• Published 12th Dec 2017
  • 1,844 Views, 96 Comments

Twilight's Element - Lorhelei



Twilight is dead. But not her soul. She now resides in the mind of another pony in a new and peaceful Equestria. It's great, isn't it?

  • ...
4
 96
 1,844

Chapter 5: The place we use to know

<And~ where are we going now?>

Emerald and Aurantia walked down the stairs, out of Twilight’s Library, both, with a smile, and a new direction thanks to the dragon that now was managing the crystal castle in Ponyville.

Downstairs, creatures were going in and out, carrying books of all kind and sizes with them: on claws, hands, paws, mouths, hooves and even magic. The knowledge of the entire world was on that castle, meticulously organized and categorized, and as the two mares walked out of it, the Princess of Friendship thought back, and thought about the future, one that she now knew she made real.

Emerald looked back. A single tear rolled through her cheek as she saw what for her was an unknown castle with her heart full of pride, happiness, and a bright on her eyes that she didn’t knew she had.

Outside of that library, Aurantia and Emerald found themselves watching their backs, searching for eyes on the walls and the sky, just to notice that no creature payed attention to the mare that talked with herself and the yellow changeling with silver brooches on her long black hair. Only a few saw those silver spiders and gasped, yet, no creature came close to talk with them.

After turned back, Emerald replied, “we are heading to the train station,” she said. “It’s the only way to the Crystal Empire these days,” continued, her hooves loudly shifting between the crystal floor of the library stairs to the concrete of the street below, “don’t you remember about, you know, those things we just discussed with Mr. Spike?” she said with a grin. “And I am the one who sleeps, ha!”

Aurantia tilted her head, at the same time, Emerald’s ear twitched.

<I do remember!> replied Twilight, a smile on her face as she happily remembered somepony that had a similar behavior, <but I thought the train station was at the other side of the town, to the north, at the Friendship express, why are we heading south?>

Almost instantly, Emerald stopped. Her wings and eyes wide open. “Nononono. We are not going into that station,” she said, shaking her head. “We have-” she lifted her arm around Aurantia, the last, raising a brow, not knowing what was suddenly happening, “-Miss Aurantia here. She has a special permission to use the other station at will, along with some acquaintance of hers, if she knows what I mean,” her brows going up and down rapidly.

The yellow changeling giggled, taking off Emerald’s arm gently. “I don’t really like to use it, I did it once only because my mother insisted. A lot. It was many years ago when I first came to Ponyville,” she took her brooch out of her hair, showing the shining silver spider on it. “It will be my pleasure to help, I’m glad to see that I can be useful with this, amm, thing?”

<What is that?> asked Twilight, trying hard to see the brooch that Aurantia had on her hooves from the corner of Emerald’s eyes.

Emerald ear twitched. “Oh, that is like an identification. She, as member of the prestigious Argiope Family, is allowed to do many things when outside of her hive,” answered Emerald, with a smug smile heavily planted on her face. “Did I mention how prestigious her family is? I think I did,” she said with a small laugh.

Twilight’s question went unnoticed by Aurantia, she wanted to ask what Twilight said, but instead, she bumped Emerald’s side, carefully.

Aurantia laughed, “stop that!” she said, “I told you I don’t like to use my family prestigious name. My mom will never stop saying ‘I told you’ if she knows I had to use it! Just imagining her voice saying:” -she stopped doing mimics with her hoof, her voice turning more and more raspy and fast, “'You should have never left our precious Hive my sweet little girl, we have everything here! and those! - those creatures might—”

Emerald heard that each-word-higher voice, interrupting her immediately. “Calm down,” said Emerald. “Don’t worry, Tia. I know. I was joking. Nothing more,” she said, her smile now gone, “besides… I would never use your family like that. I don’t want your mom bugging me all day with her messages, you know?” Tia giggled, and also did Twilight. “But… can we use it for this li-i-ittle trip?” she said, slowly getting closer to her friend, “I usually would fly my way through, but you know how the Crystal Empire is. They are all security and safety and ‘no fly’ thing,” continued Emerald, her ear twitching a moment after. “Oh, right. A couple of years ago, they suddenly ceased all their visits. No creature can get in or out without proper papers or some kind of license, which of course I don’t have, I think, I don’t really know, maybe being a Wonderbolt gave me that license, maybe? Tia knows better… Probably. Tia?”

