• Published 12th Dec 2017
  • 1,844 Views, 96 Comments

Twilight's Element - Lorhelei



Twilight is dead. But not her soul. She now resides in the mind of another pony in a new and peaceful Equestria. It's great, isn't it?

  • ...
4
 96
 1,844

Chapter 2: Where Knowledge Is

The sound of Emerald’s hooves on the wooden floor made a rhythmic song that Twilight knew too well. This time, it made her feel uneasy. To feel, to see, and to hear those steps the way she did and not being she the one who was making them. The stairs she was traveling went far below, as they crossed across many doors and windows in what seemed like a endless stairway to the ground.

<Emerald, Wait!>

Emerald immediately came to a stop, Twilight’s yell sent a bolt of fear down her spine, “What happened?!”, her eyes darting from side searching for a yet unseen threat.

<I a-amm— nothing, but... Could you please look through the window?> Twilight asked.

“Well, sure…” Emerald said with a sigh. “You didn’t have to yell for that, you know? You could, I don’t know, just ask?” Emerald continued with a chuckle, “You scared me there”.

<Right. I… I’m sorry, I just… I think I saw something…>

Emerald slowly stepped closer to the wooden framed window that let through a bright sunlight that illuminated the otherwise dark and solitary stairway.

It was at that moment that Twilight saw it for her first time. Dozens of colossal structures, all fifty or more stories tall, blocking out the bright morning sunshine, splitting it into small rays as they blocked Celestia’s beautiful sun she had always loved. They rose far into the clouds, as if challenging the mountains in the distance, threatening to make their massive heights commonplace. The structures seemed like they were made mostly from stone and iron on the outside. If the building she was in were any indicator then they would all have wooden interiors. They had more windows and balconies than Twilight could count from her small windowed view, she did try though, as each one of the stories had at least more than twelve windows and two balconies on each side, not taking in count other structures she didn’t recognize.

<Four times four, times... Seventy four, seventy five… Eighty?… Dear Celestia...>

Emerald could feel Twilight’s fascination overwhelming her, the unbridled intrigue enveloped her as each building the same as the one she stood in now piqued an interest she had never felt before. Suddenly they seemed so beautiful, so majestic…

So magical.

They rose up from the ground in and further up into the skies, giving home to thousands and thousands of creatures that she didn’t know existed. She was seeing the same world she inhabited, but through Twilight’s fascinated eyes.

“Twilight?... What—… What exactly are we seeing here? Why— ” asked Emerald unable to turn away from the beautiful sight, almost as if drunk from Twilight’s emotions.

<This… Those… Designs… I…> Twilight couldn’t find words to explain what for her seemed like a dream come true in more than one way, <Emerald. Where… Where are we? What is this place?>

“Why, It’s Ponyville of course. Why do you ask?” answered Emerald, unamused.

Twilight’s fascination quickly shifted with those words, <T-this cannot be Ponyville! W-where is everything? I-it's all gone!…> Twilight began to feel the weight of the unknown. She searched for something that could be called part of ‘Ponyville’, yet she could find nothing familiar in what was supposed to be her home. There was no Carrousel Boutique, Sugar Cube Corner, Sweet Apple Acres, she couldn’t even see her castle, once the largest and most ostentatious building in all Ponyville. <Emerald… How much… What really happened?> it was hard to believe, that her beautiful town have now become such an incredible metropolis. She knew what that meant, she had been theorizing it since she had gained consciousness. But she was afraid. Afraid of the answer she already knew.

Emerald’s eyes began to mist as Twilight recalled clearly how the the crystal walls of her castle reflected the light into a myriad of colors with the sunrise showering the town with its light. She always loved that, how it turned the center of Ponyville into a spectacle every single day, as unintentional as it was. It was her home, her refuge, the one place that she belonged. Even Golden Oaks Library, as much as she didn’t want to admit it, wasn’t her home anymore. She had so many adventures in that castle, and so many new memories.

But now, all of that was gone, that beautiful sight of Ponyville, once clear and warm, was now a gray and dull landscape, similar to how she remembered Manehattan but even darker. It was amazing and sad at the same time. All that made Ponyville what it was was gone, but now, it was the home of so many more lives than she could ever imagine.

Emerald felt Twilight’s depression barring down on her, the world Twilight had known appeared before her as a mysterious and unknown place. She didn’t know where she was anymore.

