• Published 8th Sep 2019
  • 5,768 Views, 124 Comments

Hollow Knight: Soul and Magic - UnchargedShip38



With the death of Absolute Radiance and the prevention of the Shade Lord. The Knight and Grimmchild find themselves in Equestria, going through trials and tribulations while looking for a way back home.

  • ...
4
 124
 5,768

Chapter 1 (Remastered)

The bug slowly began to open its eyes, noticing that it was in some sort of prison. A wooden door with a small, barred window placed on the other side. The bug had been placed on a crude and uncomfortable bed, better than the iron benches it had slept on in the past. At least the bed seemed to have been made with feathers or some material to act as a cushion rather than the cold iron back at its home. Still, the sensation was odd since the bug had been used to just sitting in generally uncomfortable spots most of its life.

It noted there was an occasional drip of water was faintly heard in the corner as the bug got up. Was this prison that ancient where irrigation had worn out the stone over many years? It had seemed that this place hadn't been used since its inception or maybe it had been forgotten about. Yet, who captured the bug and its companion? Speaking of him...

It looked for its companion, not finding it anywhere around the room but it could feel roughly where it was. Before the bug could do anything else, the wooden door opened with a tall, at least to the bug’s standard, dark blue equine. Unlike any normal equines, which this bug had never seen, she had wings and a horn. She was decorated in regal items such as a crown and crest to affirm her importance. The bug just stared blankly at the equine, not blinking as she approached it.

The equine stood a few feet away from the bug, looking down at it with a wary look, “How did thee end up here, creature of the Void?”

The bug didn’t respond for it couldn’t without a mouth. Although it was surprising that the equine, who spoke with a feminine voice, knew of what the bug was made of. Had other Vessels made it out here but lost their lives? To leave Hallownest was nigh impossible. This made the equine a bit annoyed at its silence, “Did you not hear my question?”

This time the bug shook its head. It did hear the female's question but the bug had lacked a mouth to even speak for the Pale King made it so. Without words to speak, the Vessels would be less likely to be corrupted. The equine began to think, “You cannot speak? Mute by injury?” She got a shake in return, “I see, born without it?”

The bug nodded which made matters very complicated for the equine. Without a mouth to speak, there was only one way she could effectively communicate with this creature of the Void. A little magic always helped, “Very well, I will cast a spell to allow a better form of communication between us. I demand thee answer all my questions for the Void is not welcomed here.”

The bug gave no response before the equine’s horn glowed a dark blue, enveloping the bug for just a moment until a white barrier appeared and dissipated the spell. The alicorn gave a puzzled look, attempting the spell once more but was soundly rejected by the barrier. The barrier giving the lowest and most subtle hum after each attempt to bypass it. It was a barrier of great strength that only a mastery of magic could perform.

“It seems someone has put a barrier between us. Did thou cast it?” the alicorn questioned, getting a shake from the bug. “Strange, these types of spells are very difficult. Someone with great power must have put this barrier, but why?”

The bug was silent and looked absolutely still, not even showing any breathing or blinking. The female horse thought some more before she was left with one simple option, “In order for me to have any answers, I will have to break this barrier. If it destroys you, then so be it. It won't be the first time I had faced creatures made of Void."

The alicorn’s horn glowed a dark blue one last time before a beam fired out of it, hitting the white barrier on the bug. At first, the barrier held firm and rejected the attack like an iron wall. However, as the seconds ticked by with the persistent barrage of energy, the barrier began to crack. Under the harassment of such power, the barrier wavered before shattering, causing the bug to suddenly be engulfed by the barrier’s energy. A sharp flash ensued as the alicorn had to close her eyes. The hums of the shattered barrier fading from earshot as well.

When the flash stopped, the alicorn opened her eyes to notice the bug was strangely taller. About two or three times its original size with its block-like face being more round on the bottom with its ‘antlers’ being sharper and longer. It’s stubby arms now were longer, having hands with thin fingers. What was once a small creature that looked puny and weak now could stand easily over the alicorn princess. Yet, despite this growth, the bug was quite stunned from the effects of the barrier.

“Nnng...,” came a sound from the bug. Despite not having a mouth, a voice rang out from it in masculine tone as if it had one. Whatever spell the equine had cast, it seemed to have opened up a channel of communication between the two of them.

“The barrier prevented thy growth? For what purpose would the creator want to do so? Did they fear what thee would become?” the alicorn questioned, more puzzled than anything. What kind of logic would dictate that this creature needed to stay small and puny and not grow to its full potential?

The bug put one of its new, fully formed, hands on its head as if a migraine was occurring, “The….Pale King…..Huh?”

The bug was surprised as it could now talk, looking at its reshaped hands in surprise and wonder like it did not have before. Was all of its emptiness hidden behind a barrier now broken? For all of the enemies this bug had fought, not one could break this barrier. Its shell could be broken but this barrier was never affected by the many infected bugs back in Hallownest. Not even the Radiance herself.

“Pale King? Who is this Pale King?” the alicorn questioned further. She knew not of a Pale King in all her life nor any history of such an individual. Not a single pony or other species within Equestria's past held such a title.

