• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 8,047 Views, 280 Comments

Final Fantasy VII: Darkness in Equestria - Axel IV



Cloud Strife arrived in Equestria....

  • ...
11
 280
 8,047

Meteor Shower (Prologue)

The chill night time summer breeze of Equestria nipped lightly at the ears of a purple unicorn, her violet eyes watching the dark skies up above. A wonderful smell of freshly baked cookies was drifting about, and she could already feel her mouth water. The pony was seated on a soft picnic blanket, set perfectly on top of a hill to overlook a wonderful view of a prairie. The sky seemed bigger there, and there were no clouds to be seen. Just perfect for a meteor shower.

Twilight Sparkle couldn't believe their luck. The next meteor shower was scheduled to be one hundred years from now. She had received the news from her teacher and idol, Princess Celestia, and just about exploded with excitement. Her friends were just the same, and there was almost a celebration when she broke the news to the rest of Ponyville. It was a pleasant surprise, but they only had a few days to prepare.

The other ponies from Ponyville were all setting up on the hills and flat ground around them, talking amongst themselves. The Cake family was happy that their children were able to see a meteor shower and not have to wait one hundred years for the next one. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had built a big life-guard looking tower and had made a telescope of their own. They somehow thought that they would be able to catch a meteor and receive meteor shower cutie marks. How that would work didn't make much sense.

"This is so awesome!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, bounding up and down as her grin reached her ears, "This is incredible! Absolutely fantastic! The best! The cream of the crop! The spectacular, best thing EVEEEER!"

"Hey, calm down there sugarcube." Applejack smiled, laying down on the blanket as a purple dragon with green scales handed her a plateful of cookies, "Being hyper like that isn't going to make the meteor shower come faster you know." The stetson wearing pony crossed her hooves, peering up at the night sky. It didn't seem like it, but she was just as crazy as Pinkie Pie was about it. She just knew how to keep herself calm for the most part.

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash yelled out, flying up to the hill to meet up with her friends, "No matter how great it is, it can't be as great as me!" Twilight rolled her eyes at her friend's remark but was happy to see her nonetheless. If there was somebody she would let have an ego the size of Ponyville, it would be Rainbow Dash. The pegasus landed next to the dragon and took the largest cookie she could find from the batch.

"If you eat all of Spikey Wikey's cookies by the time I get up there I swear!" Rarity barked as she trotted up the hill, "I'm sure he made them with all the love he could muster...didn't you my little draggy waggy?" Spike beamed taking out a special plate behind his back with the best smelling cookies he ever made.

"O-Of course!" Spike smiled, a blush lighting up on his face, "And...These are especially for-

"Cut the cheesy crap, Spike! Those smell AWESOME! Gimme one!"

"W-What?! Rainbow! Quick being so fussy!"

"C'mon Spike! I'll race you for them!"

"No! Wait! Come Back! Those are for Rarity!"

As Spike begun his chase of the airborne Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy quietly appeared and took a cookie, munching on it with pure joy as each of the friends got together. It was moments like this that were genuinely amazing, and moments like this would never be forgotten.

"So Twilight..." Applejack asked, munching on the cookies still, "Didja ever hear about how this meteor shower thing came about?"

"Celestia has no clue..." Twilight mumbled, looking through her telescope, "She began to notice a change in space somehow, and through some magical insight she learned that there would be a meteor shower."

"It just all sounds confusing to me..." Rarity yawned, laying down on the cleanest part of the picnic cloth, "At least we get to see something beautiful again."

"It's just egghead stuff." Rainbow Dash shrugged, tossing the empty plate to a distraught Spike, "Probably something only Twilight could understand."

"Hey guys!" Spike exclaimed, pointing a finger to the skies, "It's the meteor shower!" And seeming to be on cue, the meteors trailed down from the sky, seeming to come from the stars themselves. Each of them were in awe, their smiles wide. The seven friends (counting Spike) each silently agreed that this shower was better than the previous one they saw. The other ponies from Ponyville were gasping, oohing and ahhing.

"Wow..." Fluttershy said quietly, "Gorgeous..."

"But..." Spike blinked, "Don't you think that some of those meteors are...well...getting a little too close to the ground?"

