• Published 9th Jul 2019
  • 3,420 Views, 570 Comments

Scarlet - Skijarama



Forced to leave her peaceful hometown and flee for her life alongside a mysterious orphan filly named Primrose, New Equestrian war-veteran Scarlet Frost will have to use every resource at her disposal just to stay alive.

  • ...
2
 570
 3,420

Lens

It took longer than Scarlet would have liked to finally get a concrete address. The hour was well past midnight, and both her and Primrose were becoming visibly exhausted from the prolonged search and entire day on their hooves. A good night of rest would not at all be unwelcome.

However, as the two of them made their way up the street for Lens’ home, sleep was the last thing on Scarlet’s mind. After eight years, she was about to see Sharp Lens again. Eight years without any contact whatsoever. No visits, no chance encounters, not even a letter. How would he take it, she wondered? It was hard to tell, really. Eight years is a long time, a lot can change in that kind of time. Who knew if the stallion she was about to meet was at all as she remembered him?

All of those concerns and feelings of anxiety finally came to a head when the home came into sight. It was a modest, two-story building made of the same materials as everything else. What set it apart from its neighbors was the fact that the lights were on, and a few faintly-glowing runes were etched in various places around the property.

“Proximity wards,” she deduced after a moment. She took a deep breath and glanced down at Primrose. “Alright, Protea. This is the place,” she said softly.

Primrose glanced back up at her. However, instead of the relief or excitement that Scarlet had expected, the foal’s face only showed concern and worry. She was silent for a few seconds before leaning closer. “Scarl- Sorry. Sapphire, are you okay? You look nervous,” she asked in a low whisper, her eyes darting back and forth.

Scarlet blinked. “I do?” she parroted in surprise.

Primrose merely nodded.

After a few seconds of contemplative silence, Scarlet sighed and reluctantly nodded her head. “Yes, I suppose I am nervous. A little. I just haven’t seen him since the war...” she relented, turning her eyes to the home. It looked far larger than something its size should have, almost towering over her like an imposing tyrant.

Fighting back the urge to shudder, Scarlet drew herself up and began her approach. “Come on. He has proximity wards up, he’ll know we’re here. Let’s not keep him waiting.”

Primrose stayed close to Scarlet’s side, any other comments she had dying in her throat.

Suddenly, as they were coming up to the thick wooden door, a loud crash came from the other side, followed shortly by an exasperated exclamation. Scarlet and primrose both leaned back out of reflex to the burst of sound, and each gave the other a questioning look.

And then the door opened, revealing the sole occupant of the house.

Scarlet’s breath hitched in her throat. He looked just like she remembered him.

Standing in the doorway and dusting himself off, was a unicorn stallion. He was wearing a simple blue shirt with a green bandana hanging loosely over his shoulders. His fur was a dull brown color, like a fine coating of dust, while his mane and tail were a few shades darker and rather messy. A pair of circular glasses that were balanced perfectly on his nose framed his ocean blue eyes. From this angle, Scarlet caught a brief glimpse of his cutie mark, a magnifying lens with a glowing magic rune reflected in the glass.

He stared at her, eyes wide in disbelief and his jaw hanging open. Scarlet wasn’t much better, blinking a few times and trying desperately to find her words.

Finally, though, it was Lens who spoke. “Wha… Ahem! Oh, uh, Scarlet! I, uh, um…” he babbled quickly, reaching up to rub the back of his head. “I, uh, I wasn’t expecting you! It’s, uh, it’s been a long time!”

“Eight years,” Scarlet acknowledged through the lump in her throat. “It’s been eight years.”

“Yeah, it has. Wow, uh, uhm…” Lens looked around for a second, clearly not sure what to make of this turn of events. Eventually, his eyes settled on Primrose, who was peeking nervously from behind Scarlet. Lens focused on her and slowly lowered himself down to be at her eye level. “Oh… hi, there… is this your daughter?”

“N-no!” Scarlet immediately shot that notion down before she could stop herself. The volume and sharpness of her denial drew a questioning glance from Lens. She cleared her throat, composing herself. “No, no, she isn’t my daughter. I’m just looking after her for now. May we come inside?”

Lens stared at her for a few more seconds. His glasses slid down his muzzle a few inches, and that seemed to snap him back to reality. “Oh! Of course, of course, come on in! Make yourself at home!” he invited while backpedaling in and stepping aside.

Scarlet let out a sigh of relief before nodding at the filly behind her. “You go first.”

Primrose nodded shakily, then did as she was told, quickly scampering inside. Scarlet hesitated for a moment, taking a long deep breath and forcing her raging thoughts under control. Then, with her head held high, she too stepped in and closed the door behind her.

