• Published 17th Aug 2019
  • 2,844 Views, 103 Comments

Life Is Grey - redandready45



When ponies and humans meet, anything, good and bad, is possible. A sequel to Are Humans Evil?

  • ...
8
 103
 2,844

Protect The Foals! Part 1. (Ponyville, Equestria)

Vinyl Scratch sat at a café in Ponyville's marketplace with her marefriend Octavia. She was awed by all the activity around her. In the far distance, these human building machines-"cranes" they called them- we're building Ponyville's new downtown, called Ponyville North. A skyline was forming that she used to have go to Manehattan or Filllydelphia to see. All of the new buildings surrounded the tall obsidian tower called the Great Connector. The Connector, with its spiral shape, apparently was what allowed safe and easy interdimensional travel.

It was because Ponyville was the only place where a safe connection between the two worlds was possible that it became a boomtown. The boom was not built on gold or gems, but on the knowledge humans brought with them, the trade between the two worlds, and the movement of pony and human tourists. Ponyville's population had tripled in the last five years alone since human-pony relations officially opened, and it could possibly join Manehattan and Fillydelphia within a decade. Hence why they were building a whole new city near the Great Connector.

But even in the original Ponyville dowtown, soon to be called "Old Ponyville", stores, restaurants, streets, and parks were growing like crazy. Humans and ponies worked round the clock hammering, digging, and drilling, human and pony traders alike hawked goods like cell phones and apples in the marketplace, and the roads were widened to accommodate human transportation.

The sounds of commerce and construction made Vinyl feel she was in a major city, which exhilarated her. While she considered herself a proud Ponyvillian, the doldrums of living in Ponyville (before Twilight Sparkle moved there) meant that Vinyl would take any chance she got to head to the big city. Now, Ponyville was the at center of the world stage, giving her even more pride in her hometown.

Who knew what hosting a Princess' apprentice would end up bringing?

"So what was...Chicago like," Vinyl asked Octavia. Being one of the leading classical performers in Equestria, Octavia was part of one of these good will trips in Equestria. Octavia got so many connections, she eventually started her own independent tours in the US.

"Like every American city," Octavia said with a small smile. "The buildings are so tall, pegasi can struggle to get to the top." She gestured to the bustling new downtown, not pointing impolitely with her hoof. "You could find buildings like that in a city one-tenth Chicago's size."

Vinyl's eyes widened at that.

"Wooaaah," Vinyl said in awe. "So what do they eat in Chicago?" Vinyl asked. "Did you eat any cows?" Vinyl asked, letting out a smug smile. Octavia snorted in annoyance.

"These humans, despite their brutish appetites, are quite accommodating of pony palettes," Octavia said with a smile. "I tried this meal called deep-dish pizza." Vinyl loved pizza when it first came to Ponyville, and wondered what 'deep dish' meant.

"Deep dish?" Vinyl asked.

"Pizza with the thickness of a pie," Octavia said. Vinyl almost drooled at the idea, since she was just chipping away at the tasteless daisy appetizer, but stopped herself before Octavia would reprimand her.

"I'm asking because our newest DJ is a human man from Chicago," Vinyl asked.

"Is he a classical composer like myself?" Octavia asked. Vinyl let out a small grin.

"He's the opposite actually," Vinyl said. "He calls himself J-Wash. His specialty is something called 'gangsta rap'."

"Gangsters?" Octavia asked in an aghast tone. "How could anything criminal be considered entertainment?" Vinyl shrugged.

"Beats me," Vinyl said, taking a very loud slip of cucumber juice from her cup, much to Octavia's disgust.

"Must you always be so ill-mannered?" Octavia asked with disgust.

"I love you too, sugar buns," Vinyl said.


Vinyl rode the bus to the outskirts of Ponyville, near where the farms met the Everfree Forest to her place of work: KPNY 101.

The building looked plain and ordinary: one of those same steel and concrete constructions found all over Earth, with a large metal tower behind it. Yet, when Vinyl first got a job here, the technology here was almost science fiction to her ears.

