• Published 23rd Nov 2017
  • 802 Views, 103 Comments

Same World, Different Realities - Mocha Star



Twilight plans to explore the Far North. Ruthenium wanted to vacation to the boundaries of her kingdom. Nothing had prepared their own lives to change so much.

  • ...
28
 103
 802

Transversing

Author's Note:

Special thanks to kildeez for helping with this chapter!

“It’s been two days, Twilight! What’ve you figured out with Princess Platinum the Fiftieth, or whatever? Ponies are getting hurt and all you’re doing is talking.”

“Rainbow Dash, pleeease calm down,” Twilight rubbed her temple with a wingtip as she trotted across The Galaxy’s deck. “They’ve stemmed and calmed the outer cities’ residence and what military, militia, and police forces remain have started to work with ponies in more central cities.”

Rainbow hovered beside Twilight. “So, what? They’re arresting them, sealing their magic, hugging them?! What’re they doing to stop-”

Rainbow Dash,” Twilight stomped a hoof and sighed loudly. “Ponies are doing their best. I’m speaking with top level government leaders and working with them to spread a message of peace, it’s all we can do right now.”

“No, it’s not,” Rainbow frowned as she began following Twilight again, “let’s take the fleet and-”

Twilight stopped and glared over her shoulder at Rainbow. “We are not flying over their cities. They’re at the throws of a full civil war and us flying over will only make matters worse. We have to work with their leadership,” Twilight exhaled in resignation and lowered her head, “it’s the only way to solve this. To solve what I’ve started.”

A gust of wind blew Twilight’s mane and she looked toward the gust. “I’m making sure you’re not a changeling that’s taken over the princess’ spot.”

“Rainbow, how’s a gust of wind going to show a changeling?” Rainbow held up a plate with a metal dome covering it.

“There’s only one way to know if you’re the real Twilight Sparkle,” she narrowed her eyes and uncovered the plate exposing a stack of melty, crispy, cheesy quesadilla’s. Twilight turned and stumbled back, tripping over her own hooves and falling to her flank as her tail curled around her.

She cowered in the face of pure evil, held in the command of what should have been her friend. “Twilight,” Rainbow’s voice called with a distorted echo. A blue foreleg pointed to the stack of gooey doom and scooped on from the top on a hoof. “Ponies are getting worried about you,” Rainbow took a loud bite, ripping the flour tortilla shell and dragging strings of cheese away from her mouth. She continued while chewing the eldrich horror.

“There’s something you oughta know, and we’ve got word from a couple unicorn guards that’ve been talking with your three helpers,” she took another bite and Twilight cringed as chewed evil met it’s unchewed friend, “and it sounds like the leadership isn’t really respected here. So I’m gonna tell you something and you’re gonna listen, or I’m gonna lock myself in your room with you and eat every, single, one of these,” Rainbow placed her two bit treat on top of its brethren, “in front of you.”

“Wh-w-what? What do you n-need to tell me? Ugh! Please, Rainbow, stop! Just swallow it already,” Twilight’s eyes watered as she pleaded.

“Nuh-uh. I might just have a quesadilla party, ship wide,” she giggled as she chewed loudly.

“You can’t still be chewing! It’s all soft! It’s all soft.”

“Mmm, and cheesy,” she finally swallowed and set the place on the deck where Twilight could see it. “Twilight,” Rainbow clopped her hooves together to get her attention, “these ponies aren’t like us. They’re not from Equestria, they don’t have harmony, and they don’t know what that is,” Rainbow Dash landed and slid the plate of doom away from Twilight, stepping between the stare off.

“You’re working with ponies that are kinda, well they think like Sombra.” Twilight snapped back to reality and looked at Rainbow’s aloof expression as the blue mare waved a hoof while she thought. “Ya see, he was all about, like, control and being the big boss, and I heard that’s what the Queen does here.”

Twilight inhaled sharply as her mind raced connecting events and words traded between the leadership she and Ambassador Sharp had been negotiating with. A flash of purple light and she left Rainbow alone with a long string of cheese hanging, dangling, from her chin. “Meh, more cheese for me!”

“Captain, take the fleet to cruising altitude and take us to the next city. Pull all banners and disarm the on deck crew. We’re going to meet the locals,” she smiled confidently.

He wasn’t as amused. “Good afternoon to you as well, Twilight. And why would we do that? Aren’t we risking-”

“I don’t believe so. Right now the natives don’t know that we’re really anything but heralds of the Windigoes, at best. Many are using it as an excuse to break the already fragile social order that’s been teetering on this for two generations, at least. By showing them we’re not a threat, and only defending ourselves if needed, we’ll calm the fears the rumors have made.”

He lowered his head and placed a hoof to his muzzle. “You barge into my ready room-”

“Teleported.”

“Teleported,” he said as he exhaled, “order me to go against everything you’ve told me over the past two days, risk putting my crew and the crew of each ship in the fleet in danger,” he stopped and looked up to her, “because you want to make a non-hostility gesture?”

