• Published 9th Jul 2019
  • 5,122 Views, 568 Comments

Brighter Horizons - Destiny Chaser



A Human raised in Equestria by Pegasi. Oh, and he has their inherent magic. Have fun!

  • ...
21
 568
 5,122

New Beginnings

Bright Skies sighed contentedly as she stretched out on the small, soft cloud she had chosen, the warm rays of the mid-afternoon sun warming her glossy pink coat. She had chosen this particular cloud not only because it was a bit distant from the city itself and offered some privacy, but also, because it floated above the same path Flash usually took to come home. He would be there soon, she just knew it.

Flipping onto her back, she once more held up her left forelimb, admiring it’s color, fascinated by it’s sudden restoration just a few hours prior. Her magic, almost completely severed from her limb by her previous injury, had inexplicably begun to flow freely through it once more. And while she could still feel the small, random twinges caused by the nerve damage that still remained, other than that, it looked and felt as good as new.

The mare rolled back onto her belly, hugging the cloud beneath her, trying to decide whether or not to give into the pleasant, sleepy sensation caused by combined warmth of the sun and her comfortable setting. It had been about 4 hours since she had sensed her son’s epiphany, and the wonderful feeling of peace and joy that had finally returned to his troubled soul. No longer did he conceal his heart from her; and while joyful, she could still feel his remorse towards her, and the desire to reconcile with her face to face before fully bridging their connection. She would give him that, and was willing to wait for him.

Just come home my dear, I’m ready when you are.

No sooner had she this thought, when suddenly, she felt him. Bright Skies’ head popped up from it’s resting place, her hawk like vision scanning the distance. While he was still a long way off, she caught sight of him, and instantly felt her heart moved with an inexpressible longing and compassion for him.

Shaking the lethargy from her limbs, Bright Skies shot from the cloud faster than an arrow loosed from a bow, racing through the sky towards the one she loved more than any other.

Landing with a thunderous impact, she ran to him, galloping like a filly for the last few yards, not caring if anypony saw her, before tackling the human in a two legged, two winged hug, and kissed him.

Flash dropped to his knees, wrapping his strong arms tightly around her, his face buried in her neck and mane as his body shook with overwhelming emotion.

Words were not needed as their hearts rushed into the other, becoming one once more. And when they did, contrition met mercy, sorrow found joy, and parent and child reunited in bonds of boundless charity, forged stronger than anything either of them had ever known before. The bitterness in the son's heart, as great as it was, was completely lost, swallowed up in the veritable ocean of love now surrounding him within the heart of his beloved mother. She was his, and he was hers.

Bright Skies held him tightly, nuzzling her cheek against the side of his head. Despite their inner union, she could feel that he still felt compelled to say something, anything that would audibly convey his contrition over what he had said to her.

"Mother..." He began to whisper past heaving breaths,

"It's okay," she whispered back, "I've got you."

Though it had been over a month since Flash had returned to Equestria, it was only now that he finally felt like he was truly home again.


The late afternoon sun settled in the sky as Ella casually strolled through the streets of Ponyville on her way back to Twilight's castle. She was in no particular hurry to get back, enjoying the time to herself as she recollected all that had happened to her earlier that day with Flash and the Alicorn of Love.

She felt tired, but in a pleasant, satisfied way. Her heart continued to float on the euphoric feeling she had been experiencing since that morning, a feeling akin to having won the lottery, caused by the knowledge that Flash was hers, that he knew her true feelings about him, and that they could now finally explore the next stage of their relationship with each other.

Ella knew that there would be challenges. After all, he was still so young, and knew almost nothing about women, but she would be patient with him. She still smiled at the delightful thought that she was still the first girl he had ever seen or known, making her wonder if this is what Eve must have felt like when Adam first beheld her. It made her grateful for the singularly unique blessing it was to have such a rare and special young man to call her own, one that was so pure, so virtuous, and so willing to give his all for her.

She wouldn't waste that, nor spoil his innocence. No, she resolved to be the best of kind of lover, one that would only serve to elevate him, so that he would know only the ideal of a truly loving relationship, and know nothing of the quick, wasteful pleasure that she had seen so many men vainly throw themselves away on in their wicked encounters with her.

I'll love him, I'll show him what it means to have true commitment from another human being. She thought.

