• Published 4th Aug 2018
  • 4,343 Views, 950 Comments

Little Lost Pikachu - CommanderX5



One month has passed since Twilight and her friends provided Raichu with a home, food, kindness and friendship. Now when more pokemon are summoned into Equestria, it is up to Nica to ensure that Ash Pikachu’s visit will be as memorable.

  • ...
14
 950
 4,343

PreviousChapters Next
Ch.5 - The Great Chase - Pt.2

Little Lost Pikachu
-

Chapter 5
-
The Great Chase - Pt.2


Nica trotted through Sweet Apple Acres, bypassing trees with two baskets wrapped by her tail. After finally losing Pikachu while ensuring he would get the ice-cream and her message, she needed to do something, something which would put her messed mind at ease and let her think in peace. With some stamina to spare, a bit of labor at the farm seemed to be what she needed.

“Thank ya kindly,” Big Mac said while pulling the half-full cart.

“You’re welcome,” Nica replied while forcing a smile. She stood on the tips of her rear paws and moved the baskets up, tilting them to drop her cargo into the cart. Under other circumstances, a quick cheerful jump was all she needed to quickly rush between the cart and nearby trees, but today she didn’t feel like it.

Lucario focused energy with his hand before gently pressing it against a tree, causing it to shake and drop apples without damaging the surface. A golden collar with blue gems was present on his neck. “Captain, stressed. Meditation advised.”

“Stressed, why?” Applejack asked as she lowered her raised rear legs and gave Nica a questioning glance.

“It’s nothing big, don’t worry.”

“Nica!”

The long-tailed pokemon looked up and waved. From above thriving branches, a prismatic streak flew through the trees and landed in front of her.

“Hey Rainbow Dash.” Her smile vanished the moment she noticed who the passenger sitting on the pegasus’ back was. She took a step back as her ears drooped. All her efforts to free Pikachu from her presence proved for nothing as she once again needed to run away.

“Wait, I need to talk with you!” Pikachu shouted as he jumped from Rainbow Dash.

Nica turned around and ran, only for the pegasus to fly above her head and block her escape route.

“Not so fast. Your hero wants to talk with you.”

Nica looked between Dash and Pikachu who flanked her from both sides. She released the baskets from her tail and stood on four paws, preparing herself for a long jump.

“Please, don’t go. I just want to apologize,” Pikachu begged with a pleading voice.

Dash flew closer and grabbed Nica’s tail with her forelegs. “Come on Nica! At least give him a moment to say sorry.”

Nica stood on her two feet and turned around, staring at her hero in confusion. “Apologize? Whatever for?”

Applejack, Big Mac and Lucario turned to them, listening with full attention while staring curiously while Rainbow Dash slowly released her tail.

Pikachu approached her and held his forepaws together in an apologetic gesture. “For offending you and for making you sad.”

“What? But I…”

Pikachu’s ears drooped as he lowered his head. “I understand that you have your beliefs and take pride in being a Raichu, and that it had to shock you when I told you I don’t want to evolve.” He raised his head and stood on the tips of his hind paws, staring at her with those cute, oval eyes. Their size difference apparent as he only reached her chin. “But I assure you, I don’t think any less of you and I think you’re a really kind and great Raichu. So another Raichu went too hard on me in a battle, no big deal. You shouldn't feel guilty over it. You’re great just the way you are.” He grabbed the bronze edge of her forepaw as she blushed. “Let’s forget about our disagreement and just enjoy each other's company like we did before, alright?”

“You… you got it all wrong,” Nica said as she waited for Pikachu to release her paw. Her ears drooped again. “It’s true that I feel ashamed that other Raichu hurt you in the past, but I’m not sad that you have a different approach to evolution. It’s not why I started avoiding you and letting you win in all those tests.”

“Then why?”

Nica looked to the side, a depressed smile present on her face.

Lucario crossed his arms and gave his captain a disapproving stare. “Fears, secrets, hurt. Escape, poor solution.” He shook his head. “Pikachu, Raichu, both nice, want best for each other. Honesty, best solution.”

“Ah can’t agree more,” Applejack said with a firm nod as she approached and raised her head. “Listen, sugarcube, Ah got no clue what happened between ya two, but for the last two days ya were such great friends, so happy together. Ah can’t stand seein’ ya sad like that.”

