• Published 3rd Sep 2018
  • 410 Views, 2 Comments

Experiments: Shielded Soul - TRIBOT 4000



After a fatal accident, Solid Gold, a hoofball player, discovers he had so much he can still offer the world: protection.

  • ...
 2
 410

The Sixth Chapter

WARNING! THIS CHAPTER HAS TORTURE SCENES! PROBABLY FINE BUT I MIGHT AS WELL TELL YOU!

I...honestly couldn't tell you how long I've been in here. Possibly days. All I know is that when I woke up, the pony in the other room was either gone or ignoring me. I assume they took him again. Looking over by my cot and I saw a plate of food, if you could even call it that. I've eaten some pretty bad stuff back home but when I took a bite of that 'biscuit' I actually gagged. I didn't even know it was possible to ruin a biscuit.

While I'm ea...no... hacking on my objects-that-don't-deserve-to-be-called-food I see the white armored pony from before pass by me, carrying that white box behind him/her. After a few sounds, the pony passes by again alone. I hear labored breathing coming from the other room.

"Like I said." I hear him say through pants, "First time." I remain silent for a few moments. I've still got to make friends with this guy if I ever want to get out of here.

"So... you didn't tell me before." I began, "Your name?

"What's it to you?" he asked bitterly, "You don't know me. I could very well just lie to you."

I chuckled and sat down with my back to the wall once more, "That's true, but then I would just call you by the fake name even after you've given me your real name so... it wouldn't be very beneficial for you. Also, I might just call Guy Pony for the sake of it." He didn't respond for a good few minutes. I decided to wait and let him think. Eventually he did speak.

"Coal Dust. My name's Coal Dust." he says. He adds, "...and I'm not a pony."

I raised an eyebrow, "Then what...?" I didn't get a chance to finish the question.

"Experiment Number Two..." a voice said from outside the cell. I glanced over and saw Doctor Fleisch, "...is a thestral, or as you ponies call zem, bat ponies." I growled back in response, "Ooh. feisty are vee?" He glanced at the armored pony next to him, "I zink you know vhut happens to ponies who are feisty."

I just stared at him in response before I froze up. It wasn't the pain, but I couldn't move. A box like luminous glow began to form around me. When it completely enveloped me, I blinked and I found myself strapped to a table. Looking around I noticed it very similar to a surgeons operating table and room. I could hear hoofsteps behind me but it was hard to see as my head was strapped down as well.

"I am sorry for ze restraints. I have found that many patients vill… um... crack their heads open upon the table. I don't like zat. Dead patience are... less zen satisfactory." When he walked into my field of view he was wearing a white lab coat and two sets of black rubber gloves. His eyes were enlarged by a pair of goggles making him appear slightly froglike.

"What do you want from me?!" I practically screamed. He ignored me and reached for something next to the table. I heard the rattle of utensils before he came back pulling out a slaughtering iron. He brought down to my skin, despite my protests and struggles, and started burning away at my skin. I didn't scream this time but strained my body trying to break the holds. They held tight though, and it almost felt like they were getting tighter.

"My apologies." He said while searing up to my shoulder, "Anesthetics cause bad results."

So I took it for what felt like hours. I don't know how long it was but it felt like forever. After some time of Doctor Fleisch drawing on me, he finished and I was left alone for a while. I didn't even try to get out as I doubt movement would've been possible. This being because of the pain and the restraints.

Then I started moving, as in, the table under me started moving. I passed out of the room through a set of double doors. It lead into a hallway of some sort. What looked like Hospital lights passed over me as I went down. Eventually I ended up in another room that was much larger. Looking up (the only direction I could look in) I could see huge parts of machinery. They looked somewhat like magnetic claws. A voice rang over what sounded like a speaker

"Velcome, Mister Gold, to Ze Room! Please make yourself comfortable!" he laughed maniacally, "It is here zat you shall be made perfect!"

The machinery around me started moving. The claw like devices started reaching out of my point of view. When they came back they were holding gold plates, steaming with heat.

"Today, you shall become my greatest achievement!"

The arms started lowering down to me, the armor attached to them.

"You are to be my most successful experiment I have ever made!"

As they touched my skin I felt them melt into me. I could feel my body connect with the metal on almost a molecular scale. Something lowered over my face as I writhed, blocking my sight.

