• Published 3rd Sep 2018
  • 407 Views, 2 Comments

Experiments: Shielded Soul - TRIBOT 4000



After a fatal accident, Solid Gold, a hoofball player, discovers he had so much he can still offer the world: protection.

  • ...
 2
 407

The First Chapter

"Solid! Catch!"

I turned around to the sound of my name just in time to see something flying through the air. A hoofball was soaring over my head. Not a bad throw really, but not good enough to stop me. I bolted down the field in the same direction the ball was going, doing my best to keep from falling. Damn, that thing's high. I kept galloping as fast as I could until I could see the ball make it's descent. Pushing off my forelegs so I could stand on my hind legs I kept my pace. It felt a little awkward but I've been doing it for years now so...no biggy.

I jump, catch the ball, and slide a couple yards on the grass. My mane's dirty, my legs hurt, and I'm covered in grass, but I caught the ball.

"That was insane. You went up like six feet." I looked at my friend from the ground. Jester Colt, an old friend mine, stood over me, his yellow maw smiling manically. The small bit of wind made his red a blue mane almost appear to be a flag of some sort.

"I've jumped high before." I told him as I lifted my huge frame off the ground. Jester hadn't let up though.

"Yeah, but, like, I've never actually seen you clear six feet that easily. What do you eat? Feathers for the weight and steel for muscle?"

"Only on Tuesdays." We share a laugh and head back into the lockers. My fur is patted against my body from sweat and I'm tired. I was hoping to grab an ale with the guys but it looks like that's not happening. I think I ripped a muscle from that jump and tore something when I landed. "Hey! Jest!"

"Yeah!?" he yelled from across the room.

"I'm not joining you guys tonight at the bar. I'm gonna rest up for the game tomorrow." I heard him close his locker and make his way to me.

"Oh come on, Solly! You're always the life of the party."

I raised an eyebrow, "You're the jokester, hence the name, Jester."

"Yeah, but you my friend make the jokes all the funnier. You have the best laugh out of all of us. Don't deny it. It's like you've got an earthquake in your chest." he poked me in the stomach, seemingly like trying to poke a brick wall. I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty well built. "Plus, you know as well as I that my talent means I put on a good show. I pretend to be funny when I need to. You actually entertain everyone."

He had a point, I am a bit more sociable than him, but I had to put my hoof down though. Now was not the time to be thinking about my social status. I had a game tomorrow and I needed rest. Ales and beers would not be a good idea.

"Look, I want to go but I can't alright. Like I said, I need to rest." Jester looked crestfallen. Crap, I felt bad. "I'll make it to the next one alright? I promise." that didn't help much. "Is something else wrong? I've turned down drinks before--"

"It's nothing." he seemed squirmish about the subject. In all the years I've known Jester, he's never been nervous about anything. Well...side from that time he accidently bumped into a mares hind end. That was funny. I shook my head. Back to the topic.

"Doesn't sound like 'nothing' from the way you're saying that." I bumped him in the shoulder, carefully of course, as a normal hit from me would have knocked him over, "Come on, Jest, I'm your best friend, you can trust me with a little secret."

It took a few seconds, as well as a couple glances to make sure we were alone but Jester did eventually speak, "I'm...asking Lilly tonight." for a split second I had to process the information. Once neurons started firing again I smiled widely and picked the little guy up. "Hey! Put me down!" I didn't.

"Jest, you just told me you're going to get married! I have a full right to be excited for you right now."

I spun him around a couple times before setting him down on the floor. "It's just a first proposal, it doesn't mean--."

"Oh, shut up. You know what Betty would say right now."

Jest chuckled and rolled his eyes, "Yeah." his voice raised to a higher pitch and he spoke with a familiar Trottingham accent, slightly exaggerated, "Pish posh, darling, true love cannot be stopped by either you nor her." we both laughed for a bit at the remembrance of our distinguished friend. Her daughter, Rarity, wasn't much different either.

When the laughter died down, I looked at Jest and put a hoof on his shoulder.

"Lillypad's very found of you Jest. I hope you know that. I'm sure she'll say yes, and if she doesn't..." I took in a breath as I felt Jest hold in his, "...maybe you can try again in a few years, or days really. Mare's are very unpredictable."

"That's why I want you there. A big muscly guy to make me look better." After the words left his mouth, Jest shrunk a little.

"That's why you wanted me to come. Isn't it? You wanted to be your quarterback in a way." He nodded and I sighed, "Well, then, I'm sorry but I most certainly can't come with you now."

"What? But--" I put a hoof over his mouth.

"Hold on, it's because this means so much to you. You've got to stand up this time, rather than shrink behind words you use, let the words you want push you forward. I know that sounds cliché, but a little corniness never hurt anyone." I pat him on the head and made my way out. Before leaving I shouted, "Let me know how it turns out tomorrow after the game. If she says yes, we'll get a few beers and live it up. If she says no...we'll...still do that. Bye."

"Bye Solly." and with that I made my exit.

____________________________

The trek home was plenty pleasant. Fillydelphia was either really noise or really quiet, and it rarely ever gets quiet. I guess that makes this all the more sweeter. A one in a million chance to get a silent night in Las Pegasus on the day before we fly out to Canterlot and play against the Seasaddle Seahawks. It would be the game of the century. If we won this we'd be on our way to the Super Bowl.

My thoughts swayed back to Jester. Not only was this an exciting night for me, he was going to propose to the love of his life. The two of them have been friends since...well as long as I can remember, and I knew Jester in preschool. I'm glad that he's taking the reins and making this decision. The only risks I've ever seen him take are for the team, as my agent and a fellow athlete. Now he's making a decision that could potentially change his entire future. Yet, I still have many doubts. What if Lillypad does say no. Maybe she's not ready for a relationship. I can understand the feeling, with my large frame I've had a number of mares come after me for either my money or my body. Lillypad has an incredible figure, and has quite the number of Stallions she's had to turn down. I myself have asked her out, and yet the only pony she ever said yes to was Jester.

