• Published 1st Dec 2017
  • 1,809 Views, 75 Comments

Dashin' All The Way! - sonicfan05



Rainbow Dash promised her stepdaughter, Scootaloo to get her a Zapp action figure for Hearth's Warming. However, the toy is sold out at every single store, resorting her to travel all over Equestria to find one.

  • ...
7
 75
 1,809

Epilogue

Ponyville was usually a crime free town. Rarely anypony spend a night in a jail cell within Ponyville’s police station. But when they did, it was a miserable experience for anypony, including Lightning Dust, who was lying on her bed, contemplating her thoughts.

Despite that Rainbow Dash and her whole family were not pressing charges against her, Lightning still broke the law and have to spend a couple nights in jail or paid a large sum of her bail. This disheartened the mare because that means she will miss Hearth’s Warming and lose her chance of ever connecting with her niece. While the cops were ‘kind’ enough to let her hold on to that toy that Scootaloo gave her from earlier, it doesn’t make a difference. While she did not blame Rainbow or any of the Sparkle family that she was stuck here, but Lightning wondered if this outcome would have made any difference if she haven’t saved Rainbow’s life from those changelings.

Lightning remembered from earlier today at the mall in Manehattan. After she escaped from being under a pile of crazy ponies, she left from the toy department and into the mall to chase after Rainbow for the ball. She managed to spot her and those strange stallions in Santa Hooves costumes as they all walked out of the store. Thinking that they’ll lead her to the Zapp doll; she decided to keep her distance and follow them until they’ve reached the warehouse. She then quietly flew up to the top of the roof and peered into one of the ceiling windows to have a better look.

As she spied on Rainbow talking to one of the costumed stallions, she was hoping that as soon as Rainbow received the toy, the sooner she’ll swoop in and take it out of Rainbow’s hooves. She waited until a short pony in his own Santa Hooves suit arrived with the toy. Just before Lightning was going to open the window, she saw Rainbow dumped the toy out of the box. To her shock, it only comes out in pieces. Lightning couldn’t help but to feel angry at these weasels for nearly pulled a fast one on her, even though she wasn’t really with them. Her anger turned to curiosity as she watched Rainbow Dash arguing with the two stallions, until Rainbow turned around and bucked them into their faces and sending them the wall.

She hated to admit it, but what Rainbow did to these stallions was awesome.

Her expression changed to concern as every costumed ponies suddenly surrounding Rainbow Dash at every angle. She was then horrified when they all the ‘ponies’ suddenly transformed into changelings except for the two stallions that led Rainbow here. There was no way Lightning could take them all on, so she decided to bail before one of these things spotted her.

She didn’t even make it a yard away from the warehouse before her conscious told her that she shouldn’t leave Rainbow behind to these monsters. While it was Lightning’s own fault that she was kicked out of academy, but she still blamed Rainbow for ratting her out to Spitfire. She would’ve convinced herself further to just leave Rainbow there… until she remembered that Rainbow said she had a daughter. Rainbow only briefly mentioned about her daughter at the time, but Lightning can tell she means the world to Rainbow, just like the relationship between herself and her niece. If there’s one thing she had in common with Rainbow Dash, is that they’ll do anything for the ponies that they love. Lightning would never forgive myself if that kid lost her mother because of her. In the end, she quickly found a nearby voice crystal booth and left her anonymous message to the authorities about the warehouse. While that made her life harder to get the toy afterwards, but at least she made a right decision.

Her thoughts were interrupted by one of the security officers, knocking on her cell door for her attention.

“What is it?” Lightning said in her dull tone, not bothering to turn and face them.

“We have a letter for you,” the officer said in her gruff voice.

“Whose it from?”

“They wished to keep it anonymous until you read it.”

“…whatever! It’s not like I have anything else to do today.”

She heard the officer sighed and placed some kind of paper through the door’s panel. She waited for the guard to walk away and when his hoofsteps faded away from her, she got up from her bed and makes her way towards the envelope by the cell door. She picked up the envelope and inspected it for a bit. There was no name of the sender or returning address on the envelope. The only thing that was written on the envelope was her name. With a reluctant sigh, Lightning opened the envelope and took out the letter. As she began to read the letter, her eyes widen in shock when she found out not only who the sender was, but the message that was laid out for her.

Hey Lightning,

This has been one crazy day, wasn’t it? We were both after the same thing for our kids for Hearth’s Warming and we make a competition out of it. But in the process, I’ve forgotten what truly matters for this holiday and any other day at all. It’s not getting your kid the best present to earn their love, it’s spending time with them and being there for them when they really need you.

