• Published 31st Oct 2011
  • 5,208 Views, 92 Comments

The Magick of Friendship: Spark of Something New - Harmony Spirit

  • ...
6
 92
 5,208

Ch07: Down and Dirty Diamonds

Autumn was in full swing, and the air was deeply chilled, as the trees turned their leaves into the colours, telling of their own preparation of the nearing long rest. Each day, more and more, it was becoming clear that winter was not far off.

In Ponyville, they were near the time to gather the great harvest, but first would come the season of their celebration of the lives that once shared the world. It was not a time for sadness, but for joy. Those who once trotted with the ponies still living, were never truly gone, so long as they were remembered by the ones who remained behind.

The citizens of Ponyville, all had their ways to go about this, and some took to quiet mourning, others readied great celebrations.

Rarity took this time, to be the one to celebrate. She knew the season was ripe with those looking for ways to get their minds at ease, and seeking way to enjoy themselves. So each year, she would gather the friends she had, and some of the best customers of Dressing Diamonds, and put on a great party. She designed dresses, and suits, and all kinds of things, just for those who attended. It was a costly effort, both in materials, and in body. Those closest, would not be charged, but the others who either requested, or were just special customers, would pay, but not very much. It was more an admissions fee than for the clothing.

She was nearly done with work, but had some ponies to go. The regulars, and other paying clients, came first, and were long finished, all the was left, was her friends. She thrived under dead lines so near, even if she seemed stressed, and over worked, she secretly enjoyed taking on the impossible. Swanheart had long come to rely on this, and admired her for it. In his prime, he was never as at ease with such as she was now.

Rarity had a few names on her friend list, Twilight, of course, she was her "sister" after all. Pinkie Pie, despite how odd she was, she was a great help in this party effort. Fluttershy, she did not know her all that well, but she seemed important to Twilight, much as Rainbow Dash. They had their clashes over the years, but the pony had proven t be a loyal friend in times Rarity needed her. She found it odd, at times, that she did get along with the head strong Pegasus, even before Twilight came. She found it a bit odd there too, that she was close to her as well, but it might be due to their own common friend, Applejack. Rarity knew of her, and seen her at the diner, but she never really talked much to her. they both had younger sisters, and they were both friends. Applejack was very into her own work, something the Unicorn respected, but she also did not seem to have much an eye for fashion. Another pony on her list, was the always reliable, if not, very odd, Ditzy Doo. She was the one in charge of all the mail in Ponyville, and nothing came into the town, that was shipped or mailed, that did not go through her in the end. Rarity could not help but like the mare, for she just had a charm too her, that was hard to ignore.

She had some designs ready for each of them, at least on paper, but only a couple she begun. She decided to go out, and deliver the invitations, the VIP passes for her friends.

The Magick of Friendship Chapter 7
Down and Dirty Diamonds

Rarity made her way through town, wrapped up in a stylish, but equally efficient design. She was nearly done with her VIP passes, and she made her way toward the farm, where the friend of both Rainbow and Twilight lived. She tried the diner, but her little sister said she was taking the day to ready the nearing harvests.

She did not mind, trotting around was nothing to her. "Let the Pegasus fly, and lesser Unicorns teleport" She would say. "I enjoy a good stroll"

She found the front gates of Sweet Apple Arches, an old fashioned wooden construct. It was not really for anything but show. She started down the path, it was a bit muddy, from the rains yesterday. More than once, she stuck her hoof into what seemed solid, but truly only a lying puddle. She quickly retracted the hoof, and shook it. Muttering "how gross"

She made her way down the path, that seemed so much longer then it was, and looked around. She saw the barn, the vest rows of trees, the fields, and various other areas, but she had no farm sense, nor an idea where Applejack could be.

For her fortune, the mare in question appeared from the side of the barn. She was in very dirty and worn cloths, and looked none too offended by her condition. She spotted the other, and waved and greeted. "Howdy, eh, Rarity" She recalled her name a bit harder than the other would have liked. Applejack had less reasons to think of the other pony, since she provided a service, she did not really need.

"Afternoon Applejack, I was looking for you" She started to move forward, and stepped into something, she prayed was just more mud. She gave a shiver, thinking about designing some kind of hoof wear, that covered and protected them from the elements and various little things like that, but was in high style. There were boots for the cold, but not very pretty.

"Me? What ever for? Apple Bloom causin’ trouble again, looking for her Cutie Mark?"

"Oh no no, just wish to pass on this invitation to my party for the Day of Remembrance. Since you are such a close friend of our Twilight, as well as sister to my own sister's friend. I wanted to extend this to you" She held out the invitation.