“Twilight, is something wrong? Did I say something or—“.

<No, no… Is just that…> her voice broke for a moment, Twilight’s tears streaming down Emerald’s face, <W-where is the—> her heart sank the moment she remembered her old home in Ponyville. The heartbreak that caused the loss of Golden Oak haunted her for so much time. And now, her castle was gone too. Everything was gone. <Is there…> she paused, <A library nearby? … I… I really need to check on something...> Twilight muttered.

“Sure… I… There is one just a few blocks away. We can go after breakfast if you want,” Emerald awaited without answer, “Twilight?”

<Sure, I-I...That… That would be nice, Emerald…> Twilight replied quickly. <Thanks>

Emerald stepped away from the window, and continued downstairs. Each time they crossed a window, Twilight tried to peek outside from the side of Emerald’s eyes. What lie outside of those walls made her eager, anxious… afraid.

After a few more flights of stairs, Emerald stopped in front of a white metallic door labelled ‘forty-seven’.

“Finally the cafeteria, hopefully they have some hayburgers left. They usually run out pretty fast.”

Twilight couldn’t do anything but smile at the sound of something familiar, <A cafeteria? That… That’s perfect, I feel so hungry right now... It’s weird since technically I only ate a few hours ago from what I remember, but since you just woke up and you haven’t—>

“Twilight…”

<—ate this morning, it makes sense for me to be hungry. I admit—>

“Twilight…”

<—that it is fascinating. The fact that I feel everything you feel. It’s not only like I’m inhabiting your body but—>

Emerald rolled her eyes at the unstoppable Twilight’s self-speak. She trotted through the room filled with creatures of all kinds; from changelings to bat ponies and even hippogriffs. She stood in line at the buffet, they had entrees for everyone from vegetables for the herbivores to meat for the the carnivores, and even some meals in between, including things that Twilight have never seen before.

Emerald moved one metal plate across the bar with her left wing, “Good morning, Bell,” greeted Emerald to the feline creature on the other side, “How’s the family going?”.

<—all. And what if this is Ponyville, but in another time? It must be the future. But why would my mind be hibernating and for how long? I mean. Starswirl theorized that the mind of a pony and their body are deep bonded by the—>

Emerald stood with her gaze lost at the infinity as she drifted her attention to the creature on the other side of the bar. The brown fur creature that weared a white apron turned his frown upside down in the instant he saw the green mare, “Emerrald! Haha! And herre I thought you would skip brreakfast this morrning! Family has been going good, yes! Lovely wife, lovely daughterr, lovely life isn’t?” he said while moving a silver spoon around, “I suppose you will be heading to the Wonderrbolt Headquarterrs today too, right?”

“Oh, no, no. Not today, Bell” she waved her wing dismissively, “I have to go to the library today.”

“The Librrarry? Did the Pinkish “Book Bug” finally bite you? Hopefully not literrally, Miss Dusk,” said the feline with a grin while mixing a bowl of salad.

“Well,” she chuckled, “not exactly.”

“Say no more, I underrstand. Then, Miss Dusk, what do you wish this wonderrful day?”

“Lovely as always, Bell. I’ll have: One hayburger, one milkshake and two flower bars… And… Do you want something special, Twilight?”

<—the implications of something like the Thaumic system being combined into one being is scientifically groundbreaking as—>

“I’ll take that as a ‘No’ then,” Emerald shrugged, at first, the feline did a puzzled face when Emerald began to talk with herself, but he dropped the thought a second after. “This ponies and their names. In my land we used to have names based on our parents—” he said enthusiastically as he walked across the bar taking ingredients for Emerald’s order. After a minute, he returned with a silver plate and left it on Emerald’s head.

The feline gave the mare a huge smile while spinning his spoon around. “Have a grreat day, Miss Dusk.”

Emerald nodded at Bell, she then walked through the room, greeting everyone as she crossed them, every other returning the gesture calling her by the name “Emmy” as she smiled at them.

She then took an empty seat far away of the bar from where the crowd was and put the plate on the yellow metal table. Her mouth began to salivate in excess as she smelled her first food in the morning, a dish she loved, and prepared by who she thought was the better at it.

With her fore hooves she took first the hayburger and give it a bite.