The little changeling tilted her head once again. Trying to figure out what the question was in first place. “Is she asking about the Crystal Empire enclosure?”

“Yeap, she is,” nodded Emerald, eyes closed.

From behind her translucent-yellow wings, Tia took the brown notebook she had and passed across pages and pages of notes. “It was after Shining Armor’s funeral. No creature really knows why. Some said that the King Shining Armor left some kind of instructions for the Queen. Others said that his death was too much for her to bear and she didn’t want to see anycreature else. I now think that is because of what Spike told us…”

Emerald ear twitched once again while Aurantia stored her notebook. Emerald only said: “I’m sorry,” before some sadness were poured into her.

A few seconds passed, Aurantia waited for Emerald to walk as her ear twitched a couple of times. Few creatures noticed the apparent ‘tick’ that the green mare had, even so, most of them only smiled at it.

Aurantia smiled. “So, what did she said?” Asked Tia, more curious, than concerned.

"She said that…–” Emerald turned to her friend’s face, only to see her huge smile, expecting. “Wait, how did you know she said something?!” she said, not noticing her own volume.

“Your ear, silly. It twitches whenever the Princess talks,” she replied with a smile and getting closer to Emerald to walk at her side as close as she could.

“I do?! I mean, it does?! Why no creature told me!” said Emerald, her hooves in the air. “Agh!”

Aurantia smiled. A memory coursing through her mind as she saw Emerald. “Why? I think is cute,” she said.

“Because-… Wait, what?” asked Emerald, her hooves making a loud sound on the street.

“Well… Yes?” replied Tia, tilting her head, “why wouldn’t-”

“I-I mean, what if my captain sees it as a-a… a genetic flaw or something!” her eyes began to dart from side to side, not looking for a suspect, but for anyone that could watch her face. “T-They would fire me f-from the Wonderbolts!”

<They would? Isn’t that a bit extreme?>

“They are extreme! The Wonderbolts only allows the best of the best! I already have a… emm… record with them… One more mistake, and I’ll be fired… Probably…”

Aurantia ears fell flat. “Was because of me… was it?”

“No, no… It’s… It is something else. Don’t worry…” she replied, stopping in an instant.

They both shared a heavy silence. Even Twilight keep quiet as the cheerful atmosphere disappeared into thin air.

A few moments passed by. Twilight had troublesome feelings. Some didn’t belong to her, some didn’t make sense, and some that she already had. And for those she already knew, she knew what to do.

Emerald ear twitched. She nodded, and fixed her eyes on her friend.

It’s okay, Tia. Everything is going to be okay! I swear,” said Emerald, as she began to walk again with a big smile, Aurantia following her a moment after with a little grin growing on her face. “So… Miss Aurantia, which train do you want to have your travel, Milady?” asked Emerald, smiling at her friend.

Aurantia didn’t answer, a few seconds passed. Her eyes misty as she held that genuine smile. “W-We… should go on the Friendship Express. After all, we should try to caught the less attention possible.”

“You’re right in that aspect, I mean, you’re always right, but~, consider the following: Fluffy cushions, delightful food, great service. Just think of them, and that they are waiting for us on that train. Just saying,” her smile slowly growing as they both keep walking the crowded street.

Aurantia eyes went wide as she remembered her first and only travel on that train. She recalled the food, the seats, the soundless atmosphere and the incredible view it has of Ponyville and the mountains around. She wanted to see that again, she always wanted, but not enough to leave. “I know… I know,” she said, biting her lips, “but… What if we caught somecreature attention?” she said taking off the silver brooch. “I mean, that train is pretty showy…”

Emerald smiled. She bumped Tia’s side and lent her head close to her “Wouldn’t be even more showy ‘the lesser of the Argiope family’ using the Friendship Express?” replied, still smiling, her volume down as well as her pace.