"You are to be... Ze Shield!"


When I awoke, I could feel my own breath being directed back at me. I opened my eyes and saw a light shining through a pair of slits. It was like looking through a pair of flat keyholes. A few seconds later, a rush of magic went through my body and my vision expanded. I could see normally again but it still felt like something was on my face.

When I tried to lift my hooves, it felt like I was tied down, but a little more strain and I was able to lift it in front of my face. It was in armor, or my accurately, I was in armor very similar to Royal Guard Armor but with different designs. With closer inspection I noticed that there were no openings in the armor. It was completely covered in both big and small plating's, allowing no openings. I lifted my head, which felt about as heavy as a rock, and looked around. From what I could see, it looked like I was in a large stadium lit up by several stadium lights that were spread across the area. Stadium light in a stadium, go figure.

I took another glance at the rest of my body to confirm that I was completely armored from head to toe. While I admired myself a sound came from above. I looked up and saw a metal platform lowering from the ceiling. When it came to my level it had a number of weapons displayed. It had everything from swords to hammers.

Take one

"Huh? Who's there?" I looked around. A voice came from everywhere... or now where it seemed. there wasn't anyone around me at the moment.

Please take one. I don't want to die again.

"I..." before I could ask what that meant, another sound erupted from the other side of the stadium. I saw a large door opening and revealing a minotaur. It's muscles bulged as it walked slowly into the stadium. There straps that strained against his chest. His fur was red with black warpaint design strewn across it. He didn't look friendly so I took a great sword from the assortment by me. It felt surprisingly light considering how heavy the armor was. Then again, maybe the armor had a spell. I cursed that I couldn't cast a spell reader at the moment.

Wait... my horn, it isn't covered. I can use magic. I tested it out and just as I predicted, there were a few spells on my suit ('few spells' is an understatement, there was a crap-ton of them there). I smiled at my success and looked at the minotaur who seemed to only get angrier as time went by.

"Hey!" I shouted, "You wanna talk this out?" He growled at me, "Guess not."

With that the minotaur launched himself towards me. He covered a surprising amount of distance in such a short time but I was ready. To my surprise he put his right hoof down and turned with a roundhouse kick, hitting me in the stomach. It...actually...didn't hurt that much. It felt like a small push really, but I wasn't going to take any chances. He punched at me with massive fist and I blocked it with the sword. He through another punch and I blocked it again, causing the sword to bend ever so slightly. We continued this way until he grew enraged. He jumped over me and brought a hoof to my head. It didn't hurt but the rattle dazed me.

I spun around a took a punch to the back. Though it felt like a shove, I still didn't want to take more hits. It's entirely possible that my endurance is temporary. I tried to turn around but felt my legs swept out from underneath me. I took hit after hit to my chest and head. I raised my hooves to block them but he kept pounding, harder and harder.

Eventually it simply became annoying. I pushed up against his strikes and readied my right forehoof. I mustered my strength and punched him as hard as I could in his chest. I felt the slightest bit of resistance.

When I opened my eyes, I was met with dark red fur. The minotaur was close enough for him to feel my breath on him. that wasn't what horrified me. What took me by surprise was that my hoof had disappeared inside of him.

I pulled and my hoof slid out of the newly formed hole in his body. Surprise was strewn over his face, but it slowly formed into a sullen smile as he looked at me and mouthed the words "thank you" before falling into a heap on the ground in his own blood. My hoof was covered in the same blood.

I won't say you did the right thing.

That voice again.

But one of you was going to die. It might as well have been him.

I growled back in response and said, "How can you say that?"

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'll...I'll just...I'll leave you alone.

The voice quieted after that, and another one took it's place over a speaker.

"Hahaha! Zat is what I izt talking about! Haha! Did you see zat Ancient? He vas incredible! Hahahaha! I have succeeded! I am the greatest mind since Starswirl the Bearded! Haha oh... Hmm...? What? Oh, oh yes. Ahem, go ahead and sedate him. We'll train again tomorrow with another."

After he said that I started feeling excessively tired just before passing out.


When I woke up, I was void of armor and magic, and in my cot. No sooner did I get up then I could hear Coal speaking.

"I take it you killed the bastard. Always hated him anyway."

I looked at the wall in anger. I wanted to yell at him for disrespecting the dead but I chose not to, "He said 'thank you'. Did he want to die?" I heard a full on guffaw from the other side. It sounded like gravel.