“Be honest,” Big Mac said firmly. “Ya both want what's best for each other. It’ll work out in the end.”

“But… what if it all takes a turn for the worst?” Nica asked.

“And what if it’ll turn it all for the better? Give it a go,” Applejack said with a knowing grin.

“Al-alright…” Nica looked at Pikachu, who stared back with a hopeful expression. “I… I avoided you, and held back my skills… to make you happier.”

“But… I am happier with you around,” Pikachu said with a shake of his head. "Your enthusiasm, endless energy and determination makes me feel like I was with my trainer again, and I like how nice, cheerful and polite you are. It's really hard to feel lonely or lost with you around."

Nica held a forepaw on her chest. “But I represent what you dislike. You can say you don’t want to evolve for different reasons, but it all started because the first Raichu you met left you with a traumatic experience. Deeply in your mind you despise your evolution and my very presence must be an eyesore to you.”

Pikachu took a step back. “What… no! Why would you think that?”

“Because I felt your jealousy from the very beginning. It grew stronger whenever I showed my abilities at full or near full strength. I could also sense bits of anger whenever you looked at me.”

“W-what? I didn’t…” He patted his forepaws together, his ears drooped. “I’m not angry at you… am I?”

“Part of you is. I know you can’t help it, it’s just a side-effect of your bad memories. I don’t blame you for it,” Nica said as she placed a forepaw on Pikachu’s shoulder. “I wanted to put that part of you at ease, so I started avoiding you and letting you win.”

“Oh…” Pikachu said before rubbing the side of his forelimb nervously.

“Ya were jealous of her?” Applejack asked, looking at the smaller pokemon. “Bad experiences?”

Nica glanced at the farm mare and explained, “The first Raichu he met put him in the hospital in a critical condition. Another strong Raichu nearly killed him by going too harsh on him in a battle.”

“Oh…” Applejack and Rainbow Dash said in unison as they bit their bottom lip.

“Yea… that would leave a scar,” Dash muttered as she rubbed the back of her neck.

“Scar or not, ya two seemed happy together. Yer too nice to be an eyesore,” Applejack pointed out.

Pikachu nodded. “Exactly.” He smiled cheerfully, stood on the tip of his left rear foot and patted her on the shoulder. “You’ll never be an eyesore to me.”

“But… but what if you’ll hate me…”

“Hate, why?” Pikachu asked.

“I fear… I’m just afraid that if you learned more about me, you’ll start seeing me as a rival and grow more jealous?” She pointed at Pikachu while looking at him with a suspicious stare. “Part of you can’t stand the idea of a Raichu surpassing you in a fight, and competing is a main part of our nature.” She looked to the side. “I’m scared… I don’t want you to view me as a rival to overcome.”

Pikachu stared back in silence before stomping. “Do you really think so little of me?”

“What!? I would never,” Nica said in panic as she took a step back.

“I earned the respect of many pokemon in a battle, and I started respecting them in turn.” His eyes narrowed as he placed his forepaws on his hips. “Just because I let my pride get the best of me when challenged by arrogant Raichu doesn’t mean I’m a prisoner of my competitiveness. Trust me, I tried to keep that part of me in check when I was around you, because I truly believed you’re different than them and don’t deserve that.”

“The kiddo’s got a point,” Dash said while giving Pikachu a proud smile. “It’s true that competing with others can bring out the worst of us, but at the same time it can bring out the best of us. Just because someone is your rival, doesn’t mean you need to dislike them.”

“Exactly,” Pikachu said with a wide smile. He raised his forepaw and said firmly, “One battle, I need only one chance in a battle and I’ll prove it.”

Nica gulped. While she wanted to trust her hero, believing that he wouldn’t hate her in the end, was a pokemon battle really the correct path to salvage their friendship?

“We won’t be fighting to defend our pride or to win, but just to earn each other’s respect and have fun.” He raised his head. “I’ll prove that I can keep my competitiveness in check.” He took a deep breath and held his forepaws in a pleading gesture. “Will you give me a chance? Please!”

