• Published 1st Dec 2017
  • 1,831 Views, 75 Comments

Dashin' All The Way! - sonicfan05



Rainbow Dash promised her stepdaughter, Scootaloo to get her a Zapp action figure for Hearth's Warming. However, the toy is sold out at every single store, resorting her to travel all over Equestria to find one.

  • ...
7
 75
 1,831

Unfriendly Reunion

Rainbow had been flying in the sky for about half-hour towards the direction to Canterlot. Her wings were starting to get tired but continued to push on. Sure, she could have used the Friendship Express to get to Canterlot without using her wings, but that would take her over an hour to get there. She wanted to get to the toy store as early as possible and before everypony else so she will have better change to get the Zapp action figure. She hoped that once she got what she came for, she’ll go back home to her family and be there with them at the parade.

Rainbow smiled when she finally reached Canterlot, the biggest and most important city in Equestria. The buildings themselves were big and fancy and even the streets below were clean from any snow or ice. Well-dressed ponies were trotting around the town, going through their day without a care in the world. At the very end of the town, stood a palace where the royal sisters, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna live. No doubt that they’re probably busy during the holiday season.

With no time to waste, Rainbow Dash zipped around the street corners, looking for her destination. When she made the final turn around the building, she was surprised from what she saw in front of her.

There stood Canterlot’s Toy Chest, the biggest toy store in Equestria. The building was pure white with mixtures of blues. It had a few windows to display the toys, a blue awning over the entrance doors and a sign on top of a building with an image of toys sticking out of a chest. It’s not surprising to see a toy store almost as big as a palace.

What was surprising was seeing a whole crowd of ponies, standing in front of the entrance doors. They were so many of them; they took up almost a whole block. Rainbow estimated there were at least about a hundred ponies, maybe even more than that.

Guess I’m not the only pony who shops at the last minute. Rainbow thought glumly.

Rainbow quickly landed on a street and then dashed towards the store’s entrance, ignoring any ponies who she shoved out of a way. When she spotted one of the store’s employees through the door winder, Rainbow knocked on the door to get her attention.

“Hey, excuse me? Can you let me in? I need a few minutes to pick up something!”

The employee’s only response was pointing at the hourly sign by the door that said, ‘Opening Hours: 9AM’ and then pointed to the clock behind her, which appeared to be eight fifty-five.

“Oh come on!” Rainbow pleaded. “Can’t you make this an exception? I really need to buy a toy for my daughter as soon as possible!”

“Hey! I was here for over an hour bub!” said an angry stallion with a green scarf next to Rainbow.

“Yeah! You want something, you’re going to have to wait like the rest of us!” the mare with a blue cap interjected behind Rainbow.

Many other ponies were ganging up on her until Rainbow was forced to push back away from the door and then stood in the center of the street.

Rainbow let out an annoyed snort. Well so much for being the first one in. Guess I’ll just have to rush in as soon as they opened the door. With my speed I can get the toy as easy as—

“Well, well. If it isn’t the traitor!”

Rainbow stood still. She recognized that voice and she haven’t heard her in years. Slowly she turned around and her eyes nearly widen in shook.

There stood was a light turquoise pegasus mare with yellow-orange eyes. She wore a brown uniform with a white shirt underneath. She also wore a brown hat with a logo of a mailing company on its center that barley covered her yellow-orange mane. She had a long tail with the same color as her mane and her cutie mark was a white lightning bolt with three stars (two orange and one yellow).

Rainbow met this mare years ago when she and her first enrolled as newly recruits at the Wonderbolts Academy. They were partners once, but after one ‘incident’ during their training exercise, she was removed from the academy. Rainbow never saw her again since that day, but seeing her now was a huge shock to her.

Rainbow Dash shook off her surprise and narrowed her eyes slightly.

“Lightning Dust!”

“Dash!” Lighting spat, narrowing her eyes as well.

They were glaring at each other for a moment before Rainbow Dash began to speak.

“So… you delivering mail now?”

Lightning scoffed. “Yeah… if this lame outfit I’m wearing isn’t obvious enough for you!” Lightning then spoke with a mock of pleasantry. “So how’s life at the Wonderbolts? I bet that feels good to be the best after you stole my position as the leader due to your jealousy!”

“That’s not what happened and you know it!” Rainbow spoke up angrily as she pointed at Lightning accusing. “You made me clipped my wing, you’ve sent half of our class to a serious of tailspins on an obstacle course and you unleashed a tornado that nearly killed my friends! You were a reckless, arrogant punk with disregard of the safety to our fellow teammates and everyone else around you! And for the record, while I did report you to Spitfire, I was actually going to quit. But Spitfire wouldn’t have it and kicked you off the academy instead. While I do feel bad that you were removed because of me, but at the same time, you got what you deserved!”