“But…”

“Please~ Just this time. I had never use that train! I want to see it at least one… Please? I mean, Please~?” She wiped her eyes and arranged her feathers as fast as she could. The bloodshot she had was already fading, and even if her eyes seemed tired and her face dirty, she still had that same bright that Aurantia always loved to see.

Tia sighed and closed her eyes. She breathed in, slow, as if the world would stop if she took enough time. The moment she opened her eyes, that puppy eyes were still there. “You are getting confident because the Princess is here, don’t you?” said Aurantia, a brow raised while she tried to contain her laugh.

“Maybe?” replied Emerald, cleaning the dust of her tum and looking at the little changeling with a guilty smile, a moment after, Emerald ear twitched a couple of times. Gesture that Aurantia caught clearly.

“And what does she say?” asked Tia, a little smile growing on her face.

“She? Emhh… Nothing, no. She said it’s okay if you want to.”

Her ear twitched again.

Aurantia laughed, calmly while covering her smile with her hoof at the obvious lie. “Well, if she insists~” she said, picking up her brooch and put it on her hair. She turned to Emerald, a huge grin painted on her face, “let’s go, Princess, I’ll tell you everything I can about Ponyville and how much it changed! I really hope you like it,” she said, winking at Emerald.

It was fast, and unexpected. For Emerald, that gesture didn’t mean anything special, but inside, Twilight was laughing.

Emerald face shows her confusion as she switched her eyes between Tia and the empty void that was Twilight’s image on her mind. “What… What did I miss?”

<Nothing,> Twilight giggled.

“Nothing,” Tia giggled.

Emerald made a frown and walked at Aurantia’s side, still thinking about what did just happened. They laughed, they disagreed, they smiled and they went through sadness in just minutes.

That fated morning, Emerald didn’t want to see Aurantia in the morning. Now, they both were smiling, she was happy, she felt happy. That day, the three were walking to the south of a new Ponyville, going down the street, leaving Twilight’s Library behind of them along with their own houses.

They three, smiling at the little things that made their life worthwhile, and their friendship special.


<You know, Emerald. She reminds me of my, well… Old friends.>

The crowded street suddenly became less and less populated. The gigantic buildings were now smaller with each passing street as the vehicles that were by dozens were now just a couple.

“Tia?” Asked Emerald. Aurantia tilted her head at the mention of her name, asking herself what were those two saying about her, but smiling afterwards.

Even if the two mares caught some creature’s attention, it was just for an instant, just a glimpse of a stranger face menacing their schedule, yet, at the moment they saw the little yellow changeling, their faces turned back to their unamused state.

<Of course! You two laugh and cry. You two wants to walk alongside each other and help the other to be always better, and most importantly, to be happy. I guess she is very special for you, isn’t she?>

Emerald looked at her friend, but she said no word.

Twilight giggled, feeling the calm sensation that was being poured into her through Emerald, <I will take that as a ‘Yes’.> she said with a smile, <I know how it feels… It is commenting… amazing… Isn’t it?>

Emerald nodded. A smile slowly growing on her face.

Aurantia stood close to Emerald. Closer than before, closer with each passing street as her eyes wandered between the creatures they passed by. Even those on the other side of the walk received a look from the little changeling.

<It took me several years to understand that and how magical it is to have true friends… I’m glad to see that Friendship is still everywhere! past and future… I’m glad I meet you, Emerald Dusk, and I will be glad to help in any way I can. Because, you know? Friendship—>

Is magic, isn’t it?”

They both giggled.

<Right!>

“So, that’s from where it came, uh?”

<What are you talking about?>

Friendship is Magic

<I’m sorry, Emerald. I… I don’t understand what do you mean>

“They teach us that phrase on the school—”

“Did you pay attention?! Oh Emmy, I’m so proud of you!”