Her smile faded as she nodded. He shrugged. “Sure, beats doing reports all day and night,” he gave her a wane smile, “but please, Your Highness, can you follow protocol when contacting me?”

She blushed and her gaze found some netting on the wall very interesting. “I apologized for teleporting into your room the other night. To you and Gunnery Sergeant Heart,” she grimaced.

“Yes, several times. We’re over it, and appreciate your candor in our relationship, but you really shouldn’t pop in whenever you feel.”

She looked back at him and nodded, keeping quiet.

“Very well, I’ll tell the crew to set sail. Would you care to join me, I believe Rainbow Dash has some snacks left.”

Twilight gulped, then looked at him and frowned playfully. “You told her to talk to me, didn’t you?”

“Maybe some things were said over an early lunch. And perhaps a certain phobia came up relating to our meal,” he walked past her and shrugged passively. “Never know these days. Crazy things happen all the time.”

“Well, let’s go and make ourselves known,” she followed him out and within half an hour they were away, climbing to nearly a half mile while heading over the town to the spire and beyond. Save for their unicorns ready to cast defences they were as disarmed as they could be with pegasi flying formations ahead of the fleet.

Rainbow Dash grinned as she finished donning her Wonderbolts uniform. “Finally, I get to do stuff. Hang on new ponies, Rainbow Dash is about to rock your world,” she grinned and left her room, quickly making her way through the decks, and out into the sky with a laugh. “Try to keep up, girls,” she spiraled to the lead of the ships.

Taking several minutes to warm up with various aerobatics she began to stunt fly over the city, her trail leaving a rainbow wake that no pony couldn’t see in the blue sky. Sounds of disrest quieted as she filled the sky for several minutes with patterns and shapes, finishing with a sonic rainboom that punctuated the message she’d been trying to make since she first graced the air with her presence.

“I. Am. Awesome!” she called as she made a single lap around the entire city before resuming her stunts to the growing cheers and awe of the ground bound locals. She looked down in slight shock as objects began to leave the ground and into the sky. She worried for a moment about being under attack until they began to explode in a variety of colors that were barely visible in the daytime light but still accented her tricks.

“Fireworks? That’s more like it!”


The next day for the fleet was spent making their way to the next nearest large city and repeating the performance by the aerial teams once night had fallen, punctuated by a sonic rainboom that struck the unicorns on the ground with awe and sent them in to cheers.

“Your Highness, Message from the Captain. Reports are in from advanced scouts that the word of our travels are spreading, unrest is tapering in expectation of our arrival,” a steward announced from Twilight’s doorway. She sat up taller and nodded.

“Thank you, is there anything else?” He shook his head and she dismissed him. Looking out the porthole with a smile she looked over the city they were passing over and noticed there were actually ponies camping on the roofs socializing. “There’s hope, yet.”

Twilight stood and placed her book onto the shelf, stretched and flexed before she made her way to the deck and leaping over the railing. A fly by the town’s central spiral while casting a colorful strobe spell to add to the show before returning to the ship with Rainbow Dash completed the show and roused the citizens into a roaring cheer from the ground.

“Doing these at night was a great idea, Twilight,” Rainbow said landing and breathing heavily with Twilight. “They’re totally loving my stunts. Fastest pegasi here, too.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “You’re the only pegasi that can say that because there aren’t any native pegasi here.”

“Still the best.”

“Okay, Rainbow. Anyway, that was a great show and did you see the crowds on the roofs? They were really looking forward to your show.”

“Well duh, it’s not like anypony else is gonna do a sonic rainboom.”

“And there’s reports from the higher government that the shows are working well at quelling these ponies’... issues.”

A voice cut into the mare’s conversations. “I’m not convinced. I’ve been talking to the leadership as well and they’re not being totally honest with you.”

“Ambassador Sharp, what have you to report?” Twilight asked.

“There are still ponies making a mention of us being a farce to keep them quiet. Many groups believe their inequality is the point of the riots and are using our arrival as an excuse to begin change. It’s not your fault this started, but it played a part.”

Twilight adopted a sullen expression while Rainbow frowned at him. “You’re more of a jerk than when you were on the crew.”

“I’m taking my job seriously,” he replied curtly, “just like when I was given the job without preparation, I have to roll with it and do my best,” he glanced to Twilight. “As it is, they’re more open to talking to me than Princess Twilight, it seems, and that’s not much since I’m still looked down upon as an earth pony.”

“Well maybe if you were nicer?”

He huffed at Rainbow. “I see your head is still in the clouds, Lieutenant Dash. I still hold higher rank than you and recommend you stow your gear before bringing insults that would tarnish your uniform.”

“Hey, buddy-”

Twilight wrapped Rainbow in her magic and moved her away from the stallion. “He’s right, you’re tired and not thinking straight. His job is diplomacy and he’s doing a fine job at it, better than I could right now. We need to take his advice to heart and work with it, okay?” she waiting as Rainbow went through a few expressions of frustration before nodding. “Go relax for a bit and I’ll meet you for supper in the gally, okay?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Rainbow replied as she was released and flew at a casual pace away.

