• Published 11th Oct 2018
  • 5,127 Views, 288 Comments

A Trail Leading Home - Hades Shadow 92



A father and his little filly find a home in Ponyville. What new adventures await them? And will the past catch up with them?

  • ...
5
 288
 5,127

Ch. 19 - Basilisk

Chapter 19

-- Basilisk --

Back in Ponyville, Zala was wildling a sculpture out of a small piece of wood with her knife. Just sitting on the front porch of her brother’s home. Well technically it was her home now as well.

Suddenly, a knife flew through the air in front of the porch, landing a direct hit on a target that had been set up. A perfect bullseye, right in the middle, the knife dug in halfway.

“Must you do that sister? One wrong throw and some poor soul will lose something.” Zala said, her voice slightly annoyed.

“Hey, I know what I’m doing. And since when have I ever hit anyone?” Tala said, grinning as she pulled the knife out of the target.

“I do recall a young griffin long ago who lost some of his ear.” Zala said with a smirk.

“Hey! He hit on me, and when I said no, he spat at me. He’s lucky I didn’t aim for something more tender.” Tala said, her eyes glaring at her zebra sister.

Zala chuckled and continued her task, leaving Tala to huff and go back to throwing.

“Besides, you’re one to talk. What about that one buck who “accidently” bumped your flank at that club in Fillydelphia?” Tala smirked.

Zala’s knife stopped suddenly, and she sighed, “I admit, I lost my temper. But the bruises should have healed nicely.”

“Yeah but good luck on continuing his family line after that kick you gave him.” Tala laughed.

Zala pouted at her sister and threw pebble at her, missing by a hair as Tala moved her head just in time to dodge.

“Hey, the truth hurts doesn’t…” Tala said before she stopped mid-sentence.

A ringing in her ears sounded, one that she had only heard a few times before. A whistle from far off, but still clear to her.

Zala looked up at her sister. Tala quickly turned to her in the direction of the forest. Something wasn’t right.

“Sister, what is it?” Zala asked.

Tala didn’t answer right away, just stood there, her leg trembling slightly.

And as Zala moved towards her, she spoke, “Comet!”

Tala immediately took to the air, flying into the house with great speed, returning with a pair of twin axes. These weapons were custom made for her, her weapons of choice. And as soon as she cleared the front door, she took off towards the forest.

Zala was stunned, but only for a moment. She grabbed her staff from the front porch and took off in the same direction as her sister, trying to keep up.

Tala flew with all her strength, flapping her wings to gain as much speed as possible.

“Hold on Comet, Auntie is coming.” Tala said, eyes locked on the horizon, barreling towards the direction of the whistle.


“An illusion!?” Rainbow said angrily.

“Yes, and we all know of only one reason he would pull something like this!” Trail yelled back.

“You were supposed to have kept an eye on him! When did he have time to slip away?” Rainbow said.

“Are you saying that this is my fault!? He obviously set this up before we separated into groups!” Trail spat back.

“Oh so this is my fault!” Rainbow pushed back.

“Both of you stop it!” Fluttershy said, pushing the two ponies away from each other.

Trail was honestly shocked, as he had never seen the little yellow pegasus raise her voice like that. He and Rainbow looked away and sat down.

They had made it to the clearing without any other incident. Fluttershy’s team had apparently made it first, but as soon as Trail mentioned Tourmaline was missing, no one really cared about the prize.

“Now, fighting isn’t getting us anywhere. We need to find Comet’s group, and Tourmaline.” Fluttershy said sternly.

“Yeah you’re right Shy. Sorry Trail.” Rainbow said, rubbing the back of her head.

“I’m sorry too. Fluttershy is right, we need to find them.” Trail said.

“So how are we gonna do that?” Rainbow asked.

“First, we should get the rest of the students back to base camp. Then we can track Starlight’s group from where they started. If they haven’t made it here yet, something clearly set them off course.” Trail said.

“Right. Alright kids, we’re heading back to camp, stay with your team leader and no wandering off!” Rainbow yelled out as she took to the air.

Everyone started to head back in the direction of camp, Trail leading the pack.

“Please be safe Comet.” Trail said.


“Get back!” Starlight yelled out as she fired a beam of magic at the basilisk.

The beast roared in irritation but seemed almost unharmed other than a slight burn mark on it’s scales. It hissed and continued to stare them down as it had the group pinned against the mouth of the cave. Like it was trying to scare us into running inside.

“It’s trying to corral us into the cave!” Comet said.

“I’m not going in there!” Gallus yelled out.

“My magic doesn’t seem to hurt it!” Starlight yelled out in frustration as she fired another bolt.

