• Published 8th Aug 2012
  • 1,080 Views, 17 Comments

Infatuation - Wheremymaresat



A pony from Fillydelphia, who is tired of his life, is fired from his job and decides to move.

  • ...
4
 17
 1,080

Chapter 8.5: Lyra's day.

This is a story. Not a long story. Just a story about my day. I felt like I needed to share it.

I woke up and felt something soft against me. It felt so smooth, so welcoming and warm. I had my hoof around it, and I felt happy. I kept my eyes closed for about five minutes, not caring what I was next to. It just felt warm, and comfortable. I wondered if maybe I should open my eyes. But why ruin the mystery? Why look upon what it was, only to find a blanket or something? Why not just stay, and imagine it was the one I wanted this with.

Eventually, I nuzzled the object. It twitched slightly. Almost as though it were... Alive? I opened my eyes slowly. Equestria's record for the most obvious blush must've been what was on my face as I saw the burgundy fur, and messy black mane of Glass Pane. I did my best not to scream with both joy and terror. "Oh! Glass!" I yelped as I jumped out of the bed with no nerve left intact. "W-what happened last night?" I said, hoping to Celestia it wasn't what I thought it was.

Glass rolled tiredly out of my bed and said with such a trustworthy expression, "You invited me to sleep in your bed last night. Nothing happened." That was a relief to hear. It started coming back to me. 'I was drunk last night' I thought to myself.

I gave out a sigh. "Thanks for giving it to me straight, Glass." I had to get out of the house today. I wanted to get some air and think about things. "Do you have anything you need to do today? Because I'll be getting groceries all day. I won't be back until at least five tonight." I said. He smiled and told me he was going to explore town a bit.

I giggled nervously while thinking 'Oh my Celestia, Glass looks so cute with bedhead. I really wish that he thought of me that way too.' I kept finding myself looking from his head to his hooves, exploring him with my eyes. I smiled at him and said "See ya later." As I left the house, I decided that i'd go talk to some of my friends. They'd be able to help me with this whole Glass situation.

'I don't think I can go to Bon-bon for this one... She's usually my first choice, but the circumstances call for somepony else.' I decided to start by going to Octavia's house. Octavia and I went to music school together and found our special talents. She played the Cello, and I played the lyre. It really was a great time in my life. Colts and Stallions meant nothing to us back then. They would only have distracted us from our musical dreams. Eventually, Octavia decided that she wouldn't date anypony who didn't have better musical talent than she did. I found myself just not finding interest in stallions until Glass came along.

I began walking to Octy's house about half way there, I remembered that she had gotten a new roommate in the last few weeks. I was kind of excited to meet this mare who was fancy enough to live with Octavia Noteworth. I giggled at the idea of an even more uptight pony than her. 'I bet she folds her tail at night to keep her bedsheets from getting hair on it.' I thought a lot of things like that to myself. It was mean, but I had to say something lighthearted to myself today. 'I bet she sorts her cereals by hay content.'

I giggled like a schoolfilly by the time I got to Octavia's house. I calmed myself down and pushed the doorbell. to hear only a WUBWUBWUBviviviviviivi WUBWUBSCREEECH! 'That's not normal...' I thought to myself. Octavia yelled something I couldn't hear and another pony yelled back.

The door opened and I was greeted by Octavia, her mane was messy, and it looked like she hadn't slept much. She smiled at me. And I smiled back at her. Her familiar face looking like it was being weighed down by stress. Her gray fur and mane all shabby-looking.

"Hi, Octy." I said, slightly concerned and slightly happy.

She smiled, "Hey! Lyra 'The Lyre' Heartstrings! How are you today?" She giggled, but her giggle was like her. Worn out, tired sounding, and yet happy.

"I'm alright." I said. "And you?" I looked at her and could already tell what the answer would be. It's odd how the world has such mundane talk. I can see how she's doing, but I have to ask anyway, just to get a conversation going.

She smiled weakly. "Tired. My roommate has kept me up all night for the past three days. Would you like to come inside?" She said without so much as a hesitation.

I walked in and sat on a livingroom chair. Her livingroom was much like a library. But with only sheet music, or collections of sheet music in book form. A white mare walked in from the kitchen but, the lighting was off. Honestly I wouldn't have noticed if she were actually a pale yellow. Her mane and tail were striped with dark and light blue, she wore sunglasses with purple lenses and her mane seemed intentionally messy. She simply waved and then went upstairs and started messing with some records.

Octavia came into the room. "Who was that?" I asked.

Octavia looked confused. "Who?" To which I pointed upstairs. "Oh, that's Just Vinyl Scratch. My new roommate. And the town's DJ."

A voice came from upstairs. Not effeminate, but not quite masculine either kinda like Rainbow Dash. "Call me by my stage name when talking to other ponies!" Octavia sighed and said "I mean DJ Pon3."

I giggled "I expected somepony a bit prissy. You two must be polar opposites." I smiled.

She looked at me. "Well, she's a good roommate. She cleans up every day. I wake up in the morning and walk down stairs, and she's already doing the dishes. Only... One problem... She cleans them with..." And before Octavia could say another word, there was a loud WUBWUBWUBWUBviviviivivivi Zipzapzippy WUBWUBWUB WWOWOWOWOWOOOOO from upstairs.

"Those..." She said.

