• Published 8th Aug 2012
  • 1,079 Views, 17 Comments

Infatuation - Wheremymaresat



A pony from Fillydelphia, who is tired of his life, is fired from his job and decides to move.

  • ...
4
 17
 1,079

Chapter 6: Give the Mare a Chance

I didn't go to the club that night... I couldn't, after what I did to Lyra. I, instead slept for the rest of the day, and most of the night. But my sleep was tormenting. I couldn't stop thinking about Bon-bon, or what I did with Lyra. I felt like crap. Complete and total crap, in the form of Cadenza and Celestia's half-assed attempts at making a love triangle in Ponyville.

I was convinced when I woke up, that I had been asleep for years. I was that tired. But, I was not so lucky. Being asleep for so long might have meant that Lyra had forgotten anything that happened with me.

It was still night time, and I swear that Princess Luna had a spotlight on me when I awoke. As if to say, " It must feel almost as bad as having been trapped for a thousand years." I however, wasn't looking for sympathy.

I looked around, noticing that Lyra had somehow ended up next to the couch I was sleeping on. 'I wonder... Did she want something? Was she trying to do something with me?' I shivered at the idea of her possibly watching me sleep. But I suppose it's no worse than me peeking in on Bon-bon as SHE slept. 'Oh Miss Kyandi... What would you think of me if you knew what I've been up to? Maybe... Lyra should be my top priority for now. I don't want her to think that she goes unapreciated, or that all I like her for is her body.' She really was a great friend.

I gave Lyra a blanket, and went out to find somepony to give me advice. And the only pony I knew well who might be adult enough to help me was... Pinkie...

I closed the door behind myself. 'Thank goodness for magic' I thought. 'If I kicked the door closed like an earth pony, or pegasus, I might have woken Lyra.' I began walking towards Sugar Cube Corner, in the night.

Ponyville wasn't as spooky now as it seemed on my first night there. Probably because it wasn't as new to the idea of being in a nice place anymore. I now know that everything is safe here in the colorful town of ponyville. Safe for the ones who can stand it.

I walked up to the door of sugarcube corner, where Pinkie seemed to have been waiting for me already.

"Um... Hey Pinkie Pie" I said nervously. "Can I talk to you?"

The pink mare smiled brightly as if she knew something. "Sure!, come on in. The cake family is asleep though, so be quiet." She trotted inside and I followed her as she bounced childishly upstairs. When we reached her room, she sat on a chair that at first I though was flying but actually the back of it was glued to the wall. I sat on a bag of flour that had a party hat on it. When I asked her about it all she said was. "That's for special parties." Whatever that means. It seemed a bit irrational when I noticed the party-hatted ball of lint in the corner though.

"It's about Lyra... And miss Kyandi..." I said with a sigh. Pinkie nodded and started writing something on a piece of paper.

"What about them?" She asked with a bit of a frown on her face. I explained what happened in unfortunate detail. Not leaving out the slightly less appropriate parts in fear that I wouldn't get my point across otherwise. Pinkie looked very concerned. "Mr. Pane. Maybe you should go see Remy. I... I don't think I can help here. But what I will say, is that Lyra is your friend. You need to be there to help her. I'll do what I can to help out. But I can't do anything about Bon-bon. And Lyra must be so torn... Go see twilight tomorrow after work. She might be able to teach you a spell to get to Remy's casino faster. I should get some sleep though. And so should you." She led me out of the house on a slightly sour note. "goodnight, Glass." She said as I walked back to Lyra's.

The walk back didn't take long. I slipped in the house and Lyra was waiting in the living room for me. "So, you did go out. You should really leave notes when you plan on going drinking." She said, sounding slightly annoyed. I looked at her and sighs. "I was visiting Pinkie. I needed some advice." I said, hoping she'd understand. "Okay Glass..." She turned around and went to her room. "Wait, before you go to bed... W...Wanna go to The casino and get a sandwich tomorrow afternoon?" I said before she closed the door. She smiled at me weakly. "Sure, Glass. I'd be happy to get a sandwich tomorrow." She said happily.

I nodded. "And while on the subject of leaving notes. You should let me know when you plan on sleeping on the couch next to me." I said jokingly. She blushed and closed the door. 'oops...' I thought as I lied down on the couch. Luna's moon was practically gone already, but I got a nice amount of sleep before the sun rose.

I woke up at around eight AM. I got straight up and left a note saying I'd be back around one to take her to the Casino of the Air. I snuck out to head to Twilight's house. I Ran as fast as I could to get there in time to be back by 1:00.