Lightning growled. “How dare you! You think you’re so innocent? You were also involved in our tornado plan as well as blowing ponies away at the obstacle course too! You should be just as guilty!”

“While I’ll concede that I was also in the wrong of those actions, but at least I admitted for my mistakes and make up for it!” Rainbow fired back. “You? You could never admit that you were in the wrong while not being remorseful for hurting other ponies for trying to be the best!”

“I am the best!” Lightning screamed, pressing her muzzle against Rainbow’s. “I could have had it all! Many ponies would’ve love me, shouting out to my name. I would have been marked in the history books! Instead, I’m stuck in some miserable low pay job, delivering mail while other ponies don’t care about my existence, as I’m just the face in a crowd. You ruined my life!”

“No,” Rainbow spoke in a firm yet menacing voice. “The one who really ruined your life… is yourself!

“Hey! What’s going on here?”

They both took a side glimpse to see a security pony, hovering over them with a deep frown. Rainbow realized that their little ‘reunion’ caused quite a commotion. The last thing she wanted was to cause trouble before she had a chance to go to the store. The two mares then slowly took a step back away from each other while not taking their eyes off of each other.

“Nothing… we were just… talking,” Lightning Dust responded slowly.

“Yeah… talking,” Rainbow answered just as slowly.

The security pony continued to stare at them for a moment before he grunted and trotted away from them. After the security pony disappeared into the crowd, the two mares continued to glare at each other, neither said a word. After a full minute of their stand off, Rainbow spoke again.

“So… what are you doing here anyway?” she asked.

Lightning glare intensified. “What’s it to ya?”

Rainbow breathed in through her nose to keep herself calm. “Well, I know for a fact that mail carriers delivers mail twenty-four seven, including Hearth’s Warming Eve. But since you’re here by the store instead of delivering mail, it seems to me that you were trying to do some last minute Hearth’s Warming shopping.”

Lightning continued to glare at Rainbow for a moment before she turned and crossed her forehooves.

“If you must know, I was trying to get my niece a Zipper action figure from the Power Ponies.”

Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrow. “You mean Zapp? Yeah I’m trying to get one for my daughter too.”

Lightning quickly turned to face Rainbow with a shock look of her own. “You? Have a daughter?

Rainbow’s eyes narrowed. “Yeah, I have a daughter! Got a problem with that?”

Lightning raised her hooves in a defending manner. “Oh no, no! Not at all! It’s just—” Lightning looked like she was about to say something more but she immediately changed her expression back to her aggressive stance. “Whatever! What do I care about your dumb life anyway? I’m here to get that toy, so you better stay out of my way!”

Rainbow scoffed. “Fine! As long as you stay out of mine!

Meanwhile, from the inside of the store, the employee mare noticed that the clock itself states nine o’clock on the dot. It was time for her to unlock the doors and let the shoppers in. But as soon as she changed the sign from ‘CLOSED’ to ‘OPENED,’ ponies rushed right into the store, trampling the poor mare in the process.

Rainbow herself, zipped right into to store with Lightning in pursuit. Rainbow flew around and dodged each pony to get herself ahead of the crowd, while Lightning plowed over every single pony that stood in her way. Lightning even went around the aisles to try to get herself further, knocking them down in the process. Both Rainbow and Lightning were now neck to neck, each determined to get to the Power Ponies section first, but when they both finally arrived at the same time, they immediately halted with shocked expressions on their faces.

The entire section of the room they’re in contained many different toys from the Power Ponies francize. There were many different shelves filled with action figures with each character both heroes and villains taking their own entire shelf. Most of the shelves for each character were either a quarter or halfway full. The only shelf that was overstocked was the Hum Drum action figures. The one shelf for a certain character that they’re both looking for, was completely empty. The only thing that was there was a huge sign that said ‘SOLD OUT’ in bold red.

“Wha- What the hay!?” Rainbow exclaimed while looking around in panic. “Where are all the Zapp action figures?”

“I-I don’t know!” said Lightning, as she felt a surge of anxiety. “They’re not here!”

Rainbow zipped around from shelf to shelf, in hopes to find the Zapp doll hidden among the other toys. “B-b-but this is supposed to be the biggest toy store in Equestria! They must have keep in the back storage!”