That… and trying not to be so forgetful for the next event. LOL!

Anyway, we have our differences and you’re doing it the same reason as I do, and I respect that, but once again you’re doing this the wrong way. I know your life is hard and you didn’t get along with most of your family, so that’s why I decided to give you three of my gifts.

My first gift is my offer of friendship. Surprised huh? Well you probably never have a friend to help guide you to the right path. If you let me and are willing to start over, I will help you every step of the way.

Which leads to my second gift. I already sent a letter to Spitfire to give you the good word. If she approves, I’ll personally train you to not only be the top Wondercolt, but I will also teach you the value of teamwork. Don’t expect me to hold back. But again, it all depends on Spitfires’s word so don’t hold your breath just yet.

My third and final gift is I’m paying your bail so you can be out early. Don’t worry about owing us for the bill, Twilight and I got it covered. When you’re married to a princess, these bills were nothing but chump change. What you can do is use this opportunity to spend time with your niece. And if your family is still giving you a hard time, you and your niece are free to come visit us for our holiday dinner. No one deserves to spend Hearth’s Warming alone.

Hopefully, this will be a start of our friendship with a clean slate. If not after holidays, then we can at least take one day at a time. As for the whole thing we went through at the parade from earlier today, I forgive you. Until then, have a Happy Hearth’s Warming!


Your friend (hopefully),

Rainbow Dash

By the time Lighting finished reading her letter, her cheeks were soaked from her tears. Just then, she heard a metal creak from behind her. She slowly turned around to see the same officer, who gave her that letter a minute ago, opened up her cell door.

“Whelp, it looks like you got your early Hearth’s Warming present. You are free to go!” the officer said with a grunt before walking away. “Follow me please.”

As she followed the officer towards the main station, her mind replayed from the letter she read again and again. She couldn’t believe that the same mare she met at the academy was giving her another chance. On top of that, Rainbow was willing to wipe their slates clean and become her friend with no strings attached.

A second chance and a friendship offer huh? Lightning thought before she formed her genuine smile.

I like that.


At the Castle of Friendship, everypony from the entire town came over to not only celebrate for the upcoming Hearth’s Warming, but also to congratulate Rainbow for her heroic deed. Rainbow only interacted with them briefly in thanks before she goes back to spend time with her family. She and Scootaloo spent a few hours helping Twilight redecorating the castle back to its formal glory, including their tree.

As they redecorate, many party guests were hanging around talking, laughing, dancing and eating merrily with each other. Fluttershy and Rarity were having a conversation about what happened at the parade from earlier while drinking their punch. Pinkie was sharing her Hearth’s Warming story from her rock farm days with Applejack as the farmer herself listened with a smile on her face. Even Officer Warrent was trying to enjoy himeself at the party despite that awkward encounter with Rainbow after the parade.

He couldn't bring himself to arrest Rainbow after she saved her kid and became a hero at the parade (not to mention, an evil glare from Princess Twilight's sent chills down his spine). In the end, after their private discussion, Rainbow Dash was only sentenced to do community service sometime after the holidays. Despite that, there were no more hard feelings between Rainbow and Officer Warrant... for now.

In the center of the room, many guests watched on as the light purple unicorn and Spike were having an argument that has been going on since they first returned home from the parade.

“Pay up Starlight! I won the bet!” Spike argued loudly.

“No way! If anything, I won the bet!” Starlight countered just as loudly.

“Are you kidding? He got the toy from the parade!”

“But then Scootaloo gave that away!

“That doesn’t count!”

“Yes it is!”

“No it isn’t!”

“Yes it is!”

Perplexed from the scene in front of him, the brown stallion with dark brown mane turned towards his lady companion.

“Should we do something about this?” he asked.

The gray mare with blonde mane and yellow crossed eyes shrugged before she happily ate her muffin, much to the stallion’s confusion.

Meanwhile, the four fillies were standing by the hallway while having a conversation of their own.

“What a crazy day! We help set up a parade and then we watched a parade, only some crazy mare takes over to steal Scootaloo’s toy, only to be saved by Zapp, which turned out to be Rainbow Dash!” said Sweetie Belle before she hopped up in down in excitement with little tiny sparks came out from her horn. “This is the best Hearth’s Warming Eve EVER!

Silver Spoon stared at her friend strangely before she addressed the whole group. “Questioning your enthusiasm about that incident aside… I’m just glad that Scootaloo and everypony else were not hurt. This will be the most memorable parade event in Ponyville history, that’s for sure!”