Ella looked up to discover that she had wandered into the center of town, right in front of Ponyville General Hospital. The homely building looked inviting enough, like much of the quaint architecture of this semi-medieval culture. But it was the red cross, painted right on the front of it's central tower, that really gave her pause for consideration.

How would these ponies even know about such a symbol? She wondered, "What does it mean to them?

The longer Ella stared at the simple sign, the more she felt old stirrings in the depths of her own soul, stirrings of a relationship that she had long neglected, despite the few utterances of prayer she had recently engaged in. But beyond the guilt she felt in her heart, she suddenly felt a longing, a desire to open that door once more, the door that her mother had taught her to trustingly open so long ago. It took her a moment to gather her nerve, trying and failing a few times to begin before she managed, despite her fears, to elevate her heart and mind to Him,

Lord God...It's me, Ella. Hey...I know we haven't exactly been on speakin' terms for a long while, and I know that I've been pretty, well, a pretty bad girl, and that after mom died, that I said that I hated you, and that I would never speak to you again.

Ella paused a moment to wipe away the tears that had begun to come to her eyes, taking a few breaths before continuing,

But, I wanted to let you know, that I didn't mean that. I was just so angry, so sad to lose her. And even though I left you, I see now, that you never left me, that you've always been there, waitin' for me to come back. And, I just...I just wanna say, how sorry I am...that I'm sorry, for everything, that I'll do better from now on...and I also want to say...thank you!

Ella almost laughed as she wiped her eyes again, a wonderful joy blossoming in her heart as she continued to tear away at the old cobwebs in this long-neglected corner of her heart,

Thank you for giving me another chance, thank you for giving me Flash! For showing me this incredible world with it's beautiful creatures, for so many new friends, and for teaching me how to love again! For showing me again the truth of what my mom told me, that the most important thing we do no matter what, is that we love, that we always love!

Ella sighed, taking a moment to catch her breath as her heart was pounding furiously in her chest.

And one more thing, dear God, please, help me not to mess this up. You know me, I could wreck a steel ball. Help me to be good to Flash, to not bring him down. Help me to be a good person, do that, and I'll never be bad again...Amen.

Ella finished her prayer with a quick petition for all the sick ponies in the hospital and a sign of the cross, almost feeling silly at the child-like simplicity of her request, as it had been so long since she had really given herself to serious prayer. Paying it no further mind, she decided that it was good enough for now, and that she would get better with practice.

Turning about, Ella spied a wooden park bench along the street, and deciding to take a load off, moved to it and took a seat. There was still an hour or two before Celestia lowered the sun, and the weather was perfect.

After all, they can make their own weather! Ella thought with a humorous smirk.

She spent the next several minutes idly observing the pastel population go about their lives, marveling still at the reality of a society of sapient, magical ponies.

They truly are beautiful creatures, Ella thought with a warm smile. It was at that moment, that she caught sight of yet another peculiarity that caused her to practically gawk with surprise. Every time she thought she was starting to get the hang of being in Equestria, the world seemed to know it and did something to unsettle her certainty, with seemingly humorous intent.

A cream colored unicorn was walking down the street past her. She had a wild, electric blue mane with highlights that was styled with a messy and yet purposeful look that communicated an air of contained energy just waiting to be released. Her cutie mark was a set of bridged eighth notes, and she was wearing a pair of stylish shades with amethyst colored lenses.

But it was not the shades that had grabbed Ella's attention, it was the fact that the mare was wearing a pair of what appeared to be large, noise canceling headphones on her ears. They were white, with teal-rimmed earpieces that sported an image of her cutie mark on either side. But other than that, they looked like any other high-end piece of electronics that she might find in any shopping mall back on earth.

No television, no phones, they seem to have barely made it past the steam engine, yet they have things like this?! Ella thought with incredulity.

The mare plodded along slowly, steadily bobbing her head in time with whatever the tune she was listening to, when she noticed Ella's curious stare. She paused in her step, cocking her head towards the human and giving a small smile.

"Hey, uh, hi. Um, whatcha listen to girl?" Ella asked, trying not to sound as awkward as she felt.

The pony said nothing, but smiled at her again, slowly walking up to her. She cocked her head to one side again, looking up at Ella with interest before tapping the headphones with one hoof and then pointing towards the human.

"Uh, yeah, sure! Do you mind?"

The mare removed her headphones with one hoof, holding them out to Ella.

"Thanks," Ella said, taking the offered headset.