"What are you talking about, Spike?" Twilight replied, "Meteors almost always burn up before they hit the ground. There probably won't be-

The air above the ponies suddenly began to grow warm, their bodies reflecting a powerful light. Before any of them could react, a red blazing meteor shot right past them, the force blowing away the plates and frizzing up the perfect hair that Rarity spent much of her day grooming. The blazing object from space smashed into the prairie, causing the ground to quake below them, the trees vibrating some of their leaves right off. The ponies yelled and screamed, and some of them began to run back to Ponyville. Luckily, the meteor was a good distance away and none of them had gotten hurt.

Before they could sigh in relief, another meteor shot right past them, completely knocking off and destroying the telescope in front of Twilight, singing her mane a little. The meteor was headed straight for the Everfree Forest. When it touched down, trees gave way around it and the ground quaked again, yet much weaker than the previous meteor.

The ponies (and one dragon) sat in silence, their jaws practically hitting the ground. The meteors were still flaming, and they were releasing black smoke into the atmosphere. The meteor shower was over.

"Um..Uh..Er...What?" Spike blinked, "Hey...um...about meteors burning up before hitting the ground?..." Twilight blew out a smile fire that had been flickering on the end of her mane.

"Uh..." Applejack stared at the massive crater that had just been created, not being able to find any words at the moment.

"My hair!" Rarity groaned, "It's ruined!"

"Um..." Rainbow stood up, shaking her head, "Should we...check it out?...."

"It could be dangerous..." Fluttershy said softly, "And...scary..."

"Alright, everypony..." Twilight gulped, "Let's...wait for the fire to go down..."


"....."

"...Cloud..."

"....."

"..Cloud...Get up...

"......"

"Cloud...Get up!...

"....."

"CLOUD!"

His eyelids broke open, his mouth gasping to take in breaths. The Pain. The Pain was excruciating. Every part of him ached...his body felt as if he was burning alive. His joints were exhausted, and whenever he moved them he would receive a sharp stabbing pain. His lungs were heavy, and felt as if they were filled with needles. His vision was bad...he couldn't make out anything. Only blurry bright lights and darkness. He could make out flames licking the air around him, their heat on his face.

He tried to get to his feet, but he face planted onto the dirt in front of him. His legs felt like cement. He didn't know where he was or what was happening. For all he knew, he could have been dead.

"Cloud...Get out of there!"

He felt his hands digging into dirt, and realized that it was climbing into a an ascent. Was he in a hole of some sort?

"Cloud...you need to get away!"

His left hand touched something hard and metallic. Patting it blindly, he felt something familiar. A hilt. A hilt of a large sword. His sword...right?

"Get Moving! Now!"

He couldn't leave without it. He gripped it tightly in his hand, grunting in pain as his knees protested. Soon, with the help of his outrageously large sword, he was in a standing position, but barely. His legs were week, and his arms felt like jelly. Could he really get out of there?

"GET OUT OF THERE!"

Cloud grit his teeth and smashed his fist into the earth, dragging himself out of whatever he was in. The heat was gone, and he felt the familiar sensation of grass on his fingers. His vision was still bad, and everything was smudged together and dark. Where was he? Where could he go?

"GO! RUN!"

With a growl of pain and frustration, Cloud took off into a sprint. Everything hurt. His back felt like it would shatter like glass. His hands were weak, and he was barely able to grip onto his sword. With each step, fiery pain traveled up to his waist. With every breathe, his throat burned.

"Cloud...just a little further..."

How much further? Where was he? What was going on? Why was he here? Cloud didn't know. Wherever he was, he was not home. He was far away, far away from what he called home. Far away from Tifa and the kids. Far away from his friends.

Was he alone?

He ran into something hard, and he fell onto his back, his sword stabbing into the ground. He struggled to stand up, his hands looking for the hilt. He roared, his vocal chords cracking. His sword came out and he sprinted off again, his sword loose in his hand.

"Just a little farther...Just a little more..."

He couldn't there was no way. His foot got caught in something and he fell on the hard earth, his body slamming into the dirt. The pain was too much. He didn't have anything left. He couldn't see anything and he could barely think. The darkness began to veil over his eyes.

Everything disappeared.

Final Fantasy VII: Darkness in Equestria