The bug continued observing its new body, rising to its full stature. It flinched when it bumped its head against the ceiling as it realized that it was now too tall for this cell. “I…..He was…...my father….Our father…..All the Vessels.”

“Vessels? What are they?” More questions poured from the princess with a sense of wariness in them. It could not be helped as a bug almost twice her size now stood before her and began speaking of matters unknown to her.

“What I am….a creation to hold the Infection. Born to not have a mind or soul to corrupt but expendable if I..We fail,” the Vessel now explained, sitting back on the bed to find it now too small. It began rubbing the new face it had and noted how smooth and rounded it felt. Almost like another Vessel...The only Vessel to achieve a form like this.

The alicorn grew curious about where this Vessel had come from now that it had spilled out some information. But, she was getting off track, “Back to my original question, how did thoust get here?”

The Vessel took a moment to think back to what had caused it to end up in such a place. But what was here? It only remembered that shattered temple before it went unconscious and ended up here. A few memories of Godhome sprung forth and then the familiar roar of the Void. Flashes of the Radiance being tethered by tendrils before being shattered into essence like a pest.

“There was a….place. Godhome, as the Godseekers called it. A land stuck in dreams... I only remember my shell broke... If…you don't mind me asking, where am I?” the Vessel explained, its mind buzzing with all these past events in its head. The revelation of all it slamming into it at once. Like a hammer to a nail.

The alicorn was silent as the Vessel answered the main question to the best of its ability, earning her wary glance to drop as she could tell this was a lost soul. Well, a soulless creature, but a lost one at that. “Thou art in Equestria. The most peaceful kingdom of the land. I am one of its rulers, Princess Luna.”

The Vessel, by instinct, lowered its head and body to royalty. A behavior pushed into it from the very conception that even it did not know how. An instinct forged by God and driven by Void. “Forgive me, your majesty. I did not come here by my own will."

Luna let a small smile begin to form on her face before speaking, “I have more questions for you, however, they will be asked alongside my sister.”

“And what of my companion?” The Vessel uttered. Where had the little Grimmchild have gone to? Was it locked in another cell or had Princess Luna done something worse to it?

Luna’s face formed a frown, clearly showing her hesitation to answer a question, “The bug that holds nightmares? I believe it should remain locked for the safety of the kingdom. My own experience with that type of power has made me more careful of such things.

The Vessel rose again but kept himself slightly bent to just avoid the ceiling reminding it of his new height. “He is a part of me, a Vessel. I cannot go without him as our lives are now bound to each other."

The alicorn stood her ground firmly, “Until I or my sister allow it, behind bars it shall remain. You have no idea what kind of damage Nightmares have caused within these lands."

The Vessel went quiet, giving a slow nod as it relented. Luna’s smile returned before she turned around, “Come, my sister awaits.”

The Vessel followed the princess out of the dungeon. Upon exiting the cell, several equines in armor surrounded the Vessel with spears on sight. From a quick glance, the Vessel noted that each of them had a slight amount of fear behind their steely gaze as if they had never faced something like it before. A quick motion from Princess Luna forced the guards to lower the weapons so they could proceed. The entire trip through the winding hallways was a slow one, especially so with several guards practically glued to the Vessel. But once they reached the castle proper, the Vessel marveled at such a beautiful sight.

Clearly this castle was built with the best minds in hand with long hallways in bright colors. A checkered tile floor, many banners hanging from the walls, and stained glass windows that told stories. Only a land of great power and wealth could develop such luxuries. This was a much different experience compared to the White Palace, which was nothing but a white color ...Plus a lot of saws and thorns. Guards were stationed everywhere as a security measure, giving glares at the Vessel. By count, it seemed there were almost thirty of them, including the ones next to the Vessel.

A set of large double doors were opened with a long carpet leading into the throne room. The end of the room was elevated with two thrones upon it, one decorated in a fashion suited to Princess Luna and the other opposite. Sitting on the opposite throne, a taller alicorn with a pure alabaster coat and multicolored mane was visible. Her mane waved similarly to Luna's and she radiated a form of calming aura that permeated in the room. This must have been the other princess that Luna had mentioned.

Luna stopped walking as the larger alicorn rose to meet the new arrival. She walked with grace and calmness that it would seem like she had no fear in the creature before. Even though the Vessel was standing at her height so it could directly look into her eyes. Something felt off about the other princess that made the Vessel wary of her like Luna had been wary of him. The calming aura reminding the bug of the Radiance.

“Guards, you can lower your weapons. This void creature means no harm,” the taller alicorn spoke in a soft and motherly tone. Even so, authority also rang out from it that made the smaller equine guards relax their stances.

The guards closest to the Vessel broke off before taking posts to the side of the room. Luna whispered some words to the other alicorn, the Vessel assuming that Luna was revealing all she gathered from it. Minutes would tick by as the hushed whispers of the two Princesses were too low to comprehend. Luna would glance between her sister and the Vessel occasionally while the sister stared directly at it. Once the whispers ceased, the taller alicorn spoke with a gentle smile.

“Vessel, as I assume to call you, I am Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria. From what my sister tells me, you did not come here in a natural way. Care to explain better?” the alicorn introduced herself with no form of malice evident.

