• Published 28th Jun 2018
  • 1,490 Views, 66 Comments

A Case of Mystery and Love - cheerful9



When the ponies are tasked to find a missing draconequus, they team up with Discord. During their adventure, Fluttershy feels something that she has never felt before with Discord. The feeling of love. Will it be enough to solve this case?

  • ...
6
 66
 1,490

Ch.4-The Mysterious Stallion

Ch.4-The Mysterious Stallion

Later on, the ponies and Spike were walking through the streets of Manehattan, doing their assignment Officer Gruff had given them earlier.

“Boy, that Officer Gruff is quite the grouchy pony.” Spike said.

“And I can't believe it was somepony's birthday and I didn't even know,” pouted Pinkie Pie.

Fluttershy was relieved that Pinkie Pie hadn't upset the surly pony officer any further. Twilight was also relieved that Pinkie Pie didn't make the situation any worse or otherwise they might have all ended up in prison.

Pinkie Pie, however, continued to complain. “How can that pony not care if I'm a party pony! I’ve heard that police ponies from Manehattan are tough, but this pony takes the cake! And not the good kind either!”

Rainbow Dash replied while rolling her eyes. “Aren’t we supposed to be doing something?”

“Sorry.” Pinkie Pie said.

“All right, girls,” Twilight said. “Let's get to work.”

Twilight then looked at all the ponies and draconequuses bustling about in Manehattan before sighing. “It's going to be a long day, guys.”

Soon, they began asking ponies and draconequuses in Manehattan about what they knew, regarding the missing draconequuses. Unfortunately, no one seemed to know very much.

One draconequus seemed to know a lot about one of the missing draconequuses. However, the information she gave wasn't very helpful.


One hour later, they decided to take a break.

“Well,” asked Applejack. “How much information do we have so far?”

Spike showed Twilight and Starlight Glimmer his notepad. The only information they had was only a few lines of notes.

Starlight Glimmer shook her head. “Not much, I'm afraid.”

Just then, they heard Pinkie Pie yell. “I got! I got it”

“What do ya have, Pinkie?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Is it useful information?” Twilight asked.

“Even better! My letter from Cheese Sandwich!” Pinkie waved a letter in her hoof and danced in joy.

Her friends rolled their eyes. They were hoping that it was something important about the missing draconequuses.

“Pinkie Pie.” Rarity said, trying to explain to the earth pony, without getting frustrated. “Don't you remember what we are supposed to be doing?”

“Of course I do! We're suppose to find information about the missing draconequuses. Only thing is that we haven't had any luck yet so far,” Pinkie Pie said with a cheerful smile.

“Who’s Cheese Sandwich?” Starlight Glimmer asked. “I’ve never met him before.”

“He’s a party pony like me! Once, he came to Ponyville and we both competed to see who could plan the best party for Rainbow Dash! In the end, we became close friends! We like to write to each other now and then.”

“Sounds like he’s sompony you really like.” Starlight Glimmer said.

Pinkie Pie smiled and said, “Yeah! I really really really really really really really really-”

“We get it,” Applejack said, rolling her eyes. “You really like him.”

“-Really like him.” Pinkie Pie finished very quickly.

“Speaking of special someponies, Starlight, back at Canterlot you asked about how Sunburst was doing in the Crystal Empire.” Scootaloo said with a smirk.

“Well, why wouldn’t I? We’re very close friends.” Starlight Glimmer said while looking at the three fillies.

“Yet, but you seemed anxious to hear.” Sweetie Belle said, agreeing with Scootaloo

Starlight Glimmer felt her cheeks blush red and replied, “Like I said… we’re close friends.”

“Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Since we’re talking about special certain someponies, Applejack has a crush on Caramel!” Pinkie said.

“Pinkie!” Applejack said, unable to hide her blush.

“Oh, sorry. Was that suppose to be a secret?”

“Well, it’s kinda true.” Applejack smiled admittedly. “That stallion certainly know how ta work around the farm and don’t mind getting his hooves dirty. Not only that, we both usually hang out at Appleloosa with with my cousin, Braeburn.”

Apple Bloom turned to Rainbow Dash. “What about yer special somepony, Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow Dash looked nervous. “W-what are you talking about? I don’t have a crush on anypony!”

“Not even Soarin?” Applejack said with a smirk.

Rainbow Dash began to blush. “N-no! We’re just good flying buddies! That’s all!”

“Wow!” Pinkie Pie said. “You must really be good friends, since you have so many secret posters of him in your room!”

“PINKIE!” Rainbow Dash blushed angrily before the other ponies giggled.

