• Published 16th Feb 2018
  • 1,545 Views, 104 Comments

Scars of the Quill - EchoWing



A school assignment leads to old wounds being reopened, self-reflection, and revelations.

  • ...
1
 104
 1,545

Chapter Six - Rock Bottom

After what had felt like an eternity, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon stopped running. Exhausted, the pair slowed to a halt in a cluster of trees and regained their bearings. “You…think…it…followed…us?”

“I…hope not…” Diamond finally regained her breath. “You okay?”

Silver nodded as she finished gasping for air. Like her friend, she wasn’t used to strenuous activity, at least of this sort. “So, what now?”

“Now…” Diamond looked about, her face a mask of confidence, and pointed towards a tree. “Here. There’s moss on this tree. Moss always grows on the north side of trees.”

The other filly tilted her head. “Are you sure? I thought that was a myth.”

“Well, everypony tells me that it does, and there’s…” Diamond walked around the tree to discover that most of its trunk was covered in moss. “…no sense in listening to everypony when they’re wrong.” She then looked for where the least amount of moss was on the tree, and picked their direction based on that. “Come on, this way.”

The two then continued on their way as the forest grew darker. Silver found herself quietly hoping that Diamond knew what she was doing, even if signs were slowly pointing to the idea that she wasn’t. Though maybe, if they were really lucky, they’d stumble across the Castle of the Two Sisters by accident.

That was south of Ponyville, wasn’t it? Or at least south-ish?

-

The atmosphere at Sweet Apple Acres was somber as those ponies left behind did the only thing that they could – wait and hope for the searchers to find the two wayward fillies. Filthy Rich’s vigil kept him facing the direction of the Everfree Forest, and odds were poor that he would move from his position on the property until any word had been received.

A light cough caught his attention, and he turned slightly to find Gilded Lily had approached him to one side. She lifted up a thermos and smiled. “You looked like you could use something to help steady your nerves.”

The stallion sighed. “Thank you, Miss Lily.” He took the thermos with one hoof and set about pouring himself a cup of coffee. “I’m going to be up all night with worry anyway.” He took a sip as the mare sat down next to him. “You don’t need to be out here with me.”

“Somepony should be, if your wife isn’t.” She scowled. “I know that every pony reacts to fear in their own way, but I’d be little better than you if Scootaloo was missing. I certainly hope that I wouldn’t be lashing out at everypony.”

A sigh. “Spoiled’s only worried is all. She’ll simmer down once Diamond is…” He frowned. “This is my fault.”

“No, it isn’t.”

“Yes, it is! There’s nopony else to blame for this!” He took another sip of his coffee to steady his nerves, then continued, “I did the best that I could to balance my obligations to my business and those towards my daughter, but clearly I’m not doing enough, if she runs off like this.” He smiled. “I still remember the day she was born, how tiny she was. I promised there and then that she’d never want for anything, that she’d be safe, and that I’d do everything I could to see her grow into the best mare possible. And you’d think that would be easy, with all the wealth I have…”

“But business is always more demanding than you expect it to be.”

A somber nod. “If anypony here could understand that, I suspect it would be you.” He shook his head. “What am I saying? You’re practically a single parent, and Scootaloo’s never done anything like this.”

“And I’ve had a lot of help from my brother-in-law’s relatives, not to mention Rainbow Dash.” Lily smiled. “As much as I hate not being able to spend as much time with her as I’d like, I’m glad that my daughter does have ponies around to look after her where I can’t.”

“Still, it’s wrong for me to compare us. Spoiled’s more involved with Diamond’s education than I am, and even she can’t seem to do anything about the bullies my daughter’s had to deal with.”

Gilded turned to him with a raised eyebrow. “Bullies?” At his nod, she pressed, “Did she elaborate about these bullies?”

“No. And I’m not about to accuse that Quiver Quill of being among them, he hasn’t even been in town that long.” He noticed the foul expression upon Gilded Lily’s face. “Miss Lily? Don’t tell me…”

“No, I don’t believe your wife’s accusations. Not for a second.” With some regret, she turned to Filthy Rich. “But something tells me that you might not have the full story. Filthy, do you remember a few weeks ago, the tryouts for the Ponyville Flagcarrying Routine for the next Equestria Games?”

“Of course. Diamond had a routine with Silver Spoon. And they lost to your daughter and her friends, fair and square.”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean that they tried to win fair and square. Scootaloo told me afterwards that while they were working to perfect their routine, Diamond and Silver decided to give her trouble over…” She bowed her head sadly. “Over her inability to fly.”

Filthy turned to her in shock. “Diamond would never…!” He paused, and his memories went back to what Granny Smith had told him about her presentation for Family Appreciation Day. His daughter omitting that little detail wouldn’t be a surprise. He’d only punished her after she’d admitted it to him outright, and she’d clearly been hesitant to do so. “Well, I like to think that she’d never do something like that. Scootaloo’s merely a late bloomer.” At the troubled look on Gilded Lily’s face, he asked, “Isn’t she?”

The mare frowned. “I can only hope.”

-

“Alright everypony, first check-in.” Twilight held a wingtip to a device secured around her right ear and asked, “Can you receive me?”