<Did you?! I-I mean; they did? Why would->

“I saw you sleeping on all our Friendship classes, now I see you wasn’t!” Aurantia’s wing buzzed while she was trying to not jump over Emerald.

<What is a “Friendship class”?>

Aurantia fixed her eyes on the far distance, “And to learn the key phrase on Twilight’s chapter!” she sighed, “I really miss that class… Do you remember Ms. Clockwork? You used to call her Ms. Dorkwork!... And so did everycreature else…” the little changeling closed her wings, a hoof on her chin, “I never got why. I think she was cool. All those machines and mechanical arms she had, l really loved them! Even if sometimes they would explode-”

<Mechanical arms?! I wish I could see those! I can’t imagine how useful they could be for an Earth Pony! What I’m saying? They could be useful for everypony! Was she->

Emerald interrupted, trying to end the subject before it became something she couldn’t handle. “She wasn’t my favorite though… I guess-”

<…Mechanic fluid across the length? Or was it…>

Aurantia kept talking, her eyes darting from side to side whenever a new memory appeared in the front of her mind. “I liked more Mr. White’s chemistry class. He really knew about explosive and magic compounds. I never knew what he meant when he told me about the ‘business’. Did he have some type of workshop? Maybe a research! Do you think-”

Stop! One question at time, please!” Exclaimed Emerald, her eyes wide open and her right eye twitching. “Gosh. It’s like having two of you!”

Me?” Said Aurantia.

<Me?> Said Twilight.

Emerald sighed. A long and tired one. “It’s okay. It’s okay. Everything is going to be fine. We just need to board the train and everything will be fine” she whispered, slow, steady.

Aurantia tilted her head, coming closer to Emerald, “What did you said?” she asked, confused.

<I promise you that!>

“Wait, did you hear me?” Said Emerald, walking slower, looking at blankly in front of her. Not acknowledging Aurantia’s question.

<Of course! I mean, I can hear everything you hear after all.>

Aurantia looked around for somecreature else that Emerald could refer to, no creature nearby. The few creatures were already almost exclusively workers. Pegasi, Griffin, Gargoyles, and all kind of creatures were flying down the street. Many carried packages while others did only wear blue uniforms.

“I didn’t,” she said. Not sure if she should answer. “Or was you talking with the Princess?”

“I was talking with Twilight,” replied Emerald, a little confused.

<I thought you whispered to yourself. I’m sorry! Then I promise you everything is going to be alright!>

“No, wait, I was talking with Tia on that. But—”

Aurantia’s ears peak up at the mention of her name, “oh, it was with me? I’m sorry! I wasn’t paying attention, what did you just said?” she asked.

Ahhhhh this is too confusing!” shrieked Emerald. Hooves on her head as an increasing headache become present on her mind.

The creatures from above gazed down. Watching the screaming mare, but paying no attention further after seeing the little yellow changeling with the black socks with yellow stripes.

“I say something to her but she doesn’t hear but then she does but she thinks I was talking with her but then she then I was talking with me and then I don’t know with who I’m talking because it’s like speaking intwochannelsandeverythingisgoingoutofmymind!” she yelled, desperately. Her breathing faster with each word until she finally makes silence," she took her hooves up to the air and embraced those seconds of silence. She was fast. But everything else seemed to move even faster than her. "Can we please just walk in silence until the train station? Just… I just need a few minutes. Please?

<Yes… I-I’m sorry. It might be strange since only you can hear me.>

“Oh, I’m sorry. I understand. Do not worry, Emmy,” Aurantia lifted her hoof up to her face and made a sign, closing her lips and winking afterwards.

Emerald only smiled, almost laughing, while her eyes became soft and warm. She just nodded, sighed in relief and then just they just walked.

The three mares moved in silence. Emerald was only seeing the street, thinking in everything that just happened in a few hours. She thought on her past. Her future. Her dreams. It was a calm and peaceful day. Even if for her, everything seemed different, she knew it was the same sun she saw the day before. It was the same Changeling that has walked by her side for many years now. Those were the same street she crossed once in a while. Even with everything that was happening, everything felt in place.

