• Published 11th Oct 2018
  • 5,126 Views, 288 Comments

A Trail Leading Home - Hades Shadow 92



A father and his little filly find a home in Ponyville. What new adventures await them? And will the past catch up with them?

  • ...
5
 288
 5,126

Ch. 35- Relationship

Chapter 35

– Relationship –

“Trail, relax. It’s just our morning coffee. You don’t need to treat it any differently.” Starlight chuckled.

“I know, it’s just these darn butterflies in my stomach. Don’t really know what counts as a date.” Trail said, a bashful look on his face.

“Well, I’m no expert myself. I think it’s more along the lines of a candlelit dinner, or going out dancing.” Starlight said.

“Oh no, I ain’t one for dancing.” Trail said.

“Oh, you seemed pretty light on your hooves at the Nightmare Night party.” Starlight smirked.

Trail blushed, “Y’all are just saying that.”

Starlight giggled and nuzzled him, “I mean every word. I’m not much of a dancer myself, but I wouldn’t mind going out dancing sometime.”

Trail smiled and nuzzled her back, “Your wish is my command Miss Glimmer.”

“Now don’t you start calling me that, you gentlestallion.” Starlight chuckled.

Both laughed as they enjoyed their morning coffee. It had been several days since Nightmare Night, and Trail and Starlight’s relationship had taken off. Smiles and nuzzles were almost constant, and they spent a lot more time together. Trail even helped Starlight around her office in the school.

Starlight had tried to go out in the forest with him, but she still wasn’t much of an outdoors pony. But it was sweet of her to try.

Flash!

Trail shielded his eyes from the sudden blinding flash of light, “What in Luna’s moon?”

Starlight also shielded her eyes and looked to the source of the flash, a unicorn mare with a camera. She was light green with bright green eyes, and an orange mane that was loose and not styled. Her cutie mark was that of a ladybug with three leaves.

“Oh I’m so sorry. I thought my flash was off. Can you forgive me? I don’t expect you to forgive me. Forgive me?” The mare said, smiling innocently at the end of her apologies.

“Uh, that’s alright. No harm done Miss. But why are you taking our pictures?” Trail asked.

“Oh I’m getting inspiration for an article I’m doing with Princess Twilight and her friends. I’m going to document them and their incredible friendship work they do.” The photographer said.

“Oh yeah, Twilight told me about that. We weren’t expecting you for another hour.” Starlight said.

“Oh, it’s not too early is it? I didn’t want to seem like I’m rushing you.” She said.

“Not at all. Let me just finish my coffee and I’ll take you to the castle.” Starlight said.

“Oh of course. I’ll just leave you to your coltfriend.” She said, walking away.

“Duty calls. The Great Mage Starlight Glimmer just can’t catch a break without somepony needing her magnificent guidance.” Trail said, giving a big smirk.

“Oh hush you.” Starlight blushed.

“I’ll see you for dinner tonight right?” Trail asked.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Starlight said, finishing her coffee and moving to plant a kiss on Trail’s cheek.

Trail blushed this time and returned the kiss on the cheek. Starlight then waved goodbye and directed the photographer to the castle.


As Starlight and the photographer reached the throne room, the mare acted like Starlight wasn’t even there. She just immediately got all the elements to sit in their thrones.

“Alright, let’s just pretty you all up.” The mare said, as she went around the room and plucked hairs from every mare in the throne room.

All of the elements of harmony grimaced and gave the photographer looks. Rainbow especially felt the tug of the hair out of her tail.

“Ow! Hey.” Rainbow said, rubbing her flank.

“Don’t want a hair out of place do we?” The photographer said.

Then the mare suddenly started across the room, getting pictures of every mare in the room, except Starlight.

“Well, that’s that. Bye.” The photographer said.

“Wait! You forgot Starlight. She needs a picture too.” Pinkie Pie shouted as she blocked the exit.

The mare sighed and took a single photo of Starlight before vanishing out the door.

“Wow, she was in a hurry.” Starlight said.

“And a tad rude. I certainly understand wanting to look my best, but plucking hairs like that without warning. Also not even letting us pose for our own pictures. I doubt she’s been with the Canterlot Historical Society long.” Rarity spoke.

“I’m sure she was just excited, girls. We all have our passions.” Twilight said.

“Yeah I guess. But that really hurt.” Rainbow pouted.

“I don’t know much about this Historical Society, but if it gets our message across to more ponies, it was worth a few hairs I reckon.” Applejack said, dusting off her hat.

“Applejack is right. The important thing is that more ponies learn about friendship.” Fluttershy said.

“Righty O. Now, onto the more important topics for today.” Pinkie said, grinning over to Starlight.

Starlight saw this look and immediately thought about running for the hills. Though this was Pinkie Pie, so escape was impossible.

“Starlight, how have you and Trail been doing?” Pinkie asked.

This sparked more of the elements to move over to the unicorn mare and give her smirks and smiles. Starlight felt really embarrassed right there and she tried to keep her composure.

“Eh… it’s been alright. We’re very happy.” Starlight said.

“Oh come now Darling, details. We simply must hear all the juicy details.” Rarity said.

“Yeah, like how good a kisser Trail is.” Rainbow smirked.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight shouted.

“What? It’s just a question.” Rainbow shrugged.

Starlight wanted to disappear right then and there. Her friends were all looking at her again and her face couldn’t have been more red.


“So, bringing your marefriend for dinner tonight?” Tala said, poking fun at her blushing brother.

He cleared his throat as he moved through the brush of the forest, “As a matter of fact, yes she will be joining us. Though asking you to behave yourself is a waste of breath.”

“Hey, no worries. I like her. She’s got that tough mare feeling to her, with that gentle side I know you like.” Tala smirked.