The Vessel made a respectful bow before it began to speak, “As I have told your sister, your majesty, I only remember fighting the mortal enemy of my kingdom, the Radiance. My shell broke and…I….blacked out. I and my companion woke up in a ruined temple before we were captured.”

Celestia only raised a brow at the Vessel’s explanation, “Your shell broke? Wouldn’t you have perished?”

“Yes….but I remember being swamped by a sea of void before I woke up here,” the Vessel agreed as it explained

“Sea of void? Did this sea consume thy kingdom?” Luna now asked, her wary glance returning at the thought of the Void entering their world

“No...I made sure it didn’t. I have complete control of the Void. My father turned to the Void to fight off the Radiance, leading to the creation of the Vessels. Speaking of which., how do you two know I was made of Void?” the Vessel now posed a question to the two monarchs before it. Did the Void exist in Equestria like Hallownest?

The two alicorns looked at each other before Celestia answered, “You give off a cold aura around you. We all felt it the moment you walked into the room. Void is not unique in your kingdom, it can be found in many places. So long as life exists, the Void will be there. However, it never manifests into a single entity or a single body. It is feral and uncaring whether it consumes, destroys or aids. But for the Void to take form…”

“Void given focus,” the Vessel uttered. The phrase it once heard from a large but hollowed out husk of an ancient bug that held a pool of Void. The Vessel remember having gained newfound strength when it began strengthening its connection and embracing its darker side. The Snail Shamans wise words even resonated with it.

“We beg your pardon?” Luna raised a brow

The Vessel was silent, unsure how to explain what he had just said. Before either group could say more words, a red dust appeared next to the Vessel. The dust dissipated as a bug similar in height to the vessel stood in place. It’s cloak covered its entire body besides its head, having a bat-like design coupled with red eyes. It was Grimmchild, but he had suddenly grown so quickly. A form more familiar to the Vessel.

“Apologies your majesties. A troupe master as myself should never barge into interrogations like this but I do have the right to be questioned alongside my friend. It would be quite rude if I did not give my own testimony,” Grimmchild, with a much deeper voice, spoke. No longer a child...but a Father.

Luna frowned at the Vessel of Nightmare’s sudden appearance when he should have been in the dungeon. Her action of breaking the Vessel’s seal unknowingly had allowed this Nightmare to grow as well. Their bond must have allowed Luna's actions to help strengthen the Nightmare unintentionally. The aura he began to fill the room with was beginning to unnerve the guards slightly and a faint but wicked smile creased Grimm's face.

“Normally, you both would have been sent back to the dungeon for the possibility of being a threat in Equestria. However, I do not follow such matters anymore. It is clear that you,” Celestia said, pointing at the Vessel with her hoof, “are not wanting to destroy anything in my kingdom. However, I cannot let you go without safeguards in case you have an ulterior motive.”

The Vessel didn’t understand what Celestia meant by ‘ulterior motive’ since it had already done its main purpose in life. Were the alicorns worried about the Vessel’s void being out of control? The moment the Vessel thought on that, it felt a shiver and a brief moment of those final seconds against the Radiance. The Shade Lord, Void given Focus, the ancient enemy of the Radiance...

“We are not simple supporting characters of the main play, your highness. I, for one, do not seek to murder anyone or destroy any kingdoms. That is not my purpose, despite what your sister might think. My friend here is similar with the fact he was created solely to stop the Radiance. Without the Radiance, he has no reason to be a threat. As for my purpose, I am merely a reaper of fallen souls. Worn down kingdoms of days past who's souls linger,” Grimm countered, knowing full well that the Vessel was now lacked purpose.

Celestia and Luna turned around to whisper to one another. Grimm and the Vessel shared a look before turning back to the alicorns. Whatever they were discussing, it had to be about some sort of safety precautions. But what would they do? Put a seal on both of them? Bind them in chains to prevent their strength from spilling forth? Put them back in the dungeons when they couldn't even hold Grimm.

Turning back to the two vessels, Celestia spoke, “I have decided that you will be under the guidance and care of my most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle. Consider this a test of your true nature and what actions you perform in my kingdom will be reported to me by my student. So long as you do not harm my little ponies or terrorize anyone, you can walk about freely."

"A further note, Nightmare, I will be watching you closely. There will be no warning if I suspect any foul play about you," Luna added with a glare towards Grimm

“Who is this Twilight Sparkle?” Grimm questioned, finding his dirtied cloak more offending than the glaring Princess in front of him.

Upon his question, the double doors opened as the two vessels turned to face the new arrival. They were greeted with a much smaller, a bit shorter than Luna, pony with a light purple coat. Her mane was a darker purple besides one streak of pink that was only obstructed with a horn on her head. The moment she laid eyes on the two vessels, she froze in place out of fear.

“Death is a cruel mistress,” Grimm only uttered

Author's Note:

This one was a lot more heavy-handed dialogue which should lighten up in the following chapter. How do you guys view this version of the Vessel? Who do you think the Vessel and Grimm will have a hard time getting along with?

Your feedback is highly appreciated