• Published 14th Dec 2017
  • 6,841 Views, 149 Comments

Ancient Twilight - demonbaker



Twilight Sparkle progressed through magic and eventually ascended to become the deity of Time itself. This story isn't about that, its about what happens when she takes a vacation.

  • ...
15
 149
 6,841

Chapter 6

About 50 years later.

"Faster." Bolts of magic hammer into Clover's shield of ice, whittling down the barrier a little at a time. "Ice magic excels at control, limit the options of the opponent."

This little 'sparring match' was meant to test how much she has learned.

So far all clover has learned is that she is no match for the might of an alicorn.

Seems that reading the grimoire and understanding it are two very different things. Her mind is full of too many possible spells to try and gets bogged down with indecision.

And despite her best efforts Time has yet to move from the spot she started from, a series of small craters and patches of frozen ground surround her as she fires blast after blast of golden energy into Clover's wall of ice.

Slowly the bolts begin to wear down the barrier as Clover dives to the side, summoning a path of ice ahead of her to slide on. Her horn glows icy blue as she summons four large icicles and sends them flying toward Time, seeking to impale the Alicorn.

They didn't even reach halfway, controlled bursts of flame melt them into the lukewarm water that splashes harmlessly at the alicorn's feet. "Faster." Time waves a hoof and summons dozens of icicles in the time it took Clover to make four, with a flick of her hoof she sends them after Clover who opts to make a small ramp, flying over them as she fires a blast of cold at the Alicorn.

Time simply flicks a wing and deflects the bolt to the side, making a new crater while Clover lands and sighs in exasperation. Panting from the magical exertion Clover glares at the newly made crater. "You have got to teach me how to use magic without a horn. So far this seems like an unfair advantage."

"That is the point, my student." Time's expression changes to a smirk. "This was never a fair match, even after I gave myself numerous handicaps."

Time absently draws a rune in the ground with a hoof, looking at it Clover sees that its the spell rune for 'Ice'. "You grasp the core concepts of Ice, but you need to work on your speed. There are millions of applications of ice magic, you simply have to be able to choose the best one for the situation your in."

Seeing that Clover is on the verge of getting frustrated Time holds up a hoof to placate her. "I will show you how to use magic without a horn." Taking a step she finally moves from the spot she was 'sparring' with clover from, a well-worn indentation in the ground serving as a reminder that she wasn't even forced back a single step.

Choosing to ignore the evidence of her failure Clover turns her full attention to her mentor. For her part Time gives a simple explanation. " Although it's easier for alicorns to manage this, any race is capable of it." Time begins to pace as she gets into 'lecture mode', something that Clover is quite used to at this point. "For unicorns, the horn is the easiest place to channel magic from, it has the most connections to their manaflow, and it serves as our primary focus." Conjuring a floating image of a pony with lines of light moving through it. "You are well acquainted with how one's magic can change them over time."

Clover nods, looking down at her body, she now looks almost pale, her fur colored grey at the base only to slowly shift to a light blue near the tip, she's also noticed that even when she's not actively focusing her magic she has an aura of cold around her that lowers the ambient temperature near her. Even her magic's color now resembles a light blue after so long channeling ice magic.

"Before I continue, I'm going to require that you never teach another how to use this without my permission. It sets ponies too far apart, this knowledge in the wrong hands can make them a nearly unstoppable foe for the rest of Equestria to handle.

"Yes, teacher." Normally, that is enough but Time pauses and shakes her head this time. "Not this time. You're going to have to do more than just agree." Time's eyes lock onto Clover's "You will have to accept a Geass."

Clover is shocked at this, her limited knowledge of dark magic only giving her the most basic understanding of the 'king's command' spell. Looking at Time with a confused expression she simply asks. "Why?"

Time begins pacing. "I've noticed that you've changed over the years I've taught you. While you've only mastered a small portion of it so far, I've derailed history quite a bit already. This will ensure you play your part without changing too much."

For Clover it's a no-brainer, she was already convinced she wouldn't be allowed to share much of what she learned, giving up a bit of freedom to learn another fundamental aspect of magic doesn't phase her in the least. Looking Time deep in the eyes to show her determination she nods. "Do it."

As soon as she says this she regrets staring into Time's eyes so closely, she's given a first-hand view as Time's eyes begin to darken, turning noxious green. Purple mist begins to flow from her eyes giving her a more 'Evil' appearance as Time steps closer. "Very well." Time's horn begins to glow a copper color but that slowly darkens to a black, tarlike magic. Black lightning sparks into the air around her. When the spell is complete a blast of black magic strikes Clover in the chest, causing her to wince in pain as a rune begins to glow above her skin. The rune appears to be a complex binding glyph written in Old Unicornan...a language long thought to be dead.

