• Published 3rd Sep 2018
  • 406 Views, 2 Comments

Experiments: Shielded Soul - TRIBOT 4000



After a fatal accident, Solid Gold, a hoofball player, discovers he had so much he can still offer the world: protection.

  • ...
 2
 406

The Fourth Chapter

𝓔𝓘𝓖𝓗𝓣 𝓨𝓔𝓐𝓡𝓢 𝓐𝓖𝓞

The roads of Canterlot are always clean. I noted this as I walked down the stone path, looking down at my hooves. My hooves are dirty and unkept, I haven't bathed for a few months now. I've only had a little to eat, it's not like I can just buy food though. I don't have anything, no money, no food, no job. I guess I could go back to...

No! No, I'm not going back there. I'm never going back there! I just need to find a temporary job. Something to keep me going. Something to at least let me buy a loaf of bread. Why am I in the most expensive city in Equestria?

Oh, yeah, because I'm an imbecile. I can't live with my cousin in Ponyville since he doesn't live there anymore, and I end up using the last of bits to get back here. Peachy, just peachy.

My thoughts were astray so I didn't notice that I was about to bump into something. Needless to say, the inevitable happened. Who the heck put this sign in the middle of the...uh...the...ro...road...

Join the Royal Equestrian Guard Today
Three meals a day
A cot to sleep in
and a roof over your head
All for the low, low price of swearing fidelity to the crown.
Find your local enlistment tent for details.

Royal Guards get free food, a place to sleep, and I'd even get paid for it. I'd have to work, but...at least that would occupy my mind. I guess...I guess that's a plan.

I'm joining the Royal Guard.


𝓟𝓡𝓔𝓢𝓔𝓝𝓣 𝓓𝓐𝓨

The tribe was very helpful. Apparently, they'd encountered the mare we were after. They'd lost a few ponies to her and fled before anymore could get hurt.

The debrief we'd gotten from Princess Celestia, fortunately, had a lot of information we could use. Her original name is unknown, but she currently calls herself Feu, the Prench word for fire. She must have been from somewhere in Prance (no sh*t). Her being a Pegasus could mean anything, but it was something to work off of.

We traveled about two and a half days without any sign of trouble. I was beginning to think it was useless until Thunder got something in his hoof.

"Ow! Damn it! Who the hay left a piece of glass in...the middle...of the desert?" his voice slowed as he came to the realization of his own words. I looked at the shard and saw how smooth it was. It was fresh glass, straight out of a factory.

"The reports say that wherever she is "fire rages." If this mare has figured someway to make fire without the aid of unicorn, say...with an artifact of some kind, then it's likely powerful enough to turn the bits of sand here..."

"...into glass." Thunder finished for me, "We must be near." I nodded and looked around. The only thing visible from where we stood were a few canyons in the distance. Contrary to belief, the Badlands are larger than they look on a map. It would take a week just to get to the center, and then you wouldn't be able to see anything besides dunes.

I pointed towards the canyons, "That's our best bet. If she's held up out there, she'd look for shade and a place to recuperate. Put on your armor. I don't want anymore surprises." We put on our armor and put our cloaks over it. I'm glad I'd suggested it, because as we got closer our hooves were making louder crunching noises. By the time we got there, we were quite literally, walking on glass. It wasn't a thin sheet though, it was thousands of little bits and pieces, as if not everything in the dirt was able to turn. Falling face first into this would leave you with a face full of pain.

We walked cautiously around the rather large canyon, looking for any signs of life. We found none. A second check told us the same as before. Thunder shook his head, "Well..." he said as he looked at me, "I guess we've got nothing. Let's head ba--LOOK OUT!" I turned around just in time to see a rock come crashing down from the mountain towards me. It wasn't just a rock though. The damn thing was on fire! I tried a small teleport and barely got out of dodge. It gave me a severe headache though. I'm better at shields. Thunder Strike was out of the way long before me.

Once we recovered, we looked up the mountain to see a grey figure running down towards us. With a blood curdling scream, the creature launched a volley of fireballs at us, which seemed to have materialized in it's hooves. I couldn't pull up a ward just yet so I side stepped them. As they past me, I could sworn they were hotter by my side than when she launched them. Wait...she?

By Faust, I was right. It was Feu, the ashen mare, though now that I got a better look at her, she was three times as deadly looking. She came to the bottom of the mountain and launched another few fireballs. Thunder Strike faired very well, but I nearly touched one. Just being close to it burned me. Once I had the chance, I stood in a defensive stance to look at the mare who had quit attacking us. She paced back and forth, smiling and staring at us.

I addressed her as authoritatively as possible, "Ma'am, this is the Royal Guard. We ask that you kindly come with us so you may face trial and..." another fireball flew past me. So much for diplomacy. I burst forward at high speeds, she seemed prepared for this and launched more fireballs in my direction. I dodged past them, but kept my pace. I got close enough to touch when...

..she burst into flames. That's right. Burst. Into. Flames. Her entire body was a living torch. She was...for lack fo a better word, demonic. Before I had a chance to think, she hit me square in the chest, my armor began heating up as she held the pressure, I use one hoof and hit her face hard enough to hear a crunch. She looked back at me and opened her mouth. I could already tell what was about to happen and brought my hooves up to protect my face.

The blast from her burning breath forced me away from her, and made me want to scream in agony. My forearms stung with every movement as I lowered them. I was lucky that the cloak had taken about 1% of the damage.