:“Eeyup.”:

:“Aww! I wanted to answer first!”:

As additional ponies chimed in after Pinkie Pie, Applejack gently ran a hoof along the device on her ear. “So these gizmos let us talk with each other over long distance usin’ radio waves.”

“I don’t understand half of what the geek squad says about these things myself, but I’m glad we have these things.” Sour was wearing the helmet that served as part of her Royal Guard uniform, her radio set built into it. “Would’ve liked to have had this the last time I saw action, let me tell you.”

The farm mare chuckled as she recalled what she’d been told of technology in the human world, particularly the cellular telephone that her counterpart carried. “Suppose they would be mighty useful.” As Twilight joined them and lit her horn, she turned back and asked, “Everyone checked in?”

The princess nodded. “The radio sets work. Lots of ponies are going to be glad to hear that.” She then led them into the forest. “If somepony on the other teams finds something, then they’ll shoot word back to us and send up a signal flare to mark their location.”

The unicorn among them gave a rueful half-smile. “Assuming the tree cover isn’t too dense for them to send one up or for somepony to see them, at any rate.”

“I know, but it’s good to cover all your bases and have redundancies, isn’t it?”

Sour opted against arguing that point as they continued on, her eyes scanning their dim surroundings. “So, no big shock about me being Quiver’s cousin?”

“Eh, ain’t a big shocker. Everypony’s got kin. Me, Ah got family all over Equestria. That’s the thing about farm folk, we tend ta plant roots all over. Pun intended.” The three shared a mild chuckle at that before Applejack amended, “Tiny bit surprised by you bein’ a unicorn, though. We’ve met Quiver’s daddy, and he’s an earth pony, same as Quiver.”

“And my Aunt Connie, and our grandparents. But somewhere back in the family tree, a unicorn got tangled up in the branches, and those genes surfaced again with my mom. She married another unicorn, and eventually, I came along.”

“Any siblings?”

Sour shook her head. “Quiver’s the closest thing I have to a brother, despite the fact that we only saw one another a few times a year. Pretty strange considering my mom and uncle barely tolerate each other, but…” She sighed. “Bleh, not important.”

“Little surprisin’ that he ain’t mentioned ya before now, if’n ya’ll’re close as siblin’s.”

A raised eyebrow. “Do you talk about your family to everypony you meet?”

“If’n it’s relevant, yeah. Twi got to meet a good chunk’a my kin her first day in Ponyville. We called it a family reunion, but really, it was an emergency gatherin’ on account’a the Summer Sun Celebration.”

“Did that mention include the whole family? Including the ones not around?”

“Well no. Don’t need to be bringin’ up everythin’ all at once.” Applejack winced. “Oooh. That explains things.”

Sour smirked. “That and Quiver not being nearly as outgoing as you are. Truth be told, neither am I.”

“Well, some folks need time, Ah suppose.” Applejack then opted to change the subject. “So, yer in the Guard.”

“And I’d better not hear any wisecracks about us being incompetent.”

“Ain’t happenin’ from me, gal. Mah family’s got a healthy respect fer the military, an’ Ah ain’t stupid enough to slam folks whose got kin among mah closest friends. Tiny bit curious about why you got the post though.”

“Princess Celestia’s letter did specify her actions during the changeling invasion.”

At Applejack’s double take, Sour rolled her eyes. “Don’t be too alarmed. Some of us actually lasted a little while during their bum rush.” She raised the crossbow strapped onto her right front hoof and added, “And I think I only lasted as long as I did because I had this, plus nine other competent ponies helping watch my back. Those roaches might’ve overwhelmed us eventually, but I like to think that we gave as good as we got.” She frowned as she felt the raised eyebrow and noted, “And yeah, I know I shouldn’t be slinging around slurs like that, but can you blame me?”

“No, but it don’t mean Ah approve of it.” She eyed the weapon and wondered aloud, “So, you used that in battle? That mean what Ah think it means?”

“That I killed some of them? Yes.” Sour was grim as she explained, “Not proud of it, but not ashamed of it either. I swore an…”

“Don’t need to justify yer actions to me, ma’am. Ah’m just glad Ah don’t have to make those same choices.”

Sour nodded. “Pray that you never do.”

-

Spoiled Rich scowled as she looked about the farmhouse at Sweet Apple Acres, her gaze going through one door to another until she found the remaining adults on the property in the kitchen. “Where in the Maker’s name is the bathroom around here?”

Granny Smith gestured towards the door. “Th’ outhouse is right out there.”

The wealthy mare’s scowl only deepened as she threw her head up and marched towards it. She paused to throw a brief glare at Quiver Quill, only to scowl even further and picked up the pace on the way out.

The lone stallion rolled his eyes. “Well, that’s an accusation that I hoped would never come my way.”

Cheerilee gave her most comforting smile. “Mrs. Rich is just worried about her daughter. I’m sure that once Diamond’s found…” The smile faded. “…she’ll continue to treat you like something disgusting. I’m sorry.”

Quiver shrugged. “Not my first brush with the petty and wealthy, unfortunately. Sadly, it seems like they don’t change much as they grow up.” He stood up from his seat at the table. “The two of you trust me to check on the girls, right?”

Granny Smith laughed. “Fella, if’n Ah thought ya’ll were a danger ta my grandbaby, then ya wouldn’t’ve been sittin’ there.”

A smile. “Nice to know that somepony trusts me.”