Oh, Jester, if only he knew what a dork he could actually be. True, he was smooth in political matters and even talked himself out of a gang brawl when he ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since foalhood he's gotten himself out of trouble as I got us into it. I was no spring chicken, whatever that means. I do tend to get Jester into the most ridiculous situations. I remember that one time in the elevator when I pressed the fire alarm out of curiosity. He had a lot of things to say about that. Mostly profanities.

My thoughts were interrupted when I bumped into someone in a trench coat. I apologized but he merely got up and continued on his way. Such is the way of ponies these days. Sometimes I wish ponies cared for each other as much as they cared for themselves. Huh, I guess I might as well hope that the moon stays in the sky all day. Sounds just as plausible.

When I finally arrived at my hotel, I headed inside, greeted the receptionist, and went upstairs to the tenth floor. I walked down the hallway not bothering to glance at the numbers and found myself at room 105. Going inside I laid down a few of my things, including my helmet and went to bed.

I couldn't sleep. I don't know why. It's not like I couldn't sleep all those other nights before a game. This one was bigger sure, but it wasn't that kind of restlessness. It was the kind of restlessness you get when you feel watched, or that you've been watched and were unaware until that moment. I was just paranoid. Who'd wanna watch me?

Oh, yeah, Hoofball player for the Fillydelphia Everfreelancers. Of course someone would stalk me at some point. With that "comfort" in mind I drifted off into the land of dreams.

____________________________

This day is going to be great. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I woke up early in the morning and ate a small but good breakfast, I had no trouble getting to my carriage outside, the driver was nice, the weather was perfect for a game, I'd arrived with time to spare, and the rest of the team was early as well, allowing us some free time.

So what's wrong? The only pony not here is Jester. I don't mind him deciding not to come, but nobody has seen him since last night. I heard the proposal was a success, both he and Lillypad left together, and now, neither of them have been seen since. He never does this, like ever. He always lets at least one or two ponies know where's going to be. Why is it so different now?

My heart wrenched a little. Did something bad happen. I wanted to throw away the though with a bitter comment so it would slink back into the depths of my mind, but I couldn't while still being worried. Was he just held up? Hungover? Laid? I need to know!

"Solid Gold!" I nearly jump out of my skin at the voice. Looking down, I noticed a little colt standing in front of me. His coat was a shimmering white, just like mine, his mane a two colored shade of sky blue. He smiled wide enough to split his lip slightly.

"Um...yes?" I asked. The colt was quick to reach into a pair of saddlebags he had with him and pull out a poster of me holding a hoofball. I remember that photoshoot.

"Could you sign this for me please!?" His voice rang in my ears slightly but I obliged. After a quick magical sign off I gave him back the poster. He thanked me and galloped off, quite quickly to what was likely his parents. They smiled at me thankfully and I gave one back to them. Once that was over I calmed down slightly and my thoughts were clearer. Jest might have just forgotten this time. He's certainly not flawless. For all I know, he took Lillypad to Prance on a whim.

I went to my coach and talked with him for a bit.

Then...it happened.

BOOM

I felt the earth beneath me rumble and shake for a second. Everyone looked around fearfully as did I until I smelled smoke. It didn't take long to see it. A cloud of fire and smoke was rising from several blocks away, right where I'm pretty sure a big school stood.

I ran along side other ponies on their way to check the damage and see the commotion. If I could help I was going to be there. We arrived at a horrible scene. Pieces of debris were everywhere, fire raged on the side of school.

Some very powerful mages were luckily nearby and the fire was put out fairly quickly, but there were a few casualties: a red coated stallion lay burnt to a crisp and missing a leg, two other ponies lay in similar conditions. However, under some of the debris I noticed a color, unburnt. Yellow, blue, red.

No.

I ran over and used all my strength to push the stone off the body of Jester Colt. He was only partially singed, which gave me some relief but his body looked flattened. I rushed to him and gently felt around his neck.

No pulse.

"No! Jester, wake up!" I screamed loudly, hoping beyond hope that he could hear me. Hoping that maybe he was just unconscious. Maybe if I kept yelling he'd just wake up surprised and I'd crack a joke.

He didn't wake up. He didn't even twitch. He was already going cold.

I looked into his lifeless eyes and spoke earnestly, trying to hold back sobs, "No. Damn it, Jester, listen to me. If you can hear, listen. I want you to fight this. You have to live, you have to. You're going to marry Lillypad, you two are going to get married, and...and...have seven foals. You're going to grow old next to her, and I'm going to visit when I can and you're going to laugh about this day as you look back at how much I cried over you. Fight Jest! Wake up! Please wake up!"

On that day, my best friend died. He didn't hurt anyone, nor did he ever intentionally do something evil. He made others happy and made me happy to have him as a friend. He stood his ground and kept his beliefs. He was a good pony. He was. Now, he has been taking, by the endless sea of death, the one thing all living creatures have yet to experience. He was taken from this world before he could enjoy the true beauty of it.

I noticed the smallest bits of a smile on his face, as if, he was happy. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but one thing was for sure...

Jester Colt is dead.

Author's Note:

Well, the first chapter has been made. I've worked pretty hard on this and well, I must say, I am proud of the results. Sorry for taking so long, I really should have put a later due date for myself. However, I believe that the wait was worth it.

What will Solid Gold do now that his Best Friend is gone? Who was that figure who bumped into Solid the previous night? Why was there an explosion in the first place? Your questions will be answered eventually.

Any pointers will be well appreciated.