• Published 13th Oct 2018
  • 511 Views, 28 Comments

A Rose's Journey - VioletRose13



The life-changing journey of a young unicorn who's much more than she thinks...

  • ...
 28
 511

On the Ship

Moments later, Violet was on Jackpot Spade’s airship. Her front hooves were tied together with worn rope and she was blindfolded; the rest of the crew started to push her around and play with her, mocking her and laughing at her until she stopped and the blindfold was removed. There, she saw the pony everyone was talking about: Jackpot Spade himself. He was giving her a tiny, sinister smile; it frightened her.

“Violet Rose, we finally meet.” He said in a friendly tone.

“So you’re the one who’s after me?” Violet spat.

“Yes but take it easy, Miss Rose.” Spade chuckled. “It’s all in good fun. Pleased I am to initiate you into our enterprising company. Which entitles you to all the benefits thereof.”

“What if I don’t want any benefits?” The young mare retorted.

“Don’t get too cocky. This is a one-time special offer, little lass. Say no, and I will be forced to… take rather drastic measures.”

“You’re nothing but murdering pirates.”

“Pirates? Pirates?! Ha! Oh, Miss Rose; how naïve of you. If that’s what you’re thinking, you’re dead wrong.”

A pony with a concertina started to play and it was then that Spade began to sing.

When I was just a colt looking for my true vocation” He began.

My father said "Now, son, this choice deserves deliberation

Though you could be a doctor or perhaps a financier

My dear, why not consider a more challenging career?

Hey, ho, ho” The crew sang.

You'll cruise to foreign shores

And you'll keep your mind and body sound

By working out of doors

True friendship and adventure are what we can't live without

And when you're a professional pirate

That's what the job's about

Spade went on.

Now, take Sir Gallant Truth; the dragons all despise them

But to the Griffons they are heroes and they idolize them

It's how you look at buccaneers that makes them bad or good

And I see us as members of a noble brotherhood!

Hey, ho, ho” The crew sang.

We're honorable men

And before we lose our tempers we will always count to ten!”

“On occasion there may be someone you have to execute

But when you're a professional pirate

You don't have to wear a suit

…What?” Star Fish stupidly asked.

I could have been a surgeon

I like taking things apart!” Crab Claws sang.

I could have been a lawyer

But I just had too much heart” Squid Ink added.

I could have been in politics

'Cause I've always been a big spender” Star Fish chortled.

And me… I could have been a contender” Sea Sponge concluded.

Some say that pirates steal and should be feared and hated” Spade continued.

I say we're victims of bad press; it's all exaggerated

We'd never stab you in the back, we'd never lie or cheat

We're just about the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet!

The crew laughed.

“Tell me the truth, lass.” Spade spoke. “Do you think anypony in this world would be willing to be friends with the likes of us? Would even the Princess of Friendship accept us? …No? And we being the rightful owners. This one noble crew, who shed our blood finding you! Join us, girl. Donate your magic to the hunt and get a full share!”

Violet said nothing.

Hey, ho, ho” Everypony on deck sang.

It's one for all for one

And we'll share-and-share-alike with you and love you like our own

We're gentlecolts of fortune and that's what we're proud to be

And when you're a professional pirate

You'll be honest, brave, and free” Spade sang.

The soul of decency

You'll be loyal and fair and on the square

And most importantly…

When you're a professional pirate

You're always in the best of company!

The music stopped, but Violet remained silent. Spade sneered at her before he stomped his hoof on the deck.

“Send this little brat to the brig. We sail back to Ponyville at once.” He commanded.

Star Fish and Crab Claws lifted Violet off of the deck and carried her down to the brig. They threw her into a cell, unbound her hooves, and locked the door. Violet just sat in the middle of the cell, feeling even more ashamed of herself than before.

“Oh, what have I gotten myself into…?” She asked herself.

“Nighty-night, milady.” Crab Claws taunted. “You’ll have many more down here.”

The door shut, leaving Violet alone in her cell in darkness with a broken spirit and a broken heart. She started to weep and eventually, she cried herself to sleep. She was suddenly woken up by the sound of a knock.

“Wake up.” A familiar voice demanded.

Violet looked and saw Jackpot Spade; she glared at him, but said nothing.

“How does it feel?” He questioned. “Being in a cage? Held prisoner? With no way out?”

“…Why are you doing this?” Violet asked. “You’re a pony, just like… me.”

“I’m nothing like you!” He snarled. “I’m more than you will ever be.”

“How would Snow Diamond feel if she saw you like this?”

Spade froze at the mention of Snow Diamond.

“How do you know of Snow Diamond?” He asked.

“I’ve met her, back in the mountains.” Violet answered. “She said you two were happy; she called you generous and kind, and you were taken away from her… What happened to you?”

“Why so curious?”

“I just want to know what really happened… But you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. I understand.”

“…You really want to know?”

“I do.”

Spade sat down on the deck next to the cell door, Violet sat down with him and scooted closer to the door; he took a deep breath.

“I’ll tell you. But I warn you, it’s not a cheery tale.”

“I’m listening.”

Spade closed his eyes, trying to recount the tale as best he could.

There was a sailor and his wife

And she was beautiful

A foolish sailor and his wife

She was his reason, and his life

And she was beautiful

And, she was virtuous

And he was… naïve

Violet listened, entranced and intrigued in Spade’s story and gentle voice. It was as if he was singing to her, singing a very sad song. He went on.

There was another one who saw

That she was beautiful

A zealous agent of the crown

Who sought to bring their whole world down

And sent the sailor far away

While his true love was forced to stay!

Then she would slip!

So soft

So young

So lost

And oh so beautiful!

“And… what do you think became of her?” Violet asked; she noticed a few tears starting to fall from Spade’s eyes.

Ah, that was far too long ago

I doubt if anyone would know

He sighed and sat in silence for a moment. Violet sat back, in awe of such a sad story albeit disappointed in the ending. She couldn't fathom the idea that one pony would do something so cruel to another. It was almost painful to think about.

“I… I’m so sorry. I had no idea you felt so alone.” She muttered.

“Of course you had no idea! You weren’t there!” Spade snapped. “You know, I saw the truth that day. My so-called “loyal friends” abandoned me and left me to die when times got tough… And it looks like I’m not the only one who was betrayed. Face it, Miss Rose. Friendship has failed you, too.”

“No. Friendship didn’t fail meI failed friendship.”

Violet sighed and shut her eyes.