"Look pal, everyone here wants to leave. There isn't a soul in this gods forsaken place that doesn't want to die You probably brought him the greatest comfort possible."

"Does that include you?" I asked. He didn't respond. I heard the sound of him getting into his cot and he wouldn't talk to me again.


After a meal and more sleep, I was brought once more into the stadium and was given a selection of weapons. This time however, they were all the same design as my new armor and they were all Battle Axes. I refused to touch any of them.

Please... the voice in my head pleaded. Please just take one. You'll need it against this next fighter, I promise.

"Why pick one? I'm not fighting again."

What do you mean?! You can't not fight!

"Oh? And who's gonna stop me?" It didn't respond, "Exactly. I'm not killing other prisoners just to survive. It's wrong."

No! I...I don't want to die again.

I frowned, "What do you mean 'die again'? You've done this before?" I was met with a few moments of silence.

You're not the first to wear me.

Before I got a chance to ask anymore, the doors opened again. The platform began to raise and I grabbed the first weapon I could. It was a small battle axe. Not optimal but then again, I don't know what to expect. When the door opened on the other side, a light brown coated Pegasus male stepped out. His mane was nearly pitch black but was light enough to be a distinct grey. On his shoulder was... dear Celestia, he's got a phoenix! That fiery mare I had fought didn't hold a match to even a baby if the bird is untamed.

The door closed behind me and he looked me right in the eye and smiled. Three scars were visible over his eye. The other eye was black. When I payed closer attention I could see that the Phoenix had a similar eye. I didn't have much time to study it though before it came bolting towards me at breakneck speeds. I tried to move but the bird grazed my shoulder and this time, I felt it. Heat built up in my shoulder region.

I learned in a quick study some time ago in school that the average temperature of a phoenix's flames in there second or third life ranges between 900 and 1300 degrees Celsius. The average flame goes to about 450 degrees Celsius. This phoenix is at least in his fifth life, and they burn twice as hot. I'm surprised this armor didn't just disintegrate. It's tough, however, it's obvious I can't take too many close encounters.

The Phoenix took a quick turn and flew back towards me. I rolled and while I stood back up I noticed it wave his wing as he passed. I jumped up as I came out of my roll and felt some heat under me. When I landed, I barely had time to move again before it charged again. I banked backwards and took a hit to my back hoof mid-bank. I spun violently out of control but used the momentum to my advantage. During the spin I took the axe in my hoof and impaled it into the ground. The force brought my rear hooves into the air and I released the axe, flinging me into the air. In mid-air I saw the bird coming toward me. I did the first thing I could think of: I brought up a shield. He burst through it like a bubble and tried to hit me in the head. I ducked my head down and felt heat pass by my neck.

When I finally landed, I took notice of the dark energy emitted from the bird through his eye. It looked back at the Pegasus stallion and I saw a link.

I burst towards him as fast as I could go. My armor somehow increased the momentum and speed. The bird noticed and took off towards me. I did my best to maneuver him but parts of my armor were starting to become extremely unpleasant.

When I was finally within striking range, he took off into the air. As soon as he did, the Phoenix stopped attacking. It seems he can't control himself and the Phoenix at once. The Phoenix started flying around confused. I thought for a moment until an idea arose, I doubt it's going to work.

I started mustering up a spell while the Pegasus hovered above me. From what I could tell, he was trying to make his flying a minor challenge so he could control the Phoenix. While he did this, the Phoenix started throwing flames in random directions, nearly hitting me a few times. As my spell strengthened I stood on my rear hooves. I brought my fore hooves back and directed the spell into them. Then I brought them together as hard as I could.

The impact shook my bones, but the results? They were incredible. I created a sonic wave that rippled through the air and knocked both the Phoenix and the Pegasus back out of the air. The dirt on the ground around me had spread away leaving me in a small crater.

I recovered quickly though and rushed the Pegasus and pinned him down. I made sure to press very lightly on him so he wouldn't choke, but he seemed to have a look on his face that I couldn't quite understand. It looked like he was pleading, but not for his life. He mouthed the words 'kill me' through tears. Years of agony seemed to pour out of those unspoken words. I...I wanted to ignore them but...