Trail groaned, “Will you just keep a lookout? We’re supposed to be looking for any sign of predators in the area.”

“Yeah yeah. Man, ever since that basilisk incident, you’ve been really paranoid about predators this close to town.” Tala said.

“And why shouldn't I be? Comet and her friends almost got eaten. Starlight could’ve even lost her magic due to burnout.” Trail said.

“Hey, I want Comet safe and sound as much as you do. Going out and driving off predators isn’t good for the forest. You’re upsetting the balance bro.” Tala said.

“As much as it pains me to admit it, she does have a point brother.” Zala said, emerging from the growth ahead of them.

Trail groaned again, “Not you too Zala. Look, I just want to make sure everypony in the town is safe. We don’t need another basilisk lurking nearby. Or an Ursa Major.”

“Please brother. An Ursa wouldn’t attack unless provoked. They can be quite docile.” Zala said.

“Yeah, I’d be more concerned about that Hydra in Froggy Bottom Bog, if it wasn’t so big and fat. Big oaf couldn’t make it a day without being in the water.” Tala said.

Trail sighed, “Maybe you two are right. Maybe I’m just being overprotective. I just don’t want anypony else to get hurt.”

Tala and Zala hugged their brother.

“Hey, no one said to stop worrying. Just don’t go all territorial on us.” Tala said.

“We can study the forest and respect its balance at the same time. As we’ve done with so many other environments.” Zala said.

“I know. I just don’t want our study to hurt anypony.” Trail said, looking down.
Both sisters came up to his sides, sporting smiles of comfort.

“That is why we’re out here. Making sure nothing dangerous is afoot. We can scout and survey all in one outing.” Zala said.

“Yeah, there’s nothing we three can’t do when we work together, right bro?” Tala said, nudging Trail with her wing.

Trail smiled at his sisters, “You got that right sis.”

All three continued down the path, surveying the land and searching for any possible sign of danger. Nothing could escape their gaze.


The photographer mare had left the castle and made her way to the forest, entering a clearing with six trees all lined in a circle. She removed the pictures and locks of hair that she took from the Elements and laughed maniacally as green flames engulfed her, turning her into Queen Chrysalis.

“Now my plans can come to fruition. With this spell, I will make perfect copies of Twilight and her friends. Then, the Elements of Harmony will be under my command. Equestria will be without its greatest weapon, and will fall to my power.” Chrysalis said.

As she placed the pictures and hairs on the trees, she continued to laugh.

“Yes, my soon to be minions. It is almost time to begin our little plan. You will be just perfect.” Chrysalis said, literally skipping with glee and she started burning the images of the cutiemarks into their respective trees.

“Once the elements are in my control, I will make Equestria my new hive. Earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi will all bow to me, as their Queen!” Chrysalis declared.

Then she came across the picture of Starlight and her coltfriend.

“Of course I haven’t forgotten about Starlight Glimmer. She stole my hive, turned my subjects against me. I will make her pay for all of it! And her little coltfriend will be the perfect weapon to do so.” Chrysalis said, grinning viciously.

“Trail, did you hear something?” A voice rang out through the forest.

Chrysalis gasped and cast an illusion spell on the area around her, hiding her presence as well as her circle of trees. She hid in a nearby bush just in case, searching for whoever could be out there.
Soon a trio of beings crossed a clearing right next to hers, it was Starlight’s coltfriend, along with a zebra and a griffon. They were looking around and talking, but Chrysalis didn’t bother to listen. All she could see was an opportunity to make her plan even more devious.

She crept closer to the path that they would take and waited for them to pass. As the trio moved past her, Chrysalis got a perfect view of his cutiemark. She had also found a strand of hair that had been caught in a group of vines that he had gone through.

“So, what’s gonna be for dinner tonight Trail? What will the great Trail Blazer make for his pretty marefriend?” The griffon chuckled.

“Well if you keep that up, all you’ll be getting tonight is steamed broccoli.” The stallion smirked.

The griffon paled, “You wouldn’t?”

The zebra burst into laughter as the trio disappeared into the foliage. Chrysalis undid her illusion when she was sure they were gone. Returning to her trees, she looked at the picture of Trail Blazer. She slowly started to chuckle.

She held the hair of the stallion in front of her as she grinned wickedly, “Oh I know just what to do with you.”

She then burned the mark into the tree and moved to the center of the circle. She cackled as she performed her spell, causing a green circle of magic to form around her. A green magical beam then shot between all the trees, causing each of them to glow and eventually split open. Inside the trees emerged seven ponies, each looking striking similar to the Elements of Harmony and Trail Blazer, albeit with dull colors.

“Oh my, you all came out perfectly. Now to bring my plan to the next phase.” Chrysalis said.

“Pfft, phase smase. Sounds like the worst day ever.” Fake Pinkie Pie said.

Fake Fluttershy came over and pushed her to the ground, “Now it’s the worst day ever.”

The Fake Twilight moved next to the queen, “And what exactly is your plan? Go off into the Everfree forest and take the elements?”

“No.” Chrysalis said plainly.

Fake Twilight raised an eyebrow, “What? But I thought you wanted to use us to control the elements?”

“Oh I do. But not just yet. I’m sure the elements have some manner of defense mechanism in place. Otherwise, something would have found them long ago. Besides, we can have much more fun with our enemies first.” Chrysalis smiled.

Fake Twilight smirked at that.

Fake Trail Blazer then came up to them, “And what exactly am I doing here? I’m no Element.”

“You have the most important job of all.” Chrysalis said smoothly.

Her grin grew dark, “Breaking Starlight’s heart.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys, Hades here.

Another chapter down. And looks like Chrysalis is here! She is plotting something terrible for our new couple. What evil could she been cooking up?

We'll see next time.

Stay tuned everyone,
Hades