“Yer plenty trusted, Quiver. Don’t let her get to ya. Besides, the sooner ya git, the sooner Ah can tease Cheerilee over not datin’ Big Mac.”

The schoolteacher blushed. “Granny Smith, you and I both know that we didn’t work out the first time! And that second time…!”

“Ah know, love potion. Still, Ah’d like to see some greatgrandkids ‘fore too long, and you an’ he made fer a cute couple.”

Quiver turned away with a smirk. “And I’m going to get out of here before you try to set me up with Applejack.”

The elderly mare laughed as she called after him, “She could do a lot worse’n you, fella!”

The stallion chuckled as he made his way through the house towards the upper floor. Apple Bloom’s bedroom door was easy to find, thanks him having it pointed out to him earlier in the evening, and he knocked. “Girls? You three in…?” The door creaked open, and Quiver glanced inside to find nopony within. He frowned at that, then quickly made his way down the stairs, out of the farmhouse and into the barn, where he found exactly what he expected to find. “And what do the three of you think that you’re doing?”

Right before him, he found the three Crusaders all packed and ready to go. Scootaloo glanced at Apple Bloom and admitted, “That’s exactly what I was thinking.”

The young earth pony filly turned nervous as she looked to Quiver. “Ah know this don’t make a lotta sense, but Ah feel like Ah might be a little responsible for this. An’ Ah feel like Ah need ta help.”

Sweetie Belle stepped forward and picked up where her friend left off. “And Scootaloo and I can’t just let her go into the Everfree alone, even if we think she’s doing something crazy.”

Quiver shook his head as he approached. “Apple Bloom, what Diamond Tiara’s done is in no way your fault, any more than it is mine. I can get misplaced guilt, but this is something that you should leave to your sisters, and the rest of the grown-ups.”

“Ah know, but since when did they think like young’uns like us?”

“Not as long as you’d think.” He glanced over their bags. “At least you thought to be prepared. What all do you have?”

“Rope, flashlights, flare shooters, paint markers, and…” Sweetie Belle pulled a small device from her bags that looked as if it was meant to clip behind her ear. “Twilight had a few extras for these. They’re…”

“Crystal radio sets. Meant to aid communication between separate groups on the field. Sour has a similar model installed in her helmet. I’ve seen the civilian version at the warehouse.” He grinned. “Something to put on your Hearth’s Warming lists, by the way.” The grin faded. “I’m glad that you’re thinking things through, but that doesn’t mean you should be rushing out there. We already have two fillies lost in those woods, we don’t need three more. Besides, you don’t owe them any favors.”

“Ah know, but…” Apple Bloom sighed. “But Ah feel like Ah need to do somethin’. Besides, just because they wouldn’t lift a hoof to help me doesn’t mean Ah should do the same.”

“Quiver, what…?” The stallion turned to find Spike approaching behind them. “Wha…?”

“The Crusaders are about to go into the Everfree to try and help with the search.” Quiver took up an unlit torch. “And something tells me that if they’re bound and determined to do something this crazy, that very little’s going to stop them.”

The young drake looked at him in shock. “You’re not saying that we go with them, are you?”

“No, of course not. You need to be here in case everypony else is wasting their time.” He looked less than thrilled at his next statement. “I, on the other hoof, am another matter. Scootaloo, your aunt’s going to kill me.”

“Only if you don’t bring my niece and her friends home safe.” Gilded Lily approached. “And that’s a promise.”

Quiver nodded and then gestured to the fillies. “Come on you three. Keep your hooves crossed that the more sane adults find them before we get too far.” He turned to Apple Bloom and asked, “This is one of the friction-light torches, right?”

As the filly affirmed such, Scootaloo was briefly stopped by her aunt. “Aunt Lily, I…”

“Scootaloo, be careful.” The mare hugged her niece close. “You’re going to be so grounded after you get back, but right now? I am so very proud of you.”

The filly grinned, and then rushed to catch up with her friends as they went on their way into the forest. As she watched them go, Gilded Lily hoped that Quiver would be proven right, but she knew full well that luck wasn’t always on her side.

-

“It’s rather fortunate for us that you were visiting Ponyville the same day that Twilight’s new bodyguard arrived.” Rarity smiled at Flash as she led the way through the Everfree, the tip of her horn glowing to light their way. “A coincidence, of course, but still, rather fortuitous given the circumstances.”

“Hey, I’m just glad that I’m where I can help.” Flash frowned as he admitted, “I’ve got a little brother about the same age as the two fillies we’re looking for. I’d hate for him to be in danger out here.”

“Same for me and Scootaloo.” Rainbow Dash chuckled at that. “She might be my honorary sister, but that’s close enough for me.”

The group of searchers had opted to split up into smaller groups of three, with the decision aided by the radio communicators that Twilight had brought with her. Flash already had one installed into his helmet, which was firmly planted onto his head, while the other two teams had them as well. There’d been periodic tests, and so far, they’d worked.

“Speaking of Scootaloo, did she follow up on that advice I gave her the last time I saw her?” Flash turned to Rainbow Dash and tried his best to be subtle. “I mean, I get that you might not know, but…”

“Is this about Scootaloo’s flight trouble?” The stallion turned to Rarity, who giggled. “Darling, forgive me, but I’ve an ear for gossip.”

