• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 1,182 Views, 12 Comments

Revenant Soul: Genesis and The Weather Elements - cyber_pony13



The mane six meet a new colt who has ties to the anomilies in Equestria. Is he to be trusted?

  • ...
3
 12
 1,182

Chapter 9: Sparks in the Heart

Knight Training Grounds, Animardia


It was a nice day outside in the training grounds for the knights of the blue flame to train. A young blue stallion was dueling with his mentor. For them it was a normal training day but to the other knights they thought they were seriously trying to kill each other. Every strike that was thrown, a guard or parry was conducted. Back and forth the momentum would jump between the two stallions. Between the blows thrown, horns slashes, and soul magic strikes, the battle was more than a duel but a showcase of skill. The young stallion thrusted his horn at his mentors throat, and he responded with a parry. The young stallion grinned; he then feinted with the attack and quickly switched to bucking his mentor, breaking his guard.

“This is it, now is my chance.” The young stallion thought to himself.

After breaking his mentor’s guard, he swung with his momentum and had his horn charged with soul magic. He then did a rising slash with his horn which would send a shockwave of soul magic at his opponent. It would’ve been the finishing blow, but his mentor allowed his guard to be broken and have his loss of balance played to his advantage. As the young stallion rose with the attack, his mentor flipped out of the way of the attack as well as the shockwave and took a combat stance.

“Good job…” In a flash the mentor zipped by his student with his horn glowing, “But you still have more to learn.” Then nine explosion of magic hit the young stallion, dropping him to the ground.

The young stallion was defeated. He sighed at his defeat but his mentor walked up to him offering his hoof. The young stallion took it and stood up to face his master. He couldn’t see his master’s face due to the half mask that he always wore that covered it.

“Good job Rev, you’ve grown a lot.” His mentor spoke to him.

“Thank you, I thought I had you there, but I’ll get you next time, Master Sif.” The young Revenant responded. Lord Sif then smiled at him.

“We’ll see about that. That was good of you to feint your opponent and then proceed with that attack and could’ve worked, but you gave yourself away.” Lord Sif responded.

“Then what was it that I did wrong Master Sif?”

“That stupid smile on your face,” Revenant was confused at what Lord Sif told him. “Whenever you seize the moment, you draw that stupid smile on your face and give yourself away. For the undisciplined, they would never notice but for someone with miniscule deductive skills could see that you were preparing something.” Lord Sif sternly responded. The young Revenant then bowed his head to his master.

“Very well then master, I will train to refine myself.”

“You’re a good stallion. Strong in heart and spirit, a smart mind, and great potential…But that stupid smile is going to be the death of you. Still, you have all the qualities to master soul magic. I will get you there only if you want me to.” Lord Sif praised him.

“I will master it, count on it.” Revenant said smiling.

“*sigh*There’s that stupid smile again…” Lord Sif was then interrupted when a messenger came by with a scroll. He took it, read it, and handed it back to the messenger. “It seems the royal family has requested for me. Rev, keep doing well and continue with the rest of today’s training.” As Lord Sif followed the messenger, the rest of the knights stood at attention. After he left the rest of the knights quickly surrounded Revenant.

“Dude, we thought you had him I think you should’ve won.” One of the knights said.

“Well Lord Sif said it was something easily readable so I still need to work harder.” Revenant responded.

“Are you kidding me? There’s no way anypony would’ve seen that coming. A miniscule amount of deduction skill to Lord Sif is practically equal to the quick keen eye of the top ten archers in Animardia.” Another knight said.

“Well…”

“He’s just being hard on you Rev. We know you’re good, heck phenomenal more like it.” Another knight interrupted Revenant.

“I guess so. No matter what though, I will beat him and when that day comes I’ll know I’ve mastered soul magic.” Revenant responded.

They were about to continue their training when a young stallion came limping into the training ground. Revenant and the knights rushed to the injured knight to help their brother in arm. He told them he was attacked and that his opponent was surprisingly skilled. Then a voice called out drawing all the knights attention.

“Don’t listen to that wuss. He’s weak and an idiot,” The attacker said as she emerged from the woods into the training ground.

Revenant and the knights were confused to see that the attacker was a young beautiful mare. Her cream colored coat only complimented her hazelnut hair but most importantly her golden eyes.

“You know I thought you ‘knights of the blue flame’ were supposed to be the elite and honorable not this sad excuse for a stallion.” The mare pointed at the injured knight.

“How dare you speak so ungratefully to us? Have you any idea what we do to keep this country safe and in harmony?” One of the knights angrily responded. The rest of the knights rose ready to fight.

“Stand down gents, let me handle this.” Revenant said stepping in front of his comrades.