You... don't have to. I understand how you feel. I know how it feels to hold another ponies life in your hooves. I myself have tried to spare my enemy... but you should know... the reason you can't move right now isn't because you're trying to make a decision.

At this I tried to move away, but it was like trying to move the planet itself. My hoof started to involuntarily crush the stallions throat. I wanted to hold back. I really did, but whatever was moving the armor wouldn't let me. I would have closed my eyes but they were locked with the thankful ones of the pegasus. When he went limp, the black in his eye oozed out like water and the Phoenix woke up, his eye too now normal.

The phoenix took off and approached me slowly. At first I thought it might attack me, but I chose to be calm and reached out with a hoof. The Phoenix came and landed on my hoof. He looked into my eyes and I could feel something warm in the back of my eye. Before I could do anything however, I began to pass out once more. While I was on the ground I could see the now sleeping Phoenix being put inside of a cage. A deep rage built up inside of me, but I could do nothing about it.


"How do we get out of here?" I was back in my cell, a new disgusting soupish concoction next to my cot and my new armor gone from sight. Coal Dust had just been brought back recently and he sounded tired. All the more reason to talk to him before he went back to sleep.

"There is no way out of here." he responded. I scoffed.

"There's always a way out. I've read enough secret agent novels to know that. We'll pull off some sort of Manes Bon Bon move."

"Okay, let me spell it out for you!" Coal Dust yelled in anger, very unlike him, "You don't know where we are, you don't know how big this place is, you don't know their security, and based on what security you have seen, you don't even know if you overcome any of them." He was practically growling at me by this point, "So tell me, Solid Gold, tell me how we get out of here!"

I chuckled, "I notice that you kept saying that 'I' don't know any of that stuff you mentioned. That means either you or someone else does. Am I close?" I got silence in return, so I went on, "First, I need to know their routine. That means time limits for fights, eating times, patterns, and schedules. You've been here for longer than I have, so I refuse to believe you haven't got some of this information. So..."

"Three months." he said, "We have three months to get out."

"Why's that?"

"When I first came here, I did check routines, patterns and other such things. I think I almost had an escape plan ready. However, I attempted it way too early. Because of that, they erase my memory every five months. It's been two already." I heard him sigh, "The problem is, I've forgotten too much. I don't even remember how close I've gotten to escaping or if I'm even in the cell I was in before. When that time comes, I will not remember you anyway. You've only been here two weeks."

"What!? That long?"

"Yes, and if you don't succeed in escaping, they'll start doing the same thing to you. It'll be a lost cause after that. You won't remember me if that happens. We'll be strangers again and again, if we ever meet. If that happens, you will die eventually."

I raised an eyebrow, "Why? I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty damn good with that Armor."

He paused for a second before answer, "Because we'll end up fighting."

"But I..." I stopped. Would I even be able to figure out some way to save him? He's obviously been here long enough to understand the routine. One of the fighters always dies. Could I really just... let him win? I want to escape too so...

I heard him get into his cot. We were done talking for the night...or day...I really don't know.


The door opened as I chose two short swords. This next enemy was a green mare, and I mean green. Green mane, green coat, green tail, green eyes. There were no whites in her eyes. In fact, I don't know if she's actually a stallion.

...Oh...oh Tartarus.

Her body morphed and folded into itself as she formed into a small ball. When the transformation was complete, two lime colored tendrils shot out and latched themselves into the ground. Using them like a giant slingshot, the ball rocketed towards me. I dodge it easily but it used another tendril to redirect its trajectory back at me. I dodged it again and it swung again.

The fourth time it did this, it slammed itself into the ground, splattering. The mass of goo began reforming again into a mare-like figure. She stared at me soullessly. We stayed that way for a few minutes before I started to notice that she was becoming more and more translucent. Upon hard inspection I noticed that she was practically hollow.

"What..." I was about to say until I noticed that her hooves were buried into the dirt. I didn't have time to react as green tendrils shot out of the ground and wrapped around me. I could barely move as they strained on my body. I tried to pull out of them but they stuck to me like glue. The mare had disappeared into the ground with the rest of her and a head formed in front of my face. I cast the first spell I could at the moment. With a small burst the world slowed and let me think.

(Mind Speed is a special spell that gives the equine mind the ability to think at ten times its normal pace. This gave me the time necessary to consider my options.)