“Basilisks are highly resistant to magic!” Comet said.

“Great. Let’s see how it likes fire!” Smoulder said.

She took to the air and took in a deep breath, firing a ball of flame that hit the beast in the face. It recoiled back and roared again, but again didn’t seem fazed all that much.

“Guessing they’re fire resistant too.” Ocellus said meekly.

“Well what does work on them!?” Sandbar yelled out in panic.

“I don’t know! Daddy never talked about fighting them! Only how to avoid them!” Comet screamed back.

Starlight kept her position, putting herself between the beast and the children. She was starting to pant heavily. She had used a lot of magic to keep this thing at a distance. But she couldn’t keep it up forever.

Suddenly Comet remembered something, which drove her to dig in her saddlebags.

“Please be here, please be here.” Comet said as she practically dumped out her bag. Sketchbooks and art supplies fell out alongside some notebooks.

But then something else fell out, a string of firecrackers. Smoulder came down from her assault on the basilisk to land next to her.

“Are those firecrackers?” Smoulder asked.

“Smoulder, light these up and throw them at the front of it! It might trigger it’s instinct to run!” Comet said, passing the firecrackers to the dragon.

Smoulder didn’t question her and did as she was told. As the firecrackers threw through the air, the crackled to life, landing right in front of the beast as it prepared to lunge at them. The snake hissed in shock as it backed away from the loud objects.

For a second, Comet thought it had worked and the creature would leave. But it simply slammed its tail against the crackers, causing dirt to fly up and silence them. It turned back towards the group and Starlight fired another shot of magic at it to get its attention away from the students.

The beast was tired of her attacks and swung its tail around, making Starlight bring up a shield just in time to take the hit for her. But the force of the blow still sent her flying, making her crash into the wall of the cave.

“Starlight!” Comet yelled, running towards her mentor.

“No Comet, stay back!” Starlight yelled as best she could.

The blow had taken the wind out of her, but nothing too serious thanks to her shield. The basilisk slithered towards her, following Comet. As the filly reached her teacher, she used her magic to try and help Starlight up on her hooves.

As Starlight got up, she immediately took a defensive position over Comet, glaring at the snake, her glowing hot with magic. The other students could only watch in horror as the beast slithered closer to them.


Trail and the others had made it back to base camp, all students accounted for. All except for Comet’s group and Tourmaline of course. They gathered everyone in the center of the camp, coming up with a plan to find the others.

“We need to split up, one of us needs to lead the rest of the students back to Ponyville.” Trail said.

“You’re absolutely right Trail, the kids have to be safe. I’ll take them back.” Fluttershy said.

“I will go as well. What more surprises could happen, none can tell.” Zecora said, standing next to Fluttershy.

“Awesome, you two get the kids back to the school. Find Twilight and tell her what’s going on. Me and Trail will find Starlight and the others.” Rainbow said confidently.

Trail nodded, “Good. Best we get started.”

But before anyone could speak again, one of the students yelled out, “Hey Tourmaline!”

Trail immediately snapped his head to the direction of the voice, the crowd of students stepping away to reveal the unicorn colt. He had a nervous look on his face, sweat poured from his brow.

Trail growled and stomped in his direction, making the colt turn to make a run for it. But he was too slow as Trail grabbed his tail in his magic. He dragged the colt to the circle of teachers in the center of the crowd. Rainbow, Fluttershy and Zecora all looking at him with very angry expressions.

“You’ve got a lot of explaining to do Tourmaline.” Fluttershy said sternly.

“Let’s start with where my daughter and her friends are.” Trail said angrily.

“I… don’t know what you’re talking about.” Tourmaline said.

Trail glared and shook the colt in his magic, “I suggest you don’t lie to me boy!”

“Hey Trail, easy.” Rainbow said.

Trail ignored her and continued to glare at the colt, eyes burning with a fire none of the ponies present had seen.

“Where… are… they?” Trail said.

Tourmaline was petrified, shaking in Trail’s magical grip, sweat dripping harder than before off his brow, “They’re… near a cave east of here.”

Trail’s eye widened at that, dropping the kid and immediately going to his bow and arrows he kept in the teacher’s tent. When he re-emerged with his weapon, Rainbow caught him.

“Woah woah, Trail, what is up?” Rainbow asked.

“That cave is near a basilisk’s hunting grounds! It’s why I made each path as far to the west of it as possible!”

Tourmaline tried to make a run for it while the teachers were distracted, but stopped short when a striped hoof stepped on his tail. He looked up to see Zecora glaring down at him.

“I suggest you stay still, for your future already bodes ill.”