“But Rev she…”

“Stand down.” Revenant said getting serious. A lot of the knights knew when Revenant got this serious; things were going to get resolved.

“Okay then, you mind telling me why one of my comrades is claiming that you’ve assaulted him?” Revenant asked the mare.

“Assualt? After what he did, I think that was the least I could do to him.” She responded.

“Well then what did he do?”

“My little sister was about to break up with him. He didn’t take to kindly to it so he thought of getting a little payback was just.” The mare answered.

“What do you mean by payback?”

“Well it looked like as though he broke in a trash the place but how was I supposed to know what he would do next?”

“Is this true?” Revenant glared at the injured knight.

“Well…not all of it…just the breaking in and trashing part…I wasn’t going to do anything else I swear.”

“We’ll discuss this later but for now…” Revenant said as he turned to the mare. “May I ask who you are?”

“Why? You wanna try a crack at me?” She scoffed at him.

“You are a lovely mare, but the reasons to know who you are is in case we need names if this matter has to be escalated to a higher level.” Revenant said.

“I see, trying to keep this matter under the rug huh. Fine then, my name is Terra Belleza and you?” Terra asked.

“Revenant and that is all you get to know.”

“Fair enough, I know how you knights have your little code names, but still I think I should take this up to your superiors.”

“Then what can I do to keep this issue…as discreet as possible.” Revenant offered.

“What can you do huh…?” Terra took a moment to think of what she would want. “How ‘bout I fight you? You look strong.”

“I see…” This caught Revenant off guard. “Fair enough, what are your terms?”

“If I win, I get to inform your superiors and you recommend the maximum punishment for your friend.”

“And what if I win?”

“If you win then I’ll trust you to punish him properly and will let this be discreet.” Her terms were harsh and in her favor, but there weren’t any other options.

“Fair enough, but I must warn you…” Revenant took a combat stance. “You’re in for the ride of your life.”

“That’s what most stallions say before they fail.” Terra coldly said taking her stance.

“Well then I promise to satisfy you then.”

“That is yet to be seen.”

The two then clashed. To Revenant’s surprise, she was pretty good. Nearly every blow he’d thrown, she would have a guard or a dodge for it. She would also see moments when to strike and either barely miss or scathe Revenant. He underestimated her and decided to kick things up a notch. He filled his horn with some soul magic and tried a couple slashes at her. These slashes would only have magic hit and not actually cause any cuts. One slash got her and caused her to back off.

“Surprised you there huh?” Revenant taunted her. “You’re pretty good, but against me…it’ll end here.”

Revenant then charged and began to unleash an onslaught of attacks on her. She was able to dodge or block a majority of attacks but the few got her hindered her capabilities. Revenant went in to finish her but Terra then turned the battle in her favor. She caught Revenant’s finishing strike and used his momentum against him to spin him around of couple of times before slamming him. The spins forced Revenant to land incorrectly, forcing him to land hard on his back. He quickly got up and assumed his stance.

“You’re not so bad yourself. Definitely worth the fight, but I thought you ‘knights’ were supposed to be unmatched in combat.” Terra taunted back at him.

“But of course we are especially to worthy opponents… and it seems I’ve met one. Shall we?” Revenant said offering to continue the fight.

“Let’s,” Terra responded with a smile.

They both continued to fight but this time it wasn’t out of spite. They fought because they loved it. Whatever hate and rage that fueled the fight was now gone. Instead it was fueled with joy, pleasure, and ecstasy. There were moments to where they would actually be laughing as they fought. The spectators didn’t see two ponies fighting, but saw two ponies communicating and building a bond. This was the first time Revenant and Terra felt such pleasures from a fight. Within the fight, it looked as though these two were destined for each other.


Revenant’s audience was amazed at his tale and was held in silence.

“That…that is amazing,” Rarity said breaking the silence, “To think something so wonderful was found in something as barbaric as a fight.”

“Yeah…everypony said that we were star-crossed lovers and that it was meant to be.” Revenant said

“So what happened next?” Pinkie Pie said full of anticipation.

“Well her little sister arrived and stopped us. Honestly, we didn’t want all the fun we were having to end, but it had to and we went our separate ways. Though after that we kept running into each other a lot, literally, and we decided to go out. Things just went great from there and we decided to get married and raise a family. The royal family hosted the wedding and then I left the ‘knights of the blue flame’.”

“Wait you left? Why would you do that?” Rainbow Dash asked. Everypony was shocked to now see Rainbow Dash involved in the story.

“I didn’t want to end up disappearing on them like what my dad had done to me. I explained myself and surprisingly, my master told me it was for the best. The royal family then gave me a job and I settled down with my family.” Revenant then took in a deep breath for the next part. “Sadly, that joy only lasted a couple years, in fact. It has only been a few months since I lost them.”

