• Published 28th Jun 2018
  • 1,489 Views, 66 Comments

A Case of Mystery and Love - cheerful9



When the ponies are tasked to find a missing draconequus, they team up with Discord. During their adventure, Fluttershy feels something that she has never felt before with Discord. The feeling of love. Will it be enough to solve this case?

  • ...
6
 66
 1,489

Ch.1-A Wedding Day

Ch.1-A Wedding Day

It begins one sunny day at Canterlot as ponies were bustling around doing stuff. During that time, Babs Seed, Applejack and Apple Bloom’s cousin from Manehattan, had already arrived. The reason why she was here was because she was going to help her cousins and friends get ready for an important wedding for their friend, Fluttershy.

As she got out of the train, Babs Seed looks around for her cousins and friends until a familiar voice caught her attention saying, “Babs Seed!”

Turning her head and smiling, Babs Seed saw her cousin, Apple Bloom who had spoken, and her friends the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, rush up to her with Applejack walking right behind them. As the CMC approached Babs Seed, the four fillies all got into a group hug and starting chatting until Applejack walked up to them saying, “All right now y’all. It’s great that Babs Seed is here, but we gotta head to the castle. We gotta get things ready for the wedding!”

With that, the ponies headed for the castle as they rushed to help get things ready.

Nearby, in an alleyway, all was quiet, except for the sounds of stray cats and insects buzzing around. In one corner, a figure poked his eyes around the bend. It was an unusual looking thin earth pony. He had a light green coat, wide yellow eyes with small pupils, wore a large brown coat with stitches and patches, a dark green tail, a white cap that covered his head and parts of his eyes. His cutie mark was a bag of stolen valuables. His mouth always seem closed. From a distance, somepony might mistake him for a large green lizard. This pony was simply known as The Thief, as his real name was unknown. Little was known about him except that he was a thief. He was a pony of few words but many thoughts. A huge swarm of flies always followed him wherever he went, and this constantly irritated him.

The Thief peered his suspicious yellow eyes around the corner. He thought, “Good morning, Equestria.” He turns his head around the corner to make sure no one was about as his eyes turned the other way. “I’ve had my coffee, I’ve read the paper, and now it’s time to get to work.

As another pony passed by, he slinked out of the alleyway and hid behind a large potted plant. Once he was sure that no one was looking, he grabbed a frying pan from a nearby window as he thought, “Mine.” He then hurried along and hid behind another large object and grabbed two bits from the backpacks of some young fillies. The Thief took his job very seriously. He would steal anything; especially anything gold.

Nearby, Granny Smith was walking through the street, singing one of her songs and carried a basket full of several items. The Thief was looking around until he spotted Granny Smith with her bundle and thought, “There’s something gold right now.” Once he made sure that no one was looking, he sneaked toward the old earth pony, who had no idea that the Thief was behind her. She kept on singing, “Ohhh dee doo dah day, ohh dee dum dah day.” As he approached, he thought, “What does that old prune have in that basket?” Once he got close enough, he reached in and thought, “Is it a gold statue? A golden bowling ball? No, it’s- Apples?!” Once he had his hooves on the basket, Granny Smith immediately sensed it and turned her head. She saw the Thief reaching into her basket.

“EEEEEEEEEKKKK!!” she screamed. “A HORNSWOGGELER!”

Before the Thief knew what happened, he found himself being lifted off the ground by the old pony and was slammed back into it. Within seconds, Granny Smith began beating up the Thief as she said a whole lot of gibberish.

“Why ya dirty no-good hornswoggling varmit! I oughta…!”

As she was saying this, she began jumping on the Thief’s back and swinging him around by his coat, causing all of the items he had stolen to go flying everywhere. The Thief mumbled and yelped in surprise. Nearby, a female Pegasus and her colt soon took notice. The young colt was delighted to see an old mare beat up a strange pony, while the mother wasn’t so sure about it. She soon covered her young colt’s eyes and they soon moved along.