Feu got ready to charge again when, quick as lightning, a blast of electricity hit her from the side. Thunder Strike then came in for a hit and knocked her on her side. I stood looking as he began punching her with his bare hooves. Suddenly, she began taking a breath. I launched myself forward, Thunder needed to get out of the way. Right as she attacked, I grabbed him and put my back to the mare, taking the brunt of the attack. My vision began going dark, I was about ready to black out...


Solid stood between me and the mare, taking the brunt of an attack I hadn't seen, nor had I been ready for. He slumped over, and passed out. I couldn't take on the mare alone, she was like, wicked dangerous. I had to figure out a way to get Solid and myself out of here. Good thing she'd taken a few steps back, waiting for us to attack, but how was I going to move this big guy? I searched around for an answer, but found none. The burning...thing stepped slowly towards us, I held Solid closely, ready to meet our demise together.

But nothing happened. I didn't feel the heat anymore, nor did I hear any hoofsteps. I could hear panting though. Strenuous panting. I opened my eyes and looked up. There before me was that friend of Solids. Azire...or lordy...something. I don't remember his name but damn, was I happy to see him. He took a few more deep breaths and rubbed his horn. He teleported us out? But the next safe spot, another canyon, was like miles away. He must've had some special teleportation training, then again, I only know what I've been told.

"He's got severe burns on his back and forehooves." I told him as I began to lift myself from the large beast of a pony, "We need to get him to a hospital...agh!" I suddenly felt a horrid pain in my side. I hadn't gotten off entirely unscathed. Some of the flames must have gotten past my friend. The unicorn in front of me shushed me and took some bandages from the saddle bags. I didn't argue as he patched up Solid as best he could. we weren't about to take his armor off with some sort of way to keep him from bleeding to death.

When he was done he offered to patch me up. I took the bandages and did it myself. What's a stallion without his pride?

--

With the help of several unicorns from the tribe we were able to have both Solid and I teleported to Canterlot. A message had been sent to prepare for our arrival. Solids friend stayed behind. Strange pony. When we got to Canterlot, Honey was already there and immediately started giving orders. She surprises me way too much. A pony like, who stutters like crazy, giving orders so perfectly clear.

Anyhoo, it only took a few seconds before I was in another room getting better bandaging. There was a lot of commotion in Solids room though. I wish I could have seen what was happening.

I also wish I could have been there...to keep him safe.


Internally, I was freaking out. What happened? Who did this? Why? Are you okay? But I knew that if Solid was going to live, then those questions needed to be saved for another time.

The first thing we did was get his armor off. Oh Faust, it felt like pulling off his skin. My stomach churned at some parts. I nearly threw up. Luckily, I kept in my dinner and kept going. Once the armor was off we quickly applied bandages and had somepony make sure he didn't have any internal nor permanent damage. None of this was the worst part though. The worst part...

...was when he woke up. His body spasmed as we tried to keep him down. One of the nurses had been smart enough to put an inhibitor on him, but his body was a massive pile of muscle. I doubt that without a few earth ponies we wouldn't have kept him down. I applied a chemical to put him to sleep, which worked, thankfully, but many of his wounds had opened up.

It took some time but eventually he was completely stable and we were already applying some self-growing synthetic skin. I decided to take this time to see another patient of mine. As I walked slowly into his room I could see he was fine. He noticed me and smiled.

"Hey, Honey!" ,Thunder said, "How are you?" I gaped at him.

"You and Solid just teleported from Celestias knows where, I have to patch him up with a team of doctors. You've got a second degree burn near your gut, and you have the audacity to ask 'how I am'?!" I don't raise my voice that loud most of the time. In fact, I don't raise my voice like that at all. I was just so...upset with him...making this situation so light. What he said next absolutely appalled me.

"Yep."

I stood there glaring at him for a few seconds before rushing over to the bed and planting a kiss on his lips with tears in my eyes. He returned the kiss and simply stayed that way for a little while until we were forced to come back up for air. he looked me right in the eyes and raised an eyebrow.

"So...is that a yes or...?" I laughed and hit him over the head lightly. After I regained my composure i asked him what happened and Thunder gave a me a short synopsis of what happened. I wish I could have helped, or at least have been there to do something.

But most of all...I wish I had asked some guards to stand by Solids room.


I awoke, well, technically, my eyes opened, but my vision was blurry. When my sense started to come back, I was in pain. I didn't scream, but I wanted to. Why was the ground so soft?

Wait, it wasn't dirt, it was a hospital. I was in a hospital bed. That means, Thunder must have gotten me out, which means Thunder's okay. Thank Celestia. I'll have to ask him how he saved me. For now, I'll rest.

And I did...for a while, before a blurry figure walked in. I couldn't make out his face, but I could hear his accent.

"Hello Mister Gold. Vow are you?" I didn't say anything. Movement hurt. He kept talking for me though, "I am sure you vant to know vut has happened. Do not vurry. Answers vill come in time." As my eyes slowly started to regain their ability to see. I could barely make out a green coat and a...grey mane? I think that was it. "Firsht I vould like to ask you a vew questions." He leaned over me, too close for me to feel comfortable and whispered, "How vould you like to become indestructible? To become so powervul that you could protect your vriends? You could do anyving you vanted to. Vut do you say?" don't know why, but I slowly nodded. Then I felt something impale my chest.

"Zen congratulations, Experiment Three."

And with that...I blacked out.

Author's Note:

Now, the plot thickens. No, not a pony plot, I meana story plot, get your mind outta the gutter.