• Published 18th Oct 2019
  • 3,175 Views, 32 Comments

Laughter - TheLegendaryBillCipher



What if a giant space drill, piloted by a maniacal alien jester, wound up in Equestria instead?

  • ...
1
 32
 3,175

Chapter 2: Your New Best Friend

"Twilight, what did you do?" Applejack asked as she and the others gathered around her, some of them limping.

Twilight's eyes were wide, her breathing quick. All at once she dropped the scythe. It landed on its button and the scythe blade flickered out and the pole retracted back.

"I-I didn't mean to!" she exclaimed. "I was just...just...I don't know what I was thinking!"

"Well, I don't see anything left but that gemstone," Pinkie said. "Maybe you didn't actually kill her."

"Besides, who knows what she would've done," Rainbow said. "She seemed insane."

Rarity cautiously approached the gemstone. "My word, this is the biggest stone I've ever seen. It’s almost as big as the Crystal Heart! And such a masterful cut to it!" she exclaimed.

"Might not want to touch that, Rarity," Applejack said as Fluttershy attempted to calm the hyperventilating Twilight. "Who knows what could happen."

"Yeah, she pulled that scythe out of it - who knows what else it could do?" Pinkie agreed.

Rarity nodded, but that didn't stop her from analyzing the rock at a distance. "Unless my black eye discredits me, I believe this is a spinel, though it looks like that fire ruby Spike gave me," she concluded, before returning to the group. "So now what do we do?"

Twilight looked over at the drill, having calmed down. A few more air bubbles floated to the top of the pink liquid inside. "We figure out how to stop that thing."

"Well, it's too big to lift, even if we had every tree bucker and unicorn in Equestria," Applejack said. "That much I can eyeball."

"Maybe we can teleport it?" Rarity offered.

"But where?" Twilight replied. "We don't even know what that pink stuff inside it is. And until we do, I don't want to teleport it anywhere else in Equestria."

"Well, considering that weird thing said she was going to kill us and our world, I don't think it's good," Rainbow said.

"We should regroup in Ponyville. Hopefully this thing won't move while we're gone." Twilight turned to all that remained of the strange being: her gemstone and the scythe's handle. "Rarity, you grab the gemstone. Pinkie, you get the scythe and be careful with it."

"You got it," Pinkie said with a proud salute. She ran over to the handle, gingerly picked it up, then stuck it in her mane. Rarity was a little slower in picking up the gemstone with her magic.

"I'm wondering something," Fluttershy said. "That strange creature attacked us rather quickly. Why did she have trouble hitting Pinkie?"

"I know. She snatched Rainbow Dash out of the air and took an apple tree-grade buck like it was a smack from a pillow," Applejack agreed. "And she hits hard enough to disrupt your magic, Twilight. Yet she couldn't stop Pinkie."

"Who knows?" Twilight huffed. "This day is getting really weird."


They regrouped at Sugarcube Corner where Pinkie Pie, the least injured of the group, made tea and cookies with Fluttershy's help. They were all gathered around a coffee table, on which sat the being's gemstone in the center.

Twilight stared into it, studying every angle of its facet. It was a pristine cut, Rarity was right about that, but where had the being gone? And why had she left behind her weapon and such a gemstone? What unsettled Twilight most was how hellbent she had been on killing them -- and seemed very much capable of doing so.

Pinkie noticed her friend's focus and lightly tapped her, making Twilight jump. She smiled apologetically at the alicorn. "You doing alright, Twilight?" she asked.

"I'm fine. I just...I can't believe I did that," she said with a shiver, looking back at the gemstone.

"Well, maybe you didn't kill her. She just...poofed, so maybe she's still alive somewhere."

"I don't think that's a comforting thought either, but thanks, Pinkie." She smiled softly at her friend. "I just wish I could make sense of all this. I've never read about anything like her in any book in Canterlot."

"She did come from the sky -- maybe she's not from this world," Pinkie offered. "Ergo, no books on her."

"That's what I'm worried about: how do we stop something we don't know anything about? We don't even know why she wanted to kill this Steven Universe to begin with." She frowned. "I almost wish she was back to tell us."

"Well I don't!" Rainbow Dash snapped from her seat on a couch. She had one of her wings, tender from her collision with the tree, stretched out and being examined by Fluttershy. "Not when she can toss us around like that!"

"Can't argue with her there, Twilight," Applejack grumbled. She had an ice pack atop her head in place of her hat, and her face was slightly swollen. "Anything that unnatural can just stay gone."

"I concur," Rarity grumbled, brushing her mane out. "I've never seen someone so uncivilized since Rainbow Dash around apple cider."

"Yeah -- hey, wait a minute!" the Pegasus snapped.

"Girls, calm down," Twilight said. "This, of all times, is not the time for arguing. We need to figure out how to stop her machine before it harms Equestria."

"Should we get Princess Celestia?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight gave a defeated sigh. "We may have to. I've been racking my brain trying to figure this all out, but I've got nothing. Whatever that being's plans were, they may very well succeed."

"Cheer up, Twilight, I'm sure we can-" Pinkie Pie was abruptly cut off and they all went silent when a reddish-pink glow filled the room.

Their eyes fell upon the gemstone, the source of the light. It slowly levitated into the air until it was vertical, once again upside down.

"Oh crud," Rainbow said. They all got up and backed away towards the door.

"Do you think it's going to explode?" Rarity asked, panicked.

Twilight's horn glowed and a purple bubble formed around the six of them. "Just stay close. If it does explode, I'll try to stop it," she said. A second bubble appeared around the floating gemstone.

The gemstone slowly turned until it was right-side up. A familiar, thinly built form took glowing shape from out of it, with the gemstone lodged in what would've been its chest. It looked much like the being, except its ponytails were heart-shaped buns. That, and she was giggling. As it expanded outward, it popped the magic bubble surrounding it.

