• Published 7th May 2020
  • 5,514 Views, 83 Comments

We're Done being rejected - White Dragon Emporror

  • ...
19
 83
 5,514

Moving Web

Spike, in a rare sight, wasn’t in his room but sitting in his Nan's office. Apparently, she had something exciting to tell him. He was just sitting in a chair sketching a few modifications to his gear in his notebook. He heard the door creak open behind him. Smiling, the drake turned to see his Nan walking in. He noticed she seemed to have a brighter smile on her face, and an air of relief around her as if a weight was lifted off her shoulders. Curious, the teen drake turned his full attention toward the doorway. Standing there was his old teacher in her standard outfit with a few bandages on her face. Instantly, he could feel his Other growing irritated at her presence, and honestly, that was a sentiment they were currently sharing.

Noticing his grandmother had a bit of a wobble in her steps he ignored his Other for now, Spike got out of his seat and then went over to help his Nan to her seat once he reached her he gently placed a hand on her shoulder. Rosey Heart, the elderly unicorn caretaker, smiled up at her grandson in thanks. She was a bit excited and moved too fast. Ever since Spike decided to "drop out" of school to find his own way she has constantly worried about him. It's not that she doubted him or his ambition; however, she's been around awhile and seen a lot like the drake who've ended up in dark places. Her heart ached at the thought of that happening to Spike. So when Princess Twilight Sparkle came to her with an offer to help him she had to accept. She just hoped Spike will agree.

"Thank you, dear. Yes, he's already in here. Princess, please come take a seat right there." His Nan directed the alicorn to the seat next to his. Which only serves to increase the growing sense of dread and hostility within the symbiote. Shaking his head the teen guided his Nan over to her desk before going back to his seat. His emerald eyes shifted to the Element of Magic coincidently the Princess had the same response for only a second emerald and lavender met. Quickly, averting his eyes, Spike adjusted himself in his seat, closing his notebook and sliding it into his hoodie feeling the Other grab and drag the book into itself. The Lethal Protector softly sighed; hopefully, that would distract his partner long enough to get through this. Refocusing his attention on his Nan. He watched as she slowly made it to her seat behind the desk. Adjusting herself the elderly mare smiled brightly as she spoke. "Spike, the Princess here came to me with a great opportunity for you!" The mare practically cheered.

"Really!? What would that be, Nan!?" The drake said in faux excitement. As kind and understanding as his grandmother was, Spike, made sure she was oblivious to his less-than-stellar social standing in the city. Sure, she knew he was more of a loner who didn't socialize, but the fact that it was the result of the ostracization he was subjugated to by his peers was a detail the drake was determined to keep hidden from his grandma. Even if that meant he had to hide a few things from her.

"Princess Twilight came to me with the opportunity for you to go work under her!" The crimson-coated unicorn exclaimed. Spike's pupils shrunk to the size of pinpricks as his jaw clenched. He quickly and subtly jabbed his hand into his chest while bouncing in his chair a little. This was due to his Other attempt to lurch out of his chest. Before he could speak the aforementioned Princess next to him spoke up.

"Actually, Ms. Heart, it's more of an assistant position. Spike here, would help me with organizing the library and my work. Also, as we talked about earlier I'd preferred if he moved into the castle, so he doesn't have to move back and forth. It is quite a ways away, especially for those who don't have a mode of transpiration." The Princess of Friendship explained. "Of course, I would help him with any further studies of his own. It could be a bit difficult for his academic level to be validated after his decision to leave school. " Spike could feel the stare of the lavender alicorn burning into the side of his head. "With him as my student, I can guarantee he will never run into any problems like that." She assured.

"Right. Anyways, Spike, the reason I called you in here was that while this seems like a great opportunity for you I wouldn't want to make a big decision like this without your consideration." Explained the elderly caretaker. Spike blinked a few times he was completely caught off guard; however, he had a reply ready. Swallowing hard with a slightly forced smile, he turned to the Princess.

"I-"


"ACCEPT!? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US!? This is like putting the mouse in the cat's cage!"

“Calm down and help me pack. I’ll explain as we go.” Lowly spoke the teen drake putting a few articles of clothing into a backpack. The symbiote grumbled in frustration at his host's response to his distress. Spike smirked as he felt tendrils form from his back and sweep the room for items. "Anyways, my reason for going is actually quite simple. Nan wanted me to. Plus it could make a few things easier; such as getting books to further advance our gear, chances to learn more in general, and a surplus of opportunities to mess with Princess and her friend in and out of the mask." The wingless dragon could practically feel the smile of his partner at that last part. Spike chuckled slinging his bag over his shoulder.

Turning around to his bare room he saw a medium size cardboard box sealed with scotch tape. The tendrils retracted back into his body, picking up the box, Spike made his way toward the staircase. Fourteen years of his life were spent down here in relative solitude. While he had his Nan and now his Other, nothing will ever be able to replace the hours he spent at that table. Hours spent studying, crafting, designing, and dreaming. He paused once he reached the base of the stairs a whisp of a smile spread across his face as he drew in a deep breath.

"Besides… I couldn't stay here forever." And with that, they ascended the stairs.

Back upstairs, Twilight waited in the lobby with the caretaker. While on the surface she appeared calm with a smile plastered to her face, but internally she frowned in extreme confusion. The way the wingless dragon interacted and behave around the elderly mare next to her was a bit bizarre to the former student of Celestia. She also expected a lot more resistance from the drake. At the least she expected him to be a lot more hostile, but he seemed a bit more indifferent and closed off than anything. Wasn't he a rude, rebellious, and loud punk? The Princess was in deep thought now mulling over all the information she had on the purple-scaled dragon. A startling realization struck the alicorn, she truly only knew the teen's name and academic talents. Anything else was told to her by other teachers and staff, In addition to that, they've never interacted outside of class excluding his last day at school. The Element of Magic's brain tried to process the information it was generating. Quickly, Twilight calmed her mind down. A more genuine smile slipped onto her face. Maybe this was a better idea than she initially considered.

"I'm done!" Spike called out as he was exiting the basement breaking the Princess out of her thoughts. She smiled at him and nodded.

"Good, we can go whenever you're ready." The drake nodded. He placed his box on the ground and walked over to his grandmother. He smiled down at her and began to rub the back of his head.

“Well I guess this is good-“ the drake was interrupted as the mare wrapped her arms around him pulling the teen into a surprise hug.

"Dear, we're far from goodbye. I'll see you when you're off." Rosey Heart spoke softly. Spike just smiled hugging her back.

"Yeah, see you when I get off." He affirmed. After a minute he gently pulled away from the hug. Walking over to the waiting Princes of Friendship the teen picked up his box and stood next to the lavender alicorn. Twilight nodded and smile her horn began to glow a light purple.

"Alright then let's go." With a flash, the dragon and alicorn were gone. Sighing softly, Rosey Heart walked down to the basement. Sitting down on the neatly made mattress she began to glide her hand across the bed. Tilting her head up she stared at the dark concrete ceiling and closed her eyes. Smiling widely tears started to pour down her face.

"I'm glad you finally had a reason to go."