• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 930 Views, 24 Comments

Cory: The Fear of Water - artman7391



Cory faces moments of his darkest past in the hopes of regaining a bit of his childhood

  • ...
26
 24
 930

Cory meets the new 6

It had been 4 days since Cory had arrived at the Kirin village, and despite his paranoia, paler coat, and circles under his eyes, things had gone smoothly for his work. He had written a few essays, built some elaborate sculptures, and even took time to design a few sets for upcoming shows across Equestria. For the moment, he found himself taking a moment of outside air at the edge of the Kirin Village. Standing at the edge of a cliff, he looked at the amazing view on top of what looked like an abandoned treehouse belonging to Autumn Blaze. Floating in front of him was a cup of freshly brewed chamomile ginseng tea, with ingredients Sunburst had given prior to his stay. Each sip made him calmer and calmer, as he watched the sun begin to dip over the horizon. Thinking about what happened four days ago, he still seemed torn between what that strange pegusi said and how he treated that poor Kirin manager. It was rather barbaric for him to do such a thing. Then again, just as Cozy Glow predicted, he was beginning to lose trust in some of his acquaintances. He felt like he was becoming someone he did want to be, a reflection of his worst fears. Something inside him was transforming.

Whatever the truth may have been, Cory decided it was the right thing to apologize to that Kirin. But just as he turned around, six familiar faces stared back at him, carrying backpacks with them.

"Hello Cory." They said together.

"Oh, Ocelus, Smolder, Gallus, Sandbar, Yona and....Silverstream." Cory said surprisingly. "What are you doing here?"

"We came here for you Cory!!" Silverstream said solemnly as she leaped over and gave him a big hug.

"More like she came over to help you." Smolder mumbled

"What do you mean?" Cory said confusingly as he let go of Silverstream's grasp. "I don't need any help."

"Yak knows when friend should get help." Yona replied. "..Especially with sad story Yona and friends heard."

"Wh...What did you say?" Cory asked.

"Your mom Principal Twilight told us about your rough past." Sandbar explained. "There's no urge to hide it."

"Yeah," Ocelus added." ... she talked about your parents, your orphanage, your school, how you were taken away from your friends..." .

"Did she mention anything else?" Cory asked sternly.

"Just how you got here," Smolder answered. "But other than that not really.

"Great."

Cory messaged his forehead and took a few deep breaths.

"We're so amazed at what a brave, strong, boy you've become." Silverstream commented dreamily. "And handsome too..."

"What?" Cory asked suspiciously.

"Oh, uh nothing."

"I guess we just came here to tell you we're on your side." Sandbar added.

"Uh, thanks." Cory said as he walked over to the cliffside and looked over the setting sun. "I'm just glad to know there are folks out there that would support me, even though they don't know what it was like.

"Actually," Gallus added as he wrapped his claw around Cory's shoulder. "There are some creatures who kind of know what it's like.

"Yeah right name one."

"Me." Gallus replied with a deep sigh.

"You?"

Gallus nodded back. "All my life I always felt lonely, as if no one really cared about me. And coming from Griffonstone, it was harder than most. Even during the Blue Moon festival, the one time of year where Griffon's try to be nice to each other, I felt left out. Because like you were, I don't have a family, nor did I have a place where I belonged. Then like you, I got away from it all, and met my friends. For I first time, I felt like I had a family."

"Wow." Cory said tiredly as he stared at the sun. "It feels great to know there's some other creature who gets me."

"Well it's great to know I found someone I can relate to." Gallus replied, after which the two of them gave a big hug.

"Oh Cory." Said Silverstream as she hugged him again, "Despite our differences, I can feel so much energy between us."

"How so?" Cory asked.

"Well, as a Hippogriff, whenever I see such grieving creatures with such a sad life, my heart can't help but break for them. And for you, my heart breaks more than ever. Oh, you don't know how much you mean to me."

