• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 930 Views, 24 Comments

Cory: The Fear of Water - artman7391



Cory faces moments of his darkest past in the hopes of regaining a bit of his childhood

  • ...
26
 24
 930

Cory, and the Kirin village

Yona, Gallus, Ocelus, Sandbar, Smolder and of course, Silverstream just sat there with their mouths gaped open in disbelief. They had never heard a story more harrowing or depressing in their lives. Even Smolder was shocked, and she had heard some harrowing tales before.

Earlier that day, the six creatures had been scourging through the library, trying to learn as much as they could about Twilight's son and Applejack's brother. They searched through family records, historical acts of bravery, and a few other sources. Though little of his past was discovered, they did come across Prince Capricore's royal acts of bravery, with his knights of courage by his side. This made Silverstream fall in love with him even more, as her eyes turned dreamy wide with a two blushed cheeks.

Wasting no time, they asked Twilight and Applejack for an appointment in the headmaster's office to learn more about her son Capricore. So she quickly invited them to her room, but not before warning them how sad her story will be. Regardless, they begged her for the information, and with a small, heartbreaking sigh she began.

They started with Cory's devastating upbringing, how he was born into a family that didn't love him in any way, how they tried to get rid of him through lethal means, and how he was carelessly left at an airport by his mother and father, never to see them again. Then they went on about his time at the orphanage where he was mistreated all the same. Bullies picked on him, called him names and committed unspeakable acts in the most merciless of ways.

They started to feel relieved when they learned that Cory did indeed have friends. Friends who did everything together and were always on his side no matter what. That was until their school was taken over by a tyrannical dictator, determined to make miserable anyone who stepped out of line. There was no fun, no laughter, nothing but strict guidelines which goose stepped so many students into violence. Then the new 6 hearts broke again when they were told how Cory was taken away from his friends, leaving him all alone to fend for himself for a year. But once again, they turned to relief when they learned about how he escaped that world and ended up in Equestria, and is currently adopted by both her and the Apple Family.

"Oh, that poor poor boy!" Ocelus sobbed with a handkerchief as Twilight finished her story. "It's no wonder he's so quiet."

"Sorry I had to tell you all that, but there it is." Twilight said solemnly.

"Man, I've heard some depressing stories in my days, but not like this." Smolder commented

"Yona never heard more sad story than ever before." Yona added as tears came out of her eyes and nose. "Make Yona want to sing Yak song about being sad."

"Maybe you should save that one for later Yona." Said Sandbar.

"Gee, I only know one other creature that's been through that level of heartache." Gallus said. "Me."

"I'm just so amazed he was able to go through all that and still be such a sweet boy. " Silverstream said as she wiped away her tears. "He makes just want to jump onto him and give him a big hug!"

"I don't that's a great option Silverstream." Said Applejack. "He's been very sensitive lately for some reason. I've tried to ask him what's the matter, but he's still keepin a cold shoulder."

"Maybe we can help him out." Said Ocellus, "Where is he now?"

"Well, the last time I heard," Replied Applejack, ".. he ventured into the Kirin kingdom. He said he wanted some peace and quiet to continue his studies."

"Then let's go!" Silverstream declared eagerly as she rushed to her dorm room, "There's not a moment to lose."

"I'm not sure about that Silverstream." Twilight said cautiously. "Cory's been very reserved lately and doesn't like being disturbed when..."

"That only makes it more urgent!!" And with that, Silverstream pushed her friends out of the library and to their dorm rooms as well. "Everyone. Start packing.! Cory requires our help."

"Boy Silver." Smolder said unenthusiastically. "You're really taking this love boat with Cory very upstream."

"If my Cory is in danger, then there's no one who can help me better than my friends."

Realizing the predicament they were in and having finished the majority of their assignments early, the other five shrugged their heads and started packing.

"Wishing you good luck." Twilight hollered. "And please mind Cory's space."

"Uh-huh, yep sure." Silverstream replied as if not really listening.

And off the the six friends went to their destination.

Meanwhile, Cory, in his pony form, could be found in the Kirin village checking in to a new hotel they established for tourists. Attached to his back was a large amount of luggage and supplies for studying and creativity. While awaiting for the bellboy he took a moment to observe outside the nearby window.