And so, Emerald, looked at her friend, Aurantia, which in response smiled clearly, saying no word afterward. Her ears up, the chitin over her wings slightly open and her shining black eyes full with love.

Emerald smiled back, for she knew that as long as she had her friend at her side, everything was going to be fine.

And everything was fine.


<This place… Everything looks so different, yet so… Familiar?>

The clip-clop of the two mares’ hooves were soon drowned by vehicles and creatures yelling side to side while claws and paws made the walk a cacophony of creatures going back and forth across the gigantic gray street that was the outside of the train station, many, if not all, were carrying packages or guiding creatures across the many doors on the sides of the street. A big, brilliant and metallic plate had the name “Inter-Equestrian Station” written in many languages, and under it, a metal door, with no creatures coming in or out of it.

“How much different?” asked Emerald, paying no mind to everything that caught Twilight’s attention, still feeling that urge of curiosity that Twilight poured into her.

They walked up the metal stairs at the end of the street. Emerald reached the top first, a single metal door with windows alongside and a blue crystal on the top were there.

The moment she turned back, waiting for Aurantia, she saw Ponyville again.

Emerald eyes went wide, even if she didn’t know.

Twilight saw that incredible view, for her, what was before a small town with wooden houses and straw cellars, was now transformed into a huge metropolis, more brilliant that whatever she could imagine.

Creatures of all kind and shapes were flying from outside and inside town. Buildings bigger than her own castle, even bigger than the one in Canterlot. She saw that place before her, that incredible city, and saw a place completely different.

Her memories became confused. For Twilight, only a few hours ago, that place was a small town with few houses. A small town she loved and where all her friends lived.

Now, on the center of it, they had a huge statue of a powerful alicorn, made of stone and gems: its wings, wide spread, making the sun displaying a huge spectacle of light and shadows beneath it, its hooves, raised up in the air, holding a book made of onyx, its eyes closed as she turned her faced to the sky, like embracing it, on her head, a golden crown, and an amethyst star on the center of it. The monument was colossal, bigger than many buildings around it.

“Yeap. It is…” said Emerald, calmly. “The Princess of Friendship,” she said, pointing her hoof at the sky and waving on a very exaggerated way.

Twilight smiled, not only at Emerald’s gesture, but at the statue itself <I… I don’t know what to say… I mean… I—>

“You feel sad and a bit flattered, you’re happy but afraid. And I think you’re also a little bit angry.”

<W-why yes. How did you know?>"

“I can feel it too! silly— I mean, Princess.”

<Oh, right! But I don’t feel angry, why do you say that?>

“Oh, then that’s me. Why they didn’t add “Twilight Sparkle” on that statue!? I mean, that could’ve been very helpful!” she said while pointing at the statue at the distance.

Twilight giggled. And that made Emerald smile. Her rant was clearly a joke, but still, she wanted the statue to have Twilight’s name.

<Can we go and see it sometime? When we finish all this conspiracy thing?>

A calmed smile painted on Emerald face. “I… Of course we can, Twilight. Of course we can…”

A couple of seconds passed. They waited in front of that cold, metal door until Aurantia came up, tired, panting.

The moment Aurantia stepped up, the crystal at the top of the door began to shine brighter and brighter, just a second after, the door opened.

“Why did you take so long?” asked Emerald.

Aurantia, still heavy breathing, waited a couple of second before speaking, “I almost lost my brooch. Almost, but I—” she breath in, “I found it—” she breath out, “it was pinned on my sock—” she breath in, “I thought I would have to go back to my house for another one, but then I thought I was going to waste yours and the Princess time, and then I flied around and then I thought it might fall of on the street but then I found out it was on my sock and now I am here!” said Aurantia, breathing in and out. Her wings spread and her hair messed.

“Oh… Well… You could tell me and I would have helped, you know?”

“But I don’t want you to know!” she said while putting the brooch on her hair again

“But…”

“Let’s—” Aurantia breathed in, “let’s get into the station and find a seat. P-Please!”