<—but again that shouldn’t be possible, I mean wha—> Twilight mind received a shock of emotions as the flavors of the hayburger were being poured suddenly in Emerald’s mouth, and tasted by Emerald’s tongue, <W-What the… Hay?…> the sweet flavor of the honey mustard sauce was dancing across the crunchiness of the hay and lettuce. It did make the hay to taste less, but that caused the lettuce and spinach to shine into the mix that were between the two crispy honey buns. The pickles added a salty touch that allow the mix to not feel oversweeted, <What kind of food is this? I mean, why does it taste so… Good…?>

“What do you mean? The hayburger? Is just a regular burger, I guess,” said Emerald with her mouth full, “why do you ask?”

<Well, first thing first, you shouldn’t talk with your mouth full, that’s not appropriate. Second thing; I can taste it. Not only that, but I can feel all the flavors and textures in the burger. I have to say that it is really... weird, to feel all the flavors being injected in your mind without even touching the food… I’m not munching it, yet I can feel how crunchy it is in my teeths, and taste the pieces of hay in my tongue.>

“Well, did you felt my hunger before right? Then it’s logical to think that you could feel my taste too, isn’t?” Emerald took another bite of the burger, each time she munched the juicy hayburger, she could felt how Twilight gasped in delight for what it seems commonness to her, “why is so impressive?”

<Because I’m not only tasting it. I’m feeling how you are tasting it. In fact, this is not even close of what I had eaten before, I mean, for what I saw on the windows, clearly I have been... sleeping... many years. I didn’t expect for food to become this good. Or maybe…>

Emerald pupils shrank at the moment Twilight said that last words, she had a feeling, a bad one, the same that she had the moment Twilight began to speak endlessly a moment ago, “Twilight… Are you going to—“

<Maybe what I’m feeling it’s not the food, but your sense of the food. I think that I’m seeing the world not only through your eyes, but also through your mind and body, through your whole senses actually. I mean, I perceive everything through them, and those are unique for everypony, they are so subjective that what taste good for some ponies, might be nasty for others, that includes levels of pain. So, the colors I see, the flavors I taste, the way you feel the world, every one of them are yours and may or may not be similar to mines. That is why this taste so good. You like this kind burgers, right?>

Emerald had her mouth full again. She took her time to taste every little flavor on the hayburger before gulping, “Well, you could say it, these are my favorites by far after all,” she said while giving the burger another bite.

<Aha!>

The sudden realization of Twilight caused Emerald to squeak a small “Eeeep” and jump a little, enough to being noticed by many of the others attendants to look at her.

<Then, it IS possible that I’m experiencing a whole new sensations caused by your own body sensibility to the world—>

Emerald took a look at her surroundings, many of the creatures looked at her with a smile while some of them dismissed the issue with a chuckle. Her cheeks turned red as she moved her hoof dismissively, prompting her spectators to don’t mind her behavior.

<—many ponies theorized the way that sharing emotions could work, but none other than Star Swirl could perform an emotion swapping spell, the way that the body works made impossible that a simple mind swap could—>

Emerald rolled her eyes before taking a zip on her frosty strawberry milkshake from the red and white straw.

<—but again, Clover the Clever was the one— Woow. That is sweet, and creamy, and… Strawberries? What is that?> The sudden rush of sweet strawberry contrasted by the salty and bittersweet flavor of the hayburger that was on Emerald’s mouth caused Twilight to stop her monologue in order to understand that new sensations she was now going through, <was that the milkshake?>

“Mhm,” replied Emerald without even took off the straw out of her mouth.

<It’s sweet… Cold… A touch of bitterness at the end. It really blends with the taste that the honey left from the hayburger.>

Emerald chuckled, “I know, right? They always told me that the bittersweet honey mustard and the pure sugar sweet from the milkshake shouldn’t mix. She raised her hoof, “foolish creatures who accuse the mare’s food without reason!,” she said with a smirk before put the straw again in her mouth.

<Where did you… Oh well, I don’t really know if it’s mix well on others, but for you, it surely does… Then… That means—>

“Oh no…”

<I perceive the world through your senses, but still, I have my own, I have my own way to understand your environment based in my experiences and feelings. That means that even when I share your feelings, I still can experience them in my own terms!”>

Those words cause Emerald to think about what happened on the window, the emotions Twilight send her. Her sadness, her sorrow, her hope slipping away. “I… Twilight.”

<Yes?>

Actually… I think we do share emotions...

