• Published 23rd Jul 2012
  • 3,421 Views, 119 Comments

Love of the Draw. - Zoom zoom

  • ...
7
 119
 3,421

In Which Trixie Opens Her Big Fat Mouth

Chapter 7: In Which Trixie Opens Her Big Fat Mouth

With a whistle of Trixie’s trademark fireworks, the tournament began. Ponies soon started duels everywhere and the sounds of monster summoning could be heard in every corner of the town. Luna herself had stepped away to help keep any guards under control since Shining Armor was still off with his wife in their honeymoon. All was loud and busy except on the stage where Trixie had set the fireworks off, ironically. “Is something wrong?”

Trixie’s question had broken Twilight out of her train of thought. She shook her head before looking at her friend and responding. “What? Oh… sorry Trixie, I was just thinking about these cards Pinkie gave us before she left. I’m not even sure how we are supposed to use them. I don’t have any way to summon this in my deck without a serious alteration.”

Trixie looked down at her own card and said, “Well I can sort of use mine, though I don’t think I have any way to use this other effect and it would be useless to use in most cases with my deck too. It’s like she doesn’t even know what’s in our decks. What idiot thinks all the best duelist use cards that swarm the field most turns?”

“Hey,” said Twilight giving the blue unicorn a shove. “Pinkie is my friend, and you will not bad mouth her in front of me.” To emphasize her point she stomped a front hoof to the ground. This outburst took Trixie by surprise as she flinched, hoping that she wouldn’t attack her. When she seemed calmer she started talking again.

“Very well,” replied Trixie, recovering from Twilight’s anger. “Trixie shall rephrase: How can someone be so ignorant about our decks if they knew how we play? She’s seen you at least play a few times hasn’t she?”

“Sure we play at least once every two weeks,” agreed Twilight, “usually more.” Her brow lowered, “I think you may have something Trixie. Pinkie of all people loves this game and plays it all the time. How did she not know what cards to give us?”

“Who knows?” shrugged the show mare. “Trixie has not really had to chance to get to know her very well, but from what I do know she seems pretty… crazy. Maybe she had one of those… what did she call it? “Pinkie Sense”? She talked about that and just gave these to us because she thought something would happen to them.”

“Maybe,” said Twilight almost losing herself to the thought train again. “But I guess it does us no good to think about it for now. When we run into her again we should ask.”

“Agreed,” said Trixie. She looked around at the crowd of ponies now starting all their own duels. “I guess we better get started. I don’t wanna duel you for my first duel, such things should be saved for last, and I don’t like to disappoint the crowd. Let’s split up here and we can check in again in about an hour or so to see if either of us spots Pinkie.” Twilight nodded in agreement, and then both went their separate ways into the crowd.


Trixie scanned her audience from a respectable distance. She needed to find a proper dueling partner, picking someone too weak wouldn’t be good for her image, though picking someone better than she was is bad for her image too. So many choices were laid out for her right in front of her but she couldn’t tell which one was the rotten egg.

Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of an orange filly dueling on her scooter somehow as a Pegasus Followed her and the two guards did their best to spread their magic to fill the area they were circling. The crowd of ponies paying so much attention to this duel that Trixie felt compelled to do so as well. I mean, how could you ignore a duel on scooters? This was something very interesting, and new. Then again only Pegasuses would think up something this complicated to make the game more exciting when it didn’t need to be.

Scootaloo: 400 Snowflake: 8000

The orange filly licked her lips as the large Pegasus, who had more muscle than was necessary for a pony, ended his turn. “I active my trap: Miracle’s Wake! It lets me bring back a monster that was destroyed in battle this turn. So welcome back my Nitro Warrior.”

The move itself was a rather impressive display as the monster on the card came up and started floating next to Scootaloo, but there was one thing that made the moment a bit ruined, her opponent’s monster was bigger. It wasn’t even just because her opponent’s monster was bigger; the monster floating next to the large stallion was a ten star monster, The Wicked Dreadroot.

“Yeah,” called Snowflake. “Nice move, but that pathetic monster stands no chance against my monsters. I can’t wait to see how you end up losing it again.” Indeed with his own the Wicked Dreadroot on the field Nitro Warrior’s attack plummeted to 1400, not to mention the Summoned Skull also on the field next to the larger fiend.

“You think you’re so tough now?” replied the filly. “Well let’s see how good you are after my turn. And the first thing I’m gonna do is summon Junk Sychron.” The little guy popped out right next to Nitro Warrior, with a determined face that didn’t waver even when half of its attack points were reduced.

“He lets me summon a level two or lower monster from my grave when I normal summon him so how about I say hello once again to my Nitro Sychron. Next, I activate the effect of Level Eater in my graveyard to bring down Nitro Warrior’s level by one, making him a level six. Thanks to this effect I can special summon level eater from my graveyard. Then I play the Spell card Star Changer to reduce his level by one star yet again, making him a five. You following what I’m about to do yet big guy?” The buff pony blinked, unsure of what to do now or what she was getting at, muscle clouded his thought process.

Scootaloo did a 180 and started riding her scooter backwards in the circle as she continued. “I Tune my now level five Nitro warrior with my level three Junk Synchron in order to synchro summon the level eight Junk Destroyer!”

“Junk Destroyer has a particular set of skills, skills that would make this monster a nightmare for yours, those skills involve destroying the amount of monsters that synchro summoned with Junk Synchron. One monster, one card is gone, and with that Wicked Dreadroot gone, all of my monsters return to normal power.” Snowflake looked in shock as he saw the best monster in his deck get destroyed in a blast created by Junk Destroyer. He was screwed now, but he still had his summoned Skull and another turn coming. He could still turn this around.