I uncovered my ears. "I see. Wow. That must be annoying." Octy nodded. "Well... I hate putting stress on you, but I have a situation that I want to talk to you about." I said calmly.

She smiled and perked up. "Oh, anything for you, Lyra."

I blushed deeply. It was embarrassing to say. I decided to just get it over with. "I met a stallion who became my roommate, and now I think I'm in love with him, and we slept together but he's really in love with Bon-bon! And last night we went on a date because he's giving me a chance and I got drunk and invited him into my bed and I woke up next to him this morning and I don't know how to prove myself to him!" I gasped for air, as if my lungs were folding in on themselves because I spoke too much.

Octavia smiled "So you found a stallion? I was beginning to think that you were just in the closet." she giggled "Well, I suppose you should just let it be natural. who he chooses is who he chooses, isn't it? but stand up for yourself if he tries anything funny. Honestly though, Derpy knows a lot more about stallions than I do. Go talk to her instead." She said all of this so nonchalantly, I suppose I should've expected as much from somepony who has never loved before. She always wanted to be alone. Only friends. Never anything more. No matter how many stallions and even mares hit on her.

We said our goodbyes and I left just in time to escape the loud dubstep music that played a few moments later. I walked outside and did what I always did when I needed to find Derpy. I followed the trail of clouds with pony-shaped imprints where she crashed.

Derpy was by no means stupid, despite her reputation. Ponies thought she has brain problems because of her clumsyness. That's simply not the case. She has cross-eyed vision. Her intelligence is nothing to sneeze at. But she seems to stay pretty quiet about that, she's always keeping to herself when it comes to her personality. I kept walking and eventually found her. "Hi Derpy!" I said.

The gray mare looked at me and gave me a hug. She wasn't much for words, but her actions spoke louder. Her yellow eyes looked at me happily before one of them slid downward as if it were trying to escape. She smiled and gave me a quizzical look, as if to say "What brings you here?"

"I wanna talk to you about a stallion, actually. One that has worked his way into my heart." I said with a little sorrow and a little hope at the same time.

She nodded, as if to say, "Do tell,"

I told her all about Glass, and what we did, how I got drunk, the moment I fell in love with him, everything.

Derpy gave me a sympathetic look. Her eyes were wide and watery. She hugged me tight. She spoke for the first time in what must've been at least twenty four hours, judging by her voice. "I know what that's like... I'm here for you, what do you need?"

I looked at her and smiled. "You're always such a good friend. I just want some advice if you have any." I didn't want her too worried, so I had to be quite delicate with my words.

She nodded. "The best thing to do is let him know one final time how you feel, and letting him decide for himself what he wants. If he has a heart, he'll choose without putting you through any more pain." She said with a voice like silk and music. This was her real voice. But as somepony walked by, she put on a deeper fake voice. "I Just don't know how it could go wrong!" She said. She was odd at times, not letting the world hear her true self. 'But that's alright. I know that one day she'll open up. When she does, she'll find somepony who loves her for her real self, not just for her good looks.'

We said our goodbyes and I headed home.

Then things went wrong... it was 4:37... A brown pegasus mare trotted towards me. Her mane was as white as snow, One could easily say that she was taller than average, and as she trotted over, I saw her face change. Before seeing me, she had a smug grin on her face. almost an "I'm better than all of you" look. But as she saw me, her eyes clearly shifted into eyes of somepony who was not about to walk peacefully.

She rammed into me while I was distracted. "Hello, Bitch!" She said in an ear-grinding voice. Somewhat like if you rubbed a horn on a chalkboard.

"W-who are you?" I asked, shocked as I was forced back. Nopony was around they were all going home. and I just happened to be in the business district after everypony had left.

"I'm Harriet, Harriet York. But you can call me your only warning! Stay away from Glass, before you get hurt." She said, with a smirk.

"What in Equestria are you talking about?" I asked. She shoved me with her hoof and extended her wings, trying to look tough.

"He's nothing but an asshole. He's a cheater too!" She said. I could tell she was lying, but hearing it still hurt. I instantly punched her with my front right-hoof. I was angry, crying, and we were in an open empty space. I was ready to fight this little snob.

"HOW DARE YOU?" I screamed as she recovered from my punch to her face. She turned her head to look at me, only to get punched again, square in the nose. She took a step back and growled,

"FUCK YOU, BITCH!" She said as she charged at me, she flew about 3 feet above me and kicked me in the face. I was knocked down, still crying and angry. "You're nothing to him! You're a little filly who's just fucked up in the head! You're just his sex fix!" She said. 'So many lies. Maybe at one point we did have sex, and it didn't mean anything to him, but he promised he wouldn't do it again, I can't be that messed up, can I?' I got up and tackled her, pulling her hair and slapping her back and forth. She showed no signs of injury, she turned it over so that I was pinned down by her wings. She punched me multiple times. My lips started bleeding. My face was bruised, and she left when I had told her I gave up. It was too much. She laughed as she flew away. saying something like. "Now, I have an appointment with my roommate, I'll see you later, BITCH!"

I lay there for a good ten minutes before making my way home again. Glass wasn't home yet. I put on some makeup to try and cover my wounds, but it only emphasized them. I washed my face and cried in my bed. She flew so fast... She fought so hard... She couldn't have been from ponyville. Not somepony that tough.

Would Glass even care if he saw me like this? Would he even ask about Lyra's day?