"It's not going to explode?" Applejack asked. Twilight, hesitantly, lowered her shield.

"Yippee!" the glowing form suddenly squealed. Its arms extended over and grabbed hold of Pinkie Pie. Before the others could intervene, the glowing form pounced on the pink pony.

Pinkie was on her back, looking up at the being startled as she took shape finally. She was more rounded in her new form than before -- she had black, cartoonish looking eyes, her top was white with more rounded pink sleeves, and her boots had become a pair of big magenta shoes, lacking their pointed toes.

The being's grinning face was practically in Pinkie's. "I'm so excited to meet you!" she exclaimed, her eyes rolling slightly like googly eyes.

"You are?" Pinkie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course I am!" The being released her and presented herself grandly to the Pinkie and the others. "I'm always happy to see my best friend!"

Pinkie sat up and looked to the others. They shared her utterly perplexed look, save for Twilight who was stunned. She looked back at the being, who had a slight bounce in her legs.

“So…you don’t want to kill us?” Rainbow asked.

“Kill you?” The being tilted her head, perplexed herself.

“You don’t remember?” Fluttershy asked.

“Remember what?”

“Oh, I don’t know – throwing me into a tree?” Rainbow grumbled.

“Kicking me into next week,” Applejack grunted.

“Flicking me away like I was some crumb?” Rarity offered bitterly.

“Attacking me with this?” Pinkie asked, pulling out the scythe handle.

“Or me…poofing you?” Twilight asked, biting her lower lip.

The being just stood there, blinking blankly. “Nope,” she finally and cheerfully replied.

“Geez Twilight, how hard did you hit her?” Applejack whispered to her. “She doesn’t seem to remember anything.” Pinkie tilted her head, deep in thought as she replaced the scythe handle in her mane.

“She doesn’t even look the same,” Rarity agreed, looking the being up and down. “She seems much more cheerful-looking now.”

“Do you at least remember your name?” Pinkie asked the being.

The being had a look of realization cross her face. “Oh how silly of me!” she said with a giggle. “I haven’t even introduced myself. Seeing as you aren’t Gems, I should give you the whole routine.” She tapped her chin in thought. “How would a Pearl say it?”

“Gems? Pearl?” Twilight asked her friends, who each shrugged.

The being perked up and started tap dancing, a wide grin on her face. “This will be fun, aren’t you the lucky ones?” she sang. “My limbs are stretchy and I’m pink, as well! I’ll bring you endless fun and laughter – your new best friend, Spinel! Jazz hands.” She concluded with the aforementioned motion.

Pinkie applauded while the others looked on stunned. “Woo! Spinel!” she cheered. Spinel bowed to her audience like she were on a stage.

“So…you’re supposed to be her best friend?” Twilight asked, pointing at Pinkie. Spinel nodded her head with her tongue sticking dopily out.

“And you aren’t trying to use a giant drill to kill someone named Steven Universe?” Rainbow asked. Spinel shook her head.

“I’ve never heard of a Steven Universe,” Spinel admitted. “I don’t even know all of you.”

“Oh! Well, I’m Pinkie Pie. These are my friends: Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity!” Pinkie said, gesturing to each of them as she went.

“Well, any friends of my best friend are friends of mine!” Spinel said cheerfully. She stretched her arms out fully and slipped them around the ponies before her. They winced, bracing for an attack –- at least until she scooped them up in one big hug.

Pinkie beamed, even though she was practically cheek-to-cheek with Twilight and Rarity. “You gotta admit: she’s a great hugger.”

“Focus, Pinkie. We need to stop that drill,” Twilight said. “And seeing as she doesn’t even remember it, we need to figure out a way for her to remember.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea, Twi?” Rainbow asked. “If she remembers the drill, she’ll remember trying to kill us. I’m not down for a round two.”

“Twilight’s right though –- I don’t see how else we could stop that thing,” Applejack said with a sigh. “But, on the other hoof, I don’t feel like playing apple tree to her boot again."

“We’ll be better prepared now that we know what she’s capable of,” Twilight reasoned. “If worse comes to worse, we also have her weapon.” She looked down at the Gem, who seemed content bear hugging them. “Maybe if we show her the drill, she’ll remember it.”

“Well, I don’t mean to sound rude,” Fluttershy said, looking down at the Gem. “But your appearance might frighten other ponies, even if you don’t mean it to. We haven't exactly seen something like you before.”

“Oh, that’s alright – I can shapeshift!” Spinel said cheerfully, setting the collected ponies down and retracting her arms.

“Can you look more…pony-like?” Applejack asked.

Spinel nodded enthusiastically and her body glowed pink. She shifted down on all fours, taking a pony-like shape and reformed. Pinkie puffed up her cheeks and gasped: the Gem looked nearly identical to her. There were only a handful of differences: her eyes were still black, her cutie mark was three heart-shaped balloons, and, of course, her gemstone was still present on her chest.

“How’s this?” the Gem asked.

“Pinkie perfection,” Pinkie said with a nod. Spinel beamed happily.

“I think that’ll be good enough,” Twilight said. “Spinel, we need you to follow us.”

“Okie dokie pokie,” Spinel said cheerfully.

Author's Note:

Chapters 2 and 3 used to be "Your New Best Friend" together, but once it was done, I felt it was too long, so I split it between "Your New Best Friend" and "Mindscapers."

Let's keep the playlist going:

Calm After The Storm - "Calm After The Storm" from Firewatch
A Brief Respite - "Home" from Undertale
The Reformation - "system/BOOT. PearlFinal (3).Info (Piano)" by NPT Music

-The Legendary Bill Cipher