• Published 16th Aug 2012
  • 4,537 Views, 63 Comments

Combat Baby - Closer-To-The-Sun



Several years down the line, Scootaloo is still earthbound and without a cutie mark. Feeling alienated, she looks for a new friend to hang around with. She finds the friend in the local dragon who has grown new wings.

  • ...
5
 63
 4,537

Ch. 7 Orange Sky

Chapter 7: "Orange Sky"

"Are you sure about this, Spike?" Scootaloo asked as she was looking at Spike in front of her, seated with his wings spread out wide.

"Sure I'm sure," the dragon replied confidently.

The orange pony was still skeptical, "Umm, how do I….hold on?" she reasonably asked.

"Just fling your hooves around my neck. Then cross them to lock them in place! This will work, I'm sure of it!" Spike seemed to be sure of his method.

Scootaloo was still worried, "Have you ever flown with anypony on your back before?"

"No, but I've head some really heavy saddlebags on me a few times last week. It wasn't that bad!" the dragon gave a warm smile to Scootaloo, who blushed a little.

"O-Okay, Spike," the pegasus replied a bit flustered from his smile.

Doing as she was told, she wrapped her hooves around his long neck and locked them, holding herself closely to her dragon. Spike flapped his wings at a quick pace, to which he began to hover slightly off the ground. Worried, Scootaloo closed her eyes and gripped herself closely to Spike. She would never admit it, but she was scared. Not because she didn't trust Spike flying with her on her back or that they would crash, but she was worried about Spike pushing himself too far. Spike continued flapping his reptilian wings at a swift pace, allowing the two to hover higher above the ground. Spike then adjusted himself to allow himself to glide at a downwards angle.

"There we go, and now to shift just a bit…." the dragon spoke to himself as he glided carefully down into the ravine.

Scootaloo opened her eyes to see that Spike was gliding into the ravine. This frightened the orange pegasus, thinking Spike had pushed himself too much and caused the two to soar into the rocky ravine. She clutched tightly to Spike as she expected for both of them to crash.

However, the dragon was in complete control of his actions. Making a sharp turn upwards, Spike was able to climb up into the air quickly and gain speed, "And there we go!" the purple dragon chimed as he flapped his wings to gain more altitude.

Opening one eye slowly, Scootaloo saw that they had not crashed, but were high above the ground. She looked down and saw Ponyville below. A few ponies were looking up at the two soaring in the sky. Scootaloo could not believe it. She was finally in the air.

"So, what do ya think, Scoots?" Spike asked as he adjusted his wing beats to minimal to allow for an easy glide among the clouds.

"It's….breathtaking…." Scootaloo managed to say as she looked in every direction. Below her was the earth to which she was once grounded on. Next to her were the clouds she dreamed of being next to since she was a filly. And in the distance, Celestia's sun was beginning to disappear in the horizon, causing the sky to be painted a bold and beautiful orange.

Spike smiled happily to himself as Scootaloo gazed around at the sights from such great heights, an experience she had never enjoyed.

Still holding to Spike, the pegasus gradually opened her wings. The feathers on her wings tingled greatly against the air. It was a bizarre and alien feeling to Scootaloo, but she instantly fell in love with that feeling, just as she had fallen in love with the dragon that was carrying her.

With her wings still spread out, she held on to Spike the way she had previously when they had taken off. Closing her eyes, she gently planted a kiss on his neck and nuzzled against him, "Thank you, Spike, thank you."

Spike smiled lovingly and replied softly, "Of course."

As the air flowed through her mane, Scootaloo added, "I truly love you, Spike. So very much."

Unknown to the two lovers, something was happening just outside of their sight. On the back of the orange pegasus, there was a faint yet radiant flash near her tail. Without either of them knowing immediately, Scootaloo had finally gained her long awaited cutie mark.

END

Comments ( 33 )

Maybe a bit short, the awesomeness makes up for it. Good job! :moustache:

Nice short story.
No complaints not one!:twilightsmile:

Not a bad story. Kinda lacked some back story on Spike's feelings and ended to sudden for my taste, but in all, awsome story. First Spike x Scootaloo fic I've read and I enjoyed it. :moustache::scootangel:

Always love a good Spikaloo, great job!

So... what's the cutie marK?! :applejackconfused:

1139399 It's left ambiguous for a reason.

1139720
Lemme guess. Sequel coming soon? Or are we never gonna find out? OR BOTH?! :pinkiecrazy:

1139742 No sequel. I've already stated that in my blog entry, no sequels are planned.

so full of da'WWWWWWWWWWWW

1139720
So then, the reason is... what, exactly? Without there being a clear reason to leave it ambiguous, it looks to the reader like you left it ambiguous because you couldn't think of a good cutie mark. It does seem very odd that her cutie mark doesn't involve her scooter, since it wasn't around when it appeared.

1150551 Please be aware I took liberties with this story.

1205595 Well, I took liberties with this story. And for the quote, I thought it fitting for tsundere Scootaloo.

Good read and all but I gotta ask:Why Combat Baby ?:rainbowhuh:

2684266 She's fighting the entire way. Whether it be against her own feelings, against Spike confessing, or even her lack of cutie mark.

2684961 Oh~ :rainbowderp: With that title,the story could be misleading.:twilightblush:

2687076 Well, it's a musical reference as well. The title comes from the song of the same name from Metric, which fitted the entire fic in my opinion.

2689570 Oh,my apologies,I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable in the music department :derpytongue2:. Still,thanks for your patience with me:twilightsmile:

2691108 Not a problem, and thank you for reading!

OH HELL YES:flutterrage: That just made my night:pinkiesmile: I thank you for such a good read:pinkiehappy:

3562717 Glad you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.

That was the most adorable story I've read in quite some time:raritycry: Fantastic writing. I know I haven't read too many ships of this particular 'flavor' yet, but this is the best :scootangel: + :moustache: = :heart: I've read yet:twilightsmile:

3884844 I'm really happy you enjoyed it! And thank you so very much for reading it as well!

*sniff* that was a beautiful and well delivered story!
congrats mate!

it was nice but it was over too quickly

Not a bad story, I liked it but I do think 1 or 2 more chapters or even a flow up one shot would bring it full circle. But all in all I liked it

It's really not bad but could have seriously been more fleshed out,. been given more detail and have allowed the relationship to grow to figure out what the two had in common and what made them work and not work, not the best but still a good job.

That was over quickly. It was a great ride while it lasted though. :twilightsmile:

Its short but sweet. Wish for a sequel.

I was thinking of this the moment I saw the Chapter title.

beautiful I do say so, myself

Login or register to comment