"What's your name?" She asked the pony. The pony smiled and pointed at her headphones. Ella looked down and noticed a small label on the underside of one of the ear pieces. It read, 'Property of Vinyl Scratch.'

"'Vinyl Scratch?' That's your name?" Ella asked. Vinyl nodded and smiled, causing Ella to smile back.

Wow, she's so cute with that little smile of hers. Ella thought before saying, "I like your name, it's kinda cool. My name's Ella."

Vinyl bobbed her head in acknowledgement, before making a shooing motion with one hoof, urging her to have a listen. Ella willed her eyes to focus, something that she knew caused them to briefly flicker with a green glow as she had begun to notice as of late. She could now clearly see the bright joy of the mare's spirit mixed in with gentle hues of curiosity and what looked to be a small smattering of nervous anticipation. The aroma was like black cherries, and the taste like that of wild berries with a touch of spice.

Smiling, Ella slowly placed the headset over her ears, still warm from being on the pony's fluffy head. The high-quality headset instantly sealed off the noise of the world around her, and her eyes widened as she was immediately immersed in another world of marvelous sound and passion.

The music was of an electronic variety, with a vague resemblance to some of the music that she used to hear back in the club on earth; a good, solid beat punctuated by staccatos of varying pitch and tone, but that is where the similarities ended. Whereas the music she had heard in the club had a primitive, primal mood to it, made to elevate the most base passions and desires in the revealers on the dance floor, this music felt, different. It was soothing, uplifting, unlike anything she had ever heard before. It felt as if it was almost, alive.

The music flitted about joyfully, like a bird in spring. It swelled and danced, weaving together so many layers of rich sound in a warm pattern of harmony that seemed to simply wrap around her soul like a warm quilt, making her to feel as if she were being met by an old friend who was just happy to see her. It was, in a word, magical.

Ella opened her eyes, only to see Vinyl bobbing her head at the same pace she herself was, making Ella realize that the pony knew exactly what part of the song she was at, which of course meant,

She made this! Ella thought with amazement. And with that realization, she could now hear all of the heart, all of the passion, love, and care that this creature put into her work. For her, it was an extension of herself that she happily shared with others; a gift of love. Ella could see that Vinyl was leaning forward slightly, her spirt flashing with eager anticipation for some feedback from her.

Ella laughed, reaching out to gently scratch behind one of the pony's soft ears while leaning down, touching her forehead to the little pony's as she looked into her eyes, which she could now see, were a beautiful magenta in color.

"It's really, really good Vinyl, thank you." She whispered.

Ella watched as her words caused the pony's aura to light up like a fireworks display, a joyful blast of happiness, relief, and gratitude that pulsed off of her being in steady, refreshing waves that smelled like a fresh Christmas tree and carried the sweet, tangy taste of a cherry Jolly Rancher.

Vinyl crouched slightly before hopping up onto the bench with a clatter of hooves, turning about as she settled onto her haunches next to Ella and leaned into her side.

Ella rotated one of the earpieces so that she could share the headset with the pony cuddling at her side, putting an arm around her warm, soft withers while her hand found the pony's other ear, gently scratching it. She smiled as she felt the pony sigh with contentment, the little equine equally savoring the moment of sharing her life's passion with the stranger she just happened to meet in that moment. The pair sat together in comfortable silence, ensconced in the shared melody that seemed to wrap around them both like a warm hug.

Ella couldn't remember the last time she had listened to music that she had actually enjoyed, and had forgotten how wonderful it could be to simply experience the powerful stirrings that could be caused by a good song. The winding, gentle beat, the warm mare at her side, the simple comfort of enjoying the sound of music with another soul, all combined to form a symphony of harmony that filled her with a delightful sense of serenity and peace.

For the first time since arriving in Equestria, Ella no longer felt like a tourist, nor a stranger in a strange land. For the first time, she felt like she was finally home, and it was truly, beautiful.


Black darkness, searing pain, wrath, violence, blood.

“They break so easily, don’t they?”

Shattered limbs, burning flesh, agonizing screams.

“They’re pathetic, so inferior to us, they don’t deserve our pity.”

Tearing, rending...stronger, faster!

“Kill them...

"But, I don't want to! Please, don't make me!"

You don't have a choice...Kill them. KILL THEM ALL!