When I reached Twilight's giant tree house. I was astounded by just how different it was from the other cookie-cutter houses in ponyville. I knocked on the door softly, and a few moments later I heard somepony talking quite loudly. "Why do I have to get the door, Twilight?" Said a young male's voice. "Because, Spike. Pinkie said that I need to teach somepony a special spell, and if I don't get ready, I'll have no time afterwards to study the anatomy of Cerberus!" Said a mare's voice.

"Fine!" Said a small dragon as he opened the front door. I looked down at him, confused. "Hey there. I'm here to see Twilight Sparkle." I smiled slightly as the baby dragon called Twilight to see me.

A purple unicorn walked up to the door as the small, purple and green dragon left. "Hello, you must be Glass." She said in an intelligent voice."Come in, come in." She said as she led me into the house. Which I now remember was also a library.

"Pinkie said you had a spell to teach me?" I said, hoping that I could figure it out within the next 4 hours and 30 minutes so as to be back in time to take Lyra to the Casino and talk to Remy. Twilight pulled up a book and said. "Yes, we're ready to teach you. First watch me demonstrate." She focused her magic into her horn and I watched in amazement as with a flash of light, she was upstairs next to Spike, who had gone to bed while we were talking.

"Oh my Celestia! How did you do that?" I said as I looked around desperately trying to find a switch or wire or trapdoor somewhere to make sure it wasn't a trick. I found nothing. Twilight giggled slightly and then got serious. "Well that's what I'm here to teach you. Now, focus your magic into your horn and think of exactly where you want to be. Try getting to that table." She motioned toward a table in the middle of the room.

"I'll try." I said as I focused my magic into my horn. I have to admit, it put a lot of strain on my head. and the light wasn't nearly as bright as that of Twilight Sparkle's teleportation. But I focused on the table, closed my eyes, I heard a *POOF* And suddenly!..... I was standing in the exact same spot I was two seconds prior. Only now I had a headache.

Twilight shook her head. "Focus on the table, and move all of your magic to your horn. Also, stand with your knees locked." She said. I couldn't help but notice how she suddenly got kinda demanding when I failed the first time. But I tried again. Following her instructions to a point.

I focused as hard as I could and tried again. This time though, I fell flat on my face from fatigue.

I woke up at 12:30 to Twilight reading a book entitled. "An egghead's guide to hiding an unconscious pony from guests"
I got up and decided it would be awesome to teleport right next to her while she read her shady book. I focused on the book and moved my magic to my horn, concentrated, and with a flash of light, I was in front of Twilight Sparkle.

"EEK!" she said, stepping back from her book as I tiredly looked up. "D-did I do it?" I asked, worn out from the effort it took. Twilight nodded and looked at me worriedly. "I don't think you're going to be able to make more than 3 trips a day with that though. You're not quite as efficient at magic as I am, but practice some more and maybe in a few months, you'll be able to teleport twenty times per day."

I smiled at her. "It's okay. I still have two trips to get where I want to go and home again. Thanks Twilight Sparkle." I said happily in a tired, relieved, and yet hurried voice. It was almost time to go, so I said my goodbyes and ran as fast as I could to Lyra's house. I passed by many ponies whom I would in other conditions would have stopped to greet. But I couldn't be late today. It was 12:55 now, and I wasn't going to let Lyra down. But I was two blocks away. I remember thinking to myself. 'What would Pinkie pie do?' almost by instinct I looked at a hanging porch-top cloth over a shop. As silly as it was, I just had to say. "Bouncy...".

I jumped on some boxes and hopped up to the cloth. which I immediately bounced off of and onto the rooftop. Cringing from the fall, my back-right leg got hurt a little, but I ran and jumped across the rooftops as fast as I could. I just hoped that I could get there before Lyra gave up on the Idea of the sandwiches. I jumped off of the last roof of the block, trying to make it home. and suddenly... I looked over to the town clock building... it was one o' clock. 'I'm late... I'm late and I have no idea what to do. Lyra is going to be so pissed!' I thought as I was about to hit the ground. just then, I panicked and teleported straight to her house. landing on the couch. 'well, I'm here, but now I only have the one teleport.' I looked around. Lyra was in her room, she didn't notice me poof in. She was reading a book. Sitting on her bed in that awkward position she always seems to.