The room she entered was spacious but did not come with any seats. All along the walls were a series of framed maps, sketches, certificates and one or two artistic renditions of what some scholars believed Old Equestria looked like in its prime. Between those were bookcases, each one full to bursting with what would look to be scrap metal and junk, as well as a lot of books. A simple chandelier dangled from the ceiling, the crystal formation at its core emitting gentle golden light, in stark contrast to the purples from outside.

Lens stood in the center of it all, looking at her and Primrose with an obvious blend of confusion and excitement. He smiled broadly and stepped closer once the door was closed. “It’s good to see you again, Scarlet. How have you been?”

Scarlet winced. “I’ve been through hell and back, and when we leave here I’m diving back in again,” she wanted to say. But such an assertion would only invite concern and questions, both of which would be better off evaded. So instead she offered up a small smile. “I’m doing fine, Lens, thank you for asking.”

“That’s good to hear,” Lens said before looking down at Primrose. He studied her for a second before looking at Scarlet again. “So, uh, you gonna introduce us?”

“I’m Primrose,” the foal answered before Scarlet could, her voice low and timid. It was almost as anxious as it had been when Scarlet had first found her in her wine cellar.

“Primrose, huh? That’s a pretty name,” Lens noted before standing upright. “So, uh, Scarlet. I’m really glad to see you again, believe me, I am, but uh… what are you doing here?”

Scarlet was quiet for a second, her expression steadily becoming one of apology. “I’m sorry, Lens, but I’m afraid this isn’t a social visit. We need you to identify something, and then we should be on our way.”

It was like somepony had popped a particularly bright and cheerful balloon. Lens’ whole external demeanor shifted from elated confusion to abject disappointment. “Wha… really?” he asked as if hoping he had misheard her.

Scarlet looked down and to the side, unwilling to stare into those eyes. “Really. Again, I am sorry…”

Lens was silent for several moments, working his jaw from side to side. His disappointed expression steadily faded away, replaced with a neutral look. “Alright… uh, what is it you need me to identify?” he asked, his tone becoming simple and direct.

Scarlet turned to Primrose. “Show him.”

She hesitated, glancing back and forth between Scarlet and Lens with uncertainty. Before long, though, she withdrew the lamp from her saddlebags and held it out to him without a word.

Lens’ eyes widened, and some of the excitement from before returned to his features. “Woah! Lemme see that!” he chattered, his horn lighting up with blue light and pulling the lamp up to his face. He examined it carefully, squinting and humming to himself.

“It’s heavily warded,” Scarlet explained, stepping up to give it another close look herself. “That’s why we came to you. We were hoping your understanding of such things could tell us more about it.”

Lens didn’t say anything at first. He got a curious look on his face, and the glow on his horn grew brighter. Scarlet didn’t have time to stop him before he applied the tip to the lamp and tried to scan it.

Well, at least now she knew what it looked like from the outside.

Lens spasmed where he stood with a loud exclamation, his entire body lighting up as if struck by a lightning bolt. Scarlet could have sworn that, for a fraction of a second, she could see his skeleton silhouetted through his body. Then, with his cry tapering off, Lens dropped the lamp to the floor with a heavy thunk. He stumbled back, a hoof pressed to his head and his eyes wide. “Woah! Okay, yeah, heavily warded, I believe you,” he stammered out.

Scarlet couldn’t help but giggle to herself at the display. She was quick to compose herself and return to his side, though. “Are you alright? That looked pretty painful.”

“Well, my skull feels like I dropped a train car on it, but otherwise, yeah, I’m fine,” he dismissed her with a wave of his hoof before focusing on the lamp again. Now treating it with far more caution and respect, he lifted it in his magic and gave it another look. “Wow… where did you get this thing?”

“It’s been in my family for generations,” Primrose said, trotting forward with a little more confidence. It seemed she was taking some comfort in Scarlet’s casual candor around him. “But I dunno what it really is. Neither did my mom or dad. We were just supposed to protect it.”

Lens nodded slowly, his eyes never leaving the lamp. “I see… and where are your parents?”

Primrose’s ears folded back, her hoof scuffing along the ground. “Um… t-they…”

“Lens…” Scarlet suddenly interjected, getting his attention and looking into his eyes. “Trust me when I say that is one question you do not want the answer to.”

Lens gaped at her for several moments before clearing his throat. “Right. Sorry. Not my business, I get it,” he mumbled dejectedly before looking at the lamp once more. “Well… with all the wards this thing has on it, figuring anything out will take me a few days, at least, and I’ll need to bust out a few tools.”