<What do you mean? Do you feel weird or something?>

“I—... Well, when you did look through the window, I felt something…”

<Really? What did you feel?>

“Sadness, sorrow, despair… Pain…”

<Oh… I… I guess we do—>

“But I also was full of joy, the city seemed different, it shone with a bright I haven’t seen before. I think… I think that that amazement was your’s too, wasn’t it?”

<Yes… Yes I think it was…>

“I don’t want you to feel sorry about anything of this, Twilight. For some reason we do now share our feelings, for some reason you are in my head. That’s for the good and the bad. And… It surely was something, you know? That... magical view.”

Twilight rested in silence for a couple of seconds, causing Emerald to think that she made a mistake and that she did hurt Twilight in anyway. For a moment it was true, but it changed in matter of seconds,, <Thank you Emerald… It’s good to know. I’ll try to manage my feelings a bit better, and maybe I can help you in your times of need…> Twilight waited until she could feel Emerald’s doubt fading away, then she continued, <And, for what I can feel, you are already full don’t you?> she said with a chuckle.

The milkshake had almost the half of the glass yet, but Twilight knew that even if Emerald wanted, she couldn’t afford another zip of that sweet, sweet nectar. Emerald sighed in relief at Twilight’s words. “Yeah… You’re right…” she chuckled, “you know how weird it is that someone else told me exactly how I feel? Even if I don’t even know for sure. It’s… Interesting though, it’s like having a second mind,” Emerald said, then took the silver colored plate and the half full glass on her back and began to walk to the main bar in a rather slow pace.

<Well. Te~echnically I AM a second mind of yours. The only thing we don’t share is our memories, I think. From my side it’s like somepony else is using my body… But it’s not my body because is yours. It’s hard to explain, if you like I could—>

“Oh, no, no. It’s ok. I think I get it,” Emerald interrupted in an instant hoping to dissuade Twilight’s monologue, “don’t worry about me,” she walked across the hall with her eyes occasionally seeing up her, as if she was talking directly to Twilight, “besides, it will surprise you how much I know. A friend of mine is actually a very smart—“

“E~emmy!” a sharp voice echoed through the hall along with a euphoric buzzing.

“And there she is… Twilight, allow me to introduce you—“ Emerald rolled her eyes the very moment she was interrupted by the mysterious voice.

“Emmy, why didn’t you wait for me?! I thought today we will have our breakfast together!”

The owner of that sharp voice was clearly a changeling, something that brought Twilight utter joy for Emerald’s unknownment. The little changeling had a brilliant pink chitin with yellow shades. Her eyes shone with pure green joy and her wings couldn’t stop buzzing at a very high speed even when she was not even flying. She had a pair of yellow sleeves with black stripes on her forehooves and a pair of silver brooch with the shape of a spider on the base of her horns.

“Hi, Tia…” said Emerald unamused while rising a hoof. The little changeling began to fly and give Emerald a hug that, if not because she could barely surround Emerald’s neck with her arms, Emerald would have to fight to breath, “I told you not to call me Emmy like that... at least not here...” whispered Emerald, “they will think… Things… About us… You know?”

“Did you say something?” replied Tia while her wings ceased their movements, not listening to Emerald’s complains.

“No, it was... Nothing,” Emerald signed and then chuckled as the little changeling resumed her affection display and buzzing.

<Is her name Tia?> asked Twilight, the sound of that name bringing her back some memories.

“Not at all, her name is Aurantia, Aurantia Argiope,” answered Emerald, not noticing that the little changeling was still hugging her.

“What did you say again?” asked the little changeling. Her wings stopping once again.

“Ammm…. Nothing?” answered Emerald, avoiding Tia’s eyes.

“Oh, ok,” Tia chuckled, tightening the hug and buzzing yet again.

<I guess is better that way. They might think you are crazy or something,> Twilight said, a bit disappointed.

Emerald did only nod before breaking free from Tia’s grasp, “so, Tia, are you going to eat just now or…”

“Oh, no, I already ate,” she did stop her buzzing. Her wings folded inside her chitin while sending a hoof up her chin, “why do you ask?”

“Oh, I was going to the library, and if I remember you had a book to—“

“Are you going to the library!?” Interrupted Tia. “You have never gone to a library! What happened!?”

“Well, I have never had a reason to go before, I guess.”

“And now?”

“Now I have.”

“And what is that reason, may I ask?” said Tia while hovering in order to poke Emerald’s shoulder with her own. A huge grin painted on her face.