“Oops.” Pinkie Pie smiled nervously. “Was that suppose to be a secret as well?”

“But I thought you have a crush on Flashhoof,” Apple Bloom asked.

Rainbow Dash turned to Apple Bloom after calming down (a little bit). “Flashhoof is absolutely awesome! Soarin, however, has caught my eye.”

“What about you, Rarity? Who’s your special somepony?” Sweetie Belle asked her older sister.

Rarity smiled and sighed. “Oh, my dear little sister, I think the answer is pretty obvious. It’s Flashhoof!”

“Gee, what a surprise,” Spike grumbled to himself.

“He said I looked absolutely beautiful! It’s a sign I tell you! A sign!”

Just then, they saw Mayor Flashhoof and Shimmer Beauty across the street, followed by a bunch of photographers and reporters. He winked at the ponies once he saw them. Shimmering Beauty waved a hoof at Fluttershy, who waved back as well.

Rarity squeaked in joy. “He winked at me! Did you see that?! He winked at me!” Rainbow Dash squealed in joy as well. “He’s so awesome!”

Fluttershy wanted to talk with Shimmering Beauty more, but it looked like the unicorn was preoccupied, so maybe another time.

Rarity sighed and fell back before Spike caught her. “Oh, Spikey-Wikey, Flashhoof is going to be my one true love for sure!”

Spike just glared at the handsome pegasus. He felt like puking…on the pegasus.

“What about your special somepony, Fluttershy?” Scootaloo asked.

The shy pegasus rubbed her forelegs nervously. She wasn’t used to talking about this kind of subject. “Well….I don’t have a special somepony.” She admitted sadly.

The other ponies gasped! Fluttershy didn’t have a special somepony!

You don’t have a special somepony?!” Rainbow Dash said in pure shock and disbelief.

“Um...no.” The yellow pegasus said nervously.

A surprised Pinkie Pie popped right up next to Fluttershy. “But you’ve gotta have a special somepony!” Pinkie Pie grabbed the pegasus around the neck. “Somepony to hug, to snuggle with, to ruffle your hair, and to smooch!”

Fluttershy stammered a little bit. “Uh, Pinkie Pie, my personal space.”

Pinkie Pie wasn’t listening. She hugged Fluttershy even harder and began to sob in a comical way. “How could you not have a special somepony?!”

“Can’t...breathe…” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Pinkie Pie! Let go of her! She needs air!” Twilight said as she pried Pinkie Pie off of Fluttershy with her magic. Once Pinkie Pie was off of Fluttershy, the pegasus gasped for air until she felt better.

Rarity walked up to her friend. “What Pinkie Pie is trying to say is that having a special somepony is what you should have. Why, you ought to have a special somepony who is almost handsome and charming as Flashhoof.”

After she spoke, an unpleasant thought came to her mind. “You don’t have a crush on him, do you?! PLEASE TELL ME YOU DON’T!!”

“No, of course not.” Fluttershy said.

Rarity sighed in relief. “Oh, thank goodness.”

Darn.” Spike thought angrily to himself, hoping that some other pony would be Flashhoof’s marefriend and Rarity wouldn’t keep fawning over him.

“But, if I did have one, I would want him to be gentle, patient, and self spoken just like me. I would also enjoy it if he likes animals as much as I do.”

“Well, there have been a lot of stallions in Ponyville who have been trying to ask you out on a date for quite some time.” Twilight noted.

Pinkie Pie said, “Yeah! Stallions like Banana Top, Bookbug, and Sparkle Tooth! You’re so pretty that stallions can’t stop admiring you!”

“If only Flashhoof could only pay attention to her instead of some other pony,” Spike muttered to himself.

“Well, the thing is, I want my special somepony to love me for who I am, not just for my looks.” Fluttershy sadly replied.

Starlight Glimmer place a hoof on her friend to reassure her and gave a gentle smile. “Don’t worry, Fluttershy. I’m sure that you’ll find the right special somepony someday.

Fluttershy smiled as she gave the unicorn a hug. Soon the others joined in and got into a group hug.

After they broke out of the group hug, Rainbow Dash spoke. “How about we end this conversation and continue our assignment?”

Hearing what Rainbow Dash said, they went back to their assignment.


A while later, they were busy asking ponies and draconequuses. Fluttershy had already approached one pony. She got out her quill and was ready to ask the pony some questions.

Just then, a gust of wind blew the quill out of her hoof and was blown away.

“Oh!” She said in surprise. The pegasus immediately ran after it. The quill kept blowing away and Fluttershy kept pursuing it. As it blew out of her reach, she stumbled through ponies and draconequuses walking nearby

“Oh, excuse me. Sorry! Excuse me.” She said nervously as a bear draconequuses growled at her angrily.


