• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 1,114 Views, 14 Comments

Want it Need it - ChillyKitty



The spell to use when your love life is so bad you literally have to do dark magic to find love

  • ...
5
 14
 1,114

No Magic

Lonely Love was done beating around the bush. Today was finally the day that she'd find love. She'd been spending years studying mind altering magic after being rejected a total of one hundred and twelve times. Now the number was closer to a hundred and seventy nine. No, it was exactly one hundred and seventy nine.

The pale green unicorn trotted throughout town to a very particular destination. A little coffee shop in the cheaper part of Canterlot.

She took a breath as she trotted in, the scent of coffee and pastries filled her breathe and she couldn’t help but smile. Not only at the wonderful smell but at the sight of the coffee colored stallion that worked behind the counter. She urged herself not to cast a spell on him, it failed severely last time and she didn’t want to take any chances.

“I’m taking my break,” he announced to the mare who worked beside him just after he finished with his last customer. The mare nodded with a small smile and stepped over to the counter so she could take the following orders.

Lonely trotted up to the mare, though she had to force herself from staring at the stallion she knew it would be rude to go up to him without ordering anything first, “A small latte with a pump of vanilla.” She smiled through gritted teeth.

After having paid the two bits for the drink, she levitated it and adjusted the pink scarf she wore around her neck before trotting over to the stallion.

“Um, Coffee Bean?” She felt her face flush a little.

“Oh, Lonely! What’s up?” he responded friendly enough.

She swayed in place, “I was wondering if you had a moment, we could talk?.. In private?” she tried to take a sip out of her paper cup but wasn’t able to get any into her mouth. Her heart was beating to fast to even fathom the idea of drinking in front of this pony.

After a silent note, he nodded, “Sure.” and lead her just outside of the establishment.

She couldn’t wipe the smile off her face, though it was a familiar feeling and she knew her likelihood of being rejected but it was still liberating to confess.

“So, what is it that you need to talk about?” He asked in his charming sort of way.

She grinned as she took a deep breath, “I like you,” she explained, “I was wondering if you’d like to go out with me?” She held her breath unconsciously, awaiting the response.

“I’m sorry, but I barely know you.” He said.

She tilted her head, attempting to redeem the situation, “We could get to know each other better.”

“No.. I..” He looked to the side, “Already have somepony I like.”

Her ears flopped back as her eyes focused on his for a moment, she sighed in defeat, silently cursing herself for deciding to not use mind control on this one, “We both know that's not true.” He tried to open his mouth to defend himself but she cut him off with a weak smile, “It’s okay, you don’t need to lie for my feeling’s sake.”

He stood awkwardly, she turned away to trot back to her home. She paused with a sigh, “Go talk to Bittersweet.” she said begrudgingly.

“What?”

“That’s the name of the mare you work with, right? She’s got a big crush on you.” She said, turning back to him.

He looked to the shop like he was trying to spot his coworker, when in reality it was a wall, and then turned back to Lonely, then to the wall, then to Lonely, “How would you know that?”

She smiled sadly, “It’s obvious in the way she looks at you. I’ve seen her look at you like that since the first time I ever got coffee here,” she laughed a little at herself for still trying anyway and moved to make her flank visible, showing off the split heart with a small ‘x’ in the middle, “It’s a talent.” She said simply, turning to take her leave and trotting out into the distance without even looking back.

~~~

Lonely Love wordlessly swung the door to her apartment open and jumped face first onto the couch.

“How’d it go?”

Lonely’s only response to her roommate was an incoherent mumble into the couch’s cushion.

“Well, my day was wonderful!” Lonely turned her head to see her roommate sitting on a desk. The azure coated mare was full of joy.

“Sky Beam,” She said in a monotone voice, “Do you have to rub your success in?”

“What?” Her voice went up an octave as she pressed a hoof against her chest, “You don’t even know what I was going to say.”

“Was it about Suit Tie?”

Sky Beam looked away with a blushy grin, “Nooo...”

Lonely raised an eyebrow.

“Ugh fine! Yes! We’re going on a date!” She spread her wings and bounced around in a circle, “But!” she stopped suddenly, “You shouldn’t use your talent on other ponies without permission!”

“That wasn’t my talent,” she sighed, “A blind pig could tell what you were thinking.”

She gasped and brushed her white mane out of her face, “Nuh uh!”

“Yuh uh.” Lonely mocked.

A beat passed, “So.. How’d it go with you..?” she gave an awkward smile.

“Wonderfully. We’re getting married next week- How do you think it went!?” she exclaimed before flopping back onto her face, “I’m doomed.”

“Oh don’t say that! Someday that extra special somepony will want to become your special somepony and will whisk you away to live a life of romantic luxury.”

Lonely blinked, “Were you actually raised in a fairy tale?”

“Well, I’m gonna head out now.” Sky Beam said, completely oblivious to Lonely, “How do I look?” She did a little twirl to show off her summer green dress that matched her emerald eyes.

Lonely sat up and looked at her roommate up and down. She huffed out a smile, “You look great.”

“Squee!!!” She grinned, “Okay! I’m gonna go now! Bye~!” She bounced to the door and opened it.

“See ya.” Lonely got out before the pegasus slammed the door behind her.

She scoffed at herself, sitting on the couch and wallowing in her own pity wouldn’t get her anywhere in life. She forced herself to her hooves and trotted over to the bookshelf. She levitated a few hefty books from the bottom shelf including such titles as, “The Magic of Love,” “Dark Magic and Why It’s Illegal,” and “Ancient Ponish For Dummies.”

She sat at her kitchen table. She opened the first, ‘Magic of Love,’ and started at the chapter she last left off. It was a pretty boring book, she didn’t actually see anything interesting until reached a passage that was about halfway through the chapter.

Of course, there are other types of spells related to love but aren’t necessarily considered romantic unless applied in the right way. There is the ever famous dark spell, ‘Want it, need it.’ It causes anypony who looks at a particular item to want that item, to love it either platonically or romantically. There have been some fascinating tales of a mare falling in love with a turnip or the stallion who fell in love with his own reflection that were presumed to be caused by this spell. In theory, somepony could use the dark spell just to have ponies falling in love with them at a blink of an eye, the only ponies being immune are alicorns and the spell caster naturally. However, due to it’s immoral nature, it has been banned from Equestria. Until somepony is able to come up with a safe way of studying the spell, we won’t know for certain how it works.

Lonely blinked. She read about that before. She shoved the book away from her and hungrily grabbed the book on dark magic. “Want it, need it.. Want it need it..” She mumbled to herself whilst flipping through the pages, “There! Want it need it!” She announced.

Though the book was modern, all of the spells were still in old ponish as to deter anypony from actually casting it. Lonely levitated the book, “Ancient Ponish For Dummies,” and started cross referencing it frantically.

Her horn begged to allow her to cast the spell but she bit her lip. She had to hold back, she was alone, she couldn’t even test to see if it would work. She sighed, “It’s not exactly a secret spell..” she spoke to herself, “If I were to use it and someone realized what I was doing I’d be in jail for life.” She leaned back in her chair and moaned, “I’ll never find love.”

Nonetheless, she might have possibly memorized the spell in her spare time. Not that she was actually going use it, she’d never. Studying magic was just her hobby. She wasn’t going to use it.

Author's Note:

oof I love romance so here's a short story. I came up with this idea and just needed to write it down so i stopped alll my other work to write this. There are only three chapters and I'll post the next one tomorrow.