• Published 8th Aug 2012
  • 1,079 Views, 17 Comments

Infatuation - Wheremymaresat



A pony from Fillydelphia, who is tired of his life, is fired from his job and decides to move.

  • ...
4
 17
 1,079

The New Pony

Infatuation: Chapter 1 The New Pony

“My name... My name is...” I tried to speak. Wait! Hold it! I’m starting way too late. I guess that memory will never quite fade away...

Let’s start again. It was a day like any other in Fillydelphia. Celestia’s sun was up, and I with it. I looked at my poor self in the mirror. I was not the “Perfect stallion”. Who am I kidding? I wasn’t even a mediocre fellow. A burgundy, thin unicorn with a messy, black mane, and amber eyes looked back at me, as if from a window of despair. My cutie mark was a chocolate truffle. Cute right? I hated having such a happy cutie mark in a place as horrible as Fillydelphia.

“Another day... Ugh!” I said. I was bored of my life, I wished for one moment. Wished that something, anything would change. I was always bored of my life. You’re probably asking why someone whose special talent was making candy would be so depressing. I’ll get to that soon, but we’re not quite there yet. Why ruin it for later, right?

I got in the shower, thinking about how today felt just like yesterday, and the day before, and every day since I got out of college. When I got out, I dried off, and went out the door, grabbing the items that I needed for work, and nothing more. I actually had to backtrack a few steps to close the door. I decided not to rush to work that day. I had plenty of time, besides, if I look around a bit, I might feel slightly better about life in general. I passed by my mailbox. Because my address was 0 Hoofington rd. I filled the empty space with my name.

My name... What were my parents thinking? My name *sigh* is Glass
Pane. It wasn’t the worst name. I could have been Randy Colt, or Celestia forbid... Quick Clop. But my name just didn’t fit right. Colts and fillies in school, used to call me “Window Hurt”. It didn’t make sense, but it still wasn’t fun. The fillies later grew out of that. The colts however, grew with it. They would follow me halfway home and charge at me, knocking me over. Then they’d stomp on me with steel horseshoes, all the while calling me “Ass pain” And making “I thought Pain was your last name” jokes. This continued all through highschool. As far as school goes though... elementary was fine, jr. high sucked, you can imagine that highschool was torture. Oh, and as for college? It was a waste of my time!


I looked around me. All the ponies in Fillydelphia were either rich, or depressed. Sometimes both. You could tell the difference pretty easily. The low-working ponies, like myself, kept their heads low. They hardly left their houses unless they had to, and usually at night, or in the rain. This was mostly to avoid the rich snobs that were too snooty to care about us “Shadier ponies” as they’ve grown to call us.

The rich snobs that live here, keep their chins to the sky, as if to say “I’m too perfect for everything.” They don’t wear jewelry, for fear that somepony would steal it. They were the bosses of the bosses of our bosses. They almost always had an expensive item, or money as a cutie mark. Whilst the rest of us either had average stuff, like mine, or if you’re unlucky you’d have a “Tramp stamp”. Something sexual or perverse. And the really unlucky ones... would have “Straight saddle” types of cutie marks. These almost always meant you were going to make the best cartoons (In your head), or you had killed someone, and being that your special talent, you did it well. Those are the reason blank flanks were something your friends and parents worried about. It usually meant you were going to get a Straight saddle, or in the guilty cases you already did but you had it removed.

There were three ways to get a cutie mark removed. The first was black market removal by a former doctor. In those situations you got out with little pain... if you got out. The second was cutting it out of yourself. This was the second most painful, but if you aren’t careful, you’ll catch tetanus. The final one... was ripping it off... The most painful possible way to get rid of your cutie mark. It would be immense torture. Most ponies can’t rip it off in one try. They’d have to bite at it for over an hour, slowly peeling it away. Blood would go everywhere if you tried this. It left the highest survival rate, but the most scarring... In more ways than one.

I finally got to work. I worked in a candy factory, but don’t think it was all dainty and fun. It was one big, divided assembly line in my eyes. I worked with chocolate, but others made lemon drops, caramel, and peppermint. Ah yes, the highlight of my day. I walked in my assembly room to see someone new in my spot. It was a younger unicorn colt, about 18 years of age. “Umm... Hey there. Who are you?”.

The colt grimaced at me, but then it turned into a smile. “I’m Hilt! Hilt Roel. And you are?” in the happiest voice I’ve ever heard. I was freaked out, but I wasn’t going to risk looking that way until I could get a good look at his cutie mark.

“I’m Pane. I don’t give out my first name...” I tried not to look away from his eyes. “What are you doing in that spot?” I asked, while in my head I thought ‘What’s going on here? Did I not get the memo about a spot switch?’

