• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 1,545 Views, 47 Comments

The Wild Man - Luckless



He's had enough of human society, so can the ponies give him a good home?

  • ...
11
 47
 1,545

Chapter 8

Author's Note:

I'm considering a romance between Brian and Midnight, but I'll leave it up to you guys if you want it to happen or not because I'm a bit indecisive about it. Let me know in the comments!

Oh, Shattered_Moon, I know it isn't really all that funny (unless you count the insults) but I hope this covers it!

Brian

I woke up at 6 and well before dawn, just like always. After reminiscing over the successful hunt yesterday and how excited Midnight had been over my little demonstration, and her enjoyment over the deer and beaver. I was also happy about how I'd gotten a fair amount of animal furs that I could work with. The deer hide was the most productive, giving me a few square feet of material to work on preserving. However, the beaver would be something that I would have to be imaginative in using. Maybe a small bag?

My thoughts ended as I finally addressed the fact that I was meeting the ponies today. I had my plan of where to wait, and what to do when they showed up. First, though, I was going to brew my coffee, treat the skins with salt again and replace the water. I didn't have a brewer, so I roughed it like always. I boiled the water, let it sit for 30 seconds, and sprinkled in ground coffee. I stirred a bit, let it sit a little, then stirred again. I dripped in some stream water, stirred again, let it sit, and poured my coffee into a 40 ounce coffee mug. What? I like my coffee. I paid special care to use a mesh strainer to filter out the coffee grounds, which I tossed as soon as I'd finished pouring.

I got the last of what I needed, my black trench coat, my shotgun with buckshot loaded (cuz you can never be too careful), my rainhat that I wore the first day I saw the ponies, a pair of binoculars, and a small bag of meat I'd cooked last night. I left my site, closing the door and ensuring everything was taken care of. I arrived at the meeting place, and got into a position that they'd never think to look, and would scare the crap out of them when I revealed myself.

Let's get this shit over with.

Twilight

Midnight came by later that day, and by the looks of it, had eaten with the human Brian. With her, she brought wonderful news! Brian agreed to meet, but under some strange conditions. It could only be us, plus one other who couldn't be a unicorn, we had to come in a line, take no weapons with us, had to come in a line, bring no nets, there couldn't be anypony flying around within sight of the Everfree, and it had to be at sunrise tomorrow.

I had already gathered the girls, plus the commanding officer of the guard in the town and the mayor.

"So what is it that has you calling us here?" Asked Mayor Mare.

"The creature, also known as Brian, has agreed to meet us on the border of the Everfree Forest. He's set a list of conditions for the meeting. First, we arrive at sunrise." Rainbow groaned. As I proceeded down his list, everypony grew increasingly uneasy.

The commander spoke up, "This sounds much to much like an ambush. We're arriving in the morning, so the sun will be in our eyes and we can't see too well. With his weapons, and allowing him to see you arriving in a line, we're providing perfect targets. Not to mention we'll be in his territory, so he'll know exactly where to go and where to hide and wait in. Keeping his history in mind, I find this highly likely. Him allowing another pony coming seems more like a small concession to get us to come."

Fluttershy, of all ponies, decided to dispute this, albeit softly, "It sounds more like he's trying to avoid capture again. He knows that he's being hunted, so the best option for his freedom would to get us to leave him alone willingly. He didn't want there to be any extra unicorns, and no nets, two of the biggest threats to him being able to run."

Applejack grunted in acknowledgement, "That makes sense tuh me. It's a smart move if it works."

"But did he really have to want sunrise? Couldn't it be midday or something?" Rainbow whined, abhorrent to the idea of waking up a few hours earlier than normal.

Collectively, we sighed and rolled our eyes, "Honestly, darling, it wouldn't hurt you to wake up a little earlier. I understand a lady needing her beauty sleep, but you bring it to a whole new level." Rarity bemoaned.

The Mayor spoke for the first time, "Twilight, I understand why you brought your friends and the Commander here, but what do you need from me?"

