• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 4,538 Views, 63 Comments

Combat Baby - Closer-To-The-Sun



Several years down the line, Scootaloo is still earthbound and without a cutie mark. Feeling alienated, she looks for a new friend to hang around with. She finds the friend in the local dragon who has grown new wings.

  • ...
5
 63
 4,538

Ch. 5 Modern Romance

Chapter 5: Modern Romance

The next morning, as Celestia's sun shined in the sky, Scootaloo rode off to the Ponyville Library on her scooter. Inside of her, she felt determined to let Spike know of her change of heart, that she liked Spike back just the same. However, as she drew closer to the building, the butterflies in her grew. The determined expression on her face disappeared and was replaced by a troubled appearance. 'Gah, get it together, Scootaloo! Don't chicken out now!' she told herself as she stopped outside of the library. Trotting up to the door, she took a deep breath and knocked on the door, quickly building up her courage as fast as she could.

The door was opened by a purple unicorn with a smile, "Oh, hello there, Scootaloo. What brings you the library?"

Feeling the courage returning to her, orange pegasus spoke with confidence, "Hey, Miss Twilight Sparkle, is Spike here?"

"Oh, yes, he is!" the purple mare replied cheerfully, "In fact, he's right here." Just as Twiight finished speaking, the familiar dragon came into view from the doorframe.

"Oh, hey there, Scootaloo!" the dragon welcomed the pony, "How's it going?"

As soon as Scootaloo saw and heard the dragon, her courage fled swiftly, "Uh, I'm doing fine….um, I was wondering if you could come outside for a bit?" Scootaloo was doing her best to not be clumsy with her words.

Spike turned to Twilight and asked, "May I Twilight?" The tone of his voice sounded like that of a little filly pleading with their mother for a treat.

Twilight softly chuckled to herself as she heard her assistant's voice, "Oh, alright. Go on ahead, Spike. But finish putting away that stack of books you were on?"

"Thank you, Twilight!" Spike said as he went to finish placing the books in their proper place.

"He'll be out in just a second," Twilight gave a warm smile to Scootaloo before turning back inside to resume her tasks.

Scootaloo, who watched Spike plead with Twilight, found that her cheeks were slightly burning. She was blushing. Quickly shaking her head to get rid of the feeling, she admitted to herself that Spike did seem quite cute during that little episode.

As quick as he left, Spike returned to the open door where Scootaloo was waiting, "Ready!" He closed the door as he stepped outside, "So, what's up?"

Scootaloo was slow to respond, wanting to not make her words to seem weird or odd, "Well, I just thought we'd hang out by the ravine this morning, is that cool?" While the words came out as she wished, it still seemed like something she wouldn't say.

"Alright then!" the dragon said happily.

The two friends slowly made their way to their secret spot. Spike was the one who did most of the talking on the way over. He started talking about what had happened the night before. He was talking about his evening, helping Twilight study. Scootaloo, while she was listening and responding to the dragon, the pegasus was feeling anxious with what she wanted to get off her chest. She felt that she must tell him, and yet at the same time, she had no idea what to say to Spike.

Upon arriving at the ravine, the two laid down in the grass as they usually did. The two looked up at the cloudless sky. It wasn't long before Scootaloo gathered enough courage to start the conversation she deeply feared.

"Hey, Spike?" she spoke in a soft tone, sitting up in the grass.

"Hm?" Spike saw the pegasus move out of the corner of his eye.

Spreading her wings out, Scootaloo continued to speak, "Remember what you said yesterday?" Her wings were out because she hoped it would hide her blushing cheeks with her part of her back turned away from him.

"What I said? Oh, you mean about that time I ate forty of Pinkie Pie's cupcakes? Alright, I admit, it wasn't that many, but I did eat about twenty. I won't be doing that again since it made me really sick. I wasn't kidding about me being sick," Spike sat up in the grass as well as he felt bad about lying in his story.

Scootaloo turned her body around to Spike, her face flushed, "That's not what I mean, Spike! I mean….I mean what ya said about liking me and all…." her eyes were fixed downward at the grass as she spoke.

"O-Oh…." Spike wasn't sure what to say since she did threaten to rip his tail off he talked that again.

"Yeah….I….well, I think I kind of like you back…." Scootaloo spoke very softly. She raised her head up and talked again but with a louder tone, "But just a little, alright? Got it?" She looked at Spike who was holding his tail in his front claws, "Oh, come on, Spike! I'm not really going to rip your tail off! Besides, I'm the one who brought it up…." Scootaloo's words were soft and trailed off as she finished speaking.

"You….like me back?" the dragon asked.

Looking back down at the grass, the pegasus replied, "Y-Yes…."

"So….can I ask you something?" Spike looked at Scootaloo, who was still staring at the ground beneath that her flank and front hooves were on top of. The pegasus nodded and Spike continued, "does this mean we can be….you know….coltfriend and marefriend?"

Blushing heavily at the dragon's words, Scootaloo's voice shook, "I guess we could…."

Slowly looking up to see the dragon, Scootaloo was surprised to that Spike was in mid-pounce to tackle and happily hug her. The orange pegasus could not react fast enough to avoid the hug from the dragon. While she was admittedly enjoying the hug, she was trying to pry herself from the dragon's embrace since it felt odd and alien to her.

"Spike! Ease up on the hug already!" Scootaloo pleaded. Spike laughed as he held her close to him. The pony managed to get her hooves in a place where she was able get out of his hold, to which she was able to tackle Spike back for revenge. The two continued to mischievously wrestle with each other. It lasted for a few minutes until Scootaloo finally got the upper hand on Spike and managed pinned his front limbs and wings down against the ground, "Ha! Gotcha!"

Spike laughed good-naturedly as he was pinned under the exhausted pony, "Ha, alright, alright. You win." Spike smiled up to Scootaloo who was looking back down to him.

Looking at the dragon beneath her, Scootaloo's cheeks turned a pinkish-red shade. His warm smile struck at her and made her heart flutter. In a half annoyed and half loving tone, Scootaloo spoke, "Darn it, Spike. You are too freaking cute."

Before Spike could process what she said, the pegasus lowered her head and kissed his lips. The two experienced their first kiss together. Scootaloo's wings stood on end as a new, strange, and exciting feeling ran about her body, tingling her senses and causing her to shiver. As for Spike, he also shivered as the pony kissed him passionately. His scales stood on end and butterflies floated in his stomach as he carefully returned the kiss to the pony he now more than just liked. Both of them knew how they felt about one another: they loved each other.

As their lips parted, Scootaloo looked down to Spike, her face deeply red from her blushing. Spike looked back to her, his face more of a deep purple from color being added to his violet face. The two looked at each in silence for a few moments before Spike nervously spoke.

"So….does this mean….you and me…."

"Yes….you're mine…."