“But I’m not done yet. I play my final card: De-Synchro, which splits my monster Junk Destroyer back into Nitro Warrior and Junk Synchron. Then I’ll tune my Junk Synchron with Level Eater in order to synchro summon level four Armory Arm.”

“With the effect of Armory Arm, I can equip it to any monster I control, thus I give my Nitro Warrior one thousand extra attack points, another bonus from Armory Arm. And since I used a spell this turn he also gets another thousand points but only in its next attack, and I’m not done yet!”

Snowflake looked very concerned at this point, what else could the little filly do at this point now? “Now with my level two Nitro Synchron and my level two Quiltbolt Hedgehog that I summon from my grave, I can synchro summon yet another Armory Arm. Good thing that you can equip the same monster twice, for that’s what I’m going to do!”

The sight of the Nitro Warrior monster with two giant claw gauntlets brought a bit of fear into the filly’s opponent, and gave the crowd a pleasing sight as the metal claws of Nitro Warrior tore through the skin and bone of Summoned Skull. In a flash it all went to hell for the stallion who felt the sting of the hologram magic hit him in a wave, his life points dropping.

Scootaloo: 400 Snowflake: 2200

“But next I activate my trap card, Synchro Overlimit! Whenever a synchro monster I controls attacks and destroys a monster, he can attack again this turn!” Right when the Nitro Warrior took up position in front of Snowflake, Scootaloo decided to add one more thing. “Oh, of course the synchro monster gets destroyed at the end of the turn, but you’re going to be gone long before it.” With a cross slash from the monster, Snowflake lost the duel. He stumbled and crashed to the ground from the blow to give his defeat emphasis.

The crowds soon died down as the orange filly was congratulated by her friends. “Yes,” thought Trixie, “she may do well as my first opponent. Then again she is just a child, if I win then I’d be seen as a bully and if I lose I’d be seen as weak with my status as one of the top duelist here. Looks like I might have to wait out for another player just in case.”

It was then the voice of Snowflake had caught her ear, almost screaming at a couple of cloaked figures. “This card was useless. It wouldn’t even work with that unicorn magic. I almost lost all my bits just so that school filly can beat me like a punching bag.” He held up one card that had looked important by a hoof, a trap card by the looks of it. The only way such a card wouldn’t work was if it was counterfeit.

There were cheaters in her tournament? Trixie didn’t care any longer about such things as picking an opponent. She needed to clear this up before it took down her entire tournament from the inside out. She focused her magic and winked in front of Snowflake in order to see who he was talking to and see what this was all about. Before her where two identical twin yellow unicorns in cosplays of the same monster, except one had red horns while the other had blue orbs stuck to their hats. It was obvious to Trixie, who was a master at seeing the little things in her audience: the two had suddenly changed their faces in an instant from a sly smile to mock confusion.

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” said the red horned unicorn. “Why, I have not seen you before in my life.” A blatant lie, why did it have to be so easy? The place was even an ally that shady deals would be easily done without security catching you. Just how obvious where these two going to be?

“Neither have I.” said the mustached twin. At this Trixie used her magic and pulled a card from the sleeve of the twin and the card Snowflakes was holding and looked at them both, while too separate cards both had the marks of being fakes. The same wrong font, same ink, same color. It was definitely made by the same pony. She showed the two the cards up close. The blue orb twin swallowed, “I can explain that.”

“Please do,” said Trixie putting on her best overpowering tone in the same way Princess Luna had used now and again in Canterlot. The horned twin simply laughed nervously as he pushed his brother away and at first seemed to urge him to run. Snowflake however cut off that escape.

“Now now,” said Trixie marching up to them. “It wouldn’t be good to cut and run. One should always make up for their mistakes. Trixie believes Trixie can strike you two a deal. You can either do one of two things: You can work for The Great and Powerful Trixie after the tournament and be banished from it otherwise….Or you could agree to duel Trixie for your right to stay.”

All three ponies blinked. “What?”

“It’s simple. If you beat Trixie you not only get both her silver bits but you get to stay and have the honor of being famous as you will be dueling me on the demonstration stage. The Great and Powerful Trixie shall even do you one better and bet you 2,000 bits that she can get through a duel with both of you without taking a single point of battle damage.” The words left Trixie’s lips before she could think about it. A smile crawled on both of the unicorn’s faces.

“You have a deal then,” said the horned Twin. “The name is Flim, and this is my brother Flam, business entrepreneurs of the highest caliber. And this will get quite the business for us. You my dear mare are on. Meet you at the stage in twenty minutes.

Trixie held back a gulp as the two winked away. Only then did she realize they had forced her into this without her noticing. Just how far had they planned all this? Snowflake it appeared was not part of this and Trixie put a hoof on his shoulder. She did her best not to show her own worry for her fast talking mouth and put as much confidence in her voice as possible. “Don’t worry. I’ll refund you as soon as I take care of those cheats.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay. Due to personal reasons my editor sort of couldn't get this chapter done and had to leave. He did do this chapter in full as I've cut what I did write in half for the sake of making it more cliff hangery and so it doesn't take too long while I edit the rest of the chapter.

For now comment away as you will get the second half later today or tomorrow likely with the chapter I just finished capping off the end of the year.

Again sorry for the wait guys and please with UltimateRuin009 the best.