The Kirin village was a quaint town nestled in the woods. Some buildings were made from trees, others were perched within trees, and a few were even meshed with the trees. In the center was a fountain where the Kirin had been given the gift of gab thanks to Applejack and Fluttershy on one of their previous adventures. Surrounding it was the marketplace where the citizens would buy and sell their daily bread. Today was a usual one for the Kirin. Each of this unique species went about their business as usual: Planting, buying, painting, singing, dancing, laughing, joking and the like. As Cory stood near the window, he looked a little weary and rather annoyed as to whether he would be disturbed by the sounds outside.

"Mr. Sparkle," Said the Kirin hotel manager. "Mr. Sparkle, are you ready to check in."

"Yes I am." Cory said cooly as he approached the desk of the lobby.

"Autumn Blaze." Said the hotel manager, to which approached a rather enthusiastic Kirin with a chipper look and uniform badge entered.

"Yes Sir." Autumn Blaze replied with a smile.

"Take this gentlecolt to suite DJPON3 please."

"Yesiree."

"Just one more thing." said Cory in a rather soothing voice. "I'm a very busy pony. I gotta workload of things to do. Plenty of them. So see to it that you Kirin live up to your reputation, and that I get lots of peace and quiet..."

It was then he grabbed the manager by the back of her mane and exploded into a loud booming voice.

"BECAUSE IF I'M DISTURBED AT ANY TIME..." he shouted. "I'M GONNA BUST YOU RIGHT IN THE SNOUT!!"

"Likeable chap. Isn't he?" Autumn Blaze commented.

"May I go to my room now?" Cory asked as he calmed down. "I would like to get some work done."

"Certainly Sir." The manager replied as she readjusted her mane. "Autumn blaze?"

"Yessir!!" Autumn Blaze replied as she led the way. "Boy we get lots of customers these days don't you know. Say haven't I told you the time when I wrote this speech about our leader, it was a riot I tell you. Not to mention that no one could talk at the time. But boy did they riot inside. I haven't felt so enthusiastic in all my life. But enough about me, I believe if you were looking for a place of peace and quiet, you couldn't have picked a better place!! Because if there's one thing we Kirin's are known for it's peace and quiet!! Why, I remember, when we were so quiet, you could hear a pin drop from miles away. But I just couldn't stand that and it made me batty. So I wrote about these speeches and plays and operas to keep them company. But I also made friends with my shadow and named him Silhouette gloom of the sundown lands. Anyway, a bellboy is one of many jobs I have here in the village. Some include farmer, playwright, photographer, tour guide, architect. Speaking of which have you heard of this...."

As Autumn babbled on and on about her life and her home, Cory became more and more irritated, hoping they would get closer and closer to his room. Then, finally, just when they thought she would never shut up, they finally approached the main door to the living space. So he rushed in, started to unpack and cricked his back into place, taking the breathing techniques Master Zecora taught to keep himself in focus.

"Here's your keys sir." Autumn Blaze said as she gave him a card.

"Thank you." He replied.

As Autumn Blaze left the room, Cory magically sorted out his belongings. He took a moment to look at his new surroundings with peculiarity, it was then he spotted what he was looking for.

"Deeeessssk." He said with relief, to which he grabbed his journal, art supplies and paper, popped a seat, turned on a lamplight and began to doodle away.

First he began to put together the blueprints for a statue exhibition in Cloudsdale. After hanging that up, he intricately drew a model for a set piece for an upcoming play in Baltimare. Following that, he remembered Las Pegasus was starting its own film company. So he jotted down some notes for upcoming movies that required his assistance. It was then the first disturbance of the day occurred. A couple of rowdy young Pegusi were playing buckball outside his window. Balls were hitting against the wall, shouts were being given, a whistle was being blown etc...

Without thinking, Cory dropped his things and trotted downstairs. He approached the hotel manager, and just as he promised, popped her right in the snout. As he stomped back upstairs, he swore he could hear "Pop Goes The Weasel" in the background.

With everything quiet again, Cory continued with his studies. There was another speech to write about the Buffalo in Appaloosa that he quickly edited. Then he moved on to the Family Adoption Program mural he was setting up in Vanhoover. In addition, Trottington was Setting up a special statue in their hospital square, to which he designed a blueprint on a map. But just as he was measuring the diameter of the speech, a few careless Kirin were singing a rather out of tune, but joyous song. Regardless, Cory's eyes turned a bright red as he stomped downstairs again, approached the manager and gave her another punch to the snout, with the same song playing in his head.