“Yeah, no kidding.” Dash rolled her eyes. “But yeah, Gilded Lily did get Scootaloo to see that doctor in Canterlot that you recommended. I went with, y’know, for support, and they did some tests.”

“And?”

“And there’s good news and bad news.” The prismatic pegasus smiled. “Good news is that Scoots is fine, physically. Her wings are a little smaller than the average, but you take a look at Bulk Biceps and you can tell that doesn’t matter much. And if you’ve seen her on that scooter, well…”

Flash chuckled. “Yeah, Basey’s told me stories about her buzzing around town on that thing.” He then sobered up and reasoned, “So it’s probably not physical.”

“Yeah. Something’s keeping her from turning all that thrust into lift. The doc figures it’s something like thaumic anemia, and he’s hoping that if that’s the case, it might get better as she gets older, maybe even as soon as she gets her cutie mark. But even then, there’s not much he could do beyond recommend some specialists.”

“She gonna see them?”

“Soon as the next school break comes up, but I hope it isn’t just more of the same.” She smiled and promised, “Whatever happens though, I’ll be there for her.”

Flash smiled sadly. “Good. She’ll need it.”

-

Diamond Tiara found herself thinking that she needed a miracle as she continued to lead her friend through the Everfree, and the growing darkness around them did little to ease her concerns. What concerns she had were firmly kept on the inside, however, and on the outside, she had the same firm, determined expression that she’d had when they’d set off. Diamonds don’t break, as she’d consistently been told, and she wasn’t about to show otherwise. She couldn’t.

She paused, and Silver Spoon paused behind her, as she took a good look at where their path had taken them. Before them was a wide crack in the ground, with its shallow decline starting a fair distance to their right. Immediately before them, however, was a fallen tree, probably sturdy enough to serve as a bridge. “Come on, Silver. We can cross here.”

Silver hesitated to follow, but soon caught up and climbed onto the tree after her friend. The two were halfway across before they heard the wood beneath their hooves begin to creak and give way, and just as they attempted to rush across the makeshift bridge, it shattered, and the two briefly screamed as they began to roll and fall down the shallow bit of earth.

After what felt like an eternity, but was really more like a minute or two at most, the pair skidded to a halt at the base of the incline among the remnants of their destroyed bridge. Diamond got to her hooves first, battered and bruised but otherwise unharmed. “Anything broken?”

“No.” Silver felt and fumbled about in the darkness, just dimly visible to her friend. “But…”

“Okay then, let’s get moving. We can’t stay down here, it’s low ground and…”

“And what, we’re supposed to find high ground?! How?!”

“Silver, calm down!”

“No Diamond! I’m not going anywhere, not until I find my glasses!”

Diamond scowled and rounded on her friend. “Who cares about your stupid glasses?! We need to m–!”

The sound of shattering glass and bent metal beneath her hoof caused Diamond to look down in surprise, then pull her hoof away to find the broken remnants of her friend’s glasses beneath it. She looked back up to find Silver scowling at her. “Silver, I…”

“Found my glasses.”

Diamond acted on instinct in response and scowled back. “Well, what do you need these stupid things for anyway?”

Silver’s screaming response would have made a banshee proud. “To see, Diamond! I need them to see! You think I wear them just because they might make me look cute?!”

“Well it’s not my fault…!”

“No, it is! It’s your fault that we’re out here, it’s your fault that we’re lost in this Celestia-forsaken forest where nothing works the way it should, and it’s your fault that my glasses are broken! And for what?! Just to stick it to Mister Quiver Quill?!”

“He stuck his nose into my business! Twice!”

“And the first time involved us bugging the Cutie Mark Crusaders! And that’s another thing! You’ve been giving them grief over being blank flanks for a year, and then suddenly, just because they’re hanging out with a princess, you decide you need to put one over on them?!”

“You came too!”

“Yeah, but I actually got curious about that blueprint she had! I’m probably never going to know anything more about it either, thanks to you trying to brownnose your way into Princess Twilight’s good graces! And the worst part of it was, Mister Quiver was right! I remember your cute-ceañeara, how you were fuming about her and the Crusaders upstaging you! You hardly gave her a second thought after that until after she became an alicorn!”

“She wasn’t important!”

“And the Crusaders are?! Seriously, if it’s not Apple Bloom or Scootaloo, then it’s all three at once! You’ve been giving them nothing but trouble for, like, a year now, and for what?! Because they were blank flanks?! That didn’t stop you from hanging out with Apple Bloom’s cousin Babs! Because it was fun?! I don’t remember losing to them or getting humiliated or any of that being fun! So what’s left, spite?! Spite got us into this mess! Spite got us stuck out here! Spite got us lost in this forest, almost eaten by a manticore, and soon enough, it’s probably gonna get us both killed!” Tears were beginning to well up as the filly wailed, “We’re going to die out here, Diamond! I’m never gonna see my mommy and daddy again, and it’s all your fault!”

Silver then collapsed and sobbed, her head buried in her forehooves as she wept over their fate. Diamond, for her part, looked upon her friend with regret as she realized the sad, painful truth.

“I’m sorry.”

“Well you should be! Like I said…!” Silver looked up from her hooves and, despite her cloudy vision getting worse thanks to her tears, she could make out the utterly broken look on her friend’s face. “Di?”