“Go for it, Nica. He’s really trying,” Dash said. Nica could sense curiosity and excitement coming from her as she hovered in place, above the two pokemon’s heads. The Pegasus was no doubt looking forward to watching their fight.

“Give him a chance. Don’t let yer fears get the best of ya,” Applejack said.

“Eeyup.” Big Mac nodded.

“Pikachu’s skills, flawed, room for improvement. Nica, master, battle, can teach,” Lucario added with crossed arms.

Nica looked between her friends and then into those pleading eyes of Pikachu. Every vibe in her body told her it was going to end poorly, but how could she refuse to give her hero a chance to prove her wrong. “A-alright… but on three conditions.”

“Name them!” Pikachu shouted with a few cheerful leaps.

“First, no jealousy and anger. The moment I sense that they have overpowered your enjoyment, I’ll stop battling,” Nica said with a firm tone.

“You have nothing to fear,” Pikachu reassured.

“Second, we’ll fight with respect. It’ll be a friendly match after all.”

Pikachu nodded. “That goes without saying.”

Nica relaxed herself and took a deep breath. “Third, and the most important. I’ll fight you only if you’ll allow Twilight’s magic to even the odds.”

“Even the odds, what do you mean?” Pikachu asked.

Nica rubbed her forepaw nervously as she looked to the side. “To be honest, most of my life I fought against stronger opponents, always being put at a disadvantage. I just can’t have it any other way. Even if you weren’t my hero, I still wouldn’t be able to not hold back against you knowing that being a Raichu gives me an unfair advantage. If I went against you with everything I had… I would feel like a bully. I don’t want to have an edge over you just because I evolved and you didn’t.”


Pikachu stared back with growing confusion, contemplating what he just learned. Were ponies really capable of making pokemon stronger with this mysterious force called magic? He knew of other pokemon who could power up allies, but these were short-lasting boosts and used in the middle of battle, not something one could do in advance. “And you think Twilight’s magic will fix that?” he asked, eagerly awaiting the answer.

“Of course!” Nica smiled cheerfully and grabbed Pikachu by his paw, pulling him towards Rainbow Dash. “Let’s go.” Pikachu pressed his rear paws firmly against the ground, resisting Nica’s pull. He slid his forepaw from the Raichu’s hold, who turned around and asked in confusion, “Is something wrong?”

“Well… I do have an issue with your final request.” Pikachu nodded, narrowing his eyes. “From what you’re saying, this magic will make our fight ‘fair’ by making me as strong as a Raichu, is that it?”

“As strong or even stronger.” Nica held forepaw on her chest, her smile from ear to ear. “From personal experience I can tell you that their magic gives a massive boost in raw power and provides a protective aura that reduces received damage. It will compensate for the difference in durability, strength and attack power between our stages of evolution.” She rubbed the top of her head, thinking. “It will probably make you faster as well… maybe. The battle for Canterlot didn’t last long, so I’m not sure.”

Rainbow Dash spoke up, “Magic boosting pokemon speed, now that’s something I would love to see.”

Pikachu crossed his arms and shook his head. “I think your last condition is unnecessary. I can fight just fine with my own strength.” Deep in his mind he recalled memories of a few times when he received a massive boost in power from large charges of electricity, giving him unearned victories.

“What, but why?”

“Because victory wouldn’t be worth much if I didn’t earn it with my own stren...” Pikachu paused, quickly reminding himself of why he wanted to fight Nica in the first place. Pikachu, focus. He lowered his paws, cleared his throat and said, “What I’m trying to say is, I want to prove that I won’t be jealous of your skills and power. I want to show you that I’ll enjoy our battle where we earn each other’s respect.” He approached the taller pokemon, not breaking eye contact even for a moment. “I can’t exactly prove it if I won’t fight you with my own strength, weaker body or not.”

“B-but…” Nica’s ears drooped as a sad pout formed on her face. “But I… I don’t want to fight you… not like that…”

“Why?”

“I already told you, I don’t want an unfair advantage. I don’t want our fight to be completely one-sided.”

Pikachu narrowed his eyes, not liking what he just heard in the least. “Completely one-sided?” He took a few steps forward, standing on the tips of his rear paws as he poked Nica’s white belly. “Are you saying that you would crush me that easily just because you’re evolved and I’m not?”