Everypony was shocked to hear it. This was the part they didn’t want to come to but knew it would happen eventually.

“Revenant…you can tell us another time…if that’s okay with you?” Fluttershy asked.

“No…I’ve gone this far and I’m going finish. Within the city, a civil war began to rise and things were getting ugly. I did what I could avoid getting involved directly but Terra and it was inevitable. We did what we could and things looked like they were going to turn out well. But then…” Revenant’s expression went dark. The girls feared to hear what he had to say next, “One day, our neighbored got attacked. It was so sudden that nopony knew what to do, except for me. I did what I could to aid the citizens and my family but then…” Revenant began to lose his cool. “But then I can’t remember a thing after that. I remember aiding others but then things just went black from there. I remember fire, screams, crying, death, and sorrow, but I don’t remember what happened.”

“Revenant its alri…” Twilight began to say.

“No it’s not!” He snapped at her. “Because after all that happened, the next thing I know I’m waking up in a pile of burnt rubble to see everything ravaged. I searched everywhere to find them but only found my wife and son’s corpses and the charred remains of my house!”

The girls were horrified to hear what he said. They all sat there in silence, devastated at what they heard. Revenant couldn’t hold back anymore.

“To my horror, I found my family dead. Everything that I lived for was taken away from me and I didn’t know who to blame. The knights found me later burying my family and brought me before the royal family. They gave me the chance to help them, and I took it, but this time I was out for blood. I saw what had to be done to end the civil war, but it would come with a heavy price.”

“What was it that you had to do?” Twilight dared to ask.

“I had to infiltrate the enemy and bring them down from the inside. It worked but it labeled me as a traitor to my own and was going to be sentenced to death. So I had no choice but to leave and search for a new home. I should’ve given up but I promised my mother that I never would and so I continued to live my life.” Revenant then dried his eyes and turned away from the girls. He didn’t wish to speak anymore.

“…and now we’re here with you girls.” Levia finished up. “I’m really sorry you girls had to hear that.”

“No, we needed to know.” Applejack said

“Revenant…I’m so sorry for all that you’ve been through.” Twilight said trying to approach him.

“Its fine…what matters is what I do from here. Twilight…I’m sorry for snapping at you earlier. I lost it but I’m fine now.” Revenant somberly said. The girls knew that he wasn’t holding up to well. “I’ll see you girls tomorrow, have a goodnight.” Revenant then left them and went to his room.

The girls were silent for a moment and decided it was best they leave to. It started to get dark outside and was about time for everypony to go home. As the girls were making their way out, Levia went to stop Twilight.

“Levia what is it?” Twilight asked.

“Twilight you need to talk to him.” Levia told her.

“What? Why me?”

“Because out of everypony here, he trusts you the most.”

“I don’t know the way he snapped earlier was like disturbing an Ursa Minor who missed his nap. Plus he doesn’t seem in the talkative mood anymore.”

“Ursa what?” Levia asked.

“You know an Ursa Minor.”

“Never mind that. Tell me Twilight, how do you feel about Revenant?” Levia asked. Twilight wasn’t sure how to answer this question.

“Well he seems alright…just he has a lot to deal with…” Levia was glaring at Twilight for a clearer answer. For a pony sprite, her icy glare was one that could nearly match Fluttershy’s stare. “Okay…I really like him, a lot. The two weeks he spent living with me were one of the best times I’ve had and it pains me to see him this way. I didn’t really want him to leave and wanted him to stay but I just don’t know how he feels about me.”

“*sigh* you ponies nowadays…Twilight, Revenant cares a lot about you too.” Levia said.

“Really?”

“Yeah he’s just too dense to realize it and let’s his mind get ahead of him more than his heart.”

“Well he was pretty stubborn when I was telling him to get some bed rest.” They both shared a small laugh from that.

“You see Twilight, you two would be great together,” Levia now pointed to Revenant’s room, “Now go, help him from himself, and show him what’s to be found here.”

“Alright Levia…I’ll do it,” She began to head to his room but stopped and turned to Levia, “and thank you.” She then went to go check up on Revenant.

“Twilight!” Rarity called out for her. She saw Levia and went up to her, “Levia, where is Twilight?”

“She said she would catch up. She just wants to ‘check’ on Revenant to make sure he’s fine.” Levia hinted.
Before Rarity could respond they heard a little purple dragon running in their direction with the rest of the girls.
Twilight paused in front of Revenant’s door. She wondered exactly how he was going to respond to her, what she would say, how she would say it, and…

“No, I should just go in there and do my best.” She said to herself. She then knocked on his door. “Revenant, its Twilight…can I come in?” There was a short pause before she heard a reply.

“You can come in.” Revenant said as he answered the door.