Applejack took it, and looked at it. "That's mighty neighborly of y'all, but not sure I could make it. I've so much to do around here 'n all"

"Oh, but every pony is going to be out celebrating, I'm sure you could take a day off. I've planned to make some party styles for each of those at my little gathering" She was trying to convince her, she was not sure if it was because of Twilight, or because no pony had ever turned it down before. "Twilight is going to be there, and so will Rainbow Dash. Apple Bloom can come, Sweetie would enjoy her company. It'll be lots of fun"

The other looked a bit troubled, and sighed. "Sorry sugar cube, but I just ain't much for this kind of thing. I just want to get my crops all done up before it's too late. If y'all want to invite my Brother, and sister, that is just fine"

Rarity looked a bit wounded. "But, you couldn't possible want to miss out. No pony has ever turned down a Rarity affair"

"Please don't push this, I just don't want to go..." She said more flatly. "Just ain't my thing"

Rarity got a bit more defensive. "But why not? Is it me?"

Applejack turned away, just a bit to not be facing her directly. "Not so much you, just I ain't into all that fashion mess. I'm a work horse, not a playful, or fashion pony"

"Are you saying what I do isn't work? What I do is a lot of work!" She snapped.

"I ain't try'n to say it ain't, just not for me, ok?" She spoke a little harsher now, matching the other pony's irritation. She did not want to fight, but she would not back down.

Rarity got into a huff. "I should have figured that. Forget it" She turned away.

"Told y'all not to push me, I tried to be civil, but y'all won't let well enough alone"

"Civil? Ha, what do you know of it, wallowing in the mud" Just had completely lost her cool, and now was going in for full attack.

Applejack was not one to take it though. "At least I put in an honest day's work, if'n the need came, for all ponies to do what they do best, at least mine would actually be needed. We'd all still be naked, if not for you snobby unicorns, and your shame"

"We just know what it takes, to live smart in this world"

The other just glared at her, and tossed the invitation to the ground, right into a pile of mud. "Y'all can stick that, where it don't shine. Maybe Twi's friend, but y'all ain't one of mine" She turned, and stormed off.

Rarity watched her, and glared at her, before turning away. She did not bother picking up the paper, she just wanted to put as much distance between her and the other as she could.

***

A couple days passed by, and Twilight was over at Dressing Diamonds, going over her design, and helping Rarity clean up a bit. She went for a trash barrel, and started to fill it with the various balls of paper Rarity left laying around her work space. Designs she found unfavorable. Twilight could not help but look at a few before tossing them out. She paused, looking at one, that seemed rather nice, and it was titled "Applejack's Dress"

She looked at Rarity, who had been a bit off her normal mood the last couple days. She must have tossed it by mistake. It looked perfect. So she undid the bunched sheet, and laid it on the table, then returning to her cleaning.

After a moment, she heard Rarity. "How did this get back here?!" Her voice followed by the crumpling of paper, and then the soft sound of it bouncing on the floor.

"What is wrong?" Twilight picked it up, looking at it. It was the design again, she picked it up. "This design looks so nice"

Rarity ripped it from her hooves, and squeezed it, like it was a life to be crushed away. "It's very existence, is what is wrong" She looked so angry, that Twilight was taken aback by it. she soften a bit, and tried to smile to assure her, that she was not the reason. "Dear, don't worry about this... just a problem I can avoid"

"But, that is for Applejack, is she not coming?"

Rarity flashed her anger again, but stopped herself from lashing out. "No, she isn't" She said flatly.

Twilight looked at her funny, and then looked away. "Don't worry about it hon, some ponies just don't mix. Just cause they have a common factor, like friends, or the like, doesn't mean they can change the fact, they just don't mix"

She turned away, and started working on something again. She was still had the design, it was in her hoof, but she placed it on the table, where she was working.

Later that day, Twilight crept over, and took the ball, and stuck it into her pocket. Rarity should not miss it, since she tried to get rid of it, nearly three times.

The purple unicorn felt she needed to fix this, she was not sure what happened, but she wanted to get it resolved.

She made her way out of the shop, and went toward the Diner, hoping to find out something from the other pony. Inside, she found Apple Bloom. From her, learned the fact that her older sister was not there today, but at the farm working on the crops. So after a brief bit of direction gathering, she was again off.

She made her way to the path for the farm, and stood outside it's gates. They were closed up, which seemed odd to Twilight, for they did not look like they would do much to keep anything in or out.

She opened them, and made her way down the path. It was pretty solid, she noticed a couple holes, but paid no mind. Outside the barn, she stopped, and looked around, taking in the vast fields, and groves. It was a massive farm, and surely a great undertaking to keep in order.

She noticed something looking half buried, next to her. She picked it up, and rubbed off some dried mud. "Rarity's invitation?" She knew something did happen between them, this was the confirmation.

She studied the paper, as if it could speak of the events here, when Applejack came into sight. She had some tools, and looked worn.

"Howdy" The Earth pony called, seeing her there.

"Hello AJ" She was not sure how to play this. Go right into the trouble, or work into it.

"What brings y'all here? Look'n to work?" She laughed, and Twilight joined in, if halfhearted.

