• Published 27th Jul 2018
  • 743 Views, 150 Comments

The Last One - computerneek



A pony becomes aware in the woods. With her senses and memories scrambled, can she build herself a new life in Equestria?

  • ...
1
 150
 743

The End

She stumbles through the woods.

The trees are brown. At least, she thinks they’re trees. And she thinks they’re brown. She can’t see very well; everything’s more than a little blurry.

She collapses again. Her muscles are burning with unfamiliar pain. After that last fall, her face is as well- though it’s a different kind of unfamiliar pain.

She collapses in the effort to stand up again. Her muscles gave up their normal functioning with another spike of unfamiliar pain.

But they only did that in two of her six limbs.

She manages to distort two of her remaining limbs painfully by trying to use them to walk. She’s not sure exactly what they are, but they’re clearly not made for walking.

She grunts irritably, using her last two limbs to drag herself forwards. They’re the only ones whose muscles are still only aching with their unfamiliar pain. Aside from the two she just rendered useless, that is.

The same could not be said for the joints or bones, though. Those are burning with yet another unfamiliar pain.

One that’s not far off from the one on her nose, she thinks. Like it’s…

Hold on. She sees light ahead. Even the blurriest of eyes would see that- it’s not a matter of blur, but light levels. This must be… Yes. She passes the last pillar of textured brown-ness, dragging herself onto…

She’s not sure what it is, but one of those last two limbs just gave up with a strangely vague cracking noise, and the other’s not strong enough alone to keep her going, so she allows herself to crumple to the ground. Perhaps she’s reached the end of her journey.

The ground. She supposes it works. It’s a little greenish, but she can see the brown under it, especially now that she’s lying on it. On one of those not-made-for-walking limbs, with an extra spike of pain from the aforementioned limb… Whatever. It’s not like it’s going to matter in a minute… Probably. It’s only a… She doesn’t know what it is, either. As a matter of fact, she doesn’t even know what she looks like, only that she seems to be more fragile than she’s used to.

Huh. Than she’s used to. Funny, she doesn’t know what she’s used to.

Only that she’d been plodding through these woods, that strange pain in her muscles, for… for however long it had been. Before that, she gets nothing.

She moves her working limb up in front of her. Nothing unexpected; she gets a blurry image of… something. It’s brown, she thinks. Not like the probably-trees, though- more like the brownish part of the ground underneath her.

Or, she thinks it’s underneath her. It very well could be above her.

But regardless. Aside from being the different color of brown, with maybe something lighter mixed in, there isn’t much to see. It bends in a couple of places, but that’s about it.

She drops it on the ground again, letting out a breath. Or, she thinks it’s out, and she thinks it’s a breath. Given how the fuzzy green bits of the ground around her face flex away from her as she does so, she’s pretty sure she’s right.

Not that it matters. She’s found her end.

She wrinkles her brow. Why was she looking for an end, anyways? Isn’t life worth living?

The answer she comes up with is a firm no… but for the life of her, she can’t seem to figure out why.

She closes her… What’re they called again? She can’t remember. The muscles holding them open are tired…

Lookers would do, she decides, for her last seconds. She closed her lookers to wait for the inevitable end.

… if it would hurry up and come already.

Though, perhaps that odd, muffled thumping is that end on approach? It most certainly isn’t synchronized with the thumping in her chest; no, this stuff is irregular, like… Like whatever, she doesn’t really care. It’s also much faster.

It’s getting stronger. Still strangely muffled, like everything else she’s heard since… Well, waking up would be inaccurate; she had to have been fully mobile before. Unless she had been… What’s it called, when entities move around while not woken up yet? She doesn’t know.

So, since she… Became aware. For whatever reason, she doesn’t know. She doesn’t care.

She hears another sound. Again, oddly distorted.

But it sounded like a voice.

She lets out a groan, pressing her lookers tightly shut. She… doesn’t know what memories she’s trying to suppress. She only knows voices are bad. Why… escapes her completely.

But now that she’s thinking of it as a voice, she realizes she doesn’t understand a word being spoken. Which is a cold comfort, she knows… and again, the reasoning is a mystery to her.

She resolves to lie still. Hopefully, the owner of that voice won’t notice her, nor stick around long enough for… For what, she doesn’t know. She only knows it’s terrible.

The thumping intensifies for a second, growing stronger, before it draws to a complete halt. She hears breathing, though- and the voices haven’t gone away yet. Voices- she counts at least two, possibly a third. Her ears are too muffled, though, so she’s not sure.

On top of that, she thinks they’re voices. They could just be noises. She hopes that’s the case, but the chances of that are… Worthless. That is, knowing the specific chance would be worthless; either it is or it isn’t. Probably. She hopes it is- but she has no control over it, so there’s no point in trying to decide early.

She hopes.

Only, it would seem, her hopes are in vain. The voices have changed in tone and pattern. As a matter of fact, it is exactly this adjustment to the voice that she dreads with all her… With all her whatever. She doesn’t know why. Only that it leads to… Only that it leads to… Bad. She doesn’t know what it leads to, but she hopes she passes away before whatever it leads to happens.

Author's Note:

I have to ask, how am I doing with my latest OC?