• Published 16th Feb 2018
  • 1,510 Views, 104 Comments

Scars of the Quill - EchoWing



A school assignment leads to old wounds being reopened, self-reflection, and revelations.

  • ...
1
 104
 1,510

Chapter Two - A Light Monday

Ponyville Schoolhouse was blissfully quiet as Cheerilee entered early that Monday morning, long before her students came in for classes. A teacher’s work began long before that of her students on a school day, after all, and she had some things to organize before the start of classes. Also, as much as she enjoyed seeing and hearing her students at work, it was nice to be alone on a given morning. A cup of coffee, a pastry, and a lesson plan to put the final touches on, all with peace and…

“Miss Cheerilee.” The mare looked up from her desk to find her addressor giving her an imperial gaze. “I require a word with you.”

The schoolteacher put on an accommodating smile. “Of course, Mrs. Rich. How can I help you this morning?”

Spoiled Rich’s expression was that of disdain and thinly-veiled frustration as she approached. The former was the norm for her, and the latter was likely due to her not being the sort to be up and about so early. “I’ve been informed of this recent storytelling assignment of yours, in cooperation with Princess Twilight.”

“I didn’t see the harm in it, and the rest of the school board didn’t object to the proposal.”

The older mare rolled her eyes. “My associates on the board, unfortunately, are easily intimidated, and certainly inclined to ignore my warnings. We’ve no need for interference from officials who’ve no business sticking their nose into the business of education.” Her expression turned sour for a brief moment before it went back to disdain. “Regardless, what is done is done, and now we must live with the consequences.” Her gaze was now fixed upon the schoolteacher. “Diamond Tiara is currently working on her assignment. Once it is handed in, I expect that it will be given the highest marks, and submitted to this magazine as promised.”

Cheerilee tried her best to maintain a polite smile. “Mrs. Rich, I’m afraid that’s not up to me. The evaluations are between myself, Princess Twilight and Mister Quiver…”

“Remind me, you’ve been teaching here how long?” An eyebrow arched on Spoiled Rich’s face. “How long a time?”

“I’ve been teaching here in Ponyville for a few years now. About as long as you’ve been on the school board.”

“Indeed. And I imagine that you have a difficult job, given you need to manage your own store of supplies and look after all of these students, especially the more troublesome ones.” Her gaze went over to a bulletin board adorned by photographs of the current crop of students, the ones without cutie marks prompting a look of disgust.

Cheerilee could tell this conversation wasn’t going anywhere pleasant, but kept a diplomatic tone of voice. “I manage well enough, I think.”

“Perhaps. But others could be convinced otherwise, especially given the behavior of some of your more colorful students. Others could see classes where students engage in terrible gossip and concoct love potions, and wonder how they could go so far astray.” A smirk briefly formed and then disappeared before she turned back to Cheerilee. “Just something that you should keep in mind. I expect the best for my child, after all.” She then turned and made her way out. “Good day, Miss Cheerilee.”

Cheerilee watched the wealthy mare depart, and her pleasant expression collapsed as Spoiled Rich exited the door. She’d heard the implied threat with all the clarity of a foghorn. This wasn’t the first time that something like this had happened either, but unfortunately, she was in no position to do anything about it. She was but a schoolteacher, while Spoiled Rich had been appointed to a government position thanks to her parents making a sizable donation to Mayor Mare’s election fund.

As much as her heart sank to think it, with a parent like this, it was no surprise that Diamond Tiara had turned out the way she had. Cheerilee knew the filly had it in her to be better than this, having seen it for herself on odd occasions, but still, it hurt for her to see it. She’d been raised to believe that ponies weren’t naturally cruel, and that such things were learned, not innate, but life had forced her to think otherwise. She’d done her best herself, but she often wondered if she’d only helped to put fuel on the fire, rather than douse the flames.

She sighed. And today had started out so well, too.

