• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 930 Views, 24 Comments

Cory: The Fear of Water - artman7391



Cory faces moments of his darkest past in the hopes of regaining a bit of his childhood

  • ...
26
 24
 930

Submerged

The lessons with Sunburst began with a few, simple, levitation spells. After clearing the study room and keeping everything out of the way, Cory lifted a few fruits, bookends, utensils and other knick -knacks. Next they moved onto several changing spells. Cory turned a few saltshakers into tea cups, apples into oranges, and even a little squirrel into a bunny and back again. Moving on was an advanced aging spell, where he made an old hound dog a puppy again, adding a few more years to it's life. At this point, the two decided to take a risk and partake in a little friendly, magic sparring match. They chuckled and laughed, joked and gagged, sharing a few funny anecdotes along the way.

Yes, all seemed tranquil and controlled. That was up to the point where Cory came across a rather distinct looking book. It was old, jeweled and padded with a lock. He took it out and examined it for a moments, before passing it over to Sunburst.
It's Title Read: "Harness and Containment:Volume III."

"Uhh, are you sure you want to try this Cory?" Sunburst asked skeptically. "These are very advanced spells and could possibly endanger your well being if not done correctly."

"Come on. I'm a prince Sunburst." Cory replied. "I have lots of responsibilities now and need all the advancement I can get."

"Alright then, just be very careful. I'l just l be hiding behind these books. You know. For safety reasons."

As he said this, Sunburst quickly made a fort of books and surrounded himself in the back corner. Meanwhile, Cory flipped to the first few pages and pointed his finger to a rather straightforward spell.

"Now remember," Sunburst continued. "... just like what we did in the previous spells, envision the image in your mind, and focus all the energy on a certain part of room. But since this is more advanced, I think we will need a simple shaped object to make this go more smoothly."

"OK." Cory replied. He searched around the room and found a marble sphere in the left corner. After carefully placing on a coffee table and positioning it in the center of the room, he placed his hands firmly on the smooth texture. Then, he closed his eyes and envisioned the spell from the book.

The room fell very silent as Cory took a deep breath and began to push his energy on his hands. At first, nothing unusual happened, but within a few moments, several small sparks began to ignite out of his fingertips. they quickly surged through his palms and down his arms until they consumed his shoulders. At first Cory tried to resist, but he remembered what Sunburst said: Just concentrate on one part of the room. He closed his eyes and pushed his energy on the sphere, pressing against it's smooth texture. The sparks eventually seceded back to his fingers as he started to feel more relaxed.

Suddenly, the sphere illuminated into a blinding flash of light. fabrics and papers began to swirl around the student and teacher. Sunburst covered his eyes, while Cory just looked in awe at the light. It was at that moment a sharp, mind numbing pain began to run through his body.

"AAAAAAAAAH!!" Cried Cory "AAAAAAH!!"

His scruffy hair piked up, his eyes turned blinding bright, and his feet lifted off the ground. And like a super saiyan at full power, an orb of lightning was established in the open space . Papers swam around faster and faster, enveloping the two in an artificial sphere. Cory screamed louder in agony as the sound of lighting and paper grew more and more intense. Until finally, all went black.

Cory wearily opened his eyes to find himself in what appeared to be a watery expanse. He panicked with bubbles as he helplessly squirmed around like a worm in the water, trying to locate the surface. As he tried to push himself upwards, a hand - like force pushed him back down, as if something was trying to drown him. No matter how much he pushed, the force shoved him back. He thought that this was it. This would be how he would die. When at the last moment, a white spotted hoof grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back to what was hopefully the surface.

Cory opened his eyes again and found himself lying on the floor, staring at Sunburst's worried face.

"Cory, Are you Ok?" He asked as he helped his student sit back up.

Cory responded with a few sharp coughs and a wheeze in his lungs. He lurched his hand out as if to grab something.

"I told you those spells could be dangerous." Sunburst added.

Cory took a moment to look around. His eyes looked very panicked, as his body was shaking , as if to imply he relived a traumatic moment from his past. He clung his hand onto Sunbursts cloak and pressed his other hand to his heart.

"How...Are my clothes dry?" He asked under deep breaths, to which Sunburst looked very puzzled.

"Why don't we take a little break?" Sunburst suggested. "I'll fix us both some soothing tea."

He propped Capricore up and guided him to the kitchen. As he offered him a seat, he noticed how his new pupil was still lightly shaking.

"Boy. that spell must have been a doozy." Sunburst commented as he stirred the brew on the kettle. "Still, I'm impressed you were able to contain it for that long. Most ponies don't make it past ten seconds the first time around."

Cory said nothing. He stared blankly at the table with his fingers jitteringly tapping the surface. He had never felt this weak in months, not since his battle with Stiffson. At that moment, a fresh brew of cherry smelling jasmine was presented to him.

"Here." Sunburst said affectionately. "This new concoction will help you ease that jitters."

Cory lifted the cub with his shaky hands and slowly pressed the liquid to his lips. The brew flowed down his throat and into his stomach, giving him much needed relief. Sunburst sat on the other side and drank his share as he looked at his student with worried eyes.

"You know Sunburst..." Cory spoke after a moments silence, "...you and I have something in common."

"I suppose it's the eyebrows and goatee?" Sunburst asked jokingly, to which they both chuckled.

"Actually," Cory continued. "..it's that we both let our insecurities get in the way with what was important."

"I'm not sure what you mean."

Cory solemnly looked at the tea swimming around in his cup, his hands shaking slightly. Then he closed his eyes tightly for another moment, as if to imply another painful memory in his had.

"From what your friend Starlight told me," He explained as he calmly opened them. "..you were hesitant to send her any letters during your time under Celestia's tutelage. It was because you were afraid of how she would view you, what with your books and papers, and other knick knacks scrambled all over the place. As a result, you two grew apart. She went on her mission of equalizing ponies and fracturing time, and you grew more and more lonely, hardly finding anyone to identify with, just like me."

"Well, from what Twilight told me," Sunburst added. "You've had a very rough life. But you know, It's good that you friends who cared about you still. And unlike me, they weren't afraid to reach out and not give up on you."

"But I did." Cory said as he buried his face. "The moment they were taken away, my insecurity got the best of me. I could have sent them a letter or gone to their homes anytime. But I was afraid. I was afraid I'd get flogged for trying to contact them. Not the mention the fact that everyone told me I couldn't read or write."

"Cory, it's Ok..."

"I could have got them back sooner." Cory said in regret. "I really could. All I had to do was run over to their homes, I could've signed an adoption contract. And that would've been the end of it. But I was such a coward. To scared to do anything..."

"Cory, it's not your fault." Sunburst said as he laid his hoof on his hand. "You didn't know what to do then. And I understand why. But eventually, you did do something about it, unlike me. You escaped that dreaded place and ventured out to see who you truly were. And you didn't stay cooped up from the rest of the world either, but I did. And I'm very regrettable about that decision. I'm just lucky Starlight came at my door one day and helped me come out of my cocoon."

Cory reached out his other hand and placed it on Sunburst's same hoof.

"And I'm glad you're helping me out of my cocoon." Cory said with a relaxed voice. "I'm looking forward to many encounters with you."

"So uh," Sunburst continued as he finished his tea. "Would you like to continue?"

"Absolutely." Cory replied as he finished his share. "But why don't we try a spell a little more basic and obtainable."

"Agreed. And how about we try one together?"

Cory nodded back as he helped him out of his seat and back into their studies. Unbeknownst to them, the lamp on the shelf began to glow a rather sinister green, with a eye-like object in the center, as if to spy on them.