• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 4,537 Views, 62 Comments

Combat Baby - Closer-To-The-Sun



Several years down the line, Scootaloo is still earthbound and without a cutie mark. Feeling alienated, she looks for a new friend to hang around with. She finds the friend in the local dragon who has grown new wings.

  • ...
5
 62
 4,537

Ch. 6 My Own Worst Enemy

Chapter 6: My Own Worst Enemy

A few weeks passed as Scootaloo and Spike began dating. However, Scootaloo refused to use the word 'dating' since she felt it was both weird and embarrassing. She also felt that way when she and Spike told Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle about their new relationship. Oddly enough, Spike seemed quite fine with informing everypony about it, it was Scootaloo who was shy about doing so. Everypony gave them their best wishes. While it did make Scootaloo happy that their friends were all celebratory for the new couple, she still felt there was a hole inside of her heart that was nagging at her.

Late one warm afternoon, Spike and Scootaloo were relaxing with each other by what was now their special place by the ravine. Looking up at the clouds that dotted the sky, Scootaloo really felt she had to say something.

"Spike?" she asked to her dragon.

"What's up, Scoot?"

"Do you think I'm lame at all?" her voice seemed shaken.

"Huh? Why would I think that?" the purple dragon sat up in the grass.

Scootaloo did the same, "Because I'm a blank flank and I can't even fly!"

"So?"

"So?" Scootaloo was stunned by his relaxed tone, "I'm a freak! I'm almost done with school and I don't even have a cutie mark yet! Applebloom and Sweetie Belle got theirs last week, making me the only pony that doesn't have one in the entire class! And if that wasn't enough, I can't even get off the ground yet! Just look at these wings! They can't do it!" Scootaloo opened her wings to their full wingspan before lightly flapping them, gently moving a small amount of grass near where she was seated. "Even you fly better than me, and you've only had your wings for three months while these things haven't done a darn thing for me since I was born!"

Spike looked at his marefriend and stood up. He moved over to her and wrapped his front limbs around her to hug her, "Scootaloo, I don't care about that. To me, you are awesome as you are. When you get those things, it will be wonderful, but right now I love you just as you are."

A few tears were forming in the pegasus's eyes as she returned the hug, holding to her dragon, "I keep hearing that," her voice was becoming distorted, "but I just want it to be over with….I want to be who I'm supposed to be. I'm tired of fighting myself and always losing."

Spike said nothing. His eyes were closed as he comforted the pony as she hugged him and lightly sobbed against his scales. A few tears rolled off her cheeks and onto the scales. One of the claws of the dragon was carefully stroking Scootaloo's slightly tangled, purple mane.

"I'm….I'm sick of being my own stupid enemy…." the pegasus mumbled.

Opening his eyes slowly, Spike quietly spoke, "Scootaloo," the pegasus looked up at Spike, wiping the tears from her eyes with one of her hooves, "you can ride on my back."

The orange pegasus was confused at his offer, "What?"

"I know it's not the same as flying solo with your own wings, but I think it's a start for ya," Spike gave a warm smile.

Scootaloo thought about the idea for a minute before responding, "Okay…."