• Published 18th Mar 2019
  • 715 Views, 32 Comments

Rescue On Devaron - FourShadow



With Master Sandalwood captured, Jedi Master Derpy must lead a team to mount a rescue!

  • ...
4
 32
 715

Chapter 2: Arrival

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank Scholary-Cimmerian again for the help on this chapter, it really helped me out.

Thanks for the help, and I hope you all enjoy this chapter!:twilightsmile:

The freighter kept on course through hyperspace. With everyone on board, the clones started to settle in for the trip for the time being. Eventually they were all called to the main bridge so Derpy could address them all. As soon as everyone was gathered, Derpy turned her undivided attention towards them.

"Okay, we're on course... we should be good," Derpy said, spinning around in the chair. "Alright everyone. So, are you all ready for the mission briefing?"

Everyone gave a few nods and 'yes sir' in there.

"Okay. Right now, we're on our way to Devaron. We are going to rescue Jedi Master Sandalwood, who's being held in a Storm outpost. He's holding secret information about Republic battle plans, which could be critical to the outcome of the war. At least, that’s what Master Sparkle told me… anyway, our main priority is to rescue Master Sandalwood.”

“What about the outpost?” one of the clones – Stinger – asked.

“Excuse me?” Derpy asked.

“What do we do about the outpost? Is this just an extraction mission, or are we also going to take down the outpost?”

“…Oh.” Derpy didn’t want to admit it, but she hadn’t fully considered that yet. “Well, I know that it’s supposed to be heavily protected.”

“Do we have any specific intel on what kind of protections there might be?” Mohawk spoke up now. “Turrets, mines, or just a whole lot of clankers?”

Commander Bubbles spoke up. Calmly, but firmly. “Let the General finish.”

Derpy looked to the commander with a grateful smile, before resuming her debriefing.

“What we do know, is that the outpost is located in some sort of abandoned temple. It’s surrounded by heavy jungle, which will make a ground approach tricky. But we’ll have to go in from the ground, to avoid alerting forces in the temple. Um, any other questions?” Derpy then asked.

No one said anything.

"Okay then. So, I guess for now, settle in, do what you need to prepare yourselves or whatever needs to be taken care of, and I guess I'll let you know when we've arrived!" Derpy awkwardly spun around in her chair, trying to get back to the main screen to watch the outside. But she didn't spin far enough, and just faced the troops again. A soft squeak escaped her throat as she slowly spun around, trying not to look back in embarrassment.

Everyone then left the bridge to go to other rooms of the freighter, mostly on their own business. But R4, Coil, and Fuse stayed in the bridge, mostly to provide company and help monitor the controls.

Coil's head tilted a bit, trying to whisper to Fuse. "Uh... Is it a good idea to let her be the one driving?"

"What's wrong with the general driving?"

Coil was lookin' a bit nervous under the helmet. "Her eyes are, well... um. Cross-eyed?"

"Okay, now that's just rude, Coil," Fuse said.

Unbeknownst to them, Derpy could hear everything they were talking about.

"You can't just--"

"--I'm not cross-eyed!" Derpy squeaked.

The bridge went quiet.

"... sorry, General, I wasn't, I-I mean--"

"Oh, no no no, it's okay! I-I'm not mad!" Derpy raised her hands up. "Actually, I think uh... I'm gonna go hit the mess hall, I need some food, uh... let me know if something goes wrong."

Derpy stood up until she fell out of her chair, quickly rushing back to her feet and stepped out of the bridge. The two clones looked at each other.

"You should probably apologize to her when she comes back," Fuse said, glaring under the helmet.


Derpy walked into the mess hall of the ship, feeling that she needed a drink or a snack. Or maybe both. As it wasn’t yet mealtime, the dining area of the vessel was not majorly occupied. In fact, Derpy had expected to find it empty, but to her surprise she did see a few of the clone troopers already present. In fact, one of them appeared to be preparing some fruits in the kitchen.

“Oh, General!” one of the other clones hailed her, snapping off a quick salute, “Welcome to the mess. Here to try Mix’s latest experiment?”

“Mix?” Derpy asked, confused.

“Ah, just my nickname,” the clone in the kitchen said lightly, as he sliced some meiloorun fruit with some skill, “Can I help it if rations have no taste and you want something with flavor?”

“That’s why they’re rations, soldier,” another trooper – the commander, Derpy recognized him by the insignia on his helmet – called out, like it was a familiar joke between the two of them. “Rations are the essentials… and nothing else.”

Mix barked out a laugh, “You got that right!” and began to chop up a jogan fruit next. Derpy smiled, as she realized what the clone was putting together. Soon, the trooper had put together a basic but still tasty-looking salad laced with the chopped fruits, all out of what supplies were available.

“That looks yummy,” Derpy said, before blushing. I’m their general, can I say yummy in front of them?

“Ah, thanks general,” Mix answered, and she felt herself relax.

“Yeah, not bad Mix,” one of the clones, Stretch, nodded in clear approval. “Definitely better than your last time working with fruit.”

