• Published 18th Mar 2019
  • 1,655 Views, 88 Comments

The Gamer's Game - Chrome Masquerade



Button Mash awakens in a strange space and receives a strange power. Not only that, but other ponies are gaining special powers of their own!

  • ...
4
 88
 1,655

Chapter 3: Skills and Thrills (edited)

The next day was a school day, and I had to get up fairly early. I hadn't felt tired the night before, but curfew was at 9:00, so I might as well get some rest, the way I saw it.

You have gained the temporary perk 'Rested'. For the next three hours, your mental stats will increase by 1.

For staying within your boundaries, you have gained 200 xp (800 until level up).

----------------------------------------

(Home, Moon's Day)

I got out of bed, had a shower and went downstairs for breakfast. As it turns out, Mom had made blueberry waffles for me.

You have eaten: Waffles.
HP +2
Essence + 3 points
Stamina +1 temporary point.

Mom looked at me pointedly. "Button. I get the impression that you have something to tell me." she not-asked, raising one eyebrow. Mare, I hate it when she does that.

Having no choice, I told her about how I got the The Gamer perk. To make the illustration easier to digest, I opened up the Party menu and invited her.

She looked seriously surprised for a moment, (can you honestly blame her?) but accepted.

Out of curiosity, I looked to her face and said, "Observe."

Name: Milano Mash
Level: ??? (Observe skill not high enough)
Title: Wonder Mom
Nature: Caregiver
Nickname: Button Mom
Relationship: Your mother
Stats: ??? (Observe skkill not high enough)
Status: She's confused, but confident that all will be explained.

I explained some of the mechanics to her, then -with her love and blessings- took my lunch, exiting the house, remembering at the last second to close the Party for the nonce.


Just for the fun of it, i decided to pronk down the path toward the schoolhouse. I noticed Pinkie Pie coming on an intercept course. Then she synced her gait with mine.

"Hi Button!"

"Hey there, miss Pie!" I responded.

She scoffed at that. "Button! 'Miss Pie' is my granny! Just call me Pinkie."

"Okay mi- er, Pinkie. What brings you this way?"

She began to speak rapid-fire, as is her style. "Weeeeell... I noticed that you were hopping along on the way to your school, I guess, and I wanted to know what would make you so joyful that you'd be hopping just so and I decided to come over to ask what it could possibly be, so here I am and-."

"For the love of Celestia, Pinkie! Take a breath!" I demanded.

Reflex Command check (Charisma + Manipulation) DC 6 - 4 successes.

Pinkie stopped and took said breath. Before I had time to say more, Pinkie pointed at the upcoming schoolhouse.

"Looks like this is your stop. Have fun! Or, as much fun as you can have at school, anyway."

With that, she waved and hopped off into the distance.


The lot of us piled into the education center, to be greeted with the sight of the rather fine-looking miss Cheerilee.

With a quick Observation, I received the following

Name: Cheerilee
Title: Learned Lady
Relationship: Your teacher
Status: Happy
Level: ??? (Observe skill not high enough)

"Good morning, class!" she greeted.

"Good morning, miss Cheerilee!" we responded in unison.

"Let me remind you that there's a test today. I hope you studied." she said.

There were a few 'aww's, but our teacher scolded, "You had plenty of time to study and plenty of warning."

With that, she started handing out papers. Basic math stuff. Simple enough.

Taking on our anthro forms, we picked up our quills.

After about 10 minutes, Twist was finished, myself coming second. A few minutes later, so were the others.

Quickly skimming over our hand-ins, Cheerilee raised an eyebrow at one before resuming.

A quick journal writing followed, mine being about a super-powered spacefaring cat.(1)

As the recess bell rang, miss Cheerilee called out, "Oh, Button Mash? -Don't worry, you aren't in trouble- i just need to talk to you for a moment."

As the rest of the students went out to play, I trotted over to our teacher's desk. "Yes, miss Cheerilee?" I queried.

"When did you get a Perk?" she asked, completely serious.

"I don't-" I began, but then she glared at me, something akin to Fluttershy's Stare.

"Do you see anything strange abut this test paper?" She asked, hoofing over the sheet.

"Uh.... No. I see that I got 100% on this."

"EXACTLY." she dryly exclaimed. "Up unto today, you've been consistently the third-worst math student, after Snips and
Snails. I don't believe that you'd improve this much in such a short time. Not only did you get every question right, but you even got the bonus question, which none of you should've been able to answer at your current grade level. It was a test to see how you reacted and not only did you get it right, you showed your work. The LONG WAY."

Yes, with my enhanced stats I had forgotten to play dumb. Oops.

"You are GOING to tell me how you improved so fast. And also tell the rest of the class. After recess."

Reflex Integrity check (DC 8) - 0 successes. Critical miss.

Under the maroon mare's spell, I had no choice. "Yes, miss Cheerilee." I droned.

After the class came back in, the teacher said, "Alright, everypony, it's time for show and tell. Due to the test we're having it late today."

Featherweight came up first. He had a bunch of photos that he'd taken over the weekend. Pretty high quality, too. He was getting pretty good at that.

Twist came up next with a tray of candy canes she'd apparently made herself, which was passed around the class.

Then it was my turn. I gulped audibly. Coming up to the front, Gamer's Mind steadied my will, dispelling my fear. I said aloud, "Party." When the screen came up, I invited everypony to the party. They all accepted, one by one.

With that, I explained the whole story, Aside from the occasional question (usually from miss Cheerilee), all was silent. With the cat finally out of the bag, I took my seat, head bowed in shame.

"Nice use of your abilities, Button." miss Cheerilee complimented me.

This surprised me. "You... aren't mad?"

"No! Far from it! You used your ability to improve yourself! That's worh celebrating. And you actually stepped up and confessed it. That takes guts."

Apparently she wasn't fully aware of her powers of Manipulation.

"Everypony, let's give Button a round of applause for being so brave."

There was resounding appluse from the class, much to my embarassment.

You have gained two levels. (+2 max damage threshhold, +2 Essence, +4 BP)
You have gained 10 reputation points.
You have the temporary adoration of the class. Mostly, at least.
Would you like to save your progress? (Yes No)

Uh.... Do fish MOVE?!

(Yes)

Game Saved.

Author's Note:

1: The actual series was caled "Cosmo Cat and the Cosmic Kitties" or something like that.