A while later, Fluttershy had finally given up on the chase. The quill had flown out of her reach and she decided that it wasn’t worth the effort. “Oh, Fluttershy. You’re such a butterhoof.” She muttered sadly. As she turned around, she made a horrible discover and gasped.

She was not in a familiar part of Manehattan. The chase after her quill had gotten her separated from her friends. She was now in a series of alleyways that darted to and fro, up and down, and back and forth.

She decided that maybe it was time to go find her friends. As she kept walking, she curse herself for being so careless about her surroundings.

One hour later, Fluttershy found herself right back where she had started. By now, she was lost and bewildered. She had a good feeling that her friends were worried sick. She saw a stray cat nearby with a fishbone in its mouth. It hissed at her before running off. She flinched and wished she was back with her friends at the hotel where it was safe.

Then, all of a sudden, she bumped into somepony and gasped. The pony she had bumped into was a pegasus stallion. He looked at her with a friendly smile. “Well, well, well.” He said. “Looks like a little mouse lost its way.”

Fluttershy nervously backed away. “Er…sorry. I-I’m not lost.”

She then noticed that another pegasus stallion was nearby, only he had a nice looking moustache.

The first stallion said, “This little mouse looks kinda thirsty. We should take her for a cup of coffee.”

Fluttershy wasn’t a fan of coffee, but she had a bad feeling that these two ponies didn’t really have her best interests in mind. Fluttershy wished she had Inspector Fantastic’s lucky umbrella to defend herself.

“Um-uh…” she stammered nervously. “N-n-no thanks, I kinda have someplace to be and my friends are probably worried about me.”

“Well then,” the second pony said. “Come with us. We’ll help you find your way back. You know, you are pretty cute for a mouse.”

Fluttershy didn’t know whether to take that as a compliment or feel insulted. The first stallion spoke up. “How old are you? You live around here?”

“Um, uh, no,” she replied nervously. Were these stallions flirting with her? “Um, I would really appreciate it if you would leave me alone.”

“You see?” The first stallion said to his friend. “Your moustache scares all the girls.”

“So?” His friend replied. “She’s even cuter when she’s scared.”

Just then, an unfamiliar voice spoke out. “There you are, my dear.”

Fluttershy turned around and saw another stallion right next to her. The stallion was a unicorn with a gray coat and a jet black mane. His cutie mark was a tornado. What really made him different was his horn and eyes. His horn was blue while his eyes were yellow and his pupils were red. He placed a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder as he continued. “I have been looking everywhere for you. Sorry I’m late.”

“Hey, buddy. We’re busy here.” The first stallion said with a frown.

“Yeah. Buzz off.” The second one said.

The unicorn stallion just smiled. Fluttershy could almost sense a hint of mischievousness appear in those yellow eyes. “Oh, really?” he said calmly. “It looked to me that the two of you were just leaving.”

His horn glowed and the two stallions began to move against their own will. As Fluttershy watched, the two stallions began marching away shouting in surprise and shock until they were completely out of sight.

“Don’t hold it against them.” Fluttershy turned to the stallion as he smiled calmly. “They’re actually not all that bad once you get to know them.”

“W-what did you do to them?” Fluttershy asked with a worried look.

“Oh, just a small spell. It’ll keep them marching for the next half hour or so. They’ll be alright.”

Fluttershy protested. “That wasn’t very nice! You forced them to do that against their will.”

The stallion raised an eyebrow before he spoke. “It looks to me that they were going to force you to do something against your will. It’s called a hustle, sweetheart.”

Fluttershy didn’t know what to say. This pony had turned out of nowhere and saved her life.

“So,” The stallion asked as he and Fluttershy walked together. “What’s a beautiful mare like you doing out here? This is a dodgy place.”

“I noticed.” Fluttershy said nervously. “I lost my quill when it got blown away, and now I’m lost from my friends.”

“I see. Someone beautiful like you deserves better.”

Fluttershy replied nervously, “What are you talking about? Are you just saying that just to get me to like you? Most of the stallions in Ponyville always say that to me because they think that I will like them.”

“Of course not. I’m saying this because you’re a natural beauty and I have an admiration for beautiful things.”

Fluttershy blushed when he said that. This pony not only saved her from those two flirting stallions, but he also likes her for who she is instead of her looks.

For some reason, she felt her heart beat faster than before. She first assumed that it was because of what happened earlier, but she then realized that it was for a different reason. Could it be that this stallion could be her special somepony?