“Well… But I think you should exercise more,” replied Emerald, giving her friend a helping hoof.

“Don’t… You… Worry…” replied Aurantia, unable to catch her breath," “Books… Are… Best… Exercise!”

<I know, right?!>

Emerald rolled her eyes. It was like having two of them, for the good and the bad, but mostly, for the good.

They entered the build. A clean, metal-plated floor made each hoof step louder than the last one. The few creatures that were on the other side of the building awaited calmly. Not a sign, not a gesture or greetings just the sound of the door closing behind them.

Inside the building, windows allowed any creature to clearly see what was inside and outside of Ponyville. On one side, colossal buildings, creatures of all races, the technology that allowed so many vehicles and delivers working in totally synchrony. On the other, green hills, mountains and the same Everfree Forest that Twilight always knew, and on the edge of it, a little and lonely house.

A surge of relief came to Twilight’s mind. At least, some things didn’t change. Her castle was there, the forest was there, and on the verge of it, a little wooden shelter, a long forgotten one, but one that she will never forget.

Emerald could feel her happiness and sorrow alike, she tried hard to endure it, until it suddenly stopped. It was an unbelievable sensation, to be at the edge of crying, and then, nothing. Her face went from a grin, to a painful gesture and finally, to nothing.

She heard Twilight sniffing, <E-Emerald,> she said, <W…Why is Ponyville so huge now? Why are there so many incredible buildings like the one you live in? Why here?> asked Twilight, taking long breaths afterwards.

“Oh… Well,” Emerald used her left wing to clean her eyes, meanwhile, Aurantia was following the pattern that marked the line to the front desk, even if it was empty. “Most… Most of them are residential…” she answered, trying to calm herself, “only a few are actually workplaces or stores, so, I don’t see them as something impressive. About the city…I don’t know, is not that big or incredible, isn’t?... But now that you say it… They really are, aren’t they?” replied Emerald. Her eyes shining with some of Twilight’s fascination. She saw those buildings like not only something unimaginable for what she knew, but straight from some kind of book she read long time ago. They were now bright, colossal, mysterious and unknown.

<I just can’t stop thinking that I have seen them before. The way the curl and how they seem to move is just magical! I would love to see them from inside and to know what makes them like that or who thought in that design! It’s just an illusion or they actually do move? I really want to know!>

“And now I want to know too… Agh!” replied Emerald while taking her hoof up to her face, “but they are all somecreature home! We can’t just enter like that! What would they—”

“Do not forget there are also a couple of embassy too!” interrupted Aurantia, her wings open and her breath a lot calmer, head down, looking and following the arrows on the floor, “many of them funded a couple of years after you… Ammm… Left us… Not all of them are houses, and many are open to everycreature! Wait, why do you ask? I mean, I know you didn’t ask, but why are you talking about them now? Is because of—! Ehmm… Her?

Emerald rolled her eyes.

“Yes, Tia, she wants to know who made them, why, how, how many creatures lives in them,” her ear twitched, “wait what? why do you want to know th— I don’t think she knows, why would— Wait, wait, wait. Too many questions! What was the first one?”

Aurantia looked around, her ear peeks up the moment Emerald started to raise her voice, even then, no creature payed attention to them. They stood behind their windows, just looking at how Aurantia was following the empty line and waiting for her nonexistent turn.

“Okay, she wants to know if you know whoever knows or not knows? What?... If you know who knows who now knows… Who made the buildings? … I think… She is just talking too fast for me at this point!... Aghh! I will!” Even if her voice sounded angry, she actually had a huge smile on her face, enjoying that little moment out of her job, of her routine. If it was Twilight’s feelings or her own, was unknown, even for her.

On the beginning of the line, Aurantia was looking at her side. Wondering if they were listening, trying to figure out if the magic crystals on the top were taking imprints of their movements. Ever since they left the library, she felt watched, but was unable to see anything besides those who rode their vehicles and the magic crystals.

“Tia? Are you okay?” said Emerald. Waving a hoof in front of her friend.