“You’re right.” Diamond’s voice and face both looked to be cracking, her tone broken and her eyes straining to hold back tears. “This is my fault. We… you’re…” She was interrupted as footfalls sounded from one direction, and she rushed to put herself between whatever was coming and her friend. “Silver, don’t come back, just run!”

“But…!”

“Just…!” She then paused and, in a moment of clarity, realized, “Since when did monsters carry torches?” The brush and branches were moved aside, and a trio of familiar fillies came into view along with their stallion escort. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders?! Mister Quiver Quill?! How?!”

“Sheer luck and sensitive ears.” The stallion looked the two of them over as he held his torch as high as he could. “You two alright?”

“We’re okay, but…” Diamond lowered her head shamefully as she admitted, “…but I broke Silver’s glasses. It was an accident, but…”

“Hang on.” Apple Bloom approached with greater concern than before. “Lemme check yer hoof, make sure ya ain’t bleedin’.”

As the farm filly examined her hoof, Diamond’s gaze went from one Crusader to another, then finally back to Apple Bloom. “Why?” Golden eyes met blue as the wealthy filly asked, “Why are you out here looking for us? You hate us.”

“Ah don’t hate ya. Neither of ya.” Apple Bloom frowned as she admitted, “But the two’a ya’ll ain’t given us much reason to like ya much, neither. Ya’ll’ve been nuthin’ but burrs in our saddles since last summer. Bullyin’ us, teasin’ us…”

Scootaloo glared and interjected, “Calling me a cripple.”

“An’ it’s only a matter’a time ‘fore you come up with some slight against Sweetie Belle!” Quiver raised an eyebrow at that, but opted to keep his mouth shut as Apple Bloom continued, “Or gave me grief over bein’ an orphan! Seriously, after Scootaloo, Ah’m wonderin’ whether or not ya’ll’ve got limits to how low you’d sink!”

“You don’t understand…”

“Don’t understand what? That you’ve got parents who’re still alive, an’ me an’ mah siblin’s only have memories an’ stories an’…an’ Ah ain’t even got memories, cuz Ah was too young to make ‘em. Ah could have a fancy mansion an’ more money than the Maker, and it still wouldn’t bring them back to me.”

Diamond Tiara bowed her head and softly admitted, “At least you know that they’ll always love you.”

That caught everypony else present off guard, but Apple Bloom was quick to recover. “Yeah, well, that still don’t justify all the trouble ya done put us through. An’ somethin’ tells me that ain’t changin’ anytime soon.” Apple Bloom took a breath to recover herself, then finished, “But all that don’t justify us leavin’ you out here to die neither.” She brushed the frogs of Diamond Tiara’s hoof with her own and declared, “Yer hoof’s fine, no glass shards.”

“That’s good.” Sweetie Belle was quietly collecting what she could of Silver Spoon’s glasses. “Rarity knows a mending spell. I don’t know if it works the same way with glass that it does with fabric, but if she can’t fix these, then maybe Twilight can.”

Silver sighed with relief. “Thank you.”

“Thank her after we get you guys out of here. Speaking of.” Quiver planted the torch into the ground and put a hoof to the device on his ear. “Calling all ponies, anyone out there?”

:“Quiver? What’s going on? Did the police find Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon?”:

“No Twilight, the Crusaders and I did.” Quiver looked up as Scootaloo pulled a flare gun from her saddlebags and passed it over to him. After judging the tree cover wasn’t too thick, he aimed high and fired off a flare. It exploded high above the tree line as he turned his attention back to the radio. “Feel free to yell at me after you and the other teams meet up with us and we get them home safe. Assuming there’s anything left after Applejack, Rarity and Spoiled Rich get through with me.” His gaze turned on Diamond Tiara as he remarked, “I think I owe your father an apology. He did a pretty good job, all things considered.”

“I guess.” Diamond briefly looked away, then turned back. “Why are you here? I’ve hurt you too.”

Quiver took back up the torch. “There are things that hurt worse than getting your hoof stomped on. And I think you know that.” His earthy brown eyes met hers as he admitted, “But there’s pains that you don’t know, and that I do. Like the pain experienced when a family loses a child. Your parents don’t deserve to lose you.” He knelt down and offered, “Silver, if you don’t think you can see well enough to get out on your own, I’m okay with giving you a ride once everypony else finds us.”

Silver smiled, and shook her head. “Thank you, Mister Quiver, but I’ll pass.”

“Alright then.” He stood back up and asked, “But what possessed you two to think coming in here was a good idea? This place is dangerous!

Diamond shrugged. “I thought it was safe enough. I mean, Apple Bloom comes in here all the time.”

“Durin’ the day, to visit Zecora. An’ she’s got ways’a wardin’ off most’a the critters that roam these woods. The last time us three came out here at night, we nearly got turned into stone by a cockatrice.” Apple Bloom shuddered. “Thinkin’ about what it did ta Twilight, what it almost did ta us ‘n Fluttershy, still gives me nightmares.”

“Well let’s just hope all this commotion hasn’t…” A terrible howl cut through the air around them, and all of them went deathly silent. Quiver’s next words were decidedly more quiet, barely more than a whisper. “Apple Bloom. Did I just hear, what I think I just heard?”