Rainbow suddenly spotted an earth pony stallion, who was wearing the store uniform. Rainbow immediately flew over to the employer, starling him in the process.

“Excuse me sir!” Rainbow said loudly.

“Yes Miss?” said the employer after he got his bearings. “How may I help you?”

“I’m looking for a Zapp action figure from the Power Ponies. Do you have them in the back somewhere?” Rainbow asked.

“Yeah, I’m also looking for the toy too!” Lightning interjected. “Can you give it to me first?”

What happened next to these two mares, caught them both off guard.

The employer laughed. It was a small chuckle at first before he reached a full-blown laughter. Both of the mares were confused by this sudden turn of events.

“Wha- what’s so funny?” Rainbow asked, perturb from the stallion in front of her.

As another employer trotted by, a female earth pony this time, the stallion employer called her over.

“Hey, hey listen to this!” He turned to Rainbow Dash again. “What did you say you two were looking for again?”

Rainbow raised her eyebrow. “Um… we’re looking for a Zapp action figure from the Power Ponies.”

Just like the stallion, the mare started laughing at them too, but much more loudly than the other employer. The two mare were even more confused by this.

“Hey, what’s all the commotion?” said one of the costumers, who was a unicorn mare.

The female employer pointed at the two confused mares. “Those two were looking for a Power Pony Zapp action figure!”

Much to the annoyance of both Rainbow and Lightning, the customer began to laugh as well.

“Oh my Celestia!” she guffawed, as tears were leaking from her eyes. “This is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard!” She then turned and addressed to the entire crowd in the store. “Hey everypony, these two mares are looking for a Zapp action figure!

Everypony in the entire store exploded in laughter. Many ponies were either holding on to their sides, pointing at the two dumbfounded mares or rolling around on the floor as they laughed out loud. After a minute of mocked laughter, Lightning Dust finally had enough.

“Okay, what’s going on here?” she loudly demanded over the laughing crowd. “Why is everypony laughing at us?”

“Yeah, we were just looking for the toy!” said Rainbow, who was also trying to get to the bottom of this.

The stallion employer laughed even harder. “Wow, these two are serious! That makes it even more funny!”

“Didn’t you know?” said the female employer, keeping her chuckles under control, but failed. “Those Zapp action figures are the hot selling toy of the market! They’ve been sold out for weeks!

“You’re not going to find them here, but we do have plenty of these Hum Drum dolls!” said the stallion employer before he started laughing again.

Rainbow had finally lost her patience. In one full swoop, she grabbed the two employers by the front of their shirts, lifted them off into the air with her wings and then brought them up close to her muzzle. The whole crowd ceased their laugher from Rainbow’s actions and then they nervously carried on with their lives as if nothing had ever happened. Rainbow paid no attention to the ponies around her as her focus was only on the two cowering employers in front of her.

“All right you two,” she said in a very low menacing voice. “I’m going to put you both down now and then I’ll calmly ask again. And when I do, you both better not laugh at my face again or I’ll send you both to the moon with my Sonic Rainboom. Got it?”

The two employers nodded their heads rapidly.

Rainbow smiled in a disturbing manner. “Good.”

Rainbow then descended from the air and then immediately put them back down on the ground.

Lighting Dust trotted up next to Rainbow Dash while letting out her long whistle.

“Wow… I’m not sure if I should be impressed or concerned that you got these two to stop laughing,”

“Now then,” Rainbow began, ignoring Lightning Dust. “If you guys don’t have the toy we’re looking for, then where can I find them?”

“Um…W-well… we don’t know,” the female employer stammered. “Like we said, these toys are so popular, every store that sells them give them out like they’re hot cakes.”

“I’m sure that whatever store you go to, that toy you are looking for is sold out just like our store,” the male employer added nervously.

“Come on, there’s got to be another one of these things somewhere!” Rainbow insisted.

Both employers were sitting around nervously until they both lit up in realization.

“Hang on, there was this mare!” said the stallion employer. “She just picked up a Zapp doll from the pre-order counter.”

“Mare? What mare?” Rainbow asked with some urgency.

“S-she’s a light yellow pegasus mare with a magenta mane,” the female employer answered.

“And I believe she has three suns on her flank as her cutie mark,” her partner added.

Rainbow nodded. “Three suns cutie mark. Got it!”

Rainbow was about to take off to go after the mare, but Lightning Dust spoke up.

“I don’t think so!”

Lightning swung her mailbag and wacked Rainbow Dash in the face, sending Rainbow into one of the piles of Hum Drum toys.

“That toy is mine!” Lightning declared before said gave Rainbow her mocking smirk. “Later loser!”