Aurantia blinked a couple of times. Her eyes slowly focusing Emerald’s face. “Right, yes! I-I was just looking around… Long time since I was here, you know?” she laughed nervously, “what… what was you saying?”

“N-… nothing,” answered.

On the front desk, one pony began to wave at them. His face twitched as he tried to keep his smile up, even if they already noticed how fake it was. “I think is your turn, Tia,” said Emerald with a reassuring smile.

“Oh right!” replied Aurantia, nervously walking to the front. “Hi! I mean, good morning, Sir…” the pony on the other side raised a brow, "Three- I mean Two! Two tickets to the Crystal Empire. Please.

The pony took several papers on his hoof, never breaking eye contact with Aurantia, putting seals and signatures on things that she didn’t gave him. “Sure, Miss. May I see your identification, please?” he said.

Aurantia was looking to every other side, avoiding the pony’s eyes every second she could. “O-of course. Here,” she said taking the silver brooch out of her hair and leaving it on the desk.

The stallion on the other side grabbed the brooch. On his side, a blue crystal shone with a dark and purple light. The moment he lends close the brooch, it began to vibrate. The Crystal turned off a second after and he returned the brooch to its owner.

The pony saw how, from the blue crystal, a bright ray burned the piece of paper that was beneath. A moment after, he nodded.

“Thank you, Miss Aurantia. The Inter-Equestrian Rail Thanks you for your preference, the train will arrive in ten minutes. Don’t hesitate on telling our helper if you need anything. Have a nice trip.”

With that, he printed his hoof on another paper and send it across the room over a tunnel on the ceiling. The sound of the cylinder where the paper was echoed across the empty room until it stopped a few meters behind, on the other desk.

Aurantia smiled, nodded, and said “thank you, Sir,” before turning back to Emerald.

“And… that’s it? No license, no papers, no inspections or questions?” Asked Emerald.

“Sure. Why do you ask?” replied Aurantia, her head tilted.

“Well. I don’t know. I thought it would be like the Friendship Express, but nicer.”

“I haven’t used it yet. It is that different?” said Aurantia.

“The security is over the top. Sometimes you have to do all those things I said and even more! I mean, we Wonderbolts always do, it’s all about security, still, I’ve seen a couple of felines and changelings do it, one lizard, and almost all simians, Kirin too. But yeah. That’s a thing.”

“And that’s why you don’t like to travel?”

Emerald tucked her wings strongly at her side, at the same time, she backed up a couple of steps “They touched my wings! That’s awful!”

Aurantia got closer to Emerald. “Poor little Emmy,” she said, patting her head softly.

Emerald stopped Aurantia, not because she didn’t like it, but because the two ponies on the desk were watching. “I… I’m way bigger than you, you know.”

“That was not what you said the other night, did you?” replied Aurantia, giggling.

Immediately, Emerald pushed Aurantia, “Heeyyy! Not in front of the Princess!” she said, laughing.

“Oh my, you’re right! I’m so sorry P…”

Emerald ear twitched. Her head tilted.

“She said it’s okay. But… On the other hoof… I think she did blush.”

Aurantia laughed, she tried to cover her smile but her fangs and mouth showered over the small holes on her forelegs. “I…” Aurantia saw at her sides, thinking that maybe her laugh caught the attention of the workers. None of them payed attention, they were all looking down or looking at the windows, just waiting. “Emmy, can you come to the bathroom with me. Just for a moment.”

“Tia? What are you planning to-?”

“Emerald… Can you please accompany me to the bathroom…?”

Emerald keep in silence. She saw directly to her friend’s eyes. They pointed to a door at the other side of the room, far of main hall.

Quickly, Emerald looked at the workers.

Nothing.

None of them even seemed to care.

“Yeah… sure” she replied, her voice low.

The metallic echo of their hooves crossed the room side by side. The ears of one mare behind the counter twitched, but she didn’t raise her head from the papers in front of her.

The door opened. A clean, white space welcome them along with the emptiness of the room. Not a soul was there. Even then, Aurantia looked at the corners of the room. They were empty.

