• Published 23rd Nov 2017
  • 802 Views, 103 Comments

Same World, Different Realities - Mocha Star



Twilight plans to explore the Far North. Ruthenium wanted to vacation to the boundaries of her kingdom. Nothing had prepared their own lives to change so much.

  • ...
28
 103
 802

Leaving for the Boonies

“Ruthenium! I’ll never forget those eyes for all my days,” Star Gazer shouted in greeting to the mare as she rode a hovering cart powered by her magic into his driveway.

“Oh, you are too kind as always. Will you offer me a nuzzle or shall I take one?”Ruthenium countered when the cart stopped and landed.

“I agree to both,” he laughed loudly and trotted to her just as she placed her hooves on solid concrete. He nuzzled her in greeting but leaned back before she could touch her horn to his. “Tut, tut. We are no longer paired, and as such, I won’t share myself with you, lest I incur the wrath of blizzards for years to come.”

A mare with a haughty voice shouted from the house. “Speak of me as though I haven’t ears and I will offer you to the scorpions and snakes in the pit of judgment! Come, Ruthenium, let me see what my stallion left behind so he may have a proper mare.”

The two rolled their eyes and shared an apologetic look for different reasons. “Ruthenium’s here as a waypoint, not to be dressed down,” he called as he turned to the mare in the doorway. Both mares locked eyes and Ruthenium wilted under the higher-class mares authority and sizable horn that was nearly as long as her own front leg.

“Does she ever take care of her horn?” Ruthenium whispered to Star, who shook his head.

“She’s got it in her head she’s nobilities finest.”

Ruthenium blew air from the side of her mouth quietly. “Every unihorn is noble.”

The pair walked to the house and stood side by side before his new mate. “Argentum, this is Ruthenium. Ruthenium, this is my better and lover Argentum. Ruthenium is a gem shaper in the power cores, holds the title of supervisor, and is fond of yellow.

“Ruthenium, this is Argentum. She is of the second tier nobility, enjoys belittling others, and is fond of clothes fancier than what she’s currently wearing.”

There was a silence as both mares looked at him and then smiled at each other. “Come in, Ruthenium. Star, perhaps you’d like to graze or play in the sprinklers while us adults get acquainted.”

He nodded to the mares and turned away as the door shut behind them.

“You have a lovely home, Argentum. It’s far nicer than what Star and I shared,” Ruthenium started as she was led to the den.

“Thank you, it’s nice to see you understand quality at your level. However, there are many problems with this house that you will never experience as you will be here for a mere night,” she looked down her muzzle at Ruthenium.

“Meh, a night too long. I’ll be up before Queen Platinum Luscious, bringer of Light and Wisdom raises the sun, by then I’ll off to begin my tour of the outer edges and out of your mane as you will be out of mine. It’s tolerable to meet you, at best, Argentum.”

“Hrmph. Star was right about many things about you, one of them being that you are quite tolerable as well. Most mares I’ve met are either braggarts or cowards, you’re one of the few who has spoken to me honestly, and I respect that. I will afford you the opportunity to share your magic with Star if you wish.”

“I would like that, as we do still hold a fondness for each other, even we have moved on to better pastures.”

“Yes, you may enjoy pastures while I look down on you from my meadow,” Argentum took a reserved seat on a large cushion and let a small smile play on her lips as Ruthenium sat opposite her.

“A meadow is a host to many more bugs than a pasture, but you know that already, don’t you?”

Both mares smiled and nodded to one another. “Ruthenium, you are quite welcome to stay as long as you wish. I can tell a strong mare when I see one and to be honest, I’d prefer to keep playing as though we were at odds when Star is around.”

“As is the custom,” Ruthenium grinned and glanced to where the entry door was. “So, how are you, really?”

Argentum sighed and relaxed her neck, back, legs, and tail. “Oh, it hurts being pompous all the time,” she whined in a much more common voice, “airs and all that,” she looked at her horn and her eyes relaxed as it shrunk to a more common size. “Oh, that’s so much better. Headaches are part of life, it seems.”

“Beauty is pain, they say,” Ruthenium smiled and her horn lit as she sent some magic to the other mares horn.

“Oh, oh my. Yes, that’s much better. You’re such a sweet mare! How did Star lose you?”

Ruthenium stopped her spell and sighed. “I left him when he wanted a foal. I wasn’t ready by any means at the time. I’m still not ready, and that’s why I denied your offer to join your family.”

“Oh, I was wondering why your message was layered in such an awkward way,” Argentum tilted her head.

“I couldn’t figure out which spell to send denying your offer, so I sent three, and I guess they got confuzzled in transit.”

“The aethernet is limited to two spells per message for third nobility and you, my dear, are third,” she laughed lightly, “however they’ll never tell anyhorn that.”

“Males. It’s a good thing we keep them under hoof,” Ruthenium said before they shared a laugh. “If they had any idea…”

“Don’t offer them the chance! Princess Platinum forbid!”