This mare is made of some sort of everchanging substance. My swords will be completely useless against her as would any magical weapon. I doubt she can get into my suit but that doesn't mean she can't turn my helmet around a complete 180. Once she realizes that, I'm dead. Judging by the warmth I'm sensing, heat isn't going to do anything. Ice however...

The spell ended and time went back to normal. The mare was slightly surprised, and glanced around, wondering what my spell had done. I only had so long before she returned to her sense so I charged another spell. Just as I did she put her slime over my horn. I couldn't cast or even sense any magic. I lost my footing and she pulled me to the ground. Pleasure was building on my suit. I had to do something. I can't get up, my only option is... going... down.

I put ever ounce of strength into my hoof and brought it up. When I brought it down I broke the earth beneath me. I did this two more times until we were completely submerged under the earth. The slime around my horn became less thick and I let my already charged spell release.

Reality itself started changing as I was completely submerged in icy sand. The now frozen slime still surrounded my body. I burst out of the ice/sandy prison, shattering my adversary into a million pieces. I stood up and looked around. I found her head and knelt down by it. I stroked her frozen face and thought about Lily Pad. I don't know why. There was no way that this was her, but... I don't know. This creature just... reminded me of her.

You did well without my help.

It wasn't until that moment that I realized I hadn't heard the voice until now. I would have said something but... I passed out again.


When Coal Dust came back this time, I didn't address him. I remained in silence. I know this probably seemed strange to Coal because I didn't hear him get into his cot this time. I decided to ignore him and instead turned back to my own thoughts.

I have too many questions and too little answers. Why do they have us here? I don't think it's entirely for sport. This Doctor Fleisch is insane but he doesn't look like the type to make this just to watch. He also doesn't seem like a gambler to me either so he's not making bets. The only conclusion is that he believes what he's doing is right, as ridiculous as that sounds. This means he's either just a maniac with crazy resources or he plans on using us for something terrible.

"Hey. Are you alright?" I heard Coal Dust ask from the other side of the wall separating us. "You usually start talking and crap by now." I didn't respond. I didn't feel like talking. I guess he respected my wishes because a few minutes later I heard his cot squeaking again. It was seconds before I heard some stone start moving. I sat up from my place on the floor and saw one of the cobblestone slabs from the wall moving from it's normal space. When it was fully removed I got my first look a Coal Dust.

He had a pretty slim figure for a stallion er... male thestral. His leather wings were strapped to his sides with some sort of elaborate belt. What really grabbed my attention were his eyes, both of which were white and had a small glow to them. They were cat-like slits that opened sideways instead of roundly. His small frame slipped through the newly made hole perfectly but he didn't go all the way. Instead he stopped to look at me, this was his first time seeing me as well I guess.

He scoffs and reaches behind him, "I have those patterns you asked for." I hear a ruffle of papers and he pulls out a pile of files, plopping them to the side of the hole before starting to leave.

"Wait." he stops and looks back at me, "Thank you... for the help." He paused at this and then nodded his head before closing up the little hole.

I go over the files and start looking through them. There was more then I could possibly have imagined. Guards I didn't even know existed were apparently all over the place. A map of almost all the facility, minus the places Coal hadn't seen of course, and even where weapons could be found.

I heard a clange and hid the files inside my cot. It would be uncomfortable and I'll have to think of a different place later but for now that's all I can do. I barely got them in before Doctor Fleisch trotted in front of my cell, giddy as a schoolfill, if schoolfillies were entirely insane.

"Good day, Mister Solid." He said cheerily, "I am so happy to deliver you some news, and I zinc you shall be happy too."

I faned happiness and surprise, "Gasp! Let me guess! You aren't letting me go home? Oh, you really shouldn't have." My face changes to annoyance, "You really shouldn't have."

He laughed, "Vell, you are not wrong. However, zis surprise is a little different." The door to my cell opend and he motioned for me to exit. I raised my eye and didn't move, "You get to go to ze Cafeteria!"

Author's Note:

Wow. +4500 words. That is something I can feel happy about. I'm so happy with how the story's going so far. I couldn't have done it without all of you. Now also, I'm not so sure when the next chapter is going to be released. I might do some other random projects. Who knows?.

By the way, the slime mare was suggested by Asher 23. If you have character ideas, go ahead and throw them at me. I don't mind having more characters.

Anyways, may your days be sweet and lovely.