• Published 13th Oct 2018
  • 512 Views, 28 Comments

A Rose's Journey - VioletRose13



The life-changing journey of a young unicorn who's much more than she thinks...

  • ...
 28
 512

Spade's Mission

“Look at this… It’s glorious.” Jackpot Spade said to himself as he looked down upon the citizens of Ponyville who were as dismal and frightened as could be. “The master will certainly be pleased.”

He chuckled.

“Captain! Captain Spade!” Sea Sponge and Star Fish’s voices yelled as the two stallions ran up to their captain, exhausted and gasping for air.

“Ugh, what is it now?” Spade asked before glancing behind the ponies to see a cart full of sweet things to eat; his face lit up at the sight. “Ah, I see you’ve done what I’ve asked you to do… for once. Well done, gentlecolts.”

“Yeah, uh… that’s the good news.” Sea Sponge said hesitantly.

“…There’s bad news?” Spade asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m afraid so, captain.” Sea Sponge replied, hanging his head; he nudged Star Fish in the ribs with his elbow, urging him to continue.

“Oh! Yeah, uh… you see, sir, we, um, we… Sea Sponge and I… we’ve found that pony you were after.” Star Fish stuttered.

Spade raised both eyebrows and said nothing before looking around, hoping to see the young mare… but she wasn’t in sight.

“Then where is she?” He asked.

“Uh, that’s a funny story, Captain Spade sir.” Sea Sponge giggled nervously. “We did catch her, we swear we did! But she… she, uh… she might’ve got away.”

Spade’s left eye twitched as he stared down at the stallions; they took a few steps back, unsure of what was going to happen.

“…WHAT?!?!?!” He screamed, anger surging through his veins; he snarled at the terrified ponies.

“Agh! We’re sorry, Captain Spade!” Sea Sponge and Star Fish cried, cowering in fear side by side.

“Please don’t hurt us!” Star Fish begged.

“It was an accident!” Sea Sponge added. “We said we were sorry!”

“That’s not good enough, NOT GOOD ENOUGH! UGH, YOU IDIOTS!!! Can’t you two do ANYTHING RIGHT?!?!” Spade ranted, bucking against a barrel as hard as he could a few times before it shattered into splinters; he glared at the terrified ponies, his mismatched eyes burning like fire.

“Okay, calm down, captain. Calm down. Take a deep breath, relax. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.” Crab Claws intervened, trying his best to calm the captain down.

Spade shut his eyes and took a few deep breaths, trying to regain his composure; every muscle in his body relaxed a great deal. Silence reigned; nopony dared to move. Sea Sponge and Star Fish looked at each other, then at Crab Claws, and then back at the captain who slowly opened his eyes and stared down upon them sternly.

“I need a moment to myself.” He said as he made his way over to a pair of doubles doors. “I’ll be in my cabin, do NOT disturb me. And Crab Claws? Give those two imbeciles a proper punishment, would you?”

“Aye-aye, sir.” Crab Claws said with a salute as Spade entered his cabin and slammed the doors with a loud slam.

Spade made his way over to a dresser mirror on one end of his cabin. He stared at his reflection for a second or two before tapping the glass with his hoof three times and saying,

“Call the master.”

And within a few moments, a dark figure appeared in the mirror. Spade stood straight and breathed slowly and steadily, trying not to lose his cool.

“Ah, Captain Spade.” The figure said. “That was quite a swift takeover, I must say.”

“It was nothing, especially with Andante at our disposal.” Spade replied. “It was a great suggestion telling me to hire her. Where did you find her anyway?”

“That’s not important. Do you have news for me?”

“I do, master. Everything is going according to plan. With Andante’s help, we’ve captured Princess Twilight Sparkle, along with her little friends AND the rest of the citizens of this Ponyville place, and we’ve taken full control.”

“That’s perfect! And… do you know anything about that pony? The one required for my plan to fully take shape?”

Spade’s eyes widened at the mention of Violet Rose; he didn’t want to tell his master that he didn’t have her. But then he thought of something; what if he chased after her in his ship and bring her back to Ponyville?

“You know something I don’t.” The figure said.

“…I do.” Spade sighed in defeat. “I found out what the pony’s name is. Her name is Violet Rose and she lives here right in this town.”

“Really? What luck! …And where is she now?”

“That’s what I need to tell you. My two cabin colts, Sea Sponge and Star Fish, they said that they did have her before, but being the complete morons that they are, they… let her get away.”

“…What?”

“Okay before you say anything, I know I messed up but I can fix it. Just give me three days, tops.”