"I need you to call a town meeting, and alert all ponies to stay away from the Everfree and for the pegasi especially to remain on the ground. Since you have the greatest authority that they recognize, and wouldn't panic to. You are our best option with Brian's demands towards the extra ponies not being seen to be met." I turned to address the Commander, "I would like to know if you want a guard to come with us. Would you?"

He nodded, "I would. I already have a pony in mind. Swift Steel is his name. He's our fastest pegasi here, and proficient with a crossbow. He was also not around for the altercation between the guard and Brian, so he will have the least amount of personal bias against him."

"Good, good. Have him come over just before dawn, and we'll head over to the meeting place. Does anypony have any questions?" No one spoke up, "Then meeting adjourned. Girls, you can stay if you'd like." My friends nodded, while the Mayor and the Commander left.

The day dragged on, and we spent most of it nervously wondering what would happen tomorrow, and trying to describe to Rarity and Pinkie Pie what Brian was like from our experiences.

"He's going to be very twitchy, so don't move too fast, and don't try to surprise him. Pinkie, that goes double for you."

"Aaaaw! But I wanted to give him a surprise welcome to our world party!"

"If all goes well, then we'd just need to give him some time to trust us and then you could give him a party. But that means everypony must be on their best behavior." Rarity consoled Pinkie, while shooting a glare at Rainbow and Applejack, who looked away ashamed. After a moment of drilling holes in their heads, Rarity asked, "What did you say he looked like again?"

Fluttershy, having the best memory when it came to the differences between animals and other races besides pony, took the opportunity to utilize her knowledge, "He looks a bit like an ape, but also much different. He stands upright on his back feet, and is nearly completely hairless except on his head, parts of his face, groin area, and armpits. He has hands, like Minotaurs, but more dexterous. But most of it you might not be able to see because he wears clothing all the time."

Rarity sucked in a dramatic gasp, "CLOTHES! ALL THE TIME! Tell."

Fluttershy wilted under Rarity's intense gaze, and I figured that she wouldn't be able to answer, so I did, "He wore boots on his feet, pants to cover his legs, a shirt for his chest, and a long button coat that went down to just below his knees. He also wore a strange combination between a hat and a mask that hides his face."

Rarity's face drooped, "Egh! What horrible taste in fashion! It appears he will need to learn what is fashionable here."

Rainbow weakly chuckled, "Yeah, I don't think he's going to care. Twilight, do you really think I need to go? I'm the last pony he's gonna want to see."

Applejack nodded in agreement, "Yeah, we hurt him real bad. I don't think it'd be wise for us tuh come."

"No, his terms said that all of us were to show up. That means that you're coming with the rest of us."

"Yeah, but what if when he sees me and AJ, he flips out!? What if, because we come, everything is ruined?"

"If you don't come, it'll be ruined anyhow. It's best to have a chance than to give up without trying." More idle chat pursued until night fell, and we fell asleep.

When we woke up in the morning, packed a lunch for us and several food stuffs that Brian might like, and met Swift Steel, who had just arrived at the library. We quickly informed him of all he needed to know, and we headed off, with more than a little of Applejack and Rainbow Dash trying to convince the rest of us for them to stay. Needless to say, their efforts were futile, and they stayed with us. When we came to the intersection, we got into the specified line, and continued on towards the Everfree.

When we approached the tree line, Brian wasn't there. Besides the trees and bushes, there wasn't anything here. We were maybe 20 feet away from the treeline when a figure dropped from the tree canopy into the middle of the path. Everypony let out a short gasp of fright, taking an instinctive step backwards.

It was Brian, wearing the same clothes he'd wore the first day, and with a different weapon strapped to his back.



Brian

I dropped from the branches that I'd made my stay on, bringing with me my coffee in hands, and landed on the ground, coming to a knee with my head bowed. The ponies gasped, startled. Looking up, I saw what I'd already seen from nearly 300 yards away. One guard (who I didn't recognize from the guards that had attacked me), and the 6 Elements.