Granny Smith began to twist the Thief’s left back leg in a very painful way as she said, “Sneak up on an ol’ mare, will ya? Why I oughta-!”

Pretty soon, she began to beat the Thief up in a very large dust cloud. Once she was done and the dust had cleared, she smiled, picked up her basket, and walked along as if the whole thing had never happened. “Ohhh skip to mah Lou, mah darlin’... ”

The Thief was revealed to be tied up in knots reminiscent to a pretzel by his own legs. He slowly got up with a dizzy look and thought, “Urgh...I think... she used to... work in my school cafeteria. Ow.” He soon got up and hopped along to find another place to steal from, only he hoped that it was relatively free of old mares.


It then shows the castle as Applejack and the CMC walked through the halls before they entered a room. Inside the rest of the Mane Six, Spike, and Starlight Glimmer were busy getting things ready. Rarity had already finished designing the dresses for Twilight, Starlight Glimmer, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, the CMC, and herself. She was now working on Fluttershy’s wedding dress while Twilight looked through a list of things and checking things off. They turned their heads and saw Applejack and the fillies before they happily greeted them while the Mane Six’s pets were nearby as they watched.

“It’s so great that you came!” Pinkie Pie said with a smile. “We need all the help we can get for this day!”

Rainbow Dash nodded with a smile. “Yeah. We need help styling Fluttershy’s mane while Rarity is working on her wedding dress. Think you can help with that?”

“Sure thing. That’s what my cutie mark and talent represent.” Babs Seed said as she showed her cutie mark with a smile. “I would be honored to help style Fluttershy’s mane.”

As Babs Seed styled her mane, Fluttershy said, “I’m glad that you volunteered to be one of the flower girls at my wedding.”

“I wouldn’t miss this big day without my cousins and friends.”

The mares and fillies noticed that Spike was looking antsy for some reason. He was looking through a window as if he was anticipating something.

“Something on your mind, Spike?” Twilight asked.

Spike pulled his head back and looked back at them with a concerned look before he said, “Sorry guys. It’s just that I’m worried about the new statue outside.”

Rainbow Dash tilted an eyebrow. “You mean the alicorn statue that’s in the castle garden with the emerald gem on the crown?”

“Yep. That one.”

Starlight Glimmer shook her head with confusion. “I don’t see what you’re so worried about.”

Twilight nodded and said, “There’s nothing to worry about. Everything’s going to be fine.”

Spike twiddles his claws in concern as he said, “I don’t know why, but I have the strangest feeling that somepony will try to steal the emerald.”

As she continued to design the dress, Rarity assured him with a smile. “Now don’t you worry, Spikey-Wikey. You’re probably nervous about being the ring bearer.”

“But what if-?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head and said, “For crying out loud, Spike! That statue is taller than the one at the Grand Galloping Gala! No pony could get up there!”

Pinkie Pie popped up out of nowhere and said, “Except maybe a pegasus, a unicorn or an alicorn!”

Twilight turned to Spike and said, “The point is that you’re overreacting, and I’m pretty sure that somepony will notice if it gets stolen and report anything suspicious right away.”

Spike sighed and said, “I guess you’re right. Although I’m still worried that the emerald on the statue might get stolen.”

Twilight just gives a sigh of frustration.


While they were busy getting things ready and getting Spike to calm down, out in the palace garden, the Thief was lurking about in the shadows. He was looking for more things to steal, but the guards patrolling the castle made it more difficult.

Now then.” He thought. “What should I pilfer next?

Just then, he noticed the same statue with the emerald nearby. Never in his life has he ever seen an emerald the size of a basketball. As he looked at it, his eyes immediately reflected the image of the emerald and he thought, “Hellooooooooo BETTY!” As he blinked, a cash register chime was heard and his eyes went back to normal.

He looked around and, with a smirk, slowly backed away into the shadows.

I have a plan that’s so cunning, you could tape it to a gopher and call it a squirrel.