“Three days for what?”

“For me to find Violet Rose and bring her back to Ponyville. And I’ll have everything ready for your arrival by then.”

The figure sighed.

“Remember, Spade; only I have the power to make you whole and bring them back. Find that filly, bring her to me, and you’ll get your reward. Fail me… and your mind won’t be the only thing that’s broken.”

“It won’t be a problem.” Spade replied.

“I hope not. Good luck; you’re gonna need it.”

And as quickly as it appeared, the figure in the mirror vanished and the looking glass reverted back to its original state. Spade let out a sigh and ran his hoof through his mane in relief. His throat suddenly felt dry.

“I need me a cider.” He said to himself before heading out of his cabin, only to be greeted by atrocious clarinet music combined with screams and cries of pain; he plugged his ears with his wings to block out the awful sound as he strode towards it.

“No, no, no! It hurts so much!” Star Fish screamed, covering his ears with his hooves.

“Please, PLEASE make it stop!” Sea Sponge begged, doing the same thing as his friend.

“Not until the Captain says otherwise!” Crab Claws said; he conveniently plugged his own ears.

“Okay, Squid Ink. I think they’ve had enough.” Spade said to a fourth Earth pony who was playing the clarinet.

He abruptly stopped playing and said, “If you say so, captain.”

“About time. I thought a cat was dying somewhere up here.” Andante commented as she made her way over to the ship.

“Andante, what news do you bring?” Spade asked, turning his head to face her.

“All good news, captain. Everypony is cooperating nicely.” She replied smugly. “Even Princess Twilight and her little lackeys are under my control.”

“Good work. But there appears to be a change of plans.” Spade said. “Violet Rose is on the run and we need to go after her and bring her back here.”

“Excuse me for saying this captain, but… why do you need this mare so much?” Squid Ink asked as he set his clarinet down. “She’s just one pony.”

She is one pony with something the master NEEDS for his plans, Squid Ink.” Spade said through gritted teeth. “I just spoke with him via looking glass and he’s giving me three days to find her.”

“But what about the townsponies? And the Princess and her friends?” Crab Claws asked.

“Don’t you colts worry ‘bout a thing. I’ll keep an eye on them for you, every single one of them.” Andante chimed in. “And if any of them tried to escape, they’d have to answer to me and my posse of Timberwolves and Cragadiles.”

“You’d do that?” Spade asked.

“Of course. What are partners for?” Andante nuzzled Spade with her giant muzzle, but he quickly pushed her away.

“Very good, Andante. You’re officially in charge of everypony here until we come back. Remember; if anypony gets out of line and if your spell doesn’t work… you know what to do.”

“Don’t worry, I know the drill; we went through the plan a thousand times already. Plus, you brought hundreds of pounds of the stuff. I just hope I won’t have to resort to using it. And just so you know, I think I know where that pony of yours is headed. The airship she just boarded is heading north, possibly beyond the Crystal Mountains. And I suggest you take a quick look at Princess Twilight’s map before you go. It’s pretty impressive; it shows ALL of Equestria and beyond.”

“North, eh? Perfect; I knew I could count on you to your eyes and ears open, my little sea serpent.”

“No problem.”

“Just remember; that pony is the key to our success. If we don’t find Violet Rose soon, then everything we’ve worked for will be ruined… and the master will probably have my head on a silver platter and eat it.”

He shivered at the thought.

“Yeah, we know. And between you and me, captain, I want the master to lift that curse off of you as bad as you do.” Sea Sponge commented. “Because of it, you’re so unpredictable and loud… and pretty nasty and scary. Plus, with the mismatched eyes? It just adds to the creepiness of your stare, no offense.”

Spade turned around, glared down at Sea Sponge, and said, “Mark my words, Sponge. That little filly is NOT going to keep me from getting rid of this curse! All hooves on deck! Prepare the ship, we sail north! Effective immediately!”

“Aye-aye, sir!”

Sea Sponge, Squid Ink, Star Fish, and Crab Claws all saluted and ran off in different directions to do as their Captain told them. Spade then glared at Andante.

“Well? What are you waiting for? Do your job!” He commanded with a snarl.

“Yes, sir!” Andante nervously answered before speeding off, leaving Spade by himself.

He took a deep breath.

“Oh please, what am I saying?” He asked himself with scoff; he grabbed a large bottle of apple cider from the wagon of food, opened the bottle, and took a few heavy gulps from it. “She’s still just one little pony. How far can she possibly get on her own?”

He let out a belch.