"First, unless your life is in danger you are not to share any magic past the tenth page of the Grimoire without my permission." A sound similar to that of a lock clicking shut comes from the rune as it shifts slightly, growing more complex as a line of glyphs explaining the first command in ancient unicornian appears on the outer ring. "Second, You are not to take any action that will prevent the timeline from following its correct course." Another twist of the rune floating above her chest accompanies this one, the second line of glyphs appearing inside one of the inner rings. "And third, You are not to use Hornless magic without permission unless your life is in immediate danger. It shall be a complete last resort." A final lock twists the rune and the final command appears in the center, flashing with black lightning and sinking past Clover's fur and fusing with the skin beneath. Clover's mind is filled with the distinct sound of shackles locking into place. Testing the limits of the spell she finds that she feels minor pain whenever she even THINKS about breaking the commands. As she gets used to it she notices the rune is no longer glowing, though by moving her grey-blue fur she can still see it on her skin, now fused permanently to her body.

Giving her student time to grow accustomed to the Geass, Time goes back to her image of a pony. "A unicorn's horn is a focal point for their manaflow. But since the manaflow moves through the entire body, you can use other parts to focus the magic." Holding up one hoof Time forces magic to gather in it. nothing happens for several moments but soon enough her hoof is glowing the distinct coppery color that Time's magic possesses. "This is the first step, gathering enough magic to cast a spell. The hard part is weaving it into a spell matrix. The final step is to do it fast before the gathering magic begins to glow. Master this final step and you will be doing true hornless magic."

Clover is looking at her hoof and trying to focus, so far her manaflow refuses to change, simply flowing past the limb instead of infusing it with magic. Time softly places her hoof on top of Clover's, breaking her concentration and forcing her to stop. "I'll show you the trick later, just know that this comes with risk, you can blow out your manaflow, causing your magic to leak out into the world before you can harness it. The result is that you will be without magic until it naturally heals."

of course it wouldn't be that easy.

Time releases clover's hoof and heads back to their humble home for fifty years. "Come, I'm sure you're hungry after all that work."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clover heaves a great sigh of relief as she leaves the cave of harmony. Her friends had asked questions about her changed appearance, but she was able to reassure them it was simply a side effect of learning ice magic. Walking back to the clearing where she met Time all those years ago she looks around.

Not finding what she seeks at first glance she looks again, this time much slower, letting her eyes roam over the clearing at a slow pace.

There! a spot near the edge of the clearing that her eyes skip over, a telltale sign of a 'notice me not' charm. Channeling magic into her horn she pierces the spell. A few moments later she's suddenly aware of a Purple alicorn looking intently at a small colony of bugs that have made a nest. She's got a notepad floating next to her, the glow of magic absent from the air as usual.

Clearing her throat she gets her mentor's attention, the alicorn seeming to vanish and reappear directly in front of Clover making her jump back. "Aaah!"

At least Time has the decency to look apologetic as she waits for Clover to recollect herself.

When she's ready Clover smiles. "It went fantastically! they were worried something had cursed me, but I managed to convince them I'm fine. We even told stories for a few hours." Thinking back on it Clover notices something that was bugging her inside the cave. "I seem to be more sensitive to heat, the campfire we had going was making me too hot and It didn't even look like that big of a fire."

Time nods. "Your body and magic are attuned to cold, it will take some time to get used to warmer temperatures." Looking clover's grey/blue body over Time sighs. "I'm afraid that you will never be fully comfortable in warm rooms again. A frost aura spell will work for that though." Clover nods to this as another voice comes across the clearing.

"Clover? Where have you gone to dear?" Turning into the direction of the voice Clover sees Princess Platinum heading toward her.

"Ah! There you are, who is it you're talking...too...." Looking around the clearing the Unicorn rulers' eye twitches slightly. "SHOW yourself!" The princess stands proud as she scans the clearing. "I will not have anyone I cannot observe in my presence!" She stamps her hoof with authority as she begins channeling a counterspell.

Time sees the danger and begins to slip out of time, but a gentle pull on her mane causes her to stop. looking over she sees clover's magic gripping her softly. "Stay, Teacher. You know the other two are going to wake up soon, its best the secret get out so that they can make a smooth transition." Pointing to the sun above them she emphasizes her point by bringing attention to the moon that was rising slowly over the horizon as the sun remains at its apex.

