• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 418 Views, 40 Comments

EoH Evolution Interlude: Integration - Bahamut0



Queen Chrysalis has been defeated. Her actions against Narico have caused a split in the hive. Many defecting to follow the young changeling who now stands as their first king. Can the young leader grant his people a home?

  • ...
5
 40
 418

Individuals

A few hours later, Narico had once again assembled all of his people. All of them were chattering amongst themselves, or literally buzzing about wondering what their new king wanted to talk to them about. "Glad all of you could make it. The reason I asked you all here is to address a burning question. Why do all of you look the same? I know each of you is different, and it's easy enough to tell guys from girls, but why do none of you have hair?"

"It's the way things have been since long before your reign King Narico." One of the elder changelings at the front answered. "The hive's identity is solely through its royal changeling. They are the ones who are allowed to be more expressive and unique."

Narico was utterly dumbstruck by this. "But why?! You're all individuals! Beings with your own thoughts, wills, and feelings! None of you are exactly the same, so why keep yourself in the exact same shape?! We might be insect-like, but that doesn't mean all of you have to remain as uniform drones! The reason we all work as people is because each of us has something different. And that's what makes all of us the same! What good is being your own person if you're not even allowed to express who you are?"

The entire crowd was shocked at Narico's speech. "Do any of you have a favorite color? An eye color that you really like? Or a hairstyle that you really think fits you? If so, embrace that. Change so that you reflect that. Let everyone know that you're not just another drone." And at Narico's urging, the sea of black turned into an ocean of different colors. Some changelings had remained hairless while others were now sporting heads of hair. No two changelings were alike in their new skin colors. And if they were, they just changed their eye color or hairstyle. Yes, none of them looked identical. But they were still the same people at their core. One unified group out of differing individuals.

Narico smiled at the sight. "Looks like nobody has to worry about telling each of them apart anymore."