“Well, all I want to say is thank you for helping me back there.” She said, looking at the stallion with a gentle smile as they walked out of the alleyway.

“It’s the least I could do for for a sweet thing like you. Just remember to never let them see that they get to you. And one more thing.”

His horn began to glow and a flower pen appeared. The flower pen tip was a red rose. He then used his magic to levitate the pen to Fluttershy and she held it in her hooves.

“Here. To replace the quill you lost.” He said with a smile.

Fluttershy looked at him and the pen. “It's a wonderful pen. Thank you so much.” She said, looking at the gift he had given her.

The unicorn stallion smiled. “I’m glad you like it,” he said as he began to leave. “Take care, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy kept looking at the pen with awe. “Thank you, I-” She stopped. “Hey wait. How did you know my-”

When Fluttershy looked up, the mysterious stallion had disappeared. “-name?” She started to wonder if she imagined the whole thing. But the flower pen she was holding in her hooves said otherwise.

Who was that stallion?

“Fluttershy!” Fluttershy turned around and saw her friends rushing up to her.

Pinkie Pie was the first to hug her.As she did, she squeezed Fluttershy very tightly. “We found you!” she sobbed. “I was so afraid we would never see you again and never in such a long, long long, time!”

“Can’t…breathe,” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Pinkie Pie, let go of Fluttershy! She can't breathe with you hugging her like that!” Apple Bloom said, her friends nodding in agreement.

Rainbow Dash pried Pinkie Pie off of Fluttershy so she could have some air.

“Where have you been?” Twilight asked as soon Fluttershy could breathe again.

“We’ve been lookin’ all over for ya!” Applejack said with strain in her voice. “Where the hay have you been?”

“I-I’m sorry. My quill got blown away and I went after it.”

Twilight just sighed. “Just don’t go running off like that again.”

Rarity then noticed the flower pen Fluttershy was holding. “My goodness!” she exclaimed. “What a lovely pen! Wherever did you get that?”

Fluttershy told them what had happened. She also told them about her encounter with the two stallions and how they tried to take her somewhere.

“Those creeps,” Rainbow Dash said with anger. “If I was there, I would have given them a pounding they’d never forget!”

Fluttershy then told them about the mysterious stallion who rescued and gave her the pen.

“...And he was so nice. He even gave me this-”

Rainbow Dash interrupted her. “Fluttershy, what were you thinking?!”

“Huh?” Fluttershy said with surprise and confusion.

“You mean to tell us that you let some stranger escort you without your permission?!”

Rarity said in disbelief. “Are you out of your mind? He could have been a dangerous criminal!”

“You know better than that, Sugarcube! He could have hurt you! Or worse!” Applejack said with concern.

“Didn’t your parents teach you not to talk to strangers?” Rainbow Dash said.

“But…but he was so nice…” Fluttershy said, feeling guilty.

“It doesn’t matter if he was nice,” Twilight said seriously. “That’s still no excuse to go walking off with him and letting him-”

“By the way,” Pinkie Pie said, interrupting Twilight by popping up in front of her. “What did this pony look like? Was he fat? Was he super skinny? Did he have a beard that went all the way down to his hooves like those ponies who work at the Nature Conservation Committee?”

“Actually,” Fluttershy said. “He was kind of handsome looking with that gray coat, blue horn, and yellow eyes. For some reason, my heart beat faster when I walked with him.”

Her friends were about to scold her when Starlight Glimmer stopped them and said, “Wait. What kind of horn did he have?”

“A blue horn.” Fluttershy said.

The other ponies were silent for a moment until Twilight spoke up. “That’s impossible.”

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow at her friend. “Okay, Fluttershy. I think you’re making this whole thing up!”

“What?” Fluttershy said in surprise. “But I’m not making it up! I wouldn’t lie about this!”

Applejack put a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “Okay, Fluttershy, I think you’ve had quite a shock from being all alone. Why don’t we head on back to the hotel and get some rest?”

Fluttershy tried to protest. “But, but, but-”

Fluttershy couldn’t understand why her friends couldn’t believe her.

The stallion was real, wasn't he?


They return to the hotel, tired from a long day of work. All they wanted to do now was rest. So far, their day had been mostly unsuccessful.

Spike was tired from carrying the new Flashhoof books Rarity had bought. They served only to fuel his rage that pompous stallion and he desperately wanted to get some sleep.

Fluttershy was quiet the whole time. She was sad that her friends didn't believe her. She sat down and turned on the radio, hoping to hear some music that might cheer her up. She pressed a button and a song began to play.

