• Published 23rd Jul 2012
  • 3,421 Views, 119 Comments

Love of the Draw. - Zoom zoom

  • ...
7
 119
 3,421

In which Applejack Looks in a Mirror

Chapter 4: In Which Applejack Looks in a Mirror.

Edited by UltimateRuin009

Draw: 5400 Tornic: 7000

“You’re far behind pony,” laughed Tornic. “I have two monsters and a face down card. You have nothing on your field and you can’t hide in defense mode anymore. You’re finished if you can’t turn things around this turn.” The dog holding Applejack pressed the knife closer. The blood was flowing freely down her neck now, though the wound wasn’t serious, it was enough to get Draw worried.

“Well then,” said Draw staggering slowly. He had to focus so the cards in his hands didn’t blow away with the heavy winds getting around Grumble and him. “I guess I have to stop toying with you then.”

“Toying?” Applejack was set off by this but didn’t move because of the knife, “you mean to tell me the entire time you let this idiot hurt you?”

Draw just replied with a smirk to his friend as he drew another card, his eyes remained closed as he drew his card. “I play the spell card: Graceful Charity.” As if powered by his own will, and as the words left him, the long haired angel pictured on the card appeared for a moment before disappearing into dust made of white light. “This lets me draw three new cards if I dump two in my hand after. So I draw and I think I’ll get rid of my Goblin Attack Force and Serial Spell cards.”

“What was the point in taking the Goblin then?” asked the Diamond dog confused.

“Just for that look on your face,” Draw replied. He opened his eyes which had turned beady and the white somehow replaced with yellow. “You wanted me to take this seriously. Well then I’m giving it all I got this time. Since you have monsters on your side and I don’t, I get to special summon my Cyber Dragon to the field in attack mode.”

Despite its size being enough to go out of the aura to crash one of the windows of the train car, the diamond dog howled in laughter, “That thing doesn’t have enough power to take out my monster.”

“True,” agreed the pony, “but I still didn’t normal summon this turn. And I chose my Dark Resonator to come to the field in attack mode.”

Applejack was taken in by the look of the creature. It was far different from the other monsters Draw had played up to this point. The black face grinned at its audience, even doing a little dance around the Cyber Dragon.

“Again you must jest pony,” cried the dog. “Even if you could do anything I activate my trap: Shadow Spell. “ Chains covered and wrapped around Draw’s Cyber Dragon. Even their spell was reeking of oil. Draw had to admit it was a really good spell to even be able to bring something as useless as smell to make these cards seem real.

Tornic continued, “With this it can’t attack with your Dragon and loses 700 attack points. So much for your big come back.”

Draw just shook his head, “I figured the fact you didn’t have an extra deck meant you had cards just that good, but it appears you don’t even know how to use one. See my Dark Resonator is a Tuner Monster. And Tuner monsters have quite the ability. You can sacrifice them and any monsters you wish from your field to summon a monster in your extra deck with a level equal to all the monsters’ combined level. And I count 8 from these two, which lets me summon Red Dragon Archfiend.”

The creature’s sheer size was enough that its cry shook all the dogs to the core. Applejack felt the sting of the blade digging deeper from the twitch her capture made. She expected these dogs to fear this thing as she did, but instead Draw’s opponent smiled.

This told the stallion all he needed to know. “Looks like I’m not done yet. So I play the spell: Double Summon. This lets me normal summon once again from my hand. So I summon Barrier Resonator in attack mode.” The imp looked odd even compared to its brother with a white hood instead of grey and smaller stature. None the less, Tornic still smiled. “Then I play yet another spell: Monster Reborn, to bring back Dark Resonator from my grave. With my two tuner’s levels equalling up to four stars and with Red Dragon Archfiend’s star level at eight, this allows me to synchro summon my most powerful beast: the level twelve Red Nova Dragon.”