-

“Twilight, I sincerely regret what Sweetie Belle and her friends got up to over the weekend.” As Spike diligently finished setting out tea for the three of them in Golden Oak Library’s small kitchen, Rarity started to pour some for her friends. “She really should know better than to do things like that, trying to take advantage of another pony for their own ends.” At Twilight’s arched eyebrow, she frowned. “Alright, fine, perhaps I could set a better example for her, but still, I’m not trying to use you or Fancy Pants or Sapphire Shores to further my ambitions. As much as my charm may help, my best resource is my own effort and labor. Outside of that, well, nopony’s perfect.”

She flashed Spike an apologetic look, which prompted an appreciative smile from the young dragon. “Hey, it’s my choice to help when you need me, Rarity.”

“Yes, though I fear there are times where I take that for granted. Rest assured, you are valued around here.”

“And I know I’d be lost without you, Spike.”

Between the comment and an affectionate nudging with one of Twilight’s wings, Spike did his best to fight off a blush. “Thanks.” He popped off his seat and made his way out. “Hey, I think I’d better check the mail, be right back!”

The fashionista managed to restrain herself from giggling at the young drake's actions, and then turned back to the subject at hoof. “In any case, at least she came out and admitted it to me outright. I have spoken with her about it, and I assume that Apple Bloom and Scootaloo have both gotten similar discussions with their relatives.”

“I’m glad, but that’s not really what I’m worried about.” Twilight frowned. “Did they mention the part Quiver played in it?”

“His standing up to Diamond Tiara on their behalf? Of course. She sounded rather impressed with it, to be honest.”

“Well I don’t know if she should have been impressed with it, or if he should’ve intervened in the first place.” A sigh. “I mean, his heart was in the right place, I can’t argue about that, but…”

“But you’re concerned that he overstepped his bounds.” Twilight nodded at her friend’s conclusion. “Darling, I’m probably not the one to talk about regarding being bullied. If it ever happened to me, I’ve long since put it out of my mind and forgotten it.” She thoughtfully considered that. “Perhaps that’s why I didn’t recognize Suri back at Fashion Week.” She brushed the thought aside and noted, “In any case, I suspect he’s had his fair share of abuse from bullies at some point, even if he hasn’t elaborated upon it. It might well be that he wanted to do for the Crusaders what nopony did for him.”

“That might be the case. But the way he did it, it’s like I could hear the venom dripping from…” Twilight paused, then buried her face in her hooves. “Oh my gosh, do you realize what’s going on?”

“That we’re talking about a boy in a totally non-romantic context, despite being the two girls in our group with the clearest interest in the opposite gender?” She chuckled. “Darling, it happens all the time.”

“Still, somepony could walk in and hear us talking about him and think all kinds of crazy things.” The alicorn sighed. “I’m just relieved that nopony thinks our entire world revolves around him.”

“Of course not, darling! And I think that Quiver’s rather glad that it doesn’t. After all, I don’t like the idea of the universe revolving around me either.” A sheepish grin formed on her face as she admitted, “At least, not all the time. A little bit of attention here and there is always welcome.”

Despite herself, Twilight giggled. “I guess. Still, it’s hard to escape it when you’re an alicorn.”

“Oh please! We both remember how things were in Manehattan! They didn’t give a rat’s hindquarters that you were royalty!” Rarity once again thoughtfully considered her statement. “Which I suppose is both good and bad, considering. I mean, it’s good that they don’t fear reprisal from the government over something so inconsequential, one doesn’t want to live in a dictatorship after all, but still, being dismissive towards a pony of your social standing doesn’t really speak well for them personally.”

“No, but I don’t know which is worse, disinterest or being put on a pedestal.”

Rarity gave her friend a comforting smile. “Well, be assured that there are certain ponies who will always treat you with the respect that you deserve, with those who love you being on the top of that list.”

“Speaking of, mail’s here!” Spike re-entered with a small stack of letters. “Here’s everything that wasn’t obviously junk. I put the important stuff on top.”