“That’s fine, the lamp is pretty much indestructible,” Scarlet assured with a nod.

“Alright. I’ll get a start on it in the morning,” Lens said, his smile returning. “In the meantime, uh, would you two like to spend the night here? I mean, I have a guest room and plenty of room.”

Scarlet glanced back at Primrose, a cringe on her face. “I… appreciate the thought, Lens, but I think we’d rather use an inn-”

“No no, I insist,” Lens asserted with a raised hoof and a stern look. “No offense, you two, but you look terrible. Like, weeks of travel on the road terrible. You need a good bed, a roof over your heads, and going to an inn will just eat up your bits. I have space, food, and beds.”

“Lens, really,” Scarlet went on to protest. “I really have to decline. We’re already invading your-”

“Scarlet, stop,” Lens suddenly interrupted her, his eyes boring into hers with such intensity that any further words died in her throat. He stepped closer to her, lowering his voice. “Please, just… just stay here for a while, okay? I haven’t seen you in so long, and… I really missed you. Can I at least have a chance to catch up?”

“Lens…” Scarlet whispered, taking a step back. His eyes kept boring into her, though, making her squirm uncomfortably in place. Why did he of all ponies have to be good at looking at her like that?! It was so unfair! Eventually, Scarlet sighed in defeat and lowered her head. “Alright… thank you, Lens. Where is the guest room?”

Lens’ face lit up with a cheerful smile. “You’re welcome. The guest room is right up the stairs, the one on the left. My room is right across the hall from it,” he directed with a point of his hoof. That said, he lifted the lamp in front of him and gave it another quizzical look. “Go ahead and get comfortable. I’ll go and get this put away, and then maybe I can get you two some food?”

“The food won’t be necessary,” Scarlet said with a smile, turning for the stairs on the other end of the room. “We ate not all that long ago. Feel no need to empty your pantry on our account.”

Lens took a step after her. “You sure? I have some of those big, flat pastries you liked so much. What were they called again? Elephant ears?”

Scarlet came to a complete stop. She slowly turned to Lens with a twitching eye and a crooked grin. “Okay, now that’s just cheating.”

Lens laughed.


Around an hour and a batch of elephant ears later, Scarlet and Primrose found themselves stepping into the guest room of Lens’ home. It was a small and compact room, featuring one queen-sized bed, a simple rug, and a lamp on the nightstand that emitted sunset orange light. A few small particulates of dust floated around the light and in the faint blue shafts of light coming in through the only window in the room that gave a stunning view of the city.

Scarlet couldn’t help the immense sigh of relief that fled her lungs when she finally dropped her saddlebags to the floor and crumpled onto the bed in a heap. The tension that had built up in her entire body from weeks of sleeping on a basic bedroll bled away like a glacier in a desert as the plush mattress practically swallowed her whole.

Primrose wasn’t long in following her up, her own saddlebags resting neatly next to Scarlet’s. The filly came up to the resting mare’s side and settled down next to her. “Whew… we made it,” she mumbled, letting herself roll lazily into the crater made by the larger pony’s weight.

Scarlet nodded into the blankets before lifting her head up. “Yes, we did. We’re here…” she whispered quietly. She rolled over onto her back and stared up at the ceiling, her eyes going unfocused.

They had finally made it to Shimmervale, they had finally found Lens, and hopefully, he could give them the answers they were looking for. Hopefully, they could finally learn something about this blasted lamp and just why Silent was trying to kill Primrose over it. With any luck, this whole situation would start to make a lot more sense and she could finally know what she had uprooted her entire life for.

Sadly, her good mood could not last. Scarlet’s relaxed expression gradually began to tense up as a question wandered into her mind.

What were they going to do now?

If Lens found any answers from that lamp, they could probably set their next destination accordingly. But if he couldn’t, or if something happened that forced them to leave prematurely, then what were they supposed to do? They were both wanted fugitives, after all. There was not a place in all of New Equestria they could go where they would be safe from Silent for long.

“Scarlet?” Primrose’s voice cut through the silence, drawing her attention. The filly had sat up on her haunches and was staring at her in concern. “What are you thinking about?”

Scarlet was quiet for a few seconds before staring up at the ceiling again. “I’m just thinking about where we should go next, Primrose. When Lens is done with your Lamp, I mean,” she answered honestly. After a moment, she sat up herself and gingerly pulled her cloak up and off of her head. She folded the cloth neatly under the metal collar and set it down on the nightstand by the lamp. “I’ve been so focused on bringing us here and getting some answers that I haven’t given much thought to what we were to do after.”