Zecora and Fluttershy then started to take the children on the path out of the forest, while Rainbow and Trail followed the hoofprints of Starlight’s group.


Starlight was panting at this point, her magic barely even making the snake flinch at this point. Sweat ran down her brow as she stood her ground, standing over Comet who was too terrified to stand anymore.

The rest of the children didn’t know what to do either, all they could do was stand there while the creature continued to advance on their friend and teacher.

Starlight only had one idea left, and it wasn’t a good one. But what choice did she have at this point. She had to get the children out of here. With the last of the strength, she teleported herself and Comet back to the cave entrance, landing in the middle of the group, nearly collapsing. But before she did, she turned and fired one last beam of magic at the mouth of the cave, causing an explosion that collapsed the entrance of the cave.

“Woah, Miss Starlight, that was awesome!” Smoulder cheered.

“No time for that Smoulder! You kids need to run!” Starlight said, her legs finally giving out as she collapsed to the ground, panting for breathe.

Her horn was blackened, a clear sign of magic burnout. She was tapped.

“But what about you?” Comet asked frantically.

“Nevermind me, get out of here!” Starlight shouted.

A loud crash came from the cave, making everyone turn to see the pile of rubble shifting again and again.

“It’s trying to break through! Come on Miss Starlight!” Sandbar said, trying to help Starlight back to her feet.

“No, go! Just go! I’ll be alright!” Starlight said, pushing him away.

“We no leave without Counselor pony!” Yona said, stomping to make herself heard.

Yona then moved her head under Starlight and threw her on her back, carrying the unicorn mare. The kids then started to run, but didn’t get far when a louder crash caught their attention. They turned to see the basilisk breaking through the rubble and turning to hiss angrily at them.

And then it charged.

Ocellus screamed as it came towards them, all of the friends closing their eyes, waiting for the inevitable impact.


Trail and Rainbow had made progress through the forest, finding a tree that had Sandbar’s name carved into it. They were on the right track.

“So why did he carve his name into this tree?” Rainbow asked.

“We can save questions like that for when we find them. At least we know Tourmaline didn’t lie to us.” Trail said, following the hoofprints left by the group.

“What was he thinking? Rivalry is one thing, but this is going way too far.” Rainbow said.

“I don’t know. All I know is that he won’t get away with this. I’ll make sure of that.” Trail said, his voice going dark.

“Woah woah. Trail, I know you’re mad. But threatening the kid like that is not helping. Let Twilight deal with him when we get back.” Rainbow said, flying in front of him.

“Like the other times he’s bullied students? Clearly the princess doesn’t as much authority as I was led to believe.” Trail said, pushing past the pegasus.

“Hey! Do not disrespect Twilight! She is not a pushover!” Rainbow shot back.

“I’m not saying she is! All I’m saying is that her normal method of punishment isn’t gonna cut it this time!” Trail said.

Suddenly, a loud scream rang through the woods, making them snap their heads in it’s direction.

“That was Ocellus!” Rainbow shouted.

“This way, quick!” Trail yelled as he went into a full sprint.


The impact from the beast’s attack never came, only the sound of an eagle screech and a loud cry from the snake.

Comet opened her eyes first, seeing the most welcome sight she had seen all day.

“Auntie Tala!” Comet yelled out.

The griffin landed in between the group of friends, and the basilisk, which had been knocked against the cliffside. A large cut was visible along one of its eyes. Her feathers were ruffled, and she had two twin axes in her claws. Her eyes were hot with rage, and looked as sharp as the blades on her weapons.

The rest of the friends opened their eyes at Comet’s shout, seeing the griffin stare down the beast. Starlight too was relieved to see her, barely able to open her eyes at this point.

“Stay away from my niece!” Tala screamed.

The basilisk recovered, slowly getting up and glaring at the griffin. It slithered around, sizing Tala up. Both were waiting for the other to make a move.

It was Tala who struck first, leaping into the air again, both axes swinging as she dove for the beast. It tried to swat at her with its tail, only to miss and get a slash for its efforts. It howled in pain, and drew its tail back. It opted for a strike instead, causing Tala to roll midair. It barely missed her, but gave her an opportunity to land another blow on its head.

Then Tala flew back, making the beast turn its body away from Starlight’s group and towards the mouth of the cave again. Tala needed to get it away from the kids.

Comet realized this, looking to her friends, “Now’s our chance. We gotta get away from here.”

She said this quietly, gesturing with her hoof for the others to keep quiet. Yona still had Starlight on her back, so she led the way towards the edge of the forest.

When they were almost to the trees, two figures popped out, one flying and the other on the ground. Rainbow and Trail stopped right in front of the group in shock.