“Well, you could ask, or we could go together,” Emerald replied with a smirk, “besides, you have a book to return if I’m not mistaken.”

“Oh, right! Spells and Incantations thirty-two. I finished yesterday. It was awesome.”

<Spells and Incantations THIRTY-TWO!? There are SIX more books?! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my—>

Emerald showed a hurtful expression induced by Twilight shriek, causing her ears fell flat.

“Right,” said Emerald with her ears ringing, “so, are you coming?”

<—my gosh! Six whole books more! Please let me read it, Emerald! Please! Please! Please!—>

“Of course! Let’s go!” replied Tia with her wings buzzing.

“Yeah… Let’s go…” said Emerald, unamused, “to the library...”

<To the library!>


From the very moment they left the building, Twilight was astonished for what she saw. Species from the whole world were walking side to side. The scenery was no longer colorful and warm, but rather fast and noisy, just like Manehattan if it was a multi-species city.

It brought a troublesome and melancholic feelings. Yet the unbelievable scenery in front of her kept her distracted from them. Every time she saw a new machine, a new building, a new vehicle, her mind couldn’t stop from theorizing how it works, what they were called, because of what, and with what purpose. She didn’t spoke a word, but her feeling were crystal clear to Emerald.

“Those are Crystal Chariots. They are magic propelled vehicles,” Emerald said calmly.

Twilight noticed the gesture, and so, she sighed at Emerald’s awareness.

<I’m that obvious?>

“Is that, or you have never seen a changeling in your life.”

<I think I’m then,> she chuckled, <do you no longer depends on horsepower?>

“Do you mean, trains and vehicles pulled by stallions? … No… Not that I remember…” Emerald replied, unsure of what to say and if she should. For what she remembered, she have never seen horsepower vehicles, at least, not since she was born. “Why… Why do you ask?”

<It’s just fascinating how fast technology did change. To achieve this in a few years...>

Emerald said nothing.

A moment pass, they came across a couple of streets, and her destiny didn’t felt closer. Emerald did not know where exactly the library was since she have never been there before, and everything she knows were things that Tia told her.

“How far is the library, Tia?”

“You don’t know where it is?” replied Tia, dumbfold.

<You don’t!?>

“No, I have never been there before. I just know it exist only because of you, remember? I asked you for a book one time.”

“Oh right, what was its name… Mmmm… ‘Sixty-Nine ways of Preening’, right? That book is kind of fascinating. I never knew that there was so many movements on your wings.”

Emerald cheeks turned red as she could swear she hear Twilight chuckle, “yes… that one…” she signed, covering her face with her hoof.

“Well, it’s not far from here,” said Tia, calmly.

“How far?” asked Emerald, while Tia did just stop.

“It’s right here, silly,” she raised her hoof towards the huge building in front of them.

The library was made of pure crystal. It was like a castle over a crystal tree. Its walls, ceiling, even the balcony were of made of a blueish and pink crystal. The door was a huge one made of wood, it has a lot of golden details, similar to those on the ceiling, and on the top of the castle there was a flag with a purple star on it. It has dozens of all kind of beings flying and walking in and out of it carrying all kind of books.

<This…> Twilight’s heart began to fill with mixed feelings of nostalgia and confusion, <This is my castle…>

Melancholy took over Emerald as Twilight saw her old home in front of her. A single tear trailed down Emerald cheeks, damping her green fur while she watched the building unamused, trying to contain Twilight’s feelings as hard as she could.

Your castle?” she said, her voice broken, “… You mean…” she was trying to recover her voice at the time that she cleared her eyes with a gently rub of her arm, trying to only dry the tears and not harm her eyes.

<Yes… It’s what you think…”>

On the front door, there was a golden plate with a memory on it.

Twilight's Library.



In memory of the Princess of Friendship.

May your knowledge guide our future.

And our friendship last forever.



Always your Number One Assistant.



—Spike, The Dragon

The golden plate had rusty spots on the edges, but the center was perfectly clear, almost polished.

Emerald’s eyes began to mist, her heart sunk and her head began to hurt, “Twilight… Is… Is that Twilight, you?” she received no answer, yet she could feel Twilight’s pain scarring deep into her own heart, “Twilight, please…”, she tried to speak with Twilight, but her words couldn’t reach her.