Time itself seemed to be at a standstill as this creature floated above the train, far outside the orb’s range yet full and there in physical form, as if Draw Blank had really summoned him despite being an earth pony. Its master however remained focused on his task. “And his effect is quite good this time, with it he can’t be destroyed by any card effects controlled by my opponent. Also, for every tuner monster in my grave it gains 500 attack points, meaning 1000 more points from this. However I am still not done. I have one more card with a very special ability. He can only be summoned if there are exactly three dark type monsters in my grave. So with Dark Resonator, Red Dragon Archfiend, and my Witch of the Black Forest in my grave I can bring forth my Dark Armed Dragon.”

“He comes with a good effect too. By removing my three dark monsters I used to bring him out from play I can destroy your Dogs and your remaining face down.”

“Oh nelly,” said Applejack as the winds of dark matter the armed dragon leaked to engulf the two dogs and all the cards on Tornic’s side of the field appeared in his graveyard zone. Draw let out a small chuckle at this. In fact looking at Draw, Applejack saw his own blood colored eyes had grown even darker now, a wide grin crossing his face. She could tell he no longer remembered the incidents he was in. All he was caring about was destroying his opponent. It didn’t suit him.

“Now with nothing on the field, both of my monsters attack your life points directly.” The Dark Armed Dragon attacked first. It’s roar sending Tornic flying into Grumble who caught his fellow dog. However when the second attack came it was a burst of light from the nova dragon, Tornic ducted this and Grumble took the shot full in the face, causing him to lose balance and started falling off the train.

Draw: 5400 Tornic: 200

Draw blinked his eyes now normal as he saw this and left his cards near the orb to jump back and caught one of the large dog’s flailing paws while hanging from the ladder of the car. The force of which caused the pain in the limb that the Guard Dog bit to flair and a pop rang in his ears as all feeling in his limb seemed to loose strength.

“Tornic lays a card face down and end my turn.”

Draw grimaced, “Seriously? Could you help your friend here instead? I can’t even hold cards right now. I think I dislocated something.”

“Then pony gives up? Grumble is useless if he is dead weight. We only let him come because he is bigger. Let him drop.” As he said this the sound of the Train got clearer. If anything else was being discussed or said Draw couldn’t hear it. So instead he made a focused effort to pull the large Diamond Dog close enough to grab the ladder.

“Pony saved my life,” the low voice growled as he clutched his savior’s hoof and kissed it. “Grumble owes pony a great debt.”

“Yeah whatever,” said Draw holding his front right dislocated hoof. “Just stay there.” Draw looked past the dogs. Applebloom still had not shown up with anyone. He couldn’t even pull himself up and if he took too long that wound on Applejack would become a full gash that could kill her. “Actually, could you get your friends off the girl?”

“I can not,” said Grumble getting both feet on the ladder, “Grumble big and strong, but others have knives and are fast. They would cut pony’s throat before Grumble could stop the first one. Grumble can only recommend you keep stalling. We were sent to get something from pony and can’t leave without him losing duel. Others will not keep Tornic’s word about the female pony if it means getting you to duel them.”

“Why exactly does this all have to happen?” said Draw as Grumble pushed him up to get back on the train. Without the large dog the wind blasted his face hard. He had to close his eyes as he wobbled over and drew his card. He didn’t smile, it was all deadpan. “Foolish Burial, this spell lets me send any monster I want to the grave that isn’t already there from my deck. I choose Sangan. With that I can use my armed dragon’s power again. Games over when I attack.”

Whatever color Tornic had in his face dropped. He gulped. So did Draw. He didn’t know what to do. Tornic’s lackeys were not going to let Applejack go. Of this he was sure. Nopony else was coming and she didn’t have much time before that wound would start to effect her. He thought about how sad Applebloom would be, of all the friends Applejack boasted about at dinner. Only then did it hit him.

Draw looked at Applejack, “Tell you what Tornic. We both know full well that even when I attack and win, and you wouldn’t keep up your bargain about letting her go. So if you release her I will forfeit the match.”

“S-soul will still be needed,” said Tornic quickly in response. He was obviously afraid. Any wrong word on his part would mean his own death and he wasn’t exactly a dog born with a silver tongue.