The idea of sending music, news, and sports into the air through some kind of special energy amazed her. Years later, Vinyl still didn't understand how it all worked.

Naturally, as a seller of records and a for-hire DJ, Vinyl asked to become the first pony DJ in all of Equestria. Vinyl loved her job, and being a part of pony history excited her even more. She walked into her room, went up to the microphone, and spoke once the clock struck 5:00 PM.

"Yo P-Ville," Vinyl said eagerly. "This is KPNY's Vinyl After Work. Happy to fill your day with my wubs. Today, we're gonna do something a bit different. We've got a new guy today. Even though he's ugly and mean, we love him." Vinyl heard the new DJ chuckle behind him. "So give it up for Chicago's finest, J-Wash." Vinyl got out of her seat and let the huge man sit down in the chair.

Vinyl, during her numerous trips to the US, noticed how Americans had very odd habits even for humans. Among them was giving themselves these labels, despite proclaiming that every person there was equal. "German-Americans", "Hispanic-Americans", "Mexican-Americans", etc. They also put an usual stock in skin-color, despite these labels not-matching the color. People with pinkish-to-ruddy could call themselves "white Americans", while people with darker skins, like J-Wash, called themselves "black-Americans", despite J-Wash's skin being more brownish.

J-Wash was tall and broad around his waist. He wore a blue-cap with a red "C" on it backwards, a red sweatshirt labeled "The University of Chicago" (despite the reasonably warm weather), blue pants, and a pair of red sneakers, sunglasses, and this shiny gold chain with a medallion that even Vinyl thought was ostentatious.

"Yo Ponyville, what's happening," J-Wash said his broad, deep voice. "This is J-Wash on KPNY, introducing you to "Rap Hour'. The first song of the hour is going to be a song I've enjoyed since I heard it when I was 12. It's called "Get Off the Street' by 'Hoodmaster'." J-Wash pushed the button and began playing the beat. A strong sound filled the station and was heard over the radio.


Hey, ho

Hey, ho

The police think they own place,

Those motherfuckers call themselves the Master Race,

They yell and scream 'get off the street!'

They say obey or you'll get beat

I'd say the police are the real hos

The only one I trust are my bros

If police come around here

We take those bastards and kick them in rear


In an exquisite dining room in Ponyville's fanciest house, Spoiled Rich was instructing her youngest and only daughter on fine etiquette. Diamond Tiara reached for a spoon to her right.

"Young mare!" Spoiled Rich bellowed.

"Yes mother," Diamond Tiara said in an seemingly respectful voice.

"That is a cereal spoon! You should know your spoons by now!" Spoiled Rich put a hoof to her head with a sigh. "The business dinner is next week, and your behavior is an utter embarrassment."

"Ever look in a mirror," Diamond Tiara muttered.

"What was that?!"

"I will do better, mother," Diamond Tiara said in a tone that made it sound like she saw her mother as a boss and not as an employer.

After an hour of training in the art of fine dining, Spoiled Rich let out a long sigh.

"I need to relax after a long day's work," Spoiled Rich. She trotted out of the dining room to her equally luxurious den.

"Oh yeah, country clubs and opera is really hard work," Diamond Tiara muttered under her breath.

Spoiled sat in her favorite couch, pulled out a newspaper, and switched the radio on to her favorite classical station.

"Darn it," she said, "I went to the station manned by that reprobate Vinyl-," she paused as she heard the station that played "human" music. She listened to the fast-paced lyrics with utter horror.

I hate those fuckin' cops.

They think of themselves as on top.

But me and my bros,

We're gonna rise up against them ho's

A furious snarl formed on Spoiled Rich's face, before she shut off the radio.

"That...that music is utter filth," Spoiled said in a disgusted tone. "They actually let that music play in...Ponyville. The humans have already challenged our traditions, but now they wish to subvert authority!" She used her snout to ring a bell, and a blue servant mare with a silver platter cutie mark came in .

"Yes Mistress," the mare said robotically.