<Oh Spike,> she gasped with a low and broken voice, <I’m so, so, sorry…> Emerald could barely understand what she was saying. Twilight rested in silence for a moment before speaking again, <How much time did I sleep? ...> she asked.

“I… I don’t know… To be honest, I don’t know who you are or why your name is there… But please, Twilight, you have to endure it,” replied Emerald with a heavy voice, at the verge of tears.

<I… I understand… It-> she signed, <It doesn’t matter anymore. I’m sorry. Let’s get in, can we?>

“Sure… I… I’m sorry…”

<You don’t need to apologize, Emerald. It’s not your fault…>

Almost instantly, Emerald felt relieved. She tried to recover her breath from how exhausting was to bear Twilight’s feelings that she stood in front of the door for a couple of seconds more, only breathing. Slowly.

Aurantia was seeing the whole scene from the entrance of the library, wondering why did Emerald stood there. After her friend regained herself, she waved her hoof at her, prompting Emerald to follow her friend.

They walked to the imposing wooden door. Emerald felt each step heavier as Twilight’s emotions began to swell more and more, even so, she knew that there was nothing she could do, but bring her the answers she was looking for.

And so, Tia opened the door.

Dozens and dozens of shelves full of books of every kind and genre thinkable were there. They were perfectly ordered by topics in a numeric system and divided in languages from A to Z. Every single language Twilight knew was there, from every corner she traveled and from every one she had meet.

Twilight sorrow suddenly became bearable to Emerald, as her eyes regained something of that shine she had lost before. The pain was there, yes, but it was less oppressive and crushing.

“So, what book are you looking for?” asked Tia

“Something about modern history, or anything where I could read what happened in the last years could do,” Emerald couldn’t turn away her eyes from the utterly extensive library.

“Mhm… I’m not known to history, at least, not in general. You should ask to the librarian. He surely knows, I mean, he runs this place after all, and he has made an incredible job” chuckled the little changeling.

“Sure, and… Where is it?”

“Oh, that’s easy. You go straight from here and then to the right. He is always on that room.”

<That… That room…>

“Thanks Tia, I’ll see you in a moment. Be right back,” Emerald began to hover into the corridor as she crossed many different changelings, ponies, and all kind of creatures eager to learn the mysteries of the world. She wondered why she did never came herself to the library and where the books of wings care could be. “Twilight? What is the matter with that room? If may I ask.”

<That is… I mean, was the room where the Cutie Map was…>

“Cutie Map?”

<It’s nothing… Maybe it still works, but we will see there. There is no use to explain anything here for something that may not exist anymore… Not without me and...>

That last word clicked on Emerald, knowing that Twilight was hiding something from her, “well, I trust you,” Emerald could feel Twilight’s relief when she dropped the subject.

It took only a couple of second before they reached the room. It was a bit different, but was the same room that she remembered. The Cutie Map Hall.

On the ceiling was the same roots of the Golden Oak tree, with all the memories it held and even more. But now, it also had Twilight’s cutie mark hanging from the center with photos of her and Spike. The map was no more than a table, as it seemed to have lost its power long time ago, or so it looked by the marks of dust all over it.

On the sides there was countless of books that Twilight had never seen. Her wish to read them was creating conflict with her need to cry, yet she remained in silence.

The seats that her friends once used, were now dirty, full of dust, covered in white blankets and left them to time to make its work. The light and the safety that once emanated from them, gone.

That pierced Twilight’s heart more than anything that she could bear. Memories of her beloved friends were dancing on her mind, and now, in Emerald’s mind too. They made Emerald’s voice to disappear as she tried to contains the sorrow that Twilight was passing on her. Emerald heart began to ache as the room began to felt smaller with each passing second.

She was seeing Twilight’s memories.

Her lungs began to beg for air desperately at the same time her eyes started to dart from one side of the room to another. Twilight’s voice reverberated in her mind totally overwhelmed by despair as she mumbled names and places unknown to her among some city names as Ponyville and Canterlot.

The voices of the creatures in the room, once full of cheer as they spoke their mixed knowledge, began to sound more and more distant as the only thing she could heard was her breath and a distant “Spike” echoing on her ears.

The walls felt closer and closer. The ceiling began to fall over her. Her hooves trembled as her ragged breathing turned more desperate and shallow. Until, with the corner of her eyes, she saw something that made Twilight’s heart beats once again.