Back in the room, Rarity was done with Fluttershy’s wedding dress. Once Fluttershy had put it on, her friends were in awe as they looked at her. Her dress was white as winter snow and was decorated with pink roses. Her veil also had roses, as did her necklace.

“You look beautiful, Fluttershy!” said Sweetie Belle with a smile.

Fluttershy blushed and said, “Thank you.”

“I must say, this is one of my best designs yet, if I do say so myself.” Rarity beamed with pride.

All the ponies commented that it was the best wedding dress they had ever seen in their life. Spike, however, was still glancing back at the statue, as if something was getting closer and closer to it.

“...I must say, Rarity, you've really outdone yourself. Don't you agree, Spike?” Starlight Glimmer said, waiting for a reply. Spike just kept looking at the statue until Applejack got his attention.

“Spike? Y’all ‘right there, sugarcube?”

Spike jumped in surprise with a yelp and quickly responded. “Who, what? Oh, uh yeah. I’m okay! What were we talking about?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow and said, “Spike, will ya please take yer eyes off that there darn statue fer a minute and help us get ready?”

“Sorry guys. I can’t help it! I really think that some pony will just try to steal that emerald!”

Scootaloo put a hoof on Spike’s shoulder and smiled. “Relax, Spike. No pony’s gonna try to steal the emerald.”

No one noticed Angel Bunny looking out the window as Spike said,”Are you sure?”

“Sure I’m sure!” replied Scootaloo, puffing up her chest.


Meanwhile, right outside, the Thief had returned and was carrying a long wooden pole. Angel was watching from up above with curiosity and immediately knew who that pony was. His owner, Fluttershy, and her friends had encountered him many times before. Angel Bunny could only presume that he was after the emerald on top of the statue. He silently sat down and watched.

The Thief held up the pole in both hooves and thought to himself, “Alright sport fans, we switch you now to the Equestria Games champion pole-vaulting event.” He looked upwards at the statue. “Marv, it’s an excellent day. The field’s not too wet.

The Thief then lifted his pole upwards and thought, “There’s a light wind blowing from the east. Our champion is ready for the challenge.

He then began jogging towards the statue and got his pole ready. “And if he doesn’t get his smock caughtin the pole, he could really go for the gold.

The Thief began to run faster and faster towards the statue to launch himself upwards as he thought, “Here we go!

Unfortunately, he ran too fast and passed the statue. Instead, he ran into the wall and the pole slammed into his belly. After he ran into it, he grunted loudly and held his stomach while hopping around. “He blew it.” he thought in a strained voice.


Angel watched the whole thing and laughed hysterically when the Thief collided into the wall. His squeaky laugh caught the ponies attention while they were getting things ready.

“My, Angel Bunny certainly is in a good mood today.” Fluttershy said without turning her head.

“Why wouldn’t he be?” Pinkie Pie said while smiling. “After all, his owner and best caretaker is getting married!”

“That reminds me.” Babs Seed said, “Who are you getting married to, Fluttershy?”

“I’ll tell ya! She marrying-!”

Pinkie Pie didn’t have a chance to finish because Twilight covered her mouth and said, “Uh, I think I should tell her.”

Angel continued looking out the window until Winona walked by. She looked at Angel as if saying, “What are you looking at?

Angel pointed downward and Winona looked down and saw the Thief.


Back outside, the Thief was getting ready to pole-vault again. He was a little shaky after the last mistake he made and thought, “Oh, I tell you, he’s something else.

He raised his pole and and began to run while he thought, “The fact that he’s hurting, every bone in his body broken, look at him move, look at him move. Oh yeah.

Soon, he managed to pole-vault himself up. “There he goes! He’s up! He’s up!

As he got closer to the statue, he thought, “Oh, look at that form, Marv. He’s reaching, stretching.” He reached out his hooves to get a hold of the statue and thought, “His long, bony, but beautiful hooves are grasping for the brick.

But as he got closer, he started to fall backwards and thought “Oh, no” as Angel and Winona watched. As he started to fall down, he thought, “Rats.” He then fell, making a large crash.