Commander Bubbles shook his head as Mix rolled his eyes. “You’re never gonna let that one go, are you?”

“Those 'exotic' shuura you got were overripe and put half the squad in the medbay, I think we’re ALL gonna remember that one!” Tap chimed in, and there was a rumble of laughter at that, mixed with a few winces. Derpy couldn’t help but giggle.

“You hungry, General?” Mix set the bowl down on the table, “I promise, nothing to fear here.”

The blond Jedi smiled. “Thanks!” she said, “Um… just one thing, first…”

“What is it, General?” The commander asked.

“Do you know if…” Derpy blushed slightly, “…any muffins?”

"Actually, I do," Mix said. He opened up a small compartment, revealing a batch of what looked like freshly baked muffins. Derpy's eyes sparkled seeing the muffins before her. Mix offered her one, to which she happily gnawed on one.

"Mmm, delicious! You made these?"

"Yes General."

"I swear, every other mission he's making some new form of pastry," Tap chuckled.

"Well at least you have someone who knows how to make them," Mix retorted.

"How'd you even learn to make these?" Derpy wondered.

"Some farmers on Felucia taught me on pastry baking. Well, General Pie mostly. And with all the stresses of battle and war, I've been looking for something to keep me occupied. And so, that's when I found my hand in baking. Let me tell you, a nice sweet piece of cake after a long hard mission... hits the spot."

Derpy gave the soldier a smile.

"General. We've arrived," Fuse said, stepping into the room.

"Ooh, we made it! Everyone, strap yourselves in, we're going to land."


The crew found themselves a clearing where they could get the freighter to land safely, but also a space that could provide some cover to hide. Thankfully with the aid of a cloaking device, they were able to avoid detection from anyone on the surface.

As they stood around, they could hear the sounds of nature around them. Birds chirping, nearby insects and other lifeforms deep in the jungle. Some of the clones stood around with their weapons in hand, held up in case of an oncoming attack. Of course, no one was, but they weren't willing to risk anything.

"See anything?"

The ARF trooper Bolt stepped forward, eyes squinted as he gazed through the view-finder. "Nothing yet, madam." He lifted the view-finder up and looked down on the tracker in his hand. "But the tracker is indicating lots of energy signatures a few klicks ahead."

"Then we should probably go in that direction," the commander said. "Unless you have any other suggestions, General?"

Derpy's eyes blinked. She looked around, noticing all the clones who were looking at her, pondering their next move. She would have to come up with something fast. Closing her eyes for a moment, and with a smile, a plan started to form in her head.

"Since the forest is too thick for speeders, we're going to have to travel on foot. But, just in case..." Derpy looked back at their freighter. "Three troopers should stay behind with the ship, R4 included. We might need to transmit a message for reinforcements, or a pick-up. The rest of us will march forward and try and find Master Sandalwood."

Commander Bubbles smiled under the helmet. "Just what I would have done, ma'am. Stinger, Ace, Knight. Stay with the ship."

"Yes sir!" Knight shouted.

"Alright, then lets go!"

Derpy gave everyone a wave, and they all dashed into the jungle.

There was no rain, thankfully. But it had rained earlier, making everything they walked or touched feel a little gross. They could hear the sounds of many nearby animals in the jungles. The chirping of Kiros Birds was in the air, and they could hear the sounds of water running from the waterfall just up ahead.

"It's so peaceful out here," Derpy squeaked.

"Hard to believe there's an outpost out here," Bolt added.

"I'd believe it. It's out in the middle of nowhere, deep in a jungle, no one around to stop you. It'd make a perfect hiding spot," Mohawk said.

"My question is, are they doing something out here besides holding the Jedi captive?" Mix asked.

Patch looked over. "What are you saying, Mix?"

"I'm just saying, maybe they're working on something big out here." The trooper replied, shrugging.

"What could they even make out here?" Coil asked.

"Maybe a super weapon? Maybe something to shut down all energy on our transports, or something to destroy all life without harming battle droids, or--"

"--Whoa, hold on!" Derpy halted.

In front of them was a river. Just up ahead was more of the forest, but it seemed like they had just entered a bog of a swamp. They were standing in mud, and any further and they would be deep in swamp water.

"Hold my lightsaber," Derpy said, giving the lightsaber over to Commander Bubbles.

"Um, General, are you sure this--"

Derpy jumped up like an acrobatic and stuck her legs out, ready to dive deep into water. But she didn't. In fact, her feet just stuck a landing and made a splash as she hit the water. Her shoulders were tensed up, preparing to make the dive, but when she opened her eyes, she found herself still standing. In fact, the water only went as high as her knees. Her shoulders released from the tense up.

"Never mind, I thought the water was deep!" Derpy said with some embarrassment. "Just run across it, we'll be fine."

Derpy carefully walked across, making it through. Everyone looked at each other for a brief second, shrugging awkwardly before following her.

"Something tells me this is going to be an interesting day..." Coil commented.