"No, I was just wondering what became of you. Seems you have been out of the Diner a lot these last weeks"

She was now right in front of her, Twilight hid the invitation. "Well y'all know, it's been busy readying for the coming snow. Need all the stores we can get, so not to go hungry" She wiped her brow, despite the cold coming on each day, she easily worked herself into a heat. "I know y'all didn't worry much about that in Canterlot, some of my family works for the farms out that way, and they tell me, they have year round growth. Plants that ain't suppose to go on through out the year, do. Must be something"

"Yeah, it is pretty... neat. But here has all the seasons, and guess traditions too. It's not such a unique thing, to celebrate the season, and the Day of Remembrance, but here it seems like a huge deal. Every pony has their own things going on" Twilight watched her friend, to see if she saw through her tactics. She seemed unaware of where she was going. "Even Rarity has a special she puts on, for a very select few" The name registered, and Applejack's ears twitched a bit. She was hiding her true reaction. "I was just wondering if she had come by yet, she was really excite about those she has on her list, and really put her love into her designs. Should see mine, looks beautiful"

"Well..." She seemed a bit uneasy, and in thought. "Y'all know I ain't much for fancy parties, and all that" She was honest to a fault, so instead of confirming or breaking her code by lying, she avoided it. "Not sure how well I'd fit into it"

"It's not really about the styles, Rarity is just doing that for her clients, and for friends, out of love and appreciation. The party is more to get ponies into a better mood, when thinking of the coming day for the dead, and to celebrate the season"

Applejack looked away, she seemed heavy in thought, but Twilight tried not to bring mind to that. "I don't know..." Was all the Earth mare could say.

"Well, if you change your mind, just talk to Rarity. I'm sure she will be happy to hear if you want to come"

"Yeah..." She said weakly.

"Oh!" Twilight said, pulling out the piece of paper. It was still partly covered in mud, and folded up. Twilight did it last minute, so not to give away she already knew. "Found this on the ground, did not have a chance to see what it was, but since it's here at your farm, betting it is yours, or some pony here" She hooved over the invitation, and without a brief far well, turned and trotted away.

Applejack looked at it, and unfolded it. She read it out to herself. "Dear Applejack and Ponyville Family, you have been invited to the Dressing Diamonds celebration of the Day of Remembrance. To honor the hard workers of Ponyville who keep us going every year. You are both; friend of Twilight, one of my own dear friends, and one of the honoured workers. So I give this VIP invitation to you and your local family, to join us in celebration. Dress wear will be provided, and with luck, you all will love what I've come up with for you. So please let me know your answer, so I can get to work on your designs"

When she finished, she lowered the paper, and sighed. She felt bad for what she said to her, even though Rarity had pressing her. She was the one who refused to even consider. She now saw why the other was trying so hard to get her to come.

***

Not much later, it was starting to get late in the town, many of the little shops were closing up. Applejack made her way down the path, toward one such shop. She stood outside the elaborate entrance of Dressing Diamonds, much too much for her simple tastes.

She slowly opened the door, and trotted inside. She looked around, and saw it was pretty quiet. She was hoping that they were not yet closed. Locking doors in Ponyville, was a rare thing, so not unheard of to have shops unlocked, even if no pony was inside.

Rarity came out from back, and was mid sentence, when she spotted Applejack. "Sorry dear, but were are clo-" She stared at her, and resisted her urge to yell.

Applejack, for the most part, looked timid. She clearly was not here for another fight, and was not going to allow herself to get into one, should the other be up for one.

"What do you want?" She said bitterly.

"To... apologize..." This did take the other aback, she did not expect it in the least. Especially since, there was no reason she knew of, to why the Earth pony would want too. She was just as guilty of being rude, and she knew she was first to strike.

When Rarity did not reply, Applejack went on. "I decided, to take a look at this here invite" She held it up, as proof. "I should have at least considered it, but I was just out right... an ass about it. Here y'all were trying to do something for me, and my family, and I just thought it was some dress up party" She looked down, ears back.

Rarity's temperature cooled, and she started to consider her own faults that day. "I should have explained it, instead of just assume you'd jump at the opportunity. I know that you are not one for, glits, and glamor. You are a what Earth ponies are born to be, practical, and focused. Working hard, and living simple, happy lives. That was why I wanted you to come, because you work so hard, so the rest of us don't have to be in the fields. I shutter at the thought of being in the mud, when not in a spa, but you wouldn't think to waste time in a spa" She moved closer, and stood before the other. "I shouldn't have said what I said, I'm sorry"

Applejack looked up to her, and gave a weak smile. "I'm sorry too, just cause you don't break your back, reaping crops, and all that, doesn't mean, you don't put in an honest day's work" She looked at the invitation. "Is this still good?" She held it up again.

Rarity took it, carefully, in just a couple fingers. "Well... it's a bit dirty, but I think it is. Though, not as dirty, if I had stuck it, where the sun don't shine" She snickered, causing the other to laugh too.

After a hug, the two went back to Apple Ciders, and spent some time, getting to know one another better. Twilight showed up, not long after, and acted like she had no idea of the whole thing, but when Rarity saw the crumpled page that had the design she made, she knew what she had done.

Both Applejack, and Rarity learned that it is good to have a friend, who cared enough for them each, to try to fix their problems. They also found, that two so different, can get along after all.