Cory looked in Silverstream's eyes and noticed a twinkle against her pupil as she batted her eyelids like two butterflies. Suddenly, his cheeks started blushing a bright red. He couldn't help but feel a sense of enchantment with this strange creature. It was as if she was magically inherent at spreading love wherever she went.

"You think we should tell him?" Smolder whispered to Sandbar.

"I think we should wait till our plan comes together." Sandbar whispered back.

"Yona also felt very sad when she heard about life of Cory." Yona said as she nestled her hide against him. "Yaks known for having very big family, and can't even think of having a life without one. But Yona now happy that Principal Twilight and Applejack have a very special brother and son, and Cory has a new family."

"Uh-huh." Cory said with his eyes still fixated on Silverstream.

"Hello!!" Smolder shouted as she snapped her fingers to get his attention.

"Huh. Wha!" he said as he shook his head.

"This might be harder to hide than we thought." Sandlebar whispered, to which Smolder shrugged.

"You know, speaking of which." Cory continued as he adjusted his glasses. "The other day, I was literally building a fire for you Changeling families for Hearts Warming Eve."

"But it's summer." Ocelus replied with a confused look.

"Always great to plan ahead." He replied.

"Either way, I'm sure we will definitely use it during the holidays."

"You're welcome to pick it up when I leave."

"And speaking of the holidays." Smolder said as he flew in front of Cory. "There's this thing we dragons do every year when we gather around to tell stories, and the dragon with the one we like the most gets a huge horde of gems. Usually the winners involve depressing endings where weak kind creatures get defeated. And with your life stories, you'd win the horde of gems every year."

"I don't see how this is supposed to make me feel great." Cory stated.

"What I'm trying to say," Smolder continued. "Is that you're welcome to come to our festive annual event. My treat."

"Gee, thanks." Cory said with a smirk. "You know, from what I've seen, you've kind of become like Spike's big sister."

"I wouldn't really go that far just yet." Smolder replied. "But thanks for the comment."

"You're also welcome to our festivities as well." Ocelus added. "Even though they're still new to us. But we do make a nice punch bowl to dive into."

Cory sweated as she said this and scooched back from her a little bit. It was then he bumped into Yona by the hide.

"Yona also wish to extend welcome to our party too. It called Snilldar Fest. Best time of year for Yak family to smash, build moss fort and make braids."

"Well if during that time of year I feel the urge to smash things, I will definitely come." Cory replied, to which Yona smiled back.

"But more important than all of that," Said Silverstream as she drew closer to Cory's lap. "You're always welcome to come to our three days of freedom celebration. Oh, you would enjoy every minute of it. It's full of singing, dancing, laughter and families from all over coming together to Mount Aris. We have the most fun time in all the world. But after meeting you, I don't think it ever could be complete without a special somepony."

Her eyes turned dreamy again, and Cory blushed with a smirk on his face. But soon they snapped out of it as if nothing happened.

"I guess what we're trying to say," Ocelus exclaimed. "Is that you should know that you have 6 new friends right here to help you with whatever problems you have. And even more so, we would love to be a part of your new extended family."

"Family?" Cory asked. "You? Listen. I know you're all trying to make me confess to something, but I don't have anything to report. I'm fine."

"Cory." Said Smolder. "We dragons might be new to this whole touchy feely thing, but we've started to learn that hiding your emotions is very unhealthy."

"I know that feeling first hoof." Cory replied.

"And that's why whenever you feel down or lonely, you can always come to us for help." Sandbar added.

That was when they all gathered around Cory and gave him a big hug, including Smolder who sighed in exasperation. Cory felt warm inside. The first time he had been in months.

"You know, Smolder." Cory said. "I think I've developed an alternative to hugs for dragons."

"You have?" Smolder replied. "Let me see it."

He clasped his hoof tightly into Smolder's hand as they both bumped chests and firmly fisted their arms around each other backs.

"Huh." Smolder thought. "Tough but welcoming....I like it."

And so, Cory and his seven new friends all sat down and stared off into the sunset, while Silverstream rested her head on Cory's shoulder.