I walked in happily. "Ready to go?" I asked. She looked up from her book and nodded. "Yeah. I am." She said as she got up and walked toward me. I looked at her and smiled. "I bet you that we can get there in ten seconds flat." I said. She looked at me quizzically. "That's impossible. Flying takes the average Pegasus thirty minutes! What makes you think we can get there faster? We don't have wings!" She said, thinking that I had gone crazy. I smirked and said. "Just close your eyes." She reluctantly did so and counted out loud to ten. "1" I focused my magic. "2" I thought of Remy's casino. "3" I concentrated on it. "4" I strained to start teleporting. "5" I took up teleporting position. "6" I realized that I was trying too hard and relaxed a bit more "7, 8, 9," With a flash of light we were there. In ten... seconds... flat. "10"

She opened her eyes and we were already at the VIP table. there were one or two other ponies since the casino was open early tonight, but for the most part, it was just us and the workers. A Pegasus who had a golden mane, white coat and blue eyes walked over to us. I knew this pony. Well, sort of. I never asked his name, nor have I seenhim since the first real day I had in ponyville. The sleeping stallion from the Inn. "Hello there. I usually don't take orders but Remy was short on staff and I owed him a favor. So can I take your order?"

I chuckled a bit. "Yes, we'll have two of the "Lyra's common" please." I said. Remy must have run out of names for sandwiches to name Lyra's favorite one. "Lyra's common." That's like naming clouds. "Rainbow's bed" But I'm just nitpicking. Lyra ordered two "Burgundy-blacks" to drink and I told her I wanted to see Remy, and that I'd be back soon. She sighed "Okay, Glass... I'll still be here when you're back." She then realized that she was sitting like a normal pony since she hadn't moved after our teleporting here. She moved back into her comfortable pozition and played with her front hooves. Actually, she called this "Twiddling her thumbs" Even though she has no thumbs.

I walked over to the stairs which had a door at the top that said "Remy's office" I walked up these stairs and tripped on the fourfth one. After this the door at the top opened and Remy stepped out. "Oh hey, Glass. Sorry, that step is 3 millimeters higher up than the others. Come on up." He said in his happy, young-sounding voice. I found him less odd now that I knew that there were other ponies like him. Nice, but serious when need be. Ponies like Lyra, and Twilight. Ponies who don't give up on friends.

I got up and walked up the rest of the stairs. I went into his office. there was a bed in there. As well as a desk and two chairs. Remy sat at one chair and offered me a seat. I sat down and sighed. He took quick notice of this. "What's on your mind, Glass?" He said seriously.

I looked at him, about to cry, but too nervous to show it. "I... I met a mare in Ponyville. A sweet, elegant, beautiful mare." I said. He looked at me in what seemed to be confused cheerfulness. "That's great Glass. So why are you sad? What happened?" He asked my with such sympathy and concern that I was caught off gaurd. "I.. I was at her house after being lost late two nights ago. and well... when I woke up... There was another pony in her shower... So I went back to Lyra's house and cried."

He frowned. "I see, well. Heartbreak is something everypony has to deal with, Glass." I looked at him straight into his goggle-covered eyes. Tears were now rolling down my face. "But... Th-that's not all... Remy..." I sobbed as I spoke these words. "I did.. I did something bad Remy. *Sniff* Something that I shouldn't have done..." I cried into my hooves for about a minute before letting him speak again.

When I was finished with the bulk of my crying. Remy spoke. "What did you do? I can help you out if you tell me what happened." When he said this I looked up. "I... I needed something to help me cope... Lyra walked in as I cried on her couch... S-she has feelings for me and I..." I couldn't talk. I cried. I cried a lot. I gathered all of the bravery I could, and finally said it. "I fooled around with Lyra... I used her..." I said, half-expecting Remy to explode in a fit of rage.

"Glass Pane..." He said, his goggles leaking with tears. "Have I ever told you why I wear these goggles?" He said, sobbing much like I was at the time. I shook my head, not willing to speak. "I used to be like you, Glass. Like everypony in FillyDelphia. I used to do what you did with Lyra. With a lot of other ponies. And one day. I realized how terrible I was acting. I gave it up. I settled down. I bought these goggles for two reasons. To hide my sadness from everypony... And to remind myself never to look back." He looked at me more closely. "Glass Pane, For the sake of Lyra's heart. I want you to go on at least one date with her. If you don't want her after that. Then find somepony you do want. But for her sake, I want you to give her a chance. Now get out of my office until you've got good news to tell me." He said. I walked over to the door and went down the stairs. 'Well, I suppose I could Give the Mare a Chance.'

Author's Note:

I'm baaaaack!~ I hope you didn't miss me too much.