“I’m aware of that,” said Draw biting his lip. He may have made a noble choice but it didn’t mean he had to take it like a stallion. Still he had to keep up appearances or Tornic would try to trick him into forfeiting to keep her alive. He tried his best to look fearsome.

Applejack could see that somehow he couldn’t get that face he had earlier. Then it occurred to her. “Wait, why would you do that? I an’t worth your life.”

“Actually,” replied Draw winking at her, “you are.” His head drooped as he noticed the doors start to open in the distance. Train security would be here soon but not soon enough with the knife to Applejack still. “You have a family and a decent job. I’m not exactly going to be as missed objectively speaking.”

“How c-can I trust pony?” Well at least it was fooling the target.

“I’m a stallion of my word. You walk away if you do as I say. That is, unless that orb doesn’t do what you guys said. Then you’ve just been pulling my leg just to do something stupid, and I’ve stalled you enough to get you guys arrested when train security shows up. Well?”

Tornic thought for what seemed like forever, but finally snapped and Applejack rushed to Draw’s side the instant she was released. Seeing her new friend lifting a hoof she tried to stop what he was about to do. The stallion smiled with a sad face and said, “Well if I am going, I think I better do something I wanted to do since I met you.” With that he planted a kiss on Applejack’s cheek, he wasn’t about to go for the lips he wasn’t sure she would want it, and pushed her away with his good hoof. Draw laid his lame one over his remaining cards in his deck and said loudly. “I Draw Blank surrender this match to Tornic!”

Instantly the black orb glow and the cards used by the both of them were sucked into it. Draw Blank didn’t even have time to register what happened before the other Diamond Dogs besides Grumble grabbed it and jumped off the train into the walls of the tunnel as they entered. “Grab the other decks.”

Applejack couldn’t see anything in the dark all she could hear was a laugh, half Draws and half something familiar as if she had heard it before. “Well now,” that familiar voice said without any Draw, “This makes things interesting.” And with that everything stayed dark for a long time.

***

By the time the orange cow pony was awake, morning came, and it came in through rays of light through a window. Her head felt like somepony went about and stomped on it a good couple of times before stopping, she struggled to keep her head balanced as her image was getting less groggy by the second. When she felt like her head was good enough to start moving it around freely, she noticed a familiar, scrawny stallion laying down on the floor, snoring.

“Oh thank Celestia you’re okay,” she said to the stallion on her floor. Her floor? This was her room. This caused her to 360 her comment along with a cry, “Why are you in my room?”

Draw Blank raised an eye, he wasn’t really asleep. “So, you can see me at least.”

Before Applejack could ask what he was talking about the door to her room swung open, right past Draw’s head. He disappeared. Big Mac stood in the doorway. “You okay there AJ?” The look on his face was one that Applejack had only seen a few other times. Big Mac wasn’t a Stallion of many words, unless it was talking to his siblings when he had worries. “Did your neck hurt ya or something?”

“My neck,” she said reaching a hoof to where the knife wound was. She felt a bandage, so everything wasn’t a dream. She rushed out of her room into the downstairs bathroom to look at herself in the mirror. She closed the door with a bang and pulled off the bandage.

There wasn’t a scar. A sickly line of green fur was there in a line along her neck.

“You know, for a country mare you sure jump to concern for your looks real quick.”

Applejack turned to see Draw Blanks head popping through of the restroom door, the rest of him on the other side of the wall.

Elsewhere, the sound of rustling papers were being made by none other then a blond maned earth pony stallion, Braeburn. His cow pony’s duster never looked more weathered and old, his eyes burning from having to look through certificates through all the night and now the morning. When he heard the shrill cry of a mare in distress, and a cry sounding too familiar, he dropped what he was doing and trotted at a brisk pace to his guest room. “Applejack? When did Y'all get back? Did something happen?” asked Braeburn in worry to the empty room. He looked around several times and shrugged before heading back.