“Revenant…I wanted to check on you before leaving to see if you’re okay.”

“Yeah I’m…no…I’m not alright.”

“Then what is it that’s really bugging you?”

“It’s just that…I lost everything that I once had and now I have things to care for once again. But I fear as though I’m doomed to lose it all once again.”

“It’s okay. I know you’re afraid but nothing bad will happen to us.” Twilight said while she embraced a surprised Revenant.

“How can you be so sure? What if I end bringing chaos to you and your friends?”

“We’ve dealt with trouble before and if anymore comes, then we’ll take care of it together.” Twilight said comforting his fears.

“Strange I believe you, it’s just that…” He then looked her in the eyes. “It’s just that I don’t want to lose you. I really care for you and I just don’t to lose somepony that I lo…” He then realized what he was about to say and turned away from her.

“Revenant,” Twilight said turning his head so she can look at him. “It’s okay, I feel the same way for you and it just scares me every time to see you push yourself so hard and I don’t want to see you get hurt.” Revenant could feel his heart racing now. He decided that it was best to lead with his heart and not his mind this time.

“Twilight, I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For everything, I should’ve been more open with you. I realize now that all of you are precious to me and I don’t want anything bad happen to you girls…Especially to you and I promise I won’t let anything happen to you.” Twilight then wrapped her hooves around Revenant’s head and he wrapped his hooves around her.

“I know you will.” She said as she slowly leaned in to kiss Revenant.

They were close enough to kiss when Spike busted in. He panted heavily at the ground and couldn’t look up from the fatigue.

“Spike? What are you doing here?” Twilight asked in surprise.

“I….I….hold on let me catch my breath…” Spike said as he gasped for air.

Twilight saw that he had a scroll in his claw and used her magic to read it. She sighed at what she had read.

“What did it say Twilight?” Revenant asked.

“The Princess has requested that we retrieve the next weather element. She has arranged transportation for us and we’re supposed to meet with somepony at the town market tomorrow morning.” Twilight responded.

“Then another task from the Princess we must fulfill. Let’s get a good night’s rest, tomorrow is probably going to be rough like the last one.”

“Okay…C’mon Spike let’s go home.” Twilight said as she walked off with Spike. All he could give as a response was a thumbs up as he followed her.

Revenant sat there realizing what just happened and was a little ticked off at Spike barging in at that moment. Still Revenant was pretty happy to know how she felt, so it didn’t bother him too bad. Then he heard a set of hooves heading in his direction.

“Hello who…” Revenant was going to ask when he saw it was Twilight. “Twilight what are you…”

He was cut-off when he felt her soft lips pressed against his. She pulled away and looked into his surprised eyes.

“Sleep well Revenant, I’ll see you tomorrow.” After that she left to catch up with everypony else.

Revenant stood there in silence realizing what just happened. Then a little pony sprite floated on in with a smile across her face.

“Don’t worry Rev; Levia will look out for you. Now you can thank and praise me for my generosity.”

“Thank you Levia but next time try not to let a cock block happen.” Revenant said as he joked with Levia.

“Well at least now you and Twilight got somewhere. So…” She asked.

“So…”

“It was a decent amount of time for you two to be alone with each other.”

“Nothing really happened if that’s what you are asking.” Revenant responded.

“But your tail says otherwise,” She said looking at his tail twitching. “So…

Revenant grabbed his tail out of embarrassment to stop its twitching.

“So…we just kissed that’s all and made a promise.” Revenant said walking off. Levia followed him.

“So you two made a promise and sealed the deal with a kiss? Well it’s a start so when am I expecting foals?” Levia asked. Revenant glared at her for that one. “Too soon?”

“Yes, and now we should go to sleep; we’ve got a long day ahead of us tomorrow.” Revenant said as he was getting ready to go to sleep. Levia went to her little bed hanging by the window and got herself all tucked in.

“Before I forget…I know you didn’t tell them when they were together, but when it was just you and Twilight…did you tell her everything?” Levia quietly asked. Revenant gave her a heavy sigh. She knew that his next answer wasn’t good.

“No…not even Twilight should know. I don’t want to plague her with such darkness that resides within me.” Revenant sadly answered.

“So when you said you didn’t remember what happened, you were lying?” Levia continued to ask.

“Not entirely…I remember enough to know that something’s should never be spoken of.” Revenant answered.
They both laid there in silence, reflecting the next task from the Princess. ‘Sleep well’. Those words echoed in Revenant’s head. He could only hope that his soul wouldn’t be haunted anymore but at least, not as bad.

Alrighty then, now that you've made it this far...have a cupcake! Besides that, the story is about halfway now. IStory is officially off hold! Hooray! Now to continue editing five more chapters. Until then thank you for reading this far, I plan on making the wait worth it.