Winona barked excitedly while Angel Bunny rolled on the floor with his squeaky laughter.

“Winona!” Applejack said. “Quit yer yappin’! We’re telling Babs Seed somethin’ important here!”

But Winona just continued barking and Applejack just sighed. “I just don’t know what’s gotten into her.”

Twilight had already told Babs Seed who Fluttershy was getting married to as Babs Seed looked completely shocked with a surprised look on her face.

Finally, breaking out of her stance, Babs Seed turned to Fluttershy and said, “You’re getting married to Discord?!”

Fluttershy meekly nodded her head and said, “Yes.”

Not believing what she had just heard, Babs Seed answered, “You mean THE Discord, who is the Master of Chaos and Disharmony?! The one who tried to take over Equestria twice?! That Discord?!”

Fluttershy nodded her head again. “Yes. That is correct.”

“But why?” Babs Seed said in disbelief. “Why would you marry him?”

Apple Bloom placed a hoof on Babs Seed’s shoulder and said, “It’s a long story, cuz’.”

“Perhaps it would make you feel better if we told you the whole story.” Starlight Glimmer reassured Babs Seed.

“But what about the wedding?” Babs Seed said with concern.

“We have plenty of time before the wedding.” Twilight said.

“Yay!” Pinkie Pie said, jumping up and down with joy. “Storytime!”

Spike slowly turned and was about to look at the statue again until Twilight saw him.

“Spike! Will you please stop looking at that statue for just one minute?!”

“But I’m serious you guys!” Spike said. “Someone could-!”

“Oh, Spikey-Wikey.” Rarity said, pinching his cheek with her hoof. “You and your crazy imaginations.”

“But, but, but-!”

“Spike, ask yourself this:” Rarity said while the rest of the pets were looking outside and no one noticed.


It switches back outside where the Thief is, Rarity’s voice is heard in the background saying, “What freak of nature could ever get up to the top of that statue?”

As the Thief pole-vaulted himself again, he thought, “Well, Marv, his father, a firepony 20 years on the force, instilled him the attitude of ‘Never say die.’

As he got closer to that statue, the poled wobbled a bit and he had to hold onto it to keep his balance.

Whoa. Although frequently say, ‘Help!’

He started to twirl down the pole.


All of the Mane Six’s pets watched as he continued twirling down the pole saying, “EEYAAAAAAHHH-OOOFFF!” He then promptly landed with a loud crash and the pole also fell on him.

Surprisingly, nopony seemed to notice this, except for the Mane Six’s pets. They continued watching with amazement.

Tank turned to Angel as if saying, “Do you think we should let them know?

Angel Bunny shook his head. “No. There’s no need to do anything.

Owlowiscious turned his head to Angel as if he was saying, “Well, what do we do then?

As they thought this, the Thief once again pole-vaulted to the statue and tried to reach it with one hoof. Angel looked at the Thief and to his fellow animals as if he was saying, “There’s only one thing we can do.

And what would that be?” Opalescence looked while sitting on the pillow she was on with a raised eyebrow.

The Thief fell over once again with a loud crash. Angel Bunny hopped away and came back with a small chair and sat in it as if replying, “Just sit back and watch the show.

Gummy smiled as if saying, “I got the popcorn.

The ponies, who had taken no notice of the animals, were getting ready to tell the story. As Fluttershy was finding somewhere to sit, she could have sworn that she heard something like a crash somewhere but shrugged it off.

As they all sat down eagerly, Spike began to turn his head back towards the statue, but Rainbow Dash made him turn his head back around.

Twilight smiled at her friends as she said, “It all started a few months back in Ponyville….”

Author's Note:

This is my first time doing my very own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic story, non-fanmake. This story will have references from several movies. I don’t own any of the characters from the show, only the ocs that will appear.

Just to let viewers know, this chapter has several references from the movie ‘The Thief and the Cobbler’ in case you notice and I made a pony version of The Thief.

Until then, see ya next time!