Rainbow Dash got herself out of the pile just in time to see Lightning Dust took off.

Why that dirty little- If it’s war you want, than that is what you’re going to get! Rainbow thought angrily before she flew after Lightning.

The case was on as Rainbow trailing behind Lightning, bit each time she tried to get close, Lightning would try to buck her in the face. During her third attempt, Rainbow spotted a colt, playing with a small blue ball. Rainbow than noticed a huge pile of stuffed animals, which were stacked almost all the way to the ceiling by the door.

Then, an idea came to her head. With a smirk, Rainbow swooped in towards the colt.

“‘Cuse me! I need to borrow this!” said Rainbow as she took the ball from the colt.

Ignoring the kid’s angry remark, Rainbow flew behind Lightning again, but this time, a yard away from her. As she held the ball, Rainbow brought her hoof back a bit. She waited for a bit while making sure that her angle and the timing was just right before she threw the ball.

Here goes nothing!

When Lightning flew at a certain spot, Rainbow tossed the ball towards the tower of stuff animals and watched as the ball hit the side of the pile. All the stuffed animals were titled to one side and then were tumbling down. By the time Lighting noticed the raining stuffed animals, it was already too late for her as she was engulfed with many toys on top of her and then crashed to the floor.

“YES!” Rainbow cheered, as she pumped her right forehoof.

As Lighting Dust moaned from underneath all the various stuffed animals, Rainbow Dash stopped for a brief moment to look down at her rival.

“See ya next fall Dust!” Rainbow taunted before she quickly flew out the store’s entrance.

Once she was outside, she landed in the middle of the road and then looked around the area to seek out the mare based from the description from those two employers.

All right, where’s that mare with the three suns cutie mark?

Rainbow looked around some more, until she spotted the mare she was looking for. The mare was light-yellow Pegasus with magenta mane and tail and had a three suns cutie mark, exactly what the two ponies said. She was also wearing her green hat and a green scarf. What brought Rainbow’s attention was the bag the mare was carrying. The one item that stuck out of the bag was the Zapp action figure, inside of a light purple and blue box.

Rainbow immediately flew towards the mare and called her out.

“HEY, HEY YOU!”

The mare turned around and her eyes widen when a crazed rainbow-maned mare was flying straight towards her.

“Wait! I want that Zapp doll!” Rainbow shouted.

The mare screamed as she took off to try to get away from this crazy mare.

“Hey! Come back!” Rainbow called desperately, as she pursues the mare.

And so the two mares were flying around the city at a very high speed. One was trying to get away from the crazy mare while the other was determined to catch up no matter what. The light-yellow mare tried to maneuvered around the ponies, ducked in between the alleys, and even fly straight through an opened window to get inside of one’s home and then came out outside through another opened window. But no matter what she does, Rainbow was still on her tail.

“L-leave me alone!” the yellow mare called out desperately.

“No wait please!” Rainbow pleaded loudly. “I just want that toy! I’ll even pay you double whatever the price was for it!”

The yellow mare yelped in fright as she flew straight down the street with Rainbow Dash slowly gaining on her.

“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT!” Rainbow screamed.

The yellow mare suddenly made a sharp right turn, which Rainbow failed to react. As a result, Rainbow Dash crashed into a cart filled with cultivated rounded vegetables, which were now piles of splinters and shriveled leaves.

MY CABBAGES!” cried an older stallion with a short white beard, green hat and yellow-green garbs.

Rainbow quickly got up and flew away from the cart.

“Sorry dude, I’ll pay back for those later!” Rainbow called back as she turned around the corner.

Once Rainbow entered another street, the met with a bigger crowd. Try as she might, Rainbow wasn’t able to locate the same mare with the Zapp action figure.

“No, no, no! Where did she go!?” Rainbow cried.

She flew around the area for a while until she gave up and sat in the middle of the road, huffing in frustration.

Just great! I lost the mare with the Zapp toy! Can this get any worse?

“There she is officer! That’s the mare who destroyed my cabbage cart!”

Rainbow quickly turned around and her face fell when she spotted the same stallion with cabbages from earlier, pointing at her with an angry expression. But he wasn’t alone. There stood next to him was none other than Officer Warrant, who had a deep frown on his face.

“Well… well… well,” Officer Warrant began, narrowing his eyes. “Getting yourself in trouble again, eh Dash?”

Rainbow let out a sigh in defeat.

Wonderful!

Author's Note:

Anyone who can spot a reference will get a cookie! :raritywink:

Next chapter tomorrow!