Flash squirmed in his sleep, the horrendous nightmare inevitably leading up to the same dreaded moment as it had done countless times before. The moment where he stabbed his mother through the heart, cutting her life to ribbons. But as the moment arrived, another presence, one strong, indomitable, and uncompromising suddenly swept into his mind, dissolving the horror before it could even manifest.

"Mom?"

A soothing warmth surrounded him, wrapping his entire being in perfect comfort, brushing away the terrible dream as if it were no more than a forgotten memory.

"Rest now my love, I am here for you, I've got you...


Princess Luna gazed down on Bright Skies' magnificent dreamscape, an ocean of clouds beneath a night sky of glittering stars and a shining moon so beautiful that the Night Princess almost felt jealous for a moment.

The mare in question was curled up in comfort on the clouds with Flash, who's appearance was like that of a boy only four years of age. The small human was huddled against her side, snug beneath her wing, sound asleep while his mother softly nuzzled his head.

Luna settled softly down next to the pair, a touched look on her face at the sight of the tender scene before her,

"I sensed the danger, but it appears that somepony beat me to it." She said. Bright Skies lifted her head, turning to look up at her,

"Your highness," she said softly with a small dip of her head. She smiled, "I'm sorry if I intruded in your domain, but, I sensed his distress and, well, tried something I wasn't sure I would be able to do, but it seems that I can." Luna smiled warmly,

"There is nothing to apologize for, dear Bright Skies. I think you handled his distress far better than even I could have, you have my gratitude, and my blessing."

Bright Skies dipped her head in humble gratitude, before turning her gaze back upon her slumbering son. Luna stepped up next to her, pausing a moment, before settling down next to them, her gaze pensive, and slightly anxious.

"Is he...going to be alright?" She asked, her voice tempered with concern. Bright Skies nodded,

"Yes, I think he is going to be just fine. He has finally allowed himself to begin healing."

Luna let out a relieved sigh, nodding her approval, but remained silent, her gaze focused and apprehensive, as if wrestling with some thought. Bright Skies didn't want to pry, but this was her dreamscape after all, and she could sense that the Princess of the Night was still worried about something.

"If I may ask, what troubles you princess?" Luna gave her a fond smile,

"You know, Flash is very blessed to have you. He is so strong of spirit, but I think that is due in no small part to his knowledge of your love for him. It makes him confident, hopeful, and that is something that he is very much going to need in the near future." Bright Skies turned her gaze back to Luna, her eyes curious,

"What do you mean?" Luna sighed, looking down, her eyes flicking back and forth in some inner debate. After a moment, she raised her head,

"My sister, has plans for Flash, plans that I do not entirely agree with nor approve of, but she is determined to move forward with them regardless."

Bright Skies stared for a moment, her own mind racing as she wondered what it could possibly be. The fact that Luna had not voiced it yet, made her wonder if it was because Celestia wanted to tell her herself? Or perhaps she wanted Flash to deliver the message? Even so, she began to have an inkling as to what it might be,

"It has something to do with the guard, doesn't it? Some special assignment? Something that you think may be unnecessarily dangerous?" Luna looked up, her eyes widened slightly with surprise,

"How do you know this?!" She queried. Bright Skies smiled,

"Because, I know my son, I know how great his passion is to protect others, and I also know that Celestia didn't allow him into the guard out of pity. She sees something in him, something that can be useful, not just for the good of Equestria, but for him as well."

Luna did not respond at first, looking to one side, her eyes wrestling with uncertainty.

"Princess, is it because you fear that something might happen to him? That you might lose him?" Luna did not meet her gaze, after a moment she finally spoke,

"He was the first friend that I made upon my return, the first one to reach out to me. He's...special, to me." She whispered, her voice quavering between fear and anger. Bright Skies nodded,

"Yes, and I can assure you, the feeling is very mutual. Flash feels the same way about you." Luna finally looked up again,

"But you're his mother! How can you be so calm about this uncertain, likely dangerous future for him?" Bright Skies sighed, gazing lovingly down at Flash,

"You can't hold onto them forever, your highness. Eventually, your children spread their wings and leave the nest. Yes, it does concern me, certainly, and I'm sure that I will feel even more anxious when I learn further details. But at the same time, I am happy in the knowledge that Flash will be happy, that he will be doing exactly what he's been trained to do, what he want's to do, what he's good at. Flash is at his best when he protects others, I think your sister knows this, and wants to give him the opportunity to fulfill his potential, not just for the good of Equestria, but for his own good as well. And frankly, as his mother? I couldn't be prouder that she would choose him. Besides," Bright Skies smirked slyly, "With friends like you behind him? I almost feel bad for the enemies of Equestria, I'm sure I won't be sorry."