Nica smiled sheepishly as beads of sweat began to drip down her forehead. “N-no… I just... “ She tapped her forepaws nervously. “Let’s say I agree. Will it be fine if… I hold back against you?”

“Hold back?!” Pikachu responded, raising his voice.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes before giving ‘you shouldn’t have said that’ glance at Nica. There was no accusation in it, but rather hint of pity.

“Y-yes… You know… measure my skills and strength to y-yours, to make the fight enjoyable and equal for both sides.”

“Are you looking down on me?” Pikachu asked, though despite standing on the tips of his rear paws, he only reached up to the Raichu’s chin.

“No… I’d never- I’m not! I admire you.”

“You say that, but at the same time you refuse to fight at me with everything you’ve got. I thought we were supposed to show and earn each other’s respect, but it doesn’t feel like that’s what is happening right now.” Suddenly, a pair of wings slid in between him and Nica, pushing them both aside. They looked up at the pegasus in confusion.

“Calm down little buddy. Don’t get me wrong, I get where you’re coming from, but trust me, I got to know Nica enough to tell that she doesn’t look down on you, and she doesn't want to offend you.” Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her neck. “It’s… hard to explain. Just trust a fellow athlete on this one.”

Pikachu looked between the pegasus and the depressed expression on Nica’s face, unsure what to say. On one side, he felt offended and he wanted satisfaction. He wanted to prove Nica wrong, he wanted to show her that he’s worthy of being called a hero and could hold his ground without need for evolution. On another side, it was clear that this kind Raichu didn’t want to offend him, but why was it so hard for her to just do her best against him? That’s what a good battle was all about. It was obvious that Nica respected him as a hero, so why she couldn’t respect his fighting spirit?

“Do you… still refuse to accept magic boost from Twilight to even the odds?” Nica asked, her tone lacking any of the previous enthusiasm.

Pikachu shook his head, responding with a bitter tone, “Do you still refuse to fight me at your best?” Seeing as Nica just looked to the side, refusing to answer, he added, “I already swore that I would keep my jealousy at bay, that we would earn each other's respect, and I’ll do it even if I’ll lose. Just let me prove it.”

Nica sighed, still refusing to look him in the eyes.

Awkward silence lasted for several seconds, both parties looking clearly uncomfortable. There was still a lot he didn’t know about her, but getting along proved a bit harder than he thought. Come on, there has to be a fighting spirit in her, that little something that I admire in all pokemon I face in battle. One doesn't grow this strong without it, but how to reach it?

“Enough!”

Both Pikachu, Nica and Rainbow Dash looked at the approaching pokemon as Lucario walked alongside Applejack.

“Nica, Pikachu, similar, yet different,” Lucario started, giving both pokemon intense glare. “Strong humility, pacifist approach, strong pride, competitive approach, incontenibile personalities for battling. Clash between, low chance of bonding, massive chance of upsetting.”

Pikachu tilted his head to the side, trying and failing to comprehend what this pokemon was talking about. The ponies seemed just as lost with the exception of Big Mac who simply nodded to each spoken sentence.

Lucario crossed his arms as he looked in the direction of the town despite the sea of trees blocking the view. “Suggestion, battle against proxy. Lower combat capabilities, competitive personality, better match for Pikachu.”

Nica spoke up hesitantly, though her ears were still flat against her head, “Are you suggesting to let Pikachu fight against one of my teammates, one that’s more competitive?”

“Correct assumption. Battle more even, less one-sided.”

Pikachu smiled, running in between both pokemon. “I get it. You want me to fight against another member of Nica’s team to prove myself.” He glanced at the Raichu. “We’ll earn each other's respect and Nica will see that I can keep my jealousy and frustration at bay. That’s a perfect plan.”

“I… suppose,” Nica said as her ears straightened up. One could pick up hints of relief hidden in her voice.

Pikachu smiled widely before showing his determined face. He clenched his firsts as sparks of electricity escaped the dots on his cheeks. While he wished he could face this strong Raichu in battle, it was clear that he first needed to prove himself to her. Maybe she’ll agree to have a serious fight with me once she sees what I’m capable off. I’ll show her that she doesn’t need to hold anything back against me.

PreviousChapters Next