The filly had gone pale. She’d heard those howls before, and like every child of the Apple family since the founding of Ponyville, she knew what they meant, and gulped. “Timberwolves.”

Harsh growls sounded around them as the frightened fillies gathered close. From out of the shadows around them approached constructs crafted of wood and wild magic in the all too familiar shape of a canine, bright yellow eyes surrounded by various shades of brown and green with foul breath emerging from each maw. One by one, they emerged from the surrounding foliage and into the small clearing, yet more standing over them like vultures waiting to tear at what their comrades left behind.

The five fillies gathered close together, Sweetie Belle desperately trying to keep her horn lit while she and the others moved to protect Silver Spoon as best they could. Quiver kept close to them, torch in hoof, his gaze moving from one timberwolf to another as they closed in on all sides. He didn’t know how long they could last.

But he’d fight for every spare second.

The first lunged, and Quiver shoved the torch directly into its face. The timberwolf howled in pain before Quiver punched it hard enough to break off most of its head and cause it to crumble into deadwood. He glared at the rest in warning. “Come on then. None of us is getting any younger.”

Two more charged out from the shadows, the first batted aside with the torch as the second met Quiver’s back hooves. A third lunged close before it was bucked hard into a nearby tree and shattered. “I wish my old stallion had your timing.”

Big McIntosh snorted as he set his sights on another foe. “Fight now, chat later!”

“Bad doggies!” Pinkie Pie pronked her way onto the scene, going from the back of one timberwolf to another before she landed, deposited Fluttershy beside her, and pulled her party cannon free from her mane. “No biscuits!”

As the battle was joined, the yellow pegasus held the fillies close and assured them, “It’s alright girls, help’s on the way.”

It only took a few more seconds for Fluttershy’s promise to be proven true as the timberwolves watching over them were torn apart one by one, a unicorn mare and two pegasi diving to the rescue. “Flash darling, if you’d be so kind as to clear a path!”

“On it!” Blades extended from the tips of his wings, and Flash Sentry charged in against the surrounding wolves. As one lunged towards him, he shoved both blades into its eyes before pulling its head apart. The body collapsed soon after as one flanking it was beheaded by a fast-moving stone. “Nice shot, Dash!”

“Hey, I can’t let you steal away my fan club!” The prismatic pegasus turned back and winked at her surrogate little sister before she returned to the matter at hoof. “Come on, let’s get out of here! Timberwolves have a bad habit of pulling themselves together!”

Sure enough, wisps of green smoke swirled and formed around the scattered bits of timberwolf as they rejoined, the broken timberwolves coming together into even larger forms than before. Even as they assembled, Quiver grabbed hold of one filly at a time at the scruff of their neck by his teeth and tossed them onto Big Mac’s back. The larger stallion cottoned on and grabbed hold of Apple Bloom the same way, but before Diamond Tiara could join the other fillies, one of the giant timberwolf’s paws slammed down between her and Big Mac.

The timberwolf only had a millisecond to appreciate what it had done before Quiver’s torch was shoved between the chunks of wood that made up its leg. It howled in pain as Quiver scooped up the filly before him and tried to join Big Mac and the others in a hasty withdrawal, only to be separated once again by the timberwolf’s other front paw.

Diamond was perched upon his back, her front hooves wrapped tight about his neck, while Quiver looked up at the creature of wood and magic before him. The rest of the group was too far away to help, either occupied with the remaining timberwolves or trying to keep them from forming more king-sized ones. Terrified, the filly cried, “Please tell me that you have an idea!”

A flash of light, and the last of the searchers appeared beside the two ponies. The gigantic timberwolf roared, only to find a crossbow bolt fly directly into its maw. Its head snapped back in shock before a shield shimmered into view around them, and the timberwolf lasted long enough to let out a whine before it exploded, hundreds of pieces flying off in every direction and bouncing off the shield protecting them.

Quiver relaxed. “Didn’t need one. We had a solution.”

Sour smirked as she leveled her crossbow at another timberwolf, only for it to turn and flee into the forest along with the rest of its pack. She relaxed, then turned to her cousin. “I hope the day never comes where I’m not there to save your plot.”

“Hey, language!” Quiver grinned. “There are foals present.”

“Speakin’ of, ah need a second.” Applejack approached her younger sister, still gripped tight in her brother’s teeth. “What in the sam hill were you thinkin’, comin’ out here like this? Bad enough those two were in danger, we didn’t need three more fillies ta worry about!”

“Indeed.” Rarity approached her sister and amended, “As relieved as I am that the three of you are alright, and glad that you were able to find your missing schoolmates, that doesn’t change the fact that you put yourselves at unnecessary risk! Mother and Father will be livid once they find out about this!”

Sweetie Belle’s ears dropped. “I’m sorry, Rarity. We just wanted to help.”

“Nopony’s sayin’ ya’ll didn’t help, only that ya put yerselves in danger when ya didn't need to.”

Apple Bloom found herself deposited back on the ground, then looked up at Big McIntosh as he nodded. “Eeyup.”

Applejack then took her little sister into a hug as she admitted, “Don’t change that we’re proud that ya’ll did it, though.” The embrace ended as she gestured, “Come on, let’s get outta these woods ‘fore somethin’ worse than timberwolves shows up.”