"Fine Service," Spoiled said to her servant. "Write many letters to our friends. This...filth shall not be permitted to stand in my town!"


Mayor Mare sat in her office, signing forms, when one of her aides burst in.

"Yes Copy," Mayor Mare said civilly.

"Madam Mayor," the young aide, a green unicorn stallion with a blue mane, said. "There is an angry mob protesting."

The Mayor trotted out the door, and to her shock, she saw a mob of dozens of ponies holding up signs and angrily jeering and shouting.

"Protect the foals, protect the foals, KPNY has got to go," the crowed chanted. And the head of the crowd was Spoiled Rich, looking especially angry. They quieted down as the Mayor approached them.

"Madame Rich," Mayor Mare said, using forced courtesy in her voice, "may I ask what this is about?"

"Mayor Mare," Spoiled Rich bellowed. "How do you feel about the corruption of our foals?" Mayor Mare looked confused.

"I...I don't follow," Mayor Mare said.

"That human radio station plays music that teaches foals to disrespect authority," a mare next to Spoiled shrieked. The rest of the crowded began shouting and protesting again. Mayor Mare put a hoof to her forehead and sighed.

"Very well," Mayor Mare said. "Step inside my office and we shall discuss it." Spoiled Rich and two other mares trotted into city hall to "have words" with the Mayor.


"On Friday, March 10, the town of Ponyville will have a referendum on whether or not allow for the creation of a Musical Safety Board to regulate and control the music that can be broadcasted within city limits," Devon Harris, the human manager of KPNY said tiredly, reading a local newspaper. He, Vinyl, and J-Wash were sitting in the employee lounge. "This referendum was instigated by Spoiled Rich. Ponyville socialite and chairpony of the Protect the Foals League. 'I am not opposed to the arts,' Spoiled Rich said in an interview. 'But I will not allow the corruption of our youth by this wretched 'music'." Devon balled the newspaper up and threw on the ground in a rage.

"Patronizing little bitch," Devon muttered. The looks on the faces of J-Wash and Vinyl said they felt the same way. "Who the hell does she think she is?"

"She's one of these ponies who sees themselves as bigger then Celestia," Vinyl muttered in an ironic tone.

"Spoiled," J-Wash uttered. "Who the hell names their child 'Spoiled'?"

"She took the name on," Vinyl said. "When ponies get their cutie marks, they usually change their names to what their marks mean."

"I've never understood the whole 'cutie mark' thing," J-Wash said. "Do these tattoos only let you do the thing you are meant to do?"

"Sorta," Vinyl said uneasily. "It is a usually a sign that a pony has found their place in the world. How does it work in the human world?"

"Well, we don't have cutie marks," J-Wash said. "A lot of people can spend their whole lives not knowing what they want to be, and what they want to do with their lives. I was studying in law at University of Chicago when I discovered I wanted to be a DJ."

"Anyways," Devon said to change the subject, "the night before, there is going to be a public debate on whether or not to create a Music Safety Board." He turned to J-Wash. "J, since this old bat is complaining about your music, you should be the one to debate."

"Me?"

"Your the one who played the music, so you've got to be the one to defend it," Devon said firmly.

"Yes sir," J-Wash said.

"According to the paper, they are going to send us a list of pre-approved questions," Devon said to J-Wash. "I want you to review and prepare answers that can said in less then one minute."

"Understood," J-Wash said. He felt his fist clench and his jaw set.

"J-Wash," Vinyl asked. "Are you OK?"

"No," he said with quiet anger. "All my life, I've dealt with these bastards who want to tell me how to live and what to listen to. I'm not gonna let this pony fascist stop me." J-Wash stood up with his head held high.

"Me too," Vinyl said, feeling righteous anger boil through her. "That old mare has always complained about my music. I've found my dream job, and I'm not gonna let her spoil it for me."

"We'll beat her, together," Vinyl said proudly, craning her neck up to look at the tall man.

"Agreed," he said with a confident smile on his face. J-Wash and Vinyl bumped their fists and hooves together.