My eyes locked onto the two who had nearly killed me, and I was alarmed to how angry I became just looking at them. I balled my fists, and breathed loudly and angrily, trying to both convey and settle my anger. The ponies flinched, but stood where they were. I took off my hat, and stuffed it in my pocket.

"What do you want?" I kept my tone level and emotionless, trying to further calm myself despite how little it seemed to do. Seriously, calm down.
Being angry ain't gonna help you.

The purple one spoke up nervously, "Hello Brian, m-my name is Twilight Sparkle. This is Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Applejack. We're here to... well, apologize for how our first meeting went." My anger vanished only to be replaced with an odd bit of confusion and gratitude. I never known anyone to apologize for hurting me, but I still appreciated this first.

Twilight looked over to Rainbow and Applejack, giving them a nod. They stepped forwards, Applejack took off her hat, holding it to her chest while bowing her head, and Rainbow looked down at the ground, slouching.

"I know that it doesn't really make up for it, but, I am sorry Brian. You caught me off guard, but it ain't no excuse to react like that. I hurt you badly, and I don't know if I can ever make it up to you. Could you ever forgive me?" I listened to Applejack's words, how it fluctuated with pained words. It was clear to me that she deeply regretted what she'd done, even though all she'd done was break my nose. I'd had worse done to me, even if it has seemed unwarranted.

"In time, I believe so."

Rainbow Dash went next, "Yeah... uh, I'm sorry about electrocuting you bro. We cool?" She offered up a weak smile.

That's it? Really? That apology was really short, and an almost 180 compared to Applejack's.

I narrowed my eyes, "I'm not so sure you understand what you've done, Rainbow Dash. You nearly KILLED me. In fact, I'm lucky to be alive! It's like a one in a 1,000 odds for me to have survived a lightning strike. And you act like we're lifelong friends, and this was some prank in bad taste?" My brows were furrowed, her short "apology" having irritated me with the insincerity. It was enough that she nearly killed me, but now she couldn't at least attempt to make a good "I'm sorry".

"Hey, I apologized. This is where you forgive me. I don't know if they have this on your planet or whatever, but once someone apologizes, you forgive them." She was furrowing her brows now too, even though she didn't have a reason.

That arrogant little bitch! "Yeah, and where I'm from, you have to mean it when you say you're sorry, and you work to gain back the trust you lost. When you give a halfhearted, forced apology, it means nothing!"

"Now hold o-" Twilight began, but Rainbow was already starting up again.

"Are you calling me a liar?!" She growled as she closed the distance between us and shoved her face in mine.

"I'm saying you either don't care, or you're insincere." I growled right back.

She quickly eyed my clothes, "You look uncomfortable. Why don't you slip into something more comfortable, like a coma?" She asked angrily. Everypony there gasped in shock, which was becoming really irritating now.

"That the best you've got? HA! I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and STILL shit out a better insult than that! If I wanted to kill myself, I'd jump from your ego to you IQ! I'd explain that to you, but I've neither got the crayons, nor the time to draw it out for you!"

*SLAP*

"You jerk!" She screamed.

I lightly touched my cheek, where the hoof had hit me. I tasted iron in my mouth, so it would seem that she split it open on the inside, "Oh, you shouldn't have done that." I hissed. I balled my fist, and before she could react, I absolutely leveled her. Her head snapped the other way like a rubber band, and she hit the ground limply. For a second, I wondered if I'd killed her with that punch by how she fell. But after a second, she moaned in pain, and rolled over.

I looked up to the group, who were looking at me with horror in their eyes. I flipped them off, "Get your poor excuse of a friend, and leave me alone. I'm going home."

I turned to go home, but stopped when Twilight stuttered something out. "What?"

"W-we're sorry about our friend. Just know, that if you ever want to come into town, you'll be welcome."

I snorted, an odd, out of place smile crept across my face, "Yeah, right. I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. We both really know that I won't be accepted, especially by your friend on the ground." I didn't let her reply as I stomped off into the forest, rubbing my head trying to alleviate the building pressure and migraine.

I'm so fucking done. This is a job for Everclear Vodka! May it wipe the whole damn hard drive that is my brain.