She closed the door behind them, “Emmy. I don’t think we should say ‘Princess’ just like that…” she said, speaking low.

“But, she’s a Princess, right?” replied Emerald, confused.

“Yes, but… don’t you remember what Spike told us? They never found those behind that attack… We just don’t know who might be working with that creature nowadays,” she stopped and looked directly into Emerald eyes. "I… “I’m scared…”

Emerald look at her with incredulity. “You really think they just randomly listen to anycreature conversation? Isn’t that like, too crazy?”

“It may… or may not… If they still exist just between Celestia’s guards, they already know where are we heading to and who we are.”

“How could they…” Emerald saw her face. Her eyes let it through a dash of sadness as she stood in front her and pointed up with her eyes. “The brooch?... How could that… The passage…”

Tia only nodded. Preoccupation all over her face.

“Well…” Emerald said, shrugging “I’m a well-trained Wonderbolt and you are an incredible smart bug. What’s the worst that could happen?”

Aurantia got closer to Emerald. “They… they murdered the embodiment of magic in front of the most powerful beings that Equestria had ever known…”

Emerald blinked. Mixed feelings of sadness, remorse, anger and loneliness coursed through her mind in a split second.

Twilight felt a grim reminder of what was of her. She remembered that night. Standing in front of the Princesses, of her brother, her family, her friends, and suddenly, in an instant, everything was gone.

<She… She is right, Emerald… We should be more careful with our steps…>

Emerald looked down. She usually would argue about something, stand over her name and confidence, anything, but not this time, they both were right, she too felt the weight of losing everything, she too felt the chills. “Who would say… you’re right,” she said with a defeated smile. “We must take care, and, who know, maybe I’ll think before speak, that would be new.”

“That wouldn’t be you,” replied Aurantia.

“Maybe what you need. What she needs, is not me…” her head and ears dropping.

“And maybe this is all just a book. We will never know. But what I know, is that I need you, and she… Well, she does not have any options. With due respect of course!”

<I do like it! I couldn’t ask for a better place to be than with you two.>

Emerald showed a faint of a smile. A single tear rolled through her cheek and to the floor. She raised her head, and saw Aurantia, smiling at her. “I… I’ll try my best. Thank you…-”

“Passengers to the Crystal Empire. The train is coming. Please be ready to get on board as soon as the machinist allow you. Thank you.”

“Well. Guess that’s our carriage, Princess,” said Emerald with a gesture of her hoof.

<Of course, Emerald. Let’s go! … Oh my Celestia!>

“W-what happened!?” asked quickly Emerald, fearing the worst, her wings spread and her posture changed in an instant.

<I just realized I have one hundred and one birthday gift to give to my niece!>

Instantly, her wings closed, her body relaxed as her posture became more carefree “I’ll not pay for them…”

<Don’t worry. I had them planed to the one hundredths. I have them all in my castle!>

“That will have to be another day, P… wait. We may need another way to call you, don’t you think?” said Emerald, stopping her walk before opening the door.

“What about PT?” said Aurantia.

“Nah. Sounds like a videogame.”

<Twily?>

“Too obvious” replied Emerald with a hoof on her chin.

“What about Sunset Shimmer?”

“No creature would believe that name…”

“Then… Twibright?”

“Really?”

“It’s too obvious… why not-”

From outside of the room, a voice came out. “The train to the Crystal Empire is leaving now.”

“Well, it will be later… let’s go, Tia and pending nickname.”

<Aww… I really liked Twibright…>

Author's Note:

I'm more or less alive.

This one took me so much because natural laziness and depresion are a very dangerous combination.

Also everytime I re-read it, I added more and more and more! I mean, I had like 3,000 words and ended with more than the double...

Well... I hope you like it.

I aprecciate every comment. Really. Every chapter takes a lot of time and read and read and re-read everything until many things become meaningless that, well, sometimes the feeling of "no one cares" keep me on the bed for too much time.

But that are things for a blog or something. I really hope you like it. And if not... Well, that's fine too! Hehe.