I'ts going to happen sooner or later Nodding Time acquiesces to Clover's demand and stops trying to vanish. Meanwhile Platinum is staring at Clover, her mouth forming the word 'teacher'. Even before Time can consider where the unicorns thoughts will take her she jumps to the worst case scenario.

"Starswirl! It is so nice to finally meet you, do forgive my boldness, but I wish to gaze upon you. " Gritting her teeth Time patiently waits for the storm that is about to break as Platinum finishes her spell.

"I do believe we have not had the opportunity to meet, I am Princess Plaaaaaa" The white unicorn's eyes are locked on Time, her mouth hanging open and continuing to produce sound as her mind plays catch up with what she's seeing. Her gaze moves from Time's face to the wings resting comfortably at her side.

Platinum is known to be many things, a fair ruler, her elegant poise, not to mention her undeniable dignity.

She also happens to be a VERY well known alicornite.

The gears finally stop grinding to a halt in her mind and she drops into a bow so suddenly her crown falls from her head. "Aaaaaalicorn! I'm so sorry, please forgive my rudeness! I-I didn't mean to gaze upon your form without permission! I just assumed that when Clover said 'Master'...." Her spiel runs to another grinding halt as she realizes that Clover was speaking to an alicorn of all things. She glares at Clover and askes in a harsh whisper. "Why are you not bowing! that is an Alicorn! one of the creators of everything!"

And this is why I wanted to leave, she reminds me so much of Rarity. Doing her best to not grimace Time clears her throat. "There is no need to bow Princess Platinum, you will ruin your crown." The object in question lifts from the ground and lands on the bowing unicorn's head. Eventually, she works up the nerve to rise from her prostrate position and look's at Time, her eyes shining with pure joy.

Time never did enjoy hero worship, even back when she was just a simple princess. "My..."She looks to clover who gives her a nod of encouragement. "Student here convinced me to show myself and let you finish your spell." Time gives a rueful smile. "And, while I was present for the creation of the world, I took no part in creating it. That was left to the other two." Time points a hoof at the moon rising on the horizon. "The other two are about to wake up from their long sleep, They should be here shortly."

The look of pure happiness from Platinum is enough to give Time a twinge of uneasiness. She has to remind herself she just confirmed a long-held belief that alicorns created the world, and told the princess that there were two more coming.

Probably shouldn't mention Life and Death to her.

Time pointedly looks up at the sky, probing the magic of the sun and the moon...of course, touching the sun gives Time a twinge of pain, the glowing orb's anger still apparent. The moon for her part simply felt like she appreciates the company.

It wouldn't be long now.

"I do believe it's time my student and I go greet the other two when they wake." Time decides it is best to not give platinum the opportunity to ask for an audience as well, simply pulling herself and her student through the timestream to a point in space above them. Casting a small spell so that her student can breathe this far from Equus, she waits with her student for the appearance of the other alicorns.

Far in the skies above Equestria, something happens that hasn't occurred in the entire history of the planet. The moon rises from its side and enters its sister's daytime domain, climbing into the sky to coincide with the Sun's path. A long shadow covers the planet as the sun's light is all but blocked by the moon.

A solar eclipse. The first in Equestria's recorded history leaves the world confused and afraid. Far above the planet, standing in the shadow cast by the moon Time and her student wait for the alicorns to appear. The first one to appear is Celestia, rising from her charge wreathed in flame. Her mane and tail ablaze with light and wings of fire spread wide in her wake. She gives a heated glare at Time but flaps her firey wings and flies toward the shadow that Time and Clover are in. She gives a curious glance to the Unicorn by Time's side but files it away for later review.

The next to appear is Luna. A ball of pure shadow rises from the surface and launches toward Celestia. When the black orb finally begins to fade the menacing true form of Luna is revealed.

A mane made of blue stars flows around her, bat-like wings spread out from her black-furred body. Soon enough Luna's eyes open to reveal they are draconic slits, she smiles at her sister a pair of fangs peeking over her lower lip.

When time turns to her student to introduce her student to the alicorns she sees a flash as seven large icicles fly toward Luna, catching the alicorn by surprise and impaling the dark alicorn, a spray of blood fills the space around her as she coughs in pain, blood leaking from her lips as she looks down to see her chest is full of frozen pillars of ice.

Horseapples.

She taught clover a bit too well.

Author's Note:

Not as much editing work for this one, if you see any glaring issues send me a private message showing where it is, and I'll try to fix it.

I really need someone to help me edit the mess that is my writing if anyone is willing to step up and help me feel free to do so.

I think I'm getting to the point where I can't do this alone anymore.