• Published 13th Oct 2018
  • 511 Views, 28 Comments

A Rose's Journey - VioletRose13



The life-changing journey of a young unicorn who's much more than she thinks...

  • ...
 28
 511

Torment's Reveal

The residents of Ponyville were either locked up in large cages or had rusty shackles around their necks and ankles; everypony was miserable. Princess Twilight and her friends were all crowded in one solitary cage with Andante keeping a close eye on them; the Applewood Vampires were in another cage on their left while the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Chancellor Neighsay were in a cage on the right.

I miss my freedom…” Sweetie Belle lamented.

I miss it so bad that I could cry

If I don’t get my music—!

“We don’t sing the blues here, kid.” Andante said, banging her hoof against the cage bars.

“Sorry.” The little unicorn whimpered.

“No tin cup banging, tiny.” The siren shouted at Spike.

“Aw man.” Spike said as he dropped his cup.

“And no carving keys to your cell outta soap!” Andante yelled at Rarity who quickly hid her makeshift key behind her back.

“This is torture.” Neighsay sighed.

“We know what you mean, pal.” Guitar Shred replied.

“This is probably the worst gig EVER.” Deep Bass commented.

“This thing even confiscated our instruments.” Hard Rock added.

“Because rock and roll is for MULES! Now be QUIET, all of you!” Andante yelled as she slammed her tail fin on the Vampires’ cage. Her ears perked up; she looked and smiled as she clapped her hooves three times. “Attention, everypony! Attention! The Captain has returned.”

Everypony turned their heads to where Andante was looking and they saw Jackpot Spade, Sea Sponge, Star Fish, Squid Ink, and Crab Claws approach… with Violet Rose right behind them. She looked at the ponies around her who were giving her looks of disgust, shock, and confusion; she felt even more ashamed than she had before. She was led into the throne room of Princess Twilight’s Castle where a circle of chalk was drawn in the middle of the floor. She sat in the middle of the circle before Andante took Princess Twilight and her friends out of their cage and placed them into their respective thrones around Violet.

“Need anything else?” Andante asked the Pegasus.

“No thank you. That will be all.” Spade said.

The siren nodded and left. The ponies surrounding Violet stared at her in shock.

“Violet Rose?” Twilight asked.

“I’m so sorry, Princess.” Violet said, turning away from the Alicorn; she looked up at Spade who was hovering in front of her. “Captain Spade, please don’t do this. Don’t give this guy—”

“Your magic?” Spade scoffed. “Did you really think you would keep it all for yourself? I say it’s about time you learned to share. And besides, you’re far too important to this expedition to go unnoticed.”

“I’ll say.” An unfamiliar voice said.

Everyone turned their heads to a dark corner of the room to see a tall dark figure step out from the shadows. It was a draconequus, only this one had dark brown fur, ram horns, bat wings, and the lower body of a scorpion. There was also a long curved horn of a unicorn sticking out from the middle of its forehead and its eyes were glowing bright red with two black cat-like pupils. The mares and young dragon gasped in shock and terror at the sight, Spade on the other hoof remained perfectly calm. In fact, he seemed rather happy to see the creature.

“Hello, Master Torment.” He said casually.

“Hello, Spade.” The creature, now dubbed as Torment, said as he stepped forward; he turned his attention to Violet and his face brightened. “Is this the pony?”

“It is.” Spade replied with a proud smile. “She and her friends put up a bit of a fight, but she’s on her own now. She won’t be a problem.”

“Good.” Torment said before he took a small wooden box out from behind his back.

“Hey, what’s that?” Applejack asked.

“Oh, nothing special.” Torment replied as he opened the box and took something out of it; the group gasped when they saw the Alicorn Amulet.

“Where the hay did you get that?!” Rainbow Dash demanded.

“I thought we hid the Alicorn Amulet where nopony would ever find it again!” Rarity shrieked.

“Don’t underestimate a creature of many talents, my lady.” The draconequus said, putting the Amulet around his neck.

“What are you doing?! Get that away from her!” Twilight demanded.