He looked at me like I was stupid. “I was hired last night. For... minimum wage...” He said. Those words wrung in my mind. A younger colt, doing my job... for less money. I knew what this meant. I ran quickly to my employee locker. Sure enough, on my locker, I saw it. There was a pink slip.

It read ‘Glass, I regret to inform you that you’ve been replaced. In other words, YOU’RE FIRED DUMBGLASS! Signed, Big Phill’ with my boss’s face stamped on a dotted line.

I cursed under my breath. “That fucking ass” I raced to my former spot and quietly looked at Hilt’s flank. Sure enough, it had a carving knife next to a jar of red liquid. He probably passed it off as strawberry jam to my gullible boss.

I left, half smiling. ‘This is my chance to start new. I’ll grab my things and move one town over. I can get out before Hilt kills again.’ I ran to my house and put a “Vacant” sign on it before I grabbed my things. I grabbed loose change, a sandwich and a few sentimental items and left without a word of goodbye to my old life.

I ran out my door and right out of town. I sprinted onward until I got about 50 yards from Fillydelphia’s front gate. I slowed down and started walking. I had a long few days ahead. Luckily, I was prepared.

Having the ability to use magic, and having that sandwich with me, I could live for weeks on my own. I also heard of a casino about half way between Ponyville and Fillydelphia.

As I walked, I started doubting myself. “What if I can’t get a job in Ponyville? What if it’s just as bad as Fillydelphia? Or worse, It could be all pompous like Canterlot. Or even have lots of straight saddle mares. I don’t want to find a mare, and get hitched, and then have her kill me with her bare hooves!” I thought about this for the rest of the day.

The next morning, I was still walking. It’s hard to sleep when you’re thinking that there’s a murderer in the town behind you. I was almost halfway to Ponyville, but there was no sign of a casino. That is, until I got over the next hill. That’s when I saw it... A casino, only two stories tall. I ran with all my strength toward it.

However... When I got to the door, I saw it was closed. The hours were on the door, it didn’t open again until later that night. At the moment there were two things I needed, a drink, and sleep. I chose to do the latter until the casino opened. So I slept... and I dreamt... I dreamt of Ponyville, and what it must be like. I dreamt of meeting the elements of harmony, or even working in a candy shop, a nice small one without assembly lines. I dreamt of finding a nice mare, and dating her. I even dreamt that I read in the newspaper about Hilt being the best at making jam sandwiches instead of a murderer. I then dreamt of falling through a place made of candy, at which point I woke up.

I saw a red pegasus with goggles on. He had a yellow and green, slightly messy mane, his goggles had green rims, and he had a 2 of diamonds for a cutie mark. He was opening the door to the casino. “Sir. Are you guys open yet?” I asked, wiping the drowsiness out of my eyes.

The red stallion looked at me like I had just asked if water is wet. “Not yet, but you look like you need a meal. Come inside mister...”

“Glass, Glass Pane.” I said, finding myself astonished that I said my first name to a total stranger. I walked inside of the casino. It didn’t look like much, flashing lights, poker tables, diner booths, and a bar. I saw a VIP table with sompony already sitting in that booth. She had a light blue and white mane, and she herself was a light blue color, similar to cyan, but not quite, there was almost a hint of green aswell. I noticed the odd way she sat, it reminded me of a scientific theory on the subject of parallel universes. It is believed that there is a world parallel to ours where the dominant species evolved from primates, but that's beside the point. I followed the red stallion to the kitchen and asked him “Sir what might your name be? And who is that mare in the booth? I thought you said you weren’t open.” He turned around, looking at me slightly annoyed.

“My name is Remy, the mare in the VIP booth is Lyra. She’s slightly famous and she loves the sub sandwiches we make here, she comes in once a week before we open to get her VIP seat. I own this casino, and we aren’t open yet. Is that all you need?” He said cheerfully. I had gotten my answers about the casino, which I now remember was called Casino of The Air, but I wanted to know what Ponyville was like.

I had to speak up so I could brace myself. “I actually want to know what Ponyville is like. I’m heading that way and I don’t know what to expect.” Remy looked at me smiling. “Oh you’re from Fillydelphia then.” He looked at my cutie mark cautiously and said. “Well I only go there for groceries. It seems nice a nice place, my former roommate lives there now, you may have heard of Pinkie Pie. Those were the good old days, but if you want to know more about Ponyville, Lyra lives there. I’ll make you two some food and drinks, go ahead and have a seat at the VIP table.” He walked off into the kitchen.

I took his advice and walked over to the VIP table, where Lyra was sitting in that primate-like fashion. I sat down. “Is that comfortable?” I asked.