This finally caused Luna's worried expression to break as she grinned a little, a small chuckle escaping her lips. "Well, I can assure you, if you are, they will be sorrier..." She said with a hint of protective anger, causing both mares to share a laugh together.

Luna rose to her hooves, reaching down with tip of one primary feather to gently brush Flash's cheek. "Thank you, Bright Skies, it is not often that I am the one receiving any sort of comfort or reassurance in this realm, you truly are a wise mother." Luna said, while noticing Bright Skies' cutie mark, a sun peaking out from behind a fluffy white cloud, shimmer for a moment.

Bright Skies dipped her head in humble acknowledgement, "I'm simply fulfilling my part, your highness."

Luna turned to leave, but paused, glancing back at her, "You know, it has been a very long time since I have instructed anypony in the lost art of dream walking, and for your first time, you did exceptionally well. Might you be interested in having lessons with me in the future?"

Bright Skies' eyes widened slightly in surprise, "Well, that is quite the offer your highness, I...might take you up on that!"

Luna smiled, "Good night, Bright Skies, and pleasant dreams to you both." She said before rising into the sky and vanishing into the moon.

Bright Skies watched her go before turning her attention back to the small human huddled against her side, nuzzling him gently while she began to softly hum a familiar tune.

Across the vast and starlit sky,
I’ll sing to you a lullaby.
To soothe your heart, and dry your tears.
Until my love calms all your fears...


Pink. That was the first thing Flash saw as his eyes slowly peeked opened. It took him a moment to realize what he was staring at, the underside of his mother's soft, strong wing.

The mare had curled up around him as he had slept on his back, taking the place of his pillow, his head and shoulders resting on her warm barrel while her wing covered his face and chest. It had been many years since he had slept under her wing like a foal, and the multiple sensations it came with brought with them a flood of fond memories from when he was very young, and the reassurance he had always experienced from her physical presence. He kept still, listening to the steady beating of her heart while feeling the rise and fall of her slow breathing which told him that she was still fast asleep.

Flash couldn't remember the last time he had slept so soundly, and was loath to rise, supremely comfortable as he was, encased in the warmth of her wing, and the love of her heart. But alas, he knew that he had to get a move on, there was still something, or rather, somepony that required his immediate attention.

As gingerly as he could, taking great care not to wake her, Flash slowly extricated himself from beneath his mother's wing, which was more difficult than he had anticipated, as he was still very sore from his little tussle with Cadance.

Note to self, never spar with love horse again...EVER. He thought with a wince.

As he finally sat up, Flash turned his head, taking a moment to contemplate the sleeping mare, the only creature he had ever known or referred to as mother. She was still in her prime, her pink coat and violet mane as rich in color as ever, all the more so now that her magic had seemingly miraculously begun flowing back through her injured limb once more, which up to this point, had appeared dull and sickly in contrast to the rest of her.

Staring at her caused his mind to wander to his birth mother, Natasha, the woman who had given him life, the one who had quite literally tossed him into Equestria, and he considered the fact that he would never know or meet her. Flash thought it strange that this knowledge did not make him sad, that he felt no real loss, at least, not enough to ruin his mood. Was he just being heartless? Or was it because this pony had so wonderfully and completely filled this key part of his life? This pony had been the perfect mother to him, he couldn't imagine life without her, and he wouldn't trade that life for anything. Still, he didn't want to be dismissive of his original parents.

After all, if it weren't for her, I would have never known mother, or Equestria.

And for that reason alone, he immediately felt grateful to his birth mother, uttering a brief prayer to the Source of all that her spirt would find rest.

Flash gently pulled the blanket up over his mother, leaning down to softly kiss the side her forehead. A wordless murmur escaped from her lips, with one corner of her mouth twitching up into a smile, but she remained asleep.

Flash smiled at the sweet sight before moving on to get a look at himself in the bathroom mirror. His face was bruised on one side, and his left eye held a good shiner. Removing his shirt, he saw that his muscled torso bore several welts and a few bruises, with one of them even shaped like a hoof.