“Fat chance, Princess! I need the Amulet for my plans. Now let’s quit wasting time and get on with it, shall we?”

“Get on with what?” Violet asked.

“The transfer.”

Torment then took out another necklace identical to the Alicorn Amulet and put it around Violet’s neck, only this one was white and blue instead of black and red. Violet didn’t say a word, unsure of what was going on. Pinkie Pie suddenly got a shutter and her friends froze.

“Is it a doozy?” Fluttershy nervously asked.

“Yep. Big time.” Pinkie replied, still shivering.

‘That can’t be good.’ Violet thought before Torments unicorn horn started to glow a pale yellow.

Torment than closed his eyes, grabbed both sides of the young unicorn’s face, and touched the tip of his horn with hers, which made her horn ignite. Twilight and her friends started to glow soon after and as quickly as it started, their eyes glowed white and their own magic started to drain from their bodies and flow into Violet’s horn, which made its way into Torment’s horn. Violet strained and groaned as the magic was pulsating and coursing through her; it felt like her body was on fire. This pain was like no feeling she had ever felt before and she hated it; Spade shielded his eyes from the light, a look of slight guilt and confusion on his face.

By the time Torment pulled his horn away from Violet, the seven mares and dragon collapsed onto the floor in exhaustion and pain. Breathing heavily, they all tried to stand but their bodies ached all over and they could hardly move a muscle.

“What… what did he do to us?” Spike asked weakly.

“So tired.” Fluttershy whimpered.

“I feel all woozy…” Pinkie Pie moaned.

“It hurts so much, all over.” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“Our strength… was just drained out of us.” Twilight concluded. “And it transferred to him.”

“I get that, but… but why did he need Violet?” Applejack asked.

“Exactly. That’s what I don’t understand.” Rarity added.

“Hey, I’m just as confused as you guys.” Violet commented, rubbing her head. “The only thing all of that magic stuff did was give me a monster headache.”

“Finally, at last! Let’s get the party started!” Torment cheered.

Spade said nothing and started to approach the dark creature when he heard a voice call out to him.

“Hey, hey, hey! Hold it right there, partner!” Applejack yelled. “There’re still a few things I don’t get.”

“Yeah.” Her friends added.

“Which is?” The draconequus asked, turning around to look at the farm pony.

“Firstly, where did you find Andante? Secondly, how is she so powerful so fast? Thirdly, why can’t anypony leave town and get help? And lastly… why’d you need Violet Rose for your plans?”

“You know, she makes a pretty good point.” Spike commented.

“QUIET!” Torment roared in the little dragon’s direction; Spike shrank back in terror. Torment sighed and shook his head. “To answer your first three questions, it’s pretty simple. Firstly: I found Andante when she was only a tiny little guppy. She was tired, starving, and alone so I did the only thing I could think of: give her a fraction of my original power.”

“WHAT?!” Twilight and her friends shrieked.

“Yes; she has powers similar to mine, though she prefers to stick to her original roots. Shame, really. Secondly: the reason she is so powerful is because she feeds off of ponies’ fear instead of their negative energy. That’s why she gained so much power so quickly, EVERYPONY in this town is afraid. So with every cry, shriek, squeal, or scream in fright, Andante is given more and more strength by the second. Ain’t that right, honey?!”

“You know it, babe!” Andante called back.

“Babe?!” Rainbow Dash blurted out in shock and disgust.

“She’s also been storing the rest of Ponyville’s energy in her crystal so nopony could try any tricks. And thirdly: the reason nopony can leave this tiny little town or get help from anyone outside its borders is because the little cloaking device spell Andante and I set up. True the Princesses can see what’s happening, but nopony, not even them, can get in or get out even if they tried.”

“Then how is she still afraid of me?” Spade asked.

“You know nopony wants to get on your bad side, no matter how powerful they are.” Torment replied.

“And the last question?” Rarity inquired.

“The answer to your last question? Oh yes. The reason why I needed Miss Violet Rose for my little scheme is because she possesses a rare magic FAR more powerful than all of the Alicorns in the world. It’s called the Blue Flower.”