“Daddy!” Comet screamed, running to hug the stallion tightly.

Trail grabbed her in the tightest hug he had ever given her.

“I’m here sweetheart. I’m here.” Trail said, stroking her mane to try and calm her down.

Comet sobbed into his chest, not wanting to let go, ever.

“Starlight, what the heck happened to you?” Rainbow yelled out, making Trail look up to see his friend on Yona’s back.

“She was protecting us. I think she overused her magic.” Ocellus said, her voice shaky.

Comet and Trail ran over to Starlight looking frantic. Starlight lifted her head to see Trail looking over her horn.

“Hey Trail.” She said meekly.

“Don’t talk. Save your strength. We’re gonna get you out of here.” Trail said, still looking for any injuries she might have.

“I’m sorry.” Starlight said.

That made Trail look at her in disbelief, “What in Celestia’s name do you need to be sorry about?”

“I should have seen Tourmaline’s illusion sooner. Some magic teacher I am.” Starlight said, averting her eyes away from him.

“Starlight.” Trail said, his ears drooping.

A loud screech got all of their attention as they looked to see Tala taking a hit from the basilisk. The griffin was knocked to the ground, but got back up and stood her ground against the beast.

Just as Trail was about to run out and help her, another figure broke through the treeline. The group turned to see Zala with her staff running towards them.

“Sister!” Trail yelled.

Zala quickly made her way to them, “Brother, is everyone alright?”

“Starlight is exhausted but the children seem unharmed. We have to help Tala!” Trail pointed towards the battle between his griffin sister and the large snake.

“Yes. Come brother.” Zala said, grabbing her staff in her mouth and running in that direction.

“Rainbow, stay with them!” Trail yelled as he began to run too.

His bow was ready in seconds, an arrow flying as soon as he was in range. It bounced against the neck of the creature, making it turn to glare at them. It lunged towards them, missing Zala by only a few feet. The zebra mare nimbly made her way to the side of the basilisk, throwing a sphere from her saddlebags.

The bomb exploded, making ice go everywhere, covering the beast’s side. It howled and thrashed, causing the ice to crack. Trail made his way to the other side of the beast, letting loose an ice arrow towards its head. The beast ducked under it, and swung its tail around to knock Trail into a tree.

Tala yelled out in anger and launched herself onto the beast’s head, making it thrash about, trying to knock her off. But Tala steadied herself by digging an axe into its scaly head. The basilisk roared in pain and thrashed harder, knocking the griffin off, but leaving the axe in its skull.

“Brother! The axe!” Zala yelled out, before launching another bomb at the base of its tail.

The ice froze it in place, leaving the creature vulnerable. Trail knew exactly what Zala was getting at. He pulled out another type of arrow from his quiver.

Normally, the basilisk’s scales make it immune to most types of elemental magic. But with that axe stuck in its head, it gave a perfect opportunity for a certain element to penetrate.

A yellow tip arrow sparked as Trail nocked it and aimed for the axe. The beast’s thrashing didn’t make it easy, but with patience, Trail found an opening. He let the arrow fly, and it hit the axe right where the blade met the beast’s scales.

Sparks of electricity went straight from the blade into the beast’s head, making it roar in pain. It thrashed about wildly, knocking Zala away from it. Luckily, Tala was there to catch her.

All three siblings watched as the beast gave one last screech into the air, sparks dancing all around its body before it stopped and fell forward. The beast’s impact drew up dust and obscured their vision for a few moments. But as the dust cleared, they could see no movement from the creature.

Trail moved to join his sisters, never taking his eye off the basilisk. As he walked by its head, he could see that life had left its eyes. He pulled out his sister's axe and left the beast to lay.

“Are you two ok?” Trail asked, passing Tala her axe.

“A little worn out and bruised, but I’ll be fine.” Tala said panting.

“I am also fine. Are you well brother?” Zala asked in return.

“Shoulder is a bit sore from that hit, but it’s nothing serious. Let’s get out of here.” Trail answered.

The three moved to join Rainbow and the kids, Comet immediately hugging both of her aunts, tears streaming down her face. The two comforted her for a minute before Rainbow spoke up.

“Alright, let’s get back to Ponyville. You kids are all seeing a doctor, no buts about it. Starlight you too.” Rainbow said sternly.

“Yes Professor Dash.” All the kids said in unison.

The group then left the clearing, leaving the basilisk behind. No one said anything as they made their way back to Ponyville. But they knew things were not over.

Author's Note:

Another chapter done. Sorry it was late. Depression and writers block wouldn't leave me alone. But still, hope you all enjoy!

Hades