Ugh, well, I guess I had it coming. He thought. The fact that he had taken this much damage, even though he knew Cadance had been pulling her punches, made him shudder to consider what would happen if she was really trying to hurt him.

Hooman go splat. He chuckled darkly to himself. Flash ran a hand over his smooth left shoulder, the sight of his newly restored cutie mark still causing him to smile. Thanks again, Cadance.

Done with his self-assessment, he quickly cleaned himself up, and changed into some blue slacks and a black t-shirt. At the same time, he grabbed his brown leather jacket, the one that he had worn while back on earth. He hadn't worn it since his return, and he hadn't even bothered to repair the bullet hole that was still in the back of it. After a moment's hesitation, he finally swung the heavy garment around his shoulders and put it on.

Flash glanced down at the second patch on his right sleeve, the one right below the patch of his own cutie mark. It was a patch of a rainbow-colored lightning bolt coming out of a white cloud, the cutie mark of the same mare who had gifted this special jacket to him and the one whom he was also on his way to see.

Alright Dash, let's do this.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he hoped that he would be able to get through this day without adding to his seemingly ever present collection of bruises, but the smarter part of him knew that this was probably wishful thinking.


Flash peeked around the corner of Rainbow Dash's house, glancing at the horizon to check the sun for the time. He knew he wouldn't have to wait long. Few knew it, but for as much as she slept, he knew that she always got up at the crack of dawn to go for a hard flight. He was one of the few individuals who didn't take Rainbow Dash's incredible physical prowess for granted, and appreciated just how hard the mare trained everyday to retain that peak athletic physique.

He finally caught sight of her in the distance with his sharp eyes, the vapor cone forming in front of her refracted the sunlight, making her appear like a gleaming star with a rainbow, comet-like tail descending from the heavens at an air-speed he gauged to be a comfortable 600 knots or so, well, comfortable for the likes of her. Most pegasi would give themselves a heart attack to reach those kinds of speeds which she achieved without so much as breaking a sweat.

Rainbow Dash landed in front of her modest cloud home with a flare of her powerful wings, giving them a few strong flaps before neatly folding them to her sides. She huffed a breath, wiping the sweat from her brow as she did.

Flash always thought that she was a beautiful mare, both inside and out. He still remembered the first time he met her when he was only 4 years old, when she had come in like a bolt out of the blue to defend him when he was being picked on by a few of the local colts. She was only about 4 years older than him, about the same age as Ella now that he thought about it; he had always looked up to her after that moment. She, for her part, had kindly taken him under her wing, becoming friends with him without a care in the world as to what other ponies might say. She was his first friend, his best friend, which made him feel all the more like garbage for how he had treated her for the last month.

Well, no time like the present, he thought as he stepped out into view. Flash casually leaned against the corner of the house, hands in the pockets of his jacket, "Hey Feathers," he said with a shy grin. He was the only one who called her that, an abbreviation of 'feather brain' that had, over time, evolved into an epithet that he would use to both tease as well as communicate his affection for her.

Rainbow Dash's head snapped up as she caught sight of him. She said nothing at first, her magenta eyes wide with surprise and indecision. Her mouth worked up and down silently for a second or two, a blush coming to her cheeks as a glare overtook her countenance; Flash braced himself. He made sure to roll his chin with the punch, even so, she hit hard.

Ow... He thought as he fell to his back, seeing a few stars. Rainbow Dash pounced on top of him, her front hooves slammed down on either side of his head while her rear ones planted solidly into his gut. She snarled down at him, her muzzle practically touching his nose.

"Huh, guess I deserved that, yeah?" He sheepishly quipped.

"You're DARN right you did you big, IDIOTIC BLOCKHEAD!" She furiously snapped. She then proceeded to launch into a breathtaking tirade of just how monumental a blockhead he had been, so big in fact that, among many other things, she insinuated that Princess Luna could substitute his skull for the moon and still control the tides without missing a beat. Flash for his part, simply grinned up at her the whole time, just happy to see her, to hear that scratchy voice again, even if it was at the end of a tongue-lashing so fierce that it could strip the shine off of armor. After what felt like a few minutes, it seemed she finally began to run out of steam.

"And you're just such a, a, a...buck, what the hay happened to you?" She asked, finally noticing the nice coloration on his face.

Flash chuckled as she stepped off of him, finally letting him sit up. "Well, I guess you could say love was out to get me."