“Disarray told me he wanted the Blue Flower.” Violet commented.

“Oh no, my dear. Typhon didn’t want it; I did. I was only using his body as a temporary vessel to trick you when you arrived at Mt. Bedlam.”

“Mt. Bedlam?” Fluttershy looked at Violet.

“Long story.” The young mare replied.

“Anyway, your Blue Flower was stronger than I first thought. You still had access to your magic while your little friends were practically powerless.”

“But… why do I have this Blue Flower?”

“It’s genetic. Your mother had a tiny fraction of it and it’s been dormant in your family tree since your ancestor, a unicorn mare by the name of Blood Moon, discovered it and harnessed its true potential. But she was afraid it would cause more harm than good, so she made it so the magical trait itself would just gather up piece by piece until finally, it become whole again… and now it’s inside you, Violet Rose. Or at least it used to be.”

Torment chuckled; Violet shut her eyes and laid down on the floor in shame.

“But why are you doing this, Torment?” Twilight asked.

“Why? …Because I’ve always been craving more and more power since the beginning and now that I have it, there’s nothing in this world than can stop me.”

Torment then began to sing.

A sheep has left the fold” He began.

Hoof beats go trotting, trotting

Up to heaven, bold

At the gates, knocking, knocking

Sheep in wolfish clothes

Holy jaws are dropping

Up in Heaven's hold

Plant my hooves, my hooks, my books

As he continued to sing, Torment failed to notice Spade coming to Violet’s aid. He offered her his hoof and helped her back onto her feet.

Once upon a time

Heaven was a towered tower

Tethered in its pride

Castor's grace is sour, sour

Thought the ink was dried

But deathly gardens flowered

Ivy to be climbed

Spread my filth, my wings, my weeds, my weeds

My fairest wheels are turning

Hark the angels wail

Bedtime is a-burning, burning

We've got grace for sale

How the worm is turning, turning

Lay you down to sleep

With wicked little stories

Count your missing sheep

Shed my skin, my fleece, my sin, my worms

They burrow up the line

Serpents in the branches, branching

Up those crooked vines

Vultures of a feather hatching

Circus lullabies

Carousels are ramping up to heaven

I raise my claw, my cane, my stakes, my snakes

Tongues, tongues

Slither in the mud

That's how a carnival grows, my son

Tongues, tongues

Slither on your hopes

That's how a carnival grows!

All these fickle beasts

Heaven hath rejected, lapping

Glory for our feats

Each of them is tested, blessed

Cast out for your sin

Come here for redemption

We've got grace for cheap

We've got grace for cheap

Lest you end up bested, lost and torn to shreds, dissected

Tongues, tongues

Slither in the mud

Slither in the mud

Slither in the mud

That's how a carnival grows, my son

That's how a carnival grows

Tongues, tongues

Slither on your hopes

Slither on your hopes

Slither on your hopes

That's how a carnival grows, my son

That's how a carnival grows

Fa la la, to Tartarus we go

Cross your heart and hope to fly

To Tartarus we go

Fa la la, to Tartarus we go

Stick a cupcake in your eye

To Tartarus we go

Torment’s horn glowed again and a bright red light suddenly shown outside the castle. He gestured for Spade and Violet to go out onto the balcony and take a look. They did and what they saw made their blood run cold. Everypony was dancing and hopping in a large circle around a huge bonfire. They were also singing.

Fa la la, to Tartarus we go

Cross your heart and hope to fly

To Tartarus we go

Fa la la, to Tartarus we go

Stick a cupcake in your eye

To Tartarus we go

Fa la la, to Tartarus we go

Cross your heart and hope to fly

To Tartarus we go

Fa la la, to Tartarus we go

Stick a cupcake in your eye

To Tartarus we go

Fa la la, to Tartarus we go

Cross your heart and hope to fly

To Tartarus

Violet blinked and gulped; she couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Everypony from Ponyville had been turned into slaves and mindless zombies. Spade couldn’t believe what he was seeing either. He didn’t say a word; he only stared at the scene down below with a look of shock and pure terror.

‘What have I gotten myself into…?’