Twilight took up the letters in her magic, and her eyes widened in glee as she tore the first envelope open.She read over its contents and did her best to hold back her excitement. At Rarity’s eager expression, she explained, “Flash has some leave time scheduled for this weekend! He’s coming to Ponyville to visit with his family, and spend time with me, and…!”

“Oh, say no more, Twilight, this is wonderful!” Rarity paused and realized, “Of course, this means Flash will need to meet your parents soon. Neither’s an issue, of course, I mean, I doubt that your parents or his will disapprove of either of you dating, but still…”

Twilight groaned, but her real mood was betrayed by the smile on her face. “Well, at least I have a cover for the non-romantic stuff.”

“Speaking of, you’ve never mentioned Quiver around Flash, have you?” At Twilight curious expression, Rarity explained, “I mean, we don’t want to risk some sort of…”

“They’ve met already, Rarity. You remember that weekend Cadance came to visit, and that mess with Discord?”

“Oh! Well, that simplifies things immensely.”

-

A weary sigh escaped Quiver’s lips as he made his way down Ponyville’s streets towards home. It had been a long and productive day at his workplace, albeit a very tiring one, and he was looking forward to settling down, making himself a nice dinner, and enjoying a little peace and quiet. He might even get a little writing done if he was lucky, and there was no clue how well things would go there once his new housemate moved in.

“Quiver! Hey, Qui-VERRR!”

The weary expression turned into a foul one as hoofsteps heralded the approach of his coworker. “Leading Rose. What brings you this way?”

“Nuthin’.” The pudgy stallion flashed his usual leering grin. “Just saw you, wanted to say you did a great job today.”

“Thanks.”

“So, you up to anything tonight? Goin’ out on the town, hangin’ with any mares?”

“I’m staying home, having a good meal, and getting rested for another day at work tomorrow.”

“That sounds boring. You gotta get out more, have some adventure, meet some hot mare and…”

“Quiver!” Their attention went to a familiar rosy pink Earth pony mare. “Just the stallion I was looking for!”

Quiver’s expression brightened significantly, which only prompted a greater leer from Leading Rose. “Guess you’ve got that covered. See ya, and hey, talk with Bright Star about replenishin’!”

The pudgy stallion went on his way, Quiver barely shooting him a glare before turning his attention to his landlady. “Hello Miss Lily. Is there a problem with the house or my fellow tenant-to-be?”

“No, though I feel like I might’ve just stumbled onto something myself. That stallion somepony you know?”

Quiver rolled his eyes. “Coworker. Minor nuisance. Like arsenic, tolerable in small doses.”

Gilded Lily stifled a laugh at that remark. “I know the type, unfortunately.” She recovered herself and continued, “In any case, I wanted to talk with you about something that happened on Saturday at Golden Oak Library.”

Quiver suddenly became more anxious about the current conversation. “Oh. I guess Twilight’s told you about my little confrontation with Diamond Tiara?”

“As has Scootaloo.” The older mare gave him a reassuring smile. “Relax. I’m not mad at you over what you did. And from what I heard from both of them, it sounded as though Diamond Tiara needed the calling out.”

“Well, that’s what I thought at the time, but the way Twilight reacted…” He sighed. “I don’t think I should regret it, and I’m trying my best not to, but…”

“Then don’t. You stood up to a bully on behalf of my niece and her friends, and that’s nothing to be ashamed over.”

“Well, all I did was something that I wish other ponies had done for me when I was younger.” Quiver frowned and admitted, “I had my own Diamond Tiara when I was a foal. Powerful, from a wealthy family, could get away with murder if they tried. It’s a credit to you that Scootaloo isn’t anything like that.”

A sad expression crossed the mare’s face. “I can’t take all the credit for that. My brother-in-law’s sister and her partner have been looking after her where I haven’t.”