Singer: Everybody hurts…

She sadly pressed the button.

Singer: Accidentally in love…

She pressed again.

Singer: Love you, love you…

And she pressed again.

Singer: By myself…

For a moment, Fluttershy listened to it before she pressed it again. Was the whole world against her?

Singer: You can't do nothing right, babe…

She pressed again.

Singer: I'm a loser…

She immediately pressed the button again. This time, she found a station that played soft piano music.

As it played, Fluttershy sadly sighed. Her friends were busy doing other things, like relaxing, reading, or talking. Pinkie Pie wanted to jump and down on the water bed, but Twilight did not want her to. Whoever ran the hotel would not be happy to hear that some guests just had ruined a good water bed.

Rainbow Dash, however, was bored out of her mind and disappointed with how the day had gone for her and her friends. “Well, this has turned out to be a pretty crummy day. I was hoping that we would get a very important assignment, like investigating a crime scene.” She said pouting angrily.

Scootaloo turned to Rainbow Dash. “Tell me about it. I'm starting to think that Officer Gruff just sent us on a wild goose chase.”

“He could have at least told us who to ask!” Rainbow Dash said, waving her legs about angrily.

Sweetie Belle then noticed that Fluttershy had been quiet during this time. “Fluttershy?” She asked. “ Are you okay?”

Fluttershy turned her head and looked at the little filly. “I'm sorry, Sweetie Belle. I'm just thinking about that stallion I just met today. For some reason, he looks very familiar, almost as if I have met him before. But I can't quite remember where.”

Rarity approached the pegasus. “Fluttershy, this pony you're talking about does sound dreamy, but it sounds quite impossible.”

Twilight nodded in agreement. “Rarity’s right, Fluttershy. There has never been a pony like that in the history of Equestria.”

Fluttershy looked at her friends in disbelief. “But he was real, Twilight. The way he spoke to me and treated me was real too.”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “Yeah right.” Rainbow Dash hadn’t intended her comment to sound mean, but she was having a really disappointing day.

“He gave me this flower pen, you guys! Isn’t that proof enough?”

Twilight spoke up. “You probably found that on the ground and forgot about it.”

“But I-”

Applejack sighed and shook her head. “Maybe you should get some rest, Fluttershy. You’ll feel better in the morning.”

Fluttershy looked down in sadness. She wished that her friends would believe that she was telling the truth.

Starlight Glimmer was quiet the whole time as she looked at Fluttershy. She knew her friend was telling the truth. The reason she could tell was because of the way Fluttershy had described the stallion she had met and realized that she was falling in love. She was the only one who believed Fluttershy’s story.

Starlight Glimmer wanted to tell Fluttershy that she believed her, but she was worried what the others would say. She was worried that they would say that she’s only taking pity on Fluttershy to make her feel better.

Soon, everypony in the room was silent. The music from the radio kept playing. Finally, a voice shouted out from across the other room through the wall. The earth pony stallion blurted out, “Hey, pegasus, turn down that depressing music! I’m trying to sleep here!”

“Oh! Sorry!” Fluttershy said. She quickly turned the radio off. As she did, the pegasus stallion spoke up. “Leave the pegasus alone! Didn’t you hear their conversation? She met somepony and her friends don’t believe that he exists!”

“Aw, shut up!”

“No, you shut up!”

“You shut up!”

“No, you shut up!”

As they argued, Spike and the ponies looked at each other before Twilight rolled her eyes and muttered, “College students.”

Rainbow Dash covered her head with a pillow, trying to drown out the pony’s senseless bickering.

“You shut up!”

“No, you shut up!”

“I said shut up!”

“How about you shut up!”

“No, you shut up!”

Finally, Rainbow Dash couldn’t take it anymore. She angrily tossed the pillow aside and yelled: “SHUT UP!!!!

Finally, it was silent. The bickering stopped and the ponies could relax. Twilight turned to her friends. “Don’t worry, guys.” she said. “Tomorrow's another day.”

“Yeah, but it might be worse!” the pegasus from the other room called out.

Author's Note:

Poor Fluttershy. She met a handsome, mysterious pony and her friends (except for Starlight Glimmer) don’t believe her.

In the next chapter, after catching a wanted criminal, the ponies finally get a case to work on and have no idea what they’re in for. And who was that mysterious stallion? Find out in the next chapter.

The part where Fluttershy was being flirted by those stallions was from the movie ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’. The part where she was rescued by that stallion was from the movie also.

The part at the hotel was from the movie ‘Zootopia’.

If you think you know who the mysterious stallion is, post and let me know!

Until then, read and review!

Bye for now!