A few hours later, things seemed back in step for him, as he continued to immerse himself in his work. However, At this rate, his eyes were now sleepy, and his mane got even more frizzled and out of place. But no matter, he marched forward. The next thing on his large list was to literally build a large fire for the Changeling kingdom for some reason. After a while of toiling and building the elaborate set piece, he placed it in the middle of the room as a decoration. He then moved on to writing for an upcoming essay due at Canterlot High. The paper covered the subject of Hitchcockian suspense and how it impacted the motion picture department. From there, he began to implement a few teaching strategies that Sunburst had implemented for any possible future meetings they would have in the Crystal Empire. His list was a large one indeed, and Twilight would be proud of him.

As he moved back and forth between checking his list, reconfiguring the sculpture layout for the exhibition in Cloudsdale, and repurposing a store for Manehattan's jewelry district, a disturbance was heard once more. It was that Kirin Autumn Blaze who was laughing from a joke she had just heard.

"HA HA HA!! What a story..HA HA..Funniest Story I heard in years!!" Autumn Laughed out loud. "Too good to keep.. HA HA HA!!.. What a laugh!!.. HA HA..What A Palooza!!"

Just as Cory feared, Autumn came bursting through the door with her uproarious chuckle.

"Hey Mister!!" She shouted. "Come over for a minute!! I gotta tell you this super duper joke!! HAHA!!"

Before he could say anything, Autumn swiveled the chair around so he could face her, as she sat on his lap. By now his eyes were blood curling red.

"Once there was a traveling Salespony!! HAHA HAA!!" She laughed. "And he came to a farmhouse HA HA HAA!!! And he asked the farmer.."

Whilst in the middle of her giggling and excitement, Cory plopped her on the chair and went back downstairs, leaving her laughing like there was no tomorrow. When the hotel manager saw him approaching once again, she ducked down an put on what looked like a knights helmet. But, given there was a lid, Cory gently opened it and socked her in the nose once again, with that "Pop goes the Weasel" tune in his head.

"And then..And Then HAHA..." Autumn Blaze continued as Cory returned to his desk. "Here's the Pay off!! When the Farmer said do you expect come this way next year, the salespony said..HAHA!! The salespony said..HAHA!! He Said...Hey whadaya know, I don't remember what he said. But HAHA!! It was a riot!! AHAHA!! Funniest thing I ever heard!! HAHAHA!!

The second Autumn Blaze left the room, Cory had had enough. He bolted the door shut, Locked it with his key, Shut the blinds, Build boards around the window, put a trap next to the door in case anypony dared snuck in, turned off the lights, soundproofed the walls, and went back to his studies. Now he was certain no one could disturb him at this point. So he continued finishing up the previous things he had on his list, whilst checking for anything he missed. When suddenly, after a few more laboring hours, a small, taunting, filly like voice could be heard..."

"Golly." the voice said. "It must be so hard getting work done around here huh?"

"Who said that?" Cory asked as he searched the room.

"Oh, just a friend." It replied.

"Come on out and show yourself!!"

"Certainly."

From out of the shadows popped a young pegusi with a curly mane and a cheerful disposition. Cory could've sworn she was this worlds version of Shirley Temple.

"How did you get in here?" Cory asked puzzlingly.

"I have my ways." She replied while holding a spare key. "I just kindly and tearfully asked the hotel manager to share my room next to another dear friend, and have a spare key just for him. And what better than to make friends and have a room next to Prince Capricore."

"Who are you?" He asked.

"Oh, where are my manners. My name is Cozy Glow. The cutest, most caring, most adorable pony anypony could ever have. Anyway, I've been watching you for awhile and it looks like you haven't gotten a fair chance to get your work done."

"You can say that again." A disgruntled Cory replied as he wiped his eyes and messaged his goatee.

"Maybe it's time for you to accept that some ponies just aren't to be trusted. I would be on the lookout if I were you."

"Perhaps you are correct on that."

"You can always trust me Cory. I have open ears everywhere I go. And by the way, I'm sorry about your sad past. Those events must've been traumatic for you."

"I can't even bear to talk about them in front of my friends."

"Maybe it's best that you don't talk about them to anypony. A secret can really damage your reputation."

Cory thought for a moment about this..

"Anywho," Cozy Glow continued. "If you ever want me, I'll be outside shopping for food."

And with that, she reopened the door, and shut it behind him.