Primrose hummed, leaning against Scarlet’s side. “Well… Silent’s gonna find us eventually if we stay put,” she pointed out, shuddering at the name. “So, maybe we can just run?”

“Just run?” Scarlet echoed with a short, disbelieving laugh. “And where would we run to, Prim? How long would we run for?”

“I dunno… running is all I’ve really been able to do for the last five years,” Primrose mumbled, closing her eyes. “I never think about where I’m going or who I’m gonna meet. I just go and hope…”

Scarlet sighed and draped a hoof over Primrose’s shoulders. “Well, maybe that’s worked so far, but you said yourself that every time Silent has caught up with you, he’s gotten closer to killing you and taking your lamp. If you add me to the mix, he’ll catch us far more frequently, and I’m not a match for him in battle.”

Primrose shuddered, pressing herself up to Scarlet’s side as close as she could. “You really think he’ll kill you? You’re his friend.”

Scarlet hesitated, then nodded. “Yes. He was about to kill me in the alley when you intervened. We may have been friends in the war, but if there is one thing he cares about more than his loved ones, it is his job. He won’t hesitate to cut me down if it is his duty.”

Primrose was quiet for several seconds, her head lowering. After a minute, she shifted and glanced up at Scarlet again. “And what about Lens? He’s your friend, too. If he knew what was going on... if it was his duty, would he kill you, too?”

Scarlet leaned away from the question, almost appalled. “What?! No, heavens no! I know Lens! He hates violence just as much as I do, and…” she hesitated, the words catching in her throat. She mouthed like a fish, trying to find the right way to say it, before sighing and letting the words tumble out in a quiet whisper. “And… and I know he cares about me far, far too deeply to ever do something like that.”

Primrose tilted her head to the side, her muzzle twisting with thought. “Wait… are you two in love, or something?” she asked quietly.

Scarlet’s heart skipped a beat. She gave Primrose a disbelieving look, her cheeks turning a faint shade of pink. “W-wha?! B-but… w-well, I… I mean…” she stuttered, completely and utterly flummoxed by the abrupt question. But, after a moment, she lowered her head, took a deep breath, and answered it in a low, regretful whisper. “...We were, once. Before the war ended.”

“Are you not anymore?”

Scarlet was quiet, a conflict starting up in her mind that she had tried so hard to avert by simply not thinking about it. But there it was, a battle raging in full force within her own mind. She lifted a hoof up to her chest and closed her eyes, her ears lowering. “I don’t know, Primrose… I hope not.”

“Huh?” Primrose shifted back slightly, her eyes widening. “You don’t wanna be in love? Is he a bad pony?”

Scarlet shook her head quickly. “No! No, he’s wonderful! He’s charming, he’s optimistic, he’s clever, and while he’s a little scatterbrained, he is easily one of the kindest ponies I have ever met!” she denied before realizing how she sounded. She quickly cut herself off and looked down. “It would pain me more than anything to hurt somepony so good. And if we’re in love, then...”

Scarlet sighed again and looked out the window, catching sight of the moon dipping towards the horizon in the distance. “...Then saying goodbye will be one of the most painful things I could do to him..”

Primrose just stared at Scarlet for a while, seemingly lost in thought. Then, with a gentle smile, she leaned over and rested against the unicorn’s side again. “Well… I think he probably still likes you like that,” she murmured before her mouth stretched wide open in a large and unattractive yawn. “He was really happy to see you when we showed up.”

Scarlet’s expression darkened even more. “...Yes, he was.”

The two were silent for a while after that, Scarlet trying in vain to calm down the storm that was her thoughts. After a while, though, she slowly slipped off of the bed, earning a confused, albeit drowsy, glance from the foal in the room. Scarlet smiled back down at her before putting a hoof on her head. “Go ahead and get some sleep, Prim. I have a few more things I need to tell Lens. If you need something, come get us, or shout, alright?”

Primrose allowed herself to fall over so her head thumped into the pillow. In short order, Scarlet had tucked her in and turned out the light.

“Night, Scarlet…” Primrose mumbled from the bed as the unicorn turned to go.

Scarlet paused in the doorway and nodded back at her. “Goodnight, Primrose. Sweet dreams.”

And with that, she stepped out. She closed the door behind her, plunging the room into darkness.

Author's Note:

And so our third and final main cast member enters the stage.

Fun fact: Scarlet's love of Elephant Ear Pastries is a character trait I inserted into this chapter purely as a gag, and I absolutely love it. A cute little quirk to offset so much of her serious tone and attitude.