• Published 20th Jun 2018
  • 3,710 Views, 81 Comments

shimmering hope. - dragenfire68



when Anon-a-miss struck, they released a great power into the world, but at a great cost, too great.

  • ...
10
 81
 3,710

perdition

Author's Note:

heres the chapter layouts from now on.

(future)

(past)

(innistrad)

((The future.))


As zombie's battered the walls of CHS, a small group of survivors looked down on the horde, the horde going at the vine-covered doors with reckless abandon, or it would be if a higher power wasn't controlling them.

"there seems to be more every day, oh I wish that things could go back to the way things were before," Fluttershy said.

the other survivors nodded, leaving Fluttershy on watch, not that it mattered, the vines have never been breached by the ravenous dead, but they knew that outside of here, there were twisted aberrations, and acts against nature that would make a god cry, but that was of little consequence, they never traveled inwards, not since the old portal was drained of its residual magic, a long time ago.

The survivors made their way into the stronghold, and down into the twisting halls of leaf and vine, towards the center, the nervous center of the green fortress, and a war room for those old enough to fight.

"Flutters is on watch, Gloriosa, and the dead are no closer to getting in then they were a week ago." Rainbow Dash said, looking at the women clad in leaves and vines, her eyes a brilliant solid green.

"very good, but be wary, the dead are restless, and I hear from the trees, and the grass that the dead are stirring even more than usual, their mistress senses something here, her more vile machinations are coming inward, they sense power where there was none." She intoned as she cocked her head to the side listening.

"What kind of vile machinations?" Pinkie asked, sneaking up everyone but Gloriosa

"Rot beasts and twisted aberrations."

"will they send us back to fort everfree?"

"I do not know, but I sense a coming power, someone, that can change the tide, for better or worst."

"who has that kind of power, you and whoever keeps remaking the dead have magic, who has the kind that can change the tide?"

"that is unclear, but the plants tell me that the person was a friend to nature, but she disappeared a long time ago, the oldest tree says that when she left, this world's balance was thrown out of alignment, and a prophecy born of the trees was undermined."

The girls looked around confused, they honestly had no idea who she was talking about, except one, she knew deep down who this mysterious person was, but she dared not to hope.

A couple of miles outside Canterlot

The air shimmered and folded, until a tall teenager was standing in an empty square, her long light coat swished gently as she took stock of the surrounding buildings, making sure her hat was adjusted so that it blocked her eyes, ruined shells she noted in her mind, as she held up a gloved hand, with a small ethereal fire inside her fingers, looking at the desiccated buildings, she said nothing as she explored, learning long ago that silence was her ally and her worst enemy.

She made it to the top of a ruined clothing store, its mannequins now destroyed and the cloths no better then desiccated bandages, which when she found ones that were still in good repair and didn't stink of mildew, she set about making them into usable bandages, before climbing higher, she soon she was at the top and found what she was looking for, in the distance, seen only by her, was a hue of green light.

however, unbeknownst to her, the seemingly dead vines crept closer, trying to get a feel of her magic, and if she was friend or foe, but before they could taste her magic, she was gone, they only found the stale, colorless magic of transport runes, but it was still something.

When word got back to Gloriosa, she called in the immediate emergency meeting in the auditorium, and for one of the first times since she created the fortress, she removed herself from the green, and made her way to the meeting hall, on foot, surprising everyone who answered the call.

"GLORIOSA, your not with the core." Celestia cried when she saw her enter.

"Indeed not, because I have important news for everyone."

"what is it?"

"a new player has entered our little game of chess."

"does this new player have a name?"

Gloriosa closed her eyes and called out to the plants, vines, trees, even plants small as window sill ornaments, she called out to them and asked if they knew this new traveler, all but a small group answered her, when she asked why they ignored her question they simply answered that their caretaker has returned, so she asked them what they knew, they obliged and gave a name, Sunset Shimmer.

"I have a name, but its one I haven't heard before, does anyone know someone called Sunset Shimmer?"

This shocked many into silence, they were before whispering who they thought it was, most thought that Twilight had changed her mind and came back to help them, but when this name was dropped, they were shell-shocked that she had made a reappearance, forgetting that they were the instrument in her disappearance.

"She disappeared over a little over a year ago, we had no idea where she went."

"well, boon or bane, she has returned, my plants say she is skilled with whatever magic she wields, I just got word she has been sighted by the tree's at Sweet Apple Acres, they don't know what she is wielding, but they say that the bone's touched by her magic, they stay dead, none of the others will touch the remains that she creates."

"Well, what are we waiting for, let's go recruit her before whatever created those zombies bends her to its will!!!" Rainbow dash said courageously, getting nods and sounds of agreement from the crowd.

"Darling, that's all well and good but," Rarity said to rainbow before turning to the crowd, "A year is a long time for feelings to stew, and if I'm sure, then I know Sunset will very unlikely come to our aid, in fact, I doubt that she is even here for us at all, given what happened last year."

"rares, that was a long time ago, we got over it, and I'm sure Sunset has too, now that she came back from where ever she had gone." Applejack said, putting a hand on her shoulder, but even as she said it, deep down she didn't believe it.