Silver Spoon’s eyes boggled. “There’s something worse than timberwolves?”

“Lumber bears.” Sour Sweet grinned as she amended, “Don’t worry, though. They’re mostly in northeast Equestria, near the Bugbear territories. Mostly.”

Diamond sighed with exhaustion. “Can we go home now?” She was already about to face one nightmare, she wasn’t eager for more.

-

“You let Quiver and the Crusaders go off into the Everfree?!”

A sneer formed on Spoiled Rich’s lips at Cheerilee’s exclamation. “Given the choices made by her relatives, it’s no surprise that she’d make such a foolish decision.”

Gilded Lily held firm as she defended herself, and tried her best to rein in her contempt for her fellow guardian. “I trust Quiver to look after the three of them, and to bring them back safely. The more ponies out looking for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, the better chance they have of coming back whole and unharmed.” She then turned to the schoolteacher and added, “Besides, you know how strong-willed those three can be. At least this way, I know that somepony’s there to keep them from doing anything too reckless.”

Cheerilee looked as though she wanted to protest further, but was interrupted as Filthy Rich called out, “I see them! I see them!” Everypony present rushed to him as they caught sight of the gathering of ponies emerging out of the Everfree and back onto the grounds of Sweet Apple Acres. As soon as he caught sight of his daughter, the stallion rushed forward in relief. “Diamond!” Ponies parted to one side as Quiver knelt down to allow Diamond Tiara to clamber off his back, only for her to be scooped up by her father seconds later. “Oh my precious filly! You had me worried sick! What in Celestia’s name possessed you to do something like this?!” At his daughter’s soft whimper, he backed off and tried to regain his composure. “Well, regardless, I’m glad that you’re safe. We still have some matters to address, and I expect you to apologize to Mister Quiver Quill for…”

“Apologize?!” Attention turned to Spoiled Rich as she strode forward to put in her two bits. “It’s his fault that she was in danger in the first place!”

“Spoiled, please, we don’t –!”

“No.” Heads turned back to Diamond. “You’re wrong, Daddy.” Spoiled Rich only had a millisecond to smirk before her daughter frowned and screwed her eyes tight. “It’s not just him I need to apologize to.” Both her parents turned confused as Diamond looked up at her father with tears starting to build up in her eyes. “Daddy, I lied to you. Nopony was bullying me – I was being the bully, to Apple Bloom and the other Crusaders. I was making fun of her for being a blank flank and rubbing it in her face at my cute-ceañeara, and Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stood up for her. Nopony ruined it, except me.”

Filthy’s face turned pale with regret and disappointment. “Diamond…”

“And that’s not the end of it.” As if compelled to confess to all of her sins, the filly continued. “I turned her cousin Babs against her when she visited late last summer! I blackmailed all three Crusaders into continuing the Gabby Gums column after they asked to quit! I called Scootaloo a cripple, just to win a competition! I…” At that point, she couldn’t hold back her tears anymore, and wailed and shouted, “I’M A BAD PO-NEE-EEE!”

From the sidelines, the three Crusaders looked visibly deflated. A part of each of them, at some point, had imagined seeing Diamond Tiara at her lowest, but now they were seeing it for real. And it wasn’t anywhere near as satisfying as any of them, particularly Scootaloo, thought it would be.

“Oh for Celestia’s sake!” Spoiled Rich, however, was unimpressed with the sight before her, and shoved her husband aside as she marched in to address her daughter. “Diamond Dazzle Tiara! Compose yourself at once!” At her daughter’s continued wailing, she scowled and roared. “Damn it girl, pull yourself together!”

What came next happened so fast and so sudden that nopony could do little more than watch in shock as Spoiled Rich slapped her daughter across the muzzle. That instantly stopped Diamond’s tears, and forced her to look up at her mother with even greater terror than before.

“You foolish little filly! Do you have any idea how much you’re embarrassing me right now, how much you’ve inconvenienced me with this little stunt?! All this wailing and crying and moaning and carrying on like some pathetic little blank-flanked foal! You’re made of sterner stuff! A diamond!” She raised her hoof for another slap as she finished, “And diamonds don’t break!”

Diamond winced as the hoof was swung, but the blow didn’t land as another hoof blocked it. She looked up as Quiver stared down her mother, his eyes like daggers as he growled, “That’s enough.”

“How dare you touch me, you…!”

“I said that’s enough!” Quiver shoved her back, then inserted himself between her and her daughter. “Of all the things that I hoped I wouldn’t see in this town, what I just saw was at the top of my list! That was low! Vile! Detestable!”

“How dare you sit in judgment on me, you disgust–!”

“Because my father pulled that same horseshit on me!” Quiver ignored the gasps from his friends as he continued, “The only difference was that he was never stupid enough to think that he could get away with doing it in public, much less in the presence of a pony in authority! Then again, we were dirt poor, so I guess it’s true what they say – you can’t buy sense, class, or integrity! And even if you had all three, nothing gives you the right to treat your daughter, or anypony, the way you’ve done so tonight!”

Spoiled responded by slapping the stallion hard across the muzzle. As Quiver staggered back and the surrounding ponies pulled back in alarm, the wealthy mare sneered and shot back, “Money gives me the right! Wealth, power, prestige! You talk to me about ponies in authority? How dare you! There’s none higher than the wealthy!”