"Huh?"

Flash rubbed his chin, "You know, you're the third mare to punch me in less than 48 hours. I'm hoping this isn't becoming a trend or something."

Rainbow Dash squinted slightly in confusion, opening her mouth to say something, but closed it again, remaining silent; her tail flicked in indecision as she looked hard at him, wondering what to do next. Flash smiled,

"Sorry it took so long Dash, but, can we talk?"


Rainbow Dash's laugh echoed across the plain as she listened to the latest detail of his past month, hardly able to lie still even while getting a most enjoyable and long overdue ear scritching.

"So you actually fought with her, Cadance, you actually fought with Cadance?!"

Flash sighed despondently, "Well, I don't know if you could call it so much a fight as you would call it, an attempt to fight, but it probably was more like, 'flailing angrily.'" Rainbow Dash burst out into uncontrollable giggles again, practically snorting with glee. "Yeah, yeah, laugh it up feathers, I'd like to see how well you would fare against a friggin' alicorn who's peeved at you."

"Yeah? Well I wouldn't be stupid enough to try!" She guffawed, tilting her head into his fingers to get at a particularly pleasing spot. Flash let her have her kicks at his expense, it was worth it just to be able to spend time with her. They were both sitting under the tree in the field between Canterlot and Cloudsdale, the one that they had both carved their names into when they were foals. The sun was approaching high noon, shining brilliantly in the clear blue sky. Rainbow Dash calmed down after a moment, allowing a comfortable silence to grow in between them. She snuggled a bit more closely into his side, her head resting on her forehooves.

"Well, I'm just glad to have you back Flashy." She said, causing Flash to smile.

"Yeah, glad to be back Dashie, glad to see you again." A few more beats of silence passed before she asked him,

"So...you and Ella?" Flash felt himself blush slightly, and nodded,

"Yeah." He quietly replied. He felt Rainbow smile, her head leaning against his leg.

"Hmph, well, it's about time, rookie. I always told you that there were other's out there like you."

"Yeah, yeah you did." He replied. Flash was so glad to be able to share this news with her, feeling like a major part of his life had been missing up till this moment. Rainbow had always been there for him when he had felt alone, and it felt so good to finally share his joy with her of no longer being a one of. This happy thought was distracted though, as he felt her suddenly tense against him, which experience meant that she was up to something.

"So...did you kiss her yet?"

Flash felt his cheeks immediately turn uncomfortably hot, "That's, that's none of your business!" He sputtered, almost wanting to flick her ear in retribution.

Rainbow Dash burst out into laughter again, "I'll take that as a 'no' then, huh? What's wrong Casanova? Aintcha worked up the nerve yet?" She ribbed while rolling away from his half-hearted swipe at her.

"You just had to go and spoil the moment, didn't you! You always do that when we're having a moment, you insufferable troll!" He accused. Rainbow Dash enjoyed another good laugh at his expense, and it wasn't long before Flash found himself laughing alongside her, too happy to care about her teasing. When they had both finally calmed down, Flash found himself locking eyes with her as she grinned fondly at him, and finally decided to say to her what he had wanted to say to her over a month ago.

"Thank you, Dash. Thank you for coming after me, for helping me when I got into trouble."

The vibrant pegasus smiled at him, the delight caused at his acknowledgement of her evident in her eyes, letting him know that that was all she wished to hear from him to set things right.

"You're welcome, Flash. I'd never leave you hanging, and I never will!"

Flash grinned, holding out a hand to her, "Friends?"

She nodded sharply, clasping his hand with a strong hoof, "Friends." She affirmed. Flash yanked her towards him, pulling the mare into a firm hug which she enthusiastically returned. He sighed in relief as he felt the last missing piece in his heart fall back into place. The moment was so satisfying, that he almost missed the mysterious addition that had been carved into the tree next to his and Rainbow Dash's name.

Apparently Discord had carved an image of himself, grinning like the trickster he was and giving the human a thumbs up of approval. Flash couldn't be sure, but he could have sworn he saw the image wink at him.

Flash grinned. It was a new day, life was good, and the future shown brightly before him.

Author's Note:

Tis the season, and traditionally, I have always tried to release a new chapter during this wonderful time of the year, glad I could make it so once more.

Merry Christmas my friends, may the Lord bless and keep you during this truly special season, and may your New Year be filled with joy, God love you!