• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 4,532 Views, 62 Comments

Combat Baby - Closer-To-The-Sun



Several years down the line, Scootaloo is still earthbound and without a cutie mark. Feeling alienated, she looks for a new friend to hang around with. She finds the friend in the local dragon who has grown new wings.

  • ...
5
 62
 4,532

Ch. 2 My Beloved Monster

Chapter 2: My Beloved Monster

Scootaloo looked up to see the purple dragon that had flown into her, "Ah, what the heck, Spike? Geez, feels like I was hit by train," the orange pegasus commented as she rubbed her head.

Spike panicked as he closed his wings up and helped Scootaloo back on her hooves, "Oh dear, are you alright? I didn't mean to do that, honest!"

The pony was standing on her own hooves again, "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine….what happened though?"

Spike looked embarrassed, "Oh, heh….well you see, I was trying to fly again today with my new wings and I guess I lost control. Heh, guess I should stay lower to the ground for a while, huh?"

Scootaloo listened to his words, "That's right, your wings grew in a few months ago." While she commented, Scootaloo was deeply jealous, 'He's already flying with them? I've had mine for my entire freaking life and in two months he's already off the ground?' Scootaloo was bitter in her thoughts.

"Heh, yeah," Spike replied, "Though I think I'm going to stay close to the ground for a while until I get used to them."

"I guess," Scootaloo said in a detached tone to the dragon, setting her knocked over scooter upright.

"Hey, now that I think about it, aren't you supposed to be in class?" Spike asked.

"Eh, don't feel like going today," Scootaloo replied, buckling her helmet.

"Why not?"

"I just don't, okay?" Scootaloo was getting defensive as she started to scoot away.

Spike walked quickly to catch up with her, "Well, what are you going to do then?"

"What's with all of the questions?" Scootaloo counter-asked to the dragon.

"Just curious."

"Well, if you must know, I don't know."

"Well, how about I join ya?"

The pegasus stopped her vehicle, "And why do you wanna?"

Spike shrugged, "I don't know. I got nothing to do since Twilight is helping Applejack today and it's not like I have any friends around to hang out with."

Scootaloo sighed and began to move again, "Fine, whatever."

Spike smiled and followed behind, "Great! So, how are you doing today?"

The dragon received a glare from the orange pony, "You really want to know?"

"Of course! I always like to listen!"

Scootaloo gave a groan and began, "Alright, if ya really want to know, I'm not really doing that well. I'm really annoyed that Applebloom and Sweetie Belle are not really concerned about getting their cutie marks anymore. I mean, that's why we became to the crusaders, and for that matter, friends in the first place. And now, they are just so girly that it makes me sick to just think about it. I mean, for Celestia's sake, they were talking about colts they thought were cute. And a different matter, I was lack of a better term, kicked out of Cloudsdale until I can fly on my own because I've gotten to the point where no pony can fly me up to the city without being looked down upon by others. I'm thankful my sister was able to fly me up there for this long now, but I know Dash has a reputation to keep up so now I'm living with Fluttershy. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy living there with her, but I would like to go back home," Scootaloo stopped and turned her head to Spike who was still walking with her and listening to every word she spoke as he looked at her, "Ah, sorry Spike, I rambled way too much about that junk."

"No, no, it's quite alright. Sometimes you just need to get all that stuff out, you know?" Spike said as he walked on all fours since it was becoming more difficult for him to support his larger size that came with his last growth spurt.

"Guess ya got a point there," Scootaloo said, giving a very small smile to the dragon, her first true smile of the day, "Dang, you really grew a lot," Scootaloo finally took real notice, "I remember when you were the size of a filly just a few months ago and now you are the size of a full grown stallion."

"I know, it's really weird for me. And to top it off, I'm not even close to stop growing. Twilight said my new growth spurt isn't for about a few years. At least I can get used to having wings by then. Darn things are so weird on me," Spike commented as he opened his wings to slowly flap them before closing them right back up.

Scootaloo felt a strong desire to state that he has no idea what it's like for her, having wings for almost sixteen years and not fly. However, she held her tongue. Instead, she actually said something she wasn't expecting, "Ya know, it's not that bad hanging out with you, Spike." While she was surprised at what she said, it was true.

"Really?" the purple dragon asked.

"Yeah. I mean, it's not like you are talking about what colts you think are cute and wanting to ask them out," Scootaloo remembered her friends talking about such.

"I honestly doubt I would ask any colt out for a date, Scootaloo," Spike laughed, which also made the pegasus laugh.

"Guess you have a point there."

"Where are we going, by the way?"

"Oh, just to special place of mine," the orange pony said.

"Special place?" Spike was puzzled.

"Yeah," Scootaloo stated, "It's a place, that is special. It's special, and it's a place. Should I explain it further for you?"

"Alright, alright, I get it."

After about a hour of the two moving at a leisurely pace and talking about different things, from Twilight testing new spells and having them backfire to Scootaloo's first encounter with the animals in Fluttershy's cottage, they arrived to the place the pegasus talked about.

"Here were are, dragon."

Spike saw they were on top of a ravine with a few trees to provide shade. Below, the ravine was quite bare with no sign of vegetation except for the few plants near the river at the very bottom of the high cliff walls.

"How did you find this place to begin with?" Spike asked as he looked over the ledge, careful to not lose his footing.

"I saw it one day when I was begin carried by Rainbow Dash back to Cloudsdale. I thought it looked cool and I went to check it out. Seems no pony else knows about this place, so I guess it's my private hideaway," Scootaloo explained as she took her helmet off and placed it on her scooter. She then laid down beneath the tree and let out a sigh of relief, "Now this is the way to relax."

Spike took shelter under the tree closest to Scootaloo, "I have to agree, this is a nice place away from everypony."

Scootaloo sat up for a second and looked at Spike, "And if you tell anypony about this place, I'll be throwing you into the ravine myself."

"Okay, okay, I promise!" Spike panicked from the threat.

Scootaloo then laid back down and smiled as she relaxed.

The dragon and pegasus spent the day talking about different and random topics. They joked about different ponies they knew and overtime became quite friendly toward each other. As dusk came, the two returned back to Ponyville, agreeing to meet up everyday after Scootaloo's class at the ravine.

Scootaloo was happy to finally find a friend with the same mindset she had.