• Published 15th Feb 2019
  • 509 Views, 18 Comments

Five Problems and My Life is One - Sanguine Blade



I take my girlfriend to bronycon. I forgot to not buy from con merchants. A part of Canterlot Adventures

  • ...
5
 18
 509

Chapter 4: New Teaching Style

It was a bright and early morning when I arrived at Canterlot High. I walked to the Principal's office and knocked. Celestia opened the door.

"Oh Mr. Davison come in." She said. I walked inside and took a seat in front of her. "I assume you came to talk to me about your time with Ms. Harshwinny." She said.

"Yes and to be quite frank, she is bloody horrid." I said. She didn't say anything so I continued. "She is overly stern to the students, hard to speak to, using outdated methods and teaches one side of the facts." I said.

"can you give an example?" She asked.

"During her lesson on the Grecon Persian war, she said practically nothing about life in Persia and portrayed them as slavers who didn't deserve to be spoken about." I replied. Celestia was shocked for a moment then collected herself.

"I shall be having words with her about this. Would you mind teaching her class today?" Celestia asked.

"Not at all, I love history. Plus it will help clear up the things they don't know." I said standing up to shake hands. Then I left for the history room. I set to work on the room cleaning everything and moving the papers to on top of or in cabinets. As I took my place at the front, the first group came in. and they dropped their jaws. "Good morning class. I'm your substitute teacher Doctor Davison, but you may call me Doctor or The Doctor. Now please take your seats. The class sat down, and much to my surprise, they seemed young. "So would you mind telling me what class are you?" I said.

"We are Geography class Doctor." Replied a small voice. I looked to see a girl with ice cream like hair.

"Thank you their miss.."I said motioning for her to say something.

"Sweetie Belle." She replied.

"Ah thanks so Let's see what would be a fun place to talk about." I took a globe and spun it round then put my finger on a random spot. I was surprised where it landed.

"Alright today we talk about Australia. Now what do any of you know about Australia." I asked.

"Its a big place!" One voice said.

"It is filled with desert." Another said.

"It is where Kangaroos come from." A third said.

"You are all right, but did you know that there was a big war their?" I asked them. They shook their heads and laughed on the inside. "Then today we talk about the Emu War!" I said and the class giggled slightly.

"So After the First World War, many Aussies were needing money so they were given farmland to work for money." I said pulling out a map of Australia. "Then they didn't realize something crucial, The local emus moved through the land they were given and they ate the food." I continued then a hand went up.

"Yes?" I pointed to a girl with purple hair and orange complexion.

"Why didn't they just move?" She asked.

"Well where are you going to go when you have no money?" I replied and she put her hand back down.

"Now if you were getting your food eaten on your farm who would you ask to fix the problem?" I asked. The ice cream haired girl raised her hand.

"What would you do Sweetie Belle?" I said pointing to her.

"Call a farm expert." She said.

"Yes, most would. In Australia the government has the minister of Agriculture, which is basically a really important expert who tells important people farmer's problems." I paused. However, these farmers called in the army instead." I said and the class was confused. One pudgy boy raised his hand.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Why did they do that?" The boy asked.

"Well...They thought the army would stop the birds. So, the army sent a dmall squad of two men with machine guns to take care of the problem." I said.

"Did they win?" A student asked.

"No they lost. Of the 20,000 emus only 1,000 were killed and here is the funny part. The problem got fixed in another way, anyone have a guess?" I asked looking to the students. A yellow hand shot up.

"Yes?" I said pointing at the girl. She had a red bow and red hair with yellow skin.

"Fences?" She asked.

"Exactly!. They upgraded from simple wooden fences to more robust ones and the whole problem eventually went away. The simplest solution was the last to be made. Now lets make this more fun." I said I picked up a pack of sticky notes and gave each student one note except for four. The Sweetie belle and those other two girls and one random guy.

"Okay now follow me." I said as we walked out back to the empty grass. "Alright all of you who have sticky notes represent two emus and you four." I said pointing to the four without notes. "Are those Australian soldiers. Grab as many sticky notes as you can until you get them all or I tell you to stop." I said and the four unlucky ones looked at me. "GO!' I said and the the group started chasing their classmates. I made sure to call anyone out if they went to far away or tried to cheat. The purple haired girl was leaving the other three behind by the end.
I turned up to see Celestia looking at the spectacle from her window. "Alright stop!" I called and everyone made their way back. I saw the four had four of the sticky notes. So now you see just how hard it was for the soldiers. Those guys had to keep up with birds capable of running at car speeds so this is actually easier by comparison." I said and the class all agreed. "Now tell em something and be honest." I paused as they leaned in. "Is history more fun now?" I said smiling.

"Yes!" One said.

"We got to play and learn!" Another said

"Well if I teach you again. I will be using other methods like this. How would like if next time we watch a PonyTube video instead of a boring lecture?" I asked. They cheered at me and I looked back up at the window to see the sisters looking down and I winked at them. I was going to have to explain what I was doing, but they saw the students happy and that mattered to me just as much as them learning.