The front door opened and a thud got their attention. “Ruthenium, I have your trunk. It’s heavy. Shall I store it or leave it by the door?”

With a roll of her eyes, Argentum returned to a proper stance. “Leave it in the rain for all I care.”

“By the door is fine. I’m in no rush to stay any longer than I must.”

They grinned at each other at his sigh. “Fine, just don’t hurt each other when I’m upstairs taking a nap.”

“Surely the world will end while you’re resting,” Argentum shouted.

The mares shared an apologetic look for the same reason. “He’s still a nice stallion, right?”

“One of the best second-tier nobles there is. Can you imagine the waste if he was in the breeding stables?”

They shared a congenial laugh.


Ruthenium drove her cart at the top speed she could manage as she panted from exertion. “Spell, spell, spell! I can’t believe I overslept. Of all the days to oversleep it has to be the day I have to catch the transport on time,” she admonished herself as she saw the terminal approach. With a grin that broke through the stress, she sped into the parking lots and stopped as quickly as was safe before she cast a spell and the cart seemed to shrink to the size of her hoof.

Putting the cart in her chest pocket, she lifted her travel trunk and galloped through the pony-sized doorway and into a lovely, warm, sunny entryway of a hotel. She looked at the statue of some fashionable unicorn she didn’t know and growled in frustration. “Uncle of a mud pony!” she turned and practically leaped back through the doorway and landed where she’d left and looked at a display panel beside the door.

“Spiral City? I don’t need Spiral City; I need Dream Crescent,” she planted her hooves firmly on the ground and sent a spell to the display, linking her mind to it as she recalibrated the destination. When there was a charge added to her bill for missing the first portal she reluctantly accepted and wailed in short-term agony as magic was torn from her very essence.

“Mommy, is she hurt?” a young colt asked loudly as he passed her.

“No, she’s obviously poor and deserves to pay for her poverty. Come along, Blue, don’t gawk at the lower classes.”

Ruthenium opened her eyes and looked at the ground in front of her through a headache with a sad pout. One more portal hop and I’ll be relaxing in a hot bubble bath for two weeks of bliss. I’ll recover my mana by then, and I’ll have a word about getting a gem or ten to refund my fees from the office.

She planted her hooves and stood, taking her trunk in her magic, she dragged it through with her and let it lay where it was as she fell to her belly in exhaustion.

“Miss Ruthenium? My goodness, what happened to you?”

She looked aside and smiled weakly. “A valet? For me? So kind.”

“Uh, sis? It’s me. Random Ruthenium, did you get charged for being late?” she nodded weakly to his question, and he huffed. “Those greedy bastards. You know all that mana goes into gems that the elite use to power their bidets and hot baths? What a waste.”

She leaned into him as she got up and took in his scent. It was definitely her brother, and that was comforting. “I haven’t been with the family for what feels like generations. I brought my cart.”

“Good for you, I’ve brought the car."

“Jerk.”

“Pauper.”

They shared a quiet laugh as he led her toward an open cart with wheels and an encased mana powered engine. He let her take the back seat as she recovered from her drain as he took a position in the front and charged his horn. “So, how’s work in the big city? Still living at that place with the mudder power?”

“Ugh, no! That place stank like them in the worst way. No air filters could keep the smell away, so I moved to a penthouse on Turner Street.”

“Well, somehorn’s moving up. Soon you may be able to hobnob your way into the second tier by merit alone.”

She laughed mockingly. “Yeah, when preeners take over the skies.”

“Ha, you still believe those rumors about flying ponies?” was his indignant response.

“They’re true! I read in the news that a mare knew a stallion that knew a colt’s sister that was neighbors with a doctor and a pony was born with wings! It was on the aethernet news; it has to be true!”

“Yeah, you say that like it’s true. Fox News can take over the aethernet with their satire crap, but I’d prefer to read any source of news over that crap; like that crazy stallion that lives by the river in the van. Remember him? He’d tell the future by the frequency of his own farts? Yeah, that guy’s more reliable.”

“Well, Fox News is the real truth, and only smart ponies know that.”

He rolled his eyes as they got to a good speed on the highway and a magic field created a dome protecting them from various forces while they drove. “Yeah, says who? Them?”

“No, Governor Trumpet! The leader of-” she was cut off by a radio turning on loudly. She winced as loud music filled their ears; she quickly used her magic to turn it off. “What the hay?! Can’t stand to know the real truth about the lies you’re told by ‘standard media?’ You’re one of the reasons why the monarchy is hiding the real facts!

“Preeners are real, and there’s even a rumor of a secret pony tribe, beyond the barrier, which is both unihorn and preener!”

He groaned with a sigh and knew he was in for a very long drive that not even a silence spell could block out. "And part mudder?"

"Euck, why would you even suggest that?! Disgusting, you can joke all you want but I stand by my claims that-"

Author's Note:

In honesty I had and have a bit of a tough time writing this half of the coin, but as the story title says...