“Tell that to the princesses!”

“Hush, you stupid farmrat!” Apple Bloom stepped back at Spoiled’s fury as she continued, “Your dead idiot parents obviously aren’t here to explain this to you, so I’m going to have to do it for them! Princess Celestia threw away most of her power and influence over the centuries, and what little she has left for herself is a joke! To say nothing of her psychotic sister and that bimbo niece of hers! And elected officials? Bought! Paid for! Each of them has their price, provided you have enough gold to grease the wheels! Money is power, and those with the most money have the most power! Corporations, businesses, those with enough sense to take what they want and refuse to let go, we’re the ones who rule the world, and nothing is going to change that!” She rounded on each of the Mane Six in turn as she recounted, “Not some country bumpkin who only has a farm thanks to my in-laws, not some spineless weak-winged pegasus who clearly failed to become a real veterinarian, not some helium-brained sugar-addled ditz, not some stumped-up gold-digging whore, not some feather-brained failure who can’t be bothered to push clouds because she has her head stuck in them, not some bleeding-heart librarian with delusions of grandeur and an oversized pet iguana…” Her attention turned back to Quiver, totally ignorant of the increasing expressions of fury on the faces of the others present as she concluded, “And certainly not some retarded idiot like…!”

Spoiled was silenced as Quiver’s hoof collided with her muzzle with enough force to knock her back several steps. She barely had a second before she was slammed against a nearby apple tree with enough force to send several ripe apples falling to the ground, the stallion’s forehooves against her neck and his face contorted in sheer rage. “How dare I?! How dare you?!

“Quiver, stop!” Twilight’s horn glowed as she attempted to pull him away from his captive, only for him to actively resist. “Let her go!”

Not! Happening!

Rarity’s magic was added as the princess pleaded, “But if you keep this up, you could kill her!”

The stallion’s voice was little different from a roar as he declared, “She’s got it coming!

“Quiver. You’re scaring the kids.”

Quiver’s eyes finally left his quarry at the sound of his cousin’s voice, and as they moved to one side, they fell upon first Diamond Tiara, and then Silver Spoon and the Crusaders. He recognized what he saw in them, because he’d seen it before, both earlier tonight and reflected in the eyes of others from his own. Fear.

His rage subsided, and he released his death grip upon Spoiled Rich and stepped back, the anger that had distorted his face now replaced with shock and shame.

“You… you mad pony!” Even as she gasped for air, the wealthy mare wiped away the blood from her broken nose as she declared, “Do you have any idea how much that muzzle job cost?! I’ll have your head for…!” She paused as Quiver didn’t even acknowledge her and slowly walked away, his head hung low. “Come back here, you damn fool! Stop at once and listen to me, you…!”

“You’ve got bigger problems right now, Spoiled Rich.” The wealthy mare’s attention turned back to Twilight as the princess glared at her in anger. “I can handle ponies bad-mouthing me. But insulting my friends, insulting my family…” The dragon joined her, crossed his arms and snorted smoke. “…and insulting my fellow princesses? Including my sister-in-law?”

She sneered and remarked, “Something wrong? Did I hit a little too close to the mark, your High-and-Mightiness?” She scoffed and dismissively raised a hoof. “As if I’m intimidated by somepony like you.”

“No. I expect you aren’t.” Twilight kept her eyes locked on the mare before her as she spoke, her voice dangerously calm. “And you aren’t wrong. Celestia did give up much of her power over the centuries. It ended up in the hooves of elected officials, ponies voted in by and for their constituents to act in their best interests. You talk about how they can be influenced, about how they can be bought. Fine, I admit to that. No system’s perfect, but that’s better than absolute power in the hooves of one pony alone.” Her eyes narrowed as she added, “But there’s more than one way to grease wheels, Spoiled Rich. And no amount of money or influence in the world is going to protect you for long once word gets out that you’re an unapologetically abusive parent. Not in Ponyville, not in Canterlot, not anywhere.” The princess’s glare wasn’t reduced by even a fraction as the wealthy mare smirked, and she turned away. “Lieutenants. Keep her covered.”

Both Guardsponies present stood alert at her command as Sour Sweet answered, “Yes ma’am.” Both ponies’ attention was locked on the wealthy mare before them, as if they expected her to put a hoof out of line. Should she do so, both would be ready.

Twilight’s attention turned away from Spoiled Rich, and towards the rescued fillies. Diamond Tiara was sticking close to her father, but while his apologetic and regretful eyes were on her, her expression was pointed at the ground as fresh tears formed. “Diamond Tiara?” The filly looked up as Twilight prodded, “You collected what you could of Silver Spoon’s broken glasses, didn’t you?”

Diamond nudged her head towards the Crusaders. “More like they did. All I did was break them. Can you repair them?”

A smile formed on Twilight’s lips. “I can certainly try.” Inside, she reflected on how easy a fix this was, compared to what was to come.

Author's Note:

For those who were anticipating something unpleasant for Spoiled Rich, congrats, you got it.

The crystal radio idea is shamelessly ripped from the works of Reality Check. I don't feel too bad about it, given that it's real life technology that any Boy Scout could make with the right materials, but he used it, so there you are.

EDIT on 9/26/2020 - I changed a little bit for this chapter to eliminate some issues brought up by Final Legend Zero.