A purple book with a horseshoe on the cover, a purple star in the middle and five different colored crystals on it.

It was the journal. The Journal of Friendship. The book she wrote along with her friends long time ago. Ponies, Changelings, and all kind of creatures were moving side to side picking up copies of that same book with illusion on their eyes. The same eyes she and her friends had when they all first wrote it.

In an moment Emerald recovered her voice. The voices ceased. The room shone once again. She felt invigorated. Full of Twilight’s regained strength. In a second, Emerald’s heart began to beat once again, to breath once again. The voices around, clear as crystal as they were seconds before. A warm sensation, full of hope and love took over her in a split second and with that, the world suddenly didn’t seem to be shattering around her. Tears began to trail off her cheeks and onto the floor as the kind feeling took over her.

Twilight’s resolve awoke.

The moment she fixed her eyes on the purple book, the warm sensation regained strength, ‘that book…’ she thought after feeling the effect it had on Twilight, her misty eyes keeping her from seeing clearly such book.

‘Who are you? Twilight Sparkle…’ she asked to herself.

Emerald eased her mind. She began to control her breath once again. She closed her eyes. Slowly. Fully embracing Twilight’s feelings for a second. Twilight took that time gratefully, as it used it to compose her mind. The Princess of Friendship was again… Full of determination.

Emerald rubbed her eyes with her forearm. Twilight felt Emerald’s tears on her own forearm. She wanted to comfort her, to stay by her side, yet she knew that it was because of her that Emerald was in such state. She wished she could do something for her friend. But she couldn’t.

<I’m so so-rry Emerald. I-I did this to you…> Twilight heart sunk, but in a moment she realized how her sorrow would only hurt Emerald. <But… You are stronger than this! I know it. I can feel it!>

Those words didn’t sink on Emerald, but made her feel better anyway. Meanwhile, the whole scene attracted the curiosity of certain creature lingering from above.

“Who is there?” asked a imposing voice that echoed through the room. Causing Emerald to move rapidly her ears and head.

<What was that?>

“I…” She hesitated, but something encourage her, as if something, or someone was on her back, giving her strength. It was Twilight, she didn’t know it, but her faith was now Emerald’s , ”I’m, looking for the librarian,” she asked, searching for the source of that voice. Her mind were a mess of emotions, but she was now here, and Twilight counted on her.

“Well, that should be me,” the voice chuckled.

<It… It can’t be… Could it?>

A gust of wind traveled from above as the sound of wings took over the room. Soon after, a huge figure appeared in front of Emerald.

The librarian had a slim yet muscular figure, his fangs were visible through his mouth and his purple and green wings had the size of half the room as he descended covered in a brown robe. Emerald could see that his purple and green scales had some scars and scratches long time healed and her eyes reflected pure serenity and profound wisdom.

The creatures in the room didn’t blink an eye at the appearance of such a creature. Their coats and manes moved with the wind caused by the creature, yet none of them seemed to be scare and some didn’t even blink, while others came closer joyfully carrying notebooks and pens.

“What bring you to this enclosure of knowledge, my little pony?”

<How…>

Emerald pupils shrank as her heart and breath accelerated. She was unknown of the cause, but again, it seemed to be Twilight’s feeling flowing into her. She tried to understand how Twilight felt and what was she thinking, but everything she could feel was noise and confusion, a mix of emotions and words that had almost no sense to her. She tried to reach the Twilight in his mind, but she was lost. Lost in herself.

A couple of second passed away. The powerful dragon in front of Emerald give her a puzzled look as he got closer to her.

“Are you okay? Do you need medical assistance? little one,” asked the dragon.

<For how long…>

His voice drilled deep inside her mind. Unable to control her and Twilight emotions.

Twilight said only one word. Gathering all the strength she had and taking some more from Emerald’s. That word weighted more to Twilight than what Emerald could endure, it was too much to bear, too much to take, too much pain, and too many emotions.

Emerald began to cry loudly, as loud as she could. Leaving the dragon uncertain and worried.

<S—... Spike?>

Author's Note:

My editor Hubristic is having some busy days, so I decided to just go ahead after the pre-read. So... You might (and surely will) notice all kind of mistakes and all that. I will appreaciate very much all kind of feedback. English isn't my first language, so you should expect weird things.

With that being said. I hope we can work together again Hub, and I want to thanks Sejox for all his help and to you guys, for reading this stuff.

Thank you.