• Published 27th Jul 2018
  • 743 Views, 150 Comments

The Last One - computerneek



A pony becomes aware in the woods. With her senses and memories scrambled, can she build herself a new life in Equestria?

  • ...
1
 150
 743

Rescue

She knows exactly where she is.

Several times, this forest has tried to hurt her. From landslides, to wooden monsters, to… She’s still not sure what that spiny black plant was, but once she got out of its way, it ignored her just as much as she did it.

In any case, it’s been a few weeks since she ran into these woods. Each day, she’d pick a new, almost-random direction, and walk.

That direction was never towards the pony town, only away. Even so, she remembers the way back. She knows she’s almost three full weeks’ walk away, though she’s only been out for four.

She’s stopped to eat many times on her way through these woods. She’s found a few things that threw up red flags, but everything else was fine.

She hears a rumble from those wooden monsters, off to the side. They pose no threat to her.

She hears a scream. A strange scream, but it sounds pony.

She pauses, looking in that direction, ears pointed.

It sounds like the monsters are attacking a pony.

She cannot let that happen.

She runs.

A quick beat of her wings puts her in the trees as she reaches the clearing, the sounds of a fight already coming from it.

She doesn’t recognize the pony on the ground. Ponies; there’s two of them. One is dragging a leg bent in places hers doesn’t, the other has so much of the red stuff- Redheart called it ‘blood’, she remembers- coming out of her that it can’t be good. It’s practically gushing from the pony’s side… The side, she realizes, where a wing used to be. The wing on the other side is still attached, but mostly folded and mostly hidden from view by the rest of the pony’s body.

That seems to be what slowed the wooden monsters down, how the ponies are drawing away from them despite their evident pains. The missing wing is in the middle of the party of monsters, getting shredded apart by them. Saving it is a lost cause.

Three of the monsters split off as she arrives, advancing on the ponies.

She drops herself out of the tree, against the trunk, and kicks off against it halfway down. It gives way as she goes, but her wings- already spread for the purpose of steering- suffice to supplement the missing force and drive her to her desired velocity anyways.

The air seems to curve around her as she goes. Funny- it’s this strange effect again. The one that only occurred once before, that she can remember, back during that hoofball match. Just like it had then, though, it feels normal- like she did it all the time at some point.

It makes sense to her, as she thinks about it. With how easy it is to produce, she must have done it a lot, back before she seems to have forgotten about everything.

Then the second effect, the one that had followed the curving air in the hoofball match, comes. This had come as a surprise during the match- well, not much. Rainbow had done it, and she’d seen that, so she’d half-expected it. But she knows she’d never done that before.

She leaves the ring of golden light behind, making another stroke with her wings, fine-tuning her aim.

She passes straight through the lead monster, her hooves disintegrating it completely. She slams into the ground on the other side, kicking off of it with even more force than the tree; it won’t give as easily, and besides, she’s nearly reversing direction, not just starting out. It still takes her a wing beat or two to reach the same velocity. The air curves again.

She leaves a second ring of golden light behind, fine-tunes her aim once again, and passes through the second monster. She misses the third- as was her intent. She banks sharply upwards, before turning over and beating her wings as hard as they will go. This second redirection is the hardest move of the entire plan, but it’s nothing she can’t handle.

She’s made it maybe as high as the treetops before she made a full stop- and almost instantly done the whole curved air thing again, this time directly downwards. Another ring of light, more fine tuning.

She lands directly on top of the third monster, smashing it into the ground- and hits the same ground herself, on her hooves, facing the rest. She puts her wings in an aggressive position and snarls at the remaining monsters.

As she does this, she notices the bolts of light- no, she knows what this is called; it’s electricity. She notices the bolts of electricity arcing between the feathers on her wings and sizzling through the air between them as well. A rumble sounds from above her, as shadow falls across the clearing.

The ponies behind her both scream, but the important part is that the remaining monsters, after landing from their frightened jumps, panic and flee, after acceptable delays for their heads to resume proper operation.

She glances upwards- good, the rumble was not another monster, just those strange, fluffy bits of white in the sky… though these are pretty dark and, as the rumble sounds again, she spots a flicker of electricity- lightning, it’s called- deep inside it.

So she turns to the two ponies, trotting towards them. “Are you okay?” she asks.

Their screams have died away, but they haven’t moved, still staring at where she had landed. She supposes their heads have ceased proper functioning, and comes close enough to touch. Only to touch, though- and specifically, the one with the missing wing. The other one doesn’t look as badly hurt, despite the odd angles its wings are sporting- the ones hers simply can’t- and its leg; she doesn’t get the idea it’s as important as all the red.

The flow of the red has almost entirely stopped when the pony collapses on the ground. She hasn’t sensed all of the pony’s pains yet; perhaps there’s something more important she missed?

The other pony yelps in response to the fall, appearing as if her head just resumed normal functioning, and stumbles forwards on three legs. “Sis! Please don’t go!”

She looks up at the pony. A gentle greenish-blue- ‘aqua’- this one. “She’s not dead,” she states. She looks back at the one on the ground, with the missing wing. The one whose fur looks much like her own, though a little lighter in color. Aquamarine. “Close, but… not dead.” The pains start going away, and she shifts slightly to touch the aqua pony, looking back up at her. “Are you okay?”

Author's Note:

Yes, it's a shortie... and for that, I apologize.

But hey- it's better than the 133 words of this chapter I've had written for the last month or more!