Lyra turned to me and said “Yeah, even more so on a park bench.” I changed my posture to match hers. “I guess it is.” I sighed. “If I wanted to know the best and worst things about Ponyville, what would you tell me?” I asked blatantly

Lyra starred at the walls of the casino, which at said point I noticed pictures portraying the manager in various momentous occasions. In all of them, he wore his goggles. After some time thinking Lyra spoke. “The worst is definitely the lack of a candy store, my best friend has a candy related talent. I guess it just affects us personally though.”

The lack of a candy store was the least of my worries. “Isn’t there a bad part of town?” I said quizzically. She nodded at me. “There is, but you can’t really call it ‘bad’ I met a really nice guy there once, I’m getting a job there later. It’s not bad, just a different type of colorful”

Remy brought us our food and drinks that looked a lot like hayseed sandwiches but with daisies and french bread, and just some good old fashioned soda. “When you’re done I could fly Mr. Pane to Ponyville before we open. My staff can handle the place when they get here if I’m not back in time.” He looked at us, confused, before he turned away. I heard him say “The VIP booth is full of crazies.” in a whisper.

I ate my sandwich quickly, only taking time to say “You never told me the best thing about Ponyville, Lyra.” Lyra chewed her sandwich, using her hooves to pick it up instead of magic, or her mouth. She swallowed and spoke just one word. “Friendship” I was silent. Friendship? I’d only had that a few times. Other than in preschool, I’d lived a life of “dog eat dog.” I didn’t think it existed in the real world. “Friendship... okay...” I finished my sandwich and walked to the manager awkwardly.

“I’d um... like that flight now.” I said as I made sure I still had my saddle bag on me. The red pegasus looked at me and sighed. “Okay, if you think you can fit in at a place as bright as that. You need to know a few things. 1: You do NOT piss off the element of laughter. If she doesn’t punish you for it, I will. I keep my friendship serious. 2: If you make friends, you don’t hurt them. Or you’ll end up looked down upon. 3: If you’re lucky enough to find a home, pay the rent. They seem like pushovers in Ponyville but you can’t abuse their hospitality. If you break these rules, Lyra will tell me. I’m saying this for Ponyville’s benefit and yours. Come outside so I have room to fly.” I followed the stallion outside. Why was he so insistent on these rules? I had no idea. Wasn’t a friend just another word for someone who didn’t hate your guts? Was he taking me to fight outside? For a pony from Fillydelphia that was completely normal. These thoughts all ran through my mind as I walked toward the door.

I stepped outside. “So, now you’re gonna beat me up with brass horseshoes right? I know how it goes when somepony wants you to come outside. Just get it over with.” Remy opened his wings and charged at me without warning! I knew it! I knew it! I closed my eyes, and when I opened them again... I was flying! Remy had picked me up and began flying while I was bracing myself. He went at about half the speed of Rainbow Dash. Seeing as he had me on his back, that’s truly impressive. Hell! Even without me on his back that’s above average. But what surprised me the most, was that I was unharmed.

I could’ve sworn he was going to kill me! I heard his voice below me saying “If you judge somepony so easily, you’re going to need a lot of help in Ponyville! Nopony is going to try and fight you! At least, nopony who lives there!” I couldn’t speak, I had to focus on staying on Remy’s back at the moment. Before I knew it, we had stopped.

“You’ll find Ponyville just over this next hill. Come back to my casino any time you need a drink, a meal, or just a nice round of poker. I’d be happy to play you.” He said as I stepped down from his back. I used magic to give him 5 bits. “You should take this... You helped me out, even if I don’t understand what you’re doing or saying sometimes, Mr. Remy.”

He pushed my floating change back toward me with his front hoof. “You’ll understand eventually, this town isn’t dark like Fillydelphia. However, you’ll need that money to get a nice room at the inn until morning.” He smiled at me. I could hardly put this guy together. He was like multiple people at once. I thought maybe he was bipolar, or trying to put me off my guard about what Ponyville was like. “I guess I’ll be seeing you Remy.” I said.

He looked at me with that kind smile he had on his face half the time. “Yeah Mr. Pane, I’ll see ya. After all, I always have time to re-meet the new pony in Ponyville.” He flew off without another word.

I decided to just see what ponyville was like for myself. It must have been about eight o clock at night when I climbed up that hill... Half freezing in the unseasonal cold. I looked up at Luna’s moon, and prayed to Celestia that I would make this all work out somehow...

When I got to the top of the hill... I found... A town that was already asleep. Why was that? Didn’t the worker ponies need to run errands? I thought to myself as I looked at that peaceful little town known as Ponyville.