Everypony nodded n agreement before Apple Bloom turned towards Diamond.

“Ah’m glad you came to our party Diamond,” said Apple Bloom. “Is your father coming?”

“He should be coming soon… after the divorcing process with my mother is finished,” Diamond said with a sigh.

Apple Bloom frowned, feeling sorry for her friend. “Shucks… Ah’m so sorry that happened to ya Diamond.”

Diamond gave Apple Bloom her reassuring smile. “Don’t be. She had it coming for years! She stopped acting like my mother even before I got my cutie mark. With luck, she’ll be sent back to Fillydelphia where she’s from and never come back!”

Apple Bloom smiled back. “Well at least she’ll stop botherin’ us and Scoot’s family and not causing trouble anymore. Ah’m surprised that your dad didn’t press any charges against Rainbow about blowin’ up part of yer house! He didn’t even take up Twilight’s offer to pay for the damages!”

“Well after Twilight told him the story, he understood from a perspective of a parent and he forgave her,” Diamond explained before she placed her hoof at the back of her neck. “That… and he was planning to remodel that room after the holidays anyway.”

Sweetie Belle blinked. “Wow… who knew?”

On the other side of the main room, Scootaloo helped Rainbow Dash put on some finishing touches by placing the star on top of the tree, while she was held up by Rainbow. Once Scootaloo placed the star on top, she and Rainbow cheered and they wrapped each other into a hug as Rainbow slowly descending to the floor.

“Great job Scoot! I knew you could do it!” Rainbow praised.

“Thanks Rainbow Dash! We make a good team!” said Scootaloo. Once Rainbow landed safely to the floor, Scootaloo spoke up as soon as she stood on the ground. “Rainbow… can I talk to you about something?”

Rainbow nodded. “Sure, what’s up Scoots?”

Scootaloo stared at Rainbow with hesitation, not sure what to until she finally sighed. “Um… remember last night when you asked me what I want for Hearth’s Warming?” she asked softly. After Rainbow nodded at her question, she looked away in shame. “Well… the thing is… I lied… sorta.”

Rainbow raised her eyebrow in surprise. “What do you mean?”

With some struggle, Scootaloo faced towards Rainbow again, and spoke directly towards Rainbow eyes. “Well… I did want a Zapp action figure, but it was actually the second thing I wanted.”

Rainbow titled her head in confusion. “Then… what is your first?”

“Spending more time… with you,” Scootaloo answered. Not wanting to see Rainbow’s reaction, she looked away again. “I didn’t say it because I thought you might think it’s dumb or I acted selfish, especially that you’re already working hard as it is. While it’s nice seeing you at night or on some weekends, but I only wish I could see more of you… just as I wish I could see more of my—”

Scootaloo stopped and felt her throat tighten and eyes tearing up from remembering her parents. She hated that she showed her weakness to everypony, including towards Rainbow Dash. She doesn’t want to make Rainbow think she was weak and pathetic when she gets so sappy. Before she could scold herself, she felt a wing wrapping her up and pushed her towards warmth. She looked up in surprised to see Rainbow Dash, giving her her rare motherly look.

“Scoots… you’re not selfish and don’t think any of your requests are dumb,” she said softly. “There’s nothing wrong with wanting to spend more time with me. In hindsight, I should’ve realized how much I missed out sooner. But you’re going to get your Hearth’s Warming wish buddy!”

“W-what?” Scootaloo uttered with her widen eyes.

“I’ve already sent my letter to Spitfire about my dates and hours change. Let’s just say… you’re going to seeing more of me for now on buddy!” Rainbow said with her confident smirk.

Scootaloo face lit up when she understood the meaning of Rainbow’s words. Almost immediately after, Scootaloo wrapped Rainbow up into a hug with Rainbow happily returned it. They stayed that way for what seemed like minutes until they heard Apple Bloom called out to them.

“Hey Scoots! We’re about to play hide and seek! Are you goin’ to join us?”

She really didn’t want to leave Rainbow’s embrace and rather wanted to stay with her. She was about to call back to turn Apple Bloom down, but Rainbow interrupted.

“Go on Scoots! I’ll be here when you’re done,” Rainbow reassured softly. “And we can still spend more time all day tomorrow on Hearth’s Warming! Okay… my daughter?”

Scootaloo smiled back. “You got it… mom.”