“Yeah, I’ve been wondering about that. Where are Scootaloo’s parents?” A worried look crossed his face as Quiver asked, “They aren’t dead, are they?”

Gilded Lily shook her head. “No, thankfully, but with their lifestyle, it’s always a risk. My sister and her husband are zoologists. They travel Equestria and the wider world studying all sorts of exotic animals and creatures. Naturally, they couldn’t take Scootaloo with them, and Holiday didn’t want to move, so…” She sighed and shook her head regretfully. “Anyway, there’s a lot that I’d rather not go into.”

Quiver offered a sympathetic smile. “You don’t have to. They couldn’t look after her, and you stepped in. I know ponies who can sympathize with that. Regardless of your relationship with her, Scootaloo knows you love her and care for her. That goes a long way.”

“Perhaps, but a parent’s love only goes so far.” She sighed and admitted, “I’ve barely spoken to Diamond Tiara’s father, but I’ve not heard any complaints against him. Filthy Rich is a good stallion so far as I’ve seen, as dedicated to his work as he is to his family. That Diamond’s turning out the way she has is terrible, and as much as I hope that he’s not to blame, well…”

“Well, if being a single parent was easy… wait a second, her father is Filthy Rich? As in Barnyard Bargains?” Gilded Lily nodded, and Quiver rubbed his chin in surprise. “Huh. No wonder he’s busy. But I thought he was married.”

“He is, but I haven’t interacted with the family enough to know her that well, and I don’t trust rumors. Rumors get you into trouble.”

“Then let’s not talk rumors. Stick to facts.”

The mare raised an eyebrow. “Beyond the fact that Spoiled Rich is on the school board, and was appointed to the position some years ago, I’m afraid that I don’t have anything else that I can tell you. Now, if I may change the subject?” At Quiver’s nod, she asked, “Are you all ready for your new house-mate?”

“I’ve been ready since I cleared out all of Luster Drain’s possessions. I just wish I had a date for their arrival.”

“Me too. Hopefully I’ll have something firm for you by the end of the week. Right now, however, some advice? Be careful about whose feathers you end up ruffling, hm?”

Quiver gave his best reassuring smile. “I’ll do my best.”

With a nod and a wave, the two parted ways and Quiver continued towards home. His mind was aswirl with thoughts and possibilities, however, both unpleasant and worrisome. He was all but convinced that Leading Rose would be on his case over Gilded Lily, though how much of that was paranoia and how much past experiences he wasn’t certain, but an obnoxious coworker was minor compared to the puzzle he’d been presented with.

Quiver wasn’t a psychologist, but in many ways a writer needed tools similar to one to do their work. If a character acted inconsistently, then a reader would notice. Besides, how a pony came to be the way they were was always something that fascinated him, and often, the quality of a pony could come down to how they were raised. Wealth meant security, but one couldn’t buy morality or character with all the gold in all the world’s vaults. It was something that had to be learned, or taught. And how much Diamond Tiara was learning or being taught by her parents was very much up for debate.

Regardless, he found himself hoping that he hadn’t stepped in something that he shouldn’t, even if what he did was morally right. The fewer inconveniences he dealt with, the better.

As he approached his home, he caught sight of a familiar grey pegasus with a yellow mane tucking a letter into his mailbox. She turned to him and waved. “Hi Quiver!”

“Hi Derpy! Long day?”

She smiled. “Yep, but worth it!”

"That makes two of us." What anxieties he had faded as he smiled back and waved the mailmare on her way. He then looked into his mailbox and retrieved his mail, then entered his home. “Hey Edgar.”

The raven poked his head out of his enclosure. “Hello!” He then flew over onto his friend’s head and gently ran his beak along one of Quiver’s ears. “Mail?”

“Hm-hmm.” He put aside the obvious junk mail to examine one letter, the envelope professionally printed and stamped. He grimaced at the return address and tossed it into the trash with the rest of what he’d gotten that day. “And nothing I need to worry about. You up for dinner?”