Rainbow felt her heart fluttered and prevented herself from tearing up at Scootaloo’s words. They hugged each other for the last time before Scootaloo happily skipping away towards her friends. Rainbow stared at her retreating daughter’s back with a sense of pride and accomplishment. While this was indeed a start, but she was very happy that her relationship with her stepdaughter—no, her daughter was better than ever.

“I gotta say Rainbow, you really are amazing.”

Rainbow smirked and turned towards her wife, who had a beaming smile on her face. “Hey what can I say? I’m an awesome mom!”

Twilight smile then changed into a look of guilt. “Listen… I’m sorry for what I said too, back when we’re at the manor. I was so stressed from the parade and Spoiled that I—”

“Don’t!” Rainbow interjected. “There’s no need for you to apologize. I’ll admit, it hurts yeah, but I deserved it. Heck, I’m still kicking myself for almost stealing that toy… all because of my stupidity. But like I said, I’m gonna change all that! I already talked to Spitfire and she agreed to give me a schedule change so I can spend time with all of you. And I won’t miss another event again. Count on it!”

Twilight smiled sweetly. “Oh Rainbow… that’s what I always love about you, your loyalty and that big heart of yours! And the fact that you went through so many crazy things you have to go through today, really showed me how much you love Scootaloo.”

“Of course I love her Twi,” said Rainbow with a smile of her own. “Even if I woke up the next day, only to find out that this day is somehow reset, I would do it all over again!

Twilight smirked. “Well if it is, hopefully you won’t try to steal or fight changelings again!”

They both chuckled at Twilight’s humor. Soon they stared deeply into each other’s eyes for a moment before they slowly leaned into each other to the point that their foreheads were touching each other and they shared their loving kiss. They stayed in that position for a while until Twilight spoke up.

“Speaking of which, in light of everything you did for a toy… well… I just wanted to ask you something.”

Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrow. “Oh? What that?”

Twilight looked up to Rainbow’s face and smiled slyly. “What did you get me?~”























oh crud!

Author's Note:

Whelp, that's the end of my Christmas/Holiday story and I hope you all enjoyed it! I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, or whatever Holiday you celebrated and have a happy and safe new year! :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 15 )

Forgot something, eh Dash? Great story.

Please make a sequel! This was so funny and made my heart flutter! There really needs to be more stories like this out there.

8623417
Fair enough, but the joke was starting to redundent

Jingle all the way is by no means the best movie ever, but it's still an ok movie to watch.

I love your take on this fic, having stuck to the idea while adding in your own spin on it, it was great :D I loved the relationship with Twi and RD, and Scoots is adorable.

I also like how you handled Lightning Dust, and the follow up to her getting arrested.

Overall a great story that I will definitely read again


ps. If Rainbow still has that Zapp costume, that could help her give Twilight a gift :rainbowkiss:

8962247
Thank you so much! I'm glad you like my story! :twilightsmile:

Twilight looked up to Rainbow’s face and smiled slyly. “What did you get me?~”


































oh crud!

Well Rainbow, you're back to square one:rainbowlaugh:!!!

9357390
Wow! Thank you so much for the compliment! I worked really hard on this fic and I'm glad that you are enjoying my take on Jingle All the Way with Rainbow Dash!

I hope you enjoy the rest of my story! :twilightsmile:

Loved this story from begging to end and glad everything worked out.

Hope to see you write something else in this continuity, whether it be a full on sequel with say Twilight struggling to get a Rainbow a Hearts and Hooves Day gift (it would be funny to see shoe on the other hoof) of just a short story about Lighting and Rainbow talking about the aftermath of this and arranging a play date between Speedy Dust and Scootaloo. Either way love this take on the characters you've made and hope to see more of it.

8962425
Well time to re-read this story (probably multiple times within the next week)

Tis the season of Hearths Warming after all :twilightsmile:

Time to fall in love with story all over again :rainbowkiss:

Oh crud indeed!!! :rainbowlaugh: what a great way to end this story! Even if it was a near copy/paste of the movie, you still adapted it VERY WELL into MLP lore. Excellent work!!

“Speaking of which, in light of everything you did for a toy… well… I just wanted to ask you something.”

Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrow. “Oh? What that?”

Twilight looked up to Rainbow’s face and smiled slyly. “What did you get me?~”


































oh crud!

Minute 0:37-0:44

WAIT! I KNOW THIS PLOT!!!! BUT WHAT MOVIE WAS IT FROM??? Help me!!! All I remember that it was the action figure Turbo Man.

still a great story for right before christmas :eeyup:

Login or register to comment