Sharp moved closer and spoke with Twilight in hushed tones. “Twilight, there’s not much we can do right now to quell their unrest. It’s borderline anarchy at the moment and it’s political in nature.”

Twilight sighed. “Okay, and about the overchargers?”

“Thousands more, for any number of reasons. Fear of what we might do, protecting their families from rioters by taking them first, settling disputes, and of course political messages,” he lowered his head and sighed.

“We’re sighing a lot more than getting things done, I feel,” Twilight said then sighed.

He chuckled. “Yeah, it’s a lot of work to do this job. While I do want to be Commander again, I think I am doing well at this. I’ll speak with the captain about heading to the next city and directing our way to the capital city. The route I’ll lay out will be the most effective path to spread our message as best we can. We’ll be to the capital by next moon.”

Twilight nodded. “Okay, make sure the navigator looks it over but I trust you, that’s why I gave you the job, even if you don’t like it,” she snickered when he chuckled.

“Right, well, I’ll see you around, Your Highness,” he bowed his head and made to leave her.

“Ambassador, can you stop by my room tonight so we can go over,” she scuffed her hoof on the floor, “the plans?”

He rolled his eyes. “The way you talk about it makes it sound like we’re having-”

“Okay! Thanks, bye,” she hopped into the air with an awkward smile and flew around the deck to the other side of the mast.

He smiled as he turned to walk and bumped into one of Twilight's new friends. “Oh, hello Glitter. How are you?”

She closed her eyes tightly for a second. “I good. Watch light, pretty. Mother alligator?”

He cocked his head to the side. “Uh, ‘mother alligator?’”

She nodded and pointed over the railing to the city. “Mother, hrm,” she scrunched her face in thought and shrugged. “Good lights pretty. I good,” she nodded with a smile and waited for him to speak.

“I see your language classes are beginning. Perhaps I should take a class in your language, I’d understand what you’re trying to say. Anyway, I’ve got work to do, I’ll see you later,” he walked past her and stopped when she spoke again.

“Stomp, east Glubter?”

His ears swiveled as he turned back to her. “You want to eat with me?” he enunciated. When she nodded hesitantly he smiled. “Yes,” he pointed to the floor. “Go, I meet you soon.” She brightened and nodded, prancing past him and swatting his chest with her tail as she passed earning a blush from him. “Well, ahem, ah, yes… Where was I?” he mumbled to himself as various scents tingled at his nose and instincts. “Bah, supper sounds like a good place to remember.”

Twilight giggled as she watched their interaction from above with several other pegasi. “Now I know why Rainbow Dash is always hiding on a cloud over Ponyville.”

There were quiet nods in agreement as they watched Sharp catch up with Glitter. Twilight mused to herself about how quickly the trio had taken to earth ponies as companions over three days, and what that truly said about the views about them by the majority of natives. Tomorrow’s a good day to set out again, and we’ll have to plan the captain’s birthday later.

“Your Highness,” a voice called from behind Twilight, who groaned softly as she turned around and smiled as Gem, Shard, and Glitter bowed their heads as they cantered toward her.

“Look up!” Twilight shouted just before the trio of mares walked into a trio of stallions taking a moment to gossip. The six tumbled over each other onto the deck and the males frowned at the mares. “Are you okay?”

“Yes,” all six said in unison. The extricated themselves and after a round of honest apologies from the mares, the stallions moved down the deck to resume their conversation.

“Your highness, we apologize. It’s not as easy as we thought it would be to adapt to your ways. We’ve been having some issues with the others.”

“Gem’s right. They don’t want servants, or helpers, or cooks, or cleaners… our skills are limited and we feel we’re failing Your Highness.”

“Girls,” Twilight began, “you’re not failing me at all. Or the crew, or the ship. Have you asked the spa, they might need help.”

“They offered a job to Glitter but not the others of us. We asked to rotate between each of us but they declined the offer and recinded.”

Twilight sighed and pressed feathers to her temple. “How about this… massages. You give great massages so start your own massage business. How’s that sound?”

The mares were silent for a moment as they looked between each other. “Our own business?” Glitter asked dubiously. “Not that we question your word!” she added quickly and the others nodded fervently.

“We just don’t know about that.”

“What if we fail you?”

Twilight increased pressure to her head rubbing. “Then I order you to manage a way to start a massage business. Also, language; you need to learn ours and we need to learn yours. Start a language class, or two. I’m getting frustrated with all this and I know it’s not your fault,” she sighed and closed her eyes in thought. “And that reminds me that there’s not a lot of options for you three on board and you’re my responsibility because,” she groaned to herself, “fine. I need you three to follow me, we need help navigating the areas and it may work better with your knowledge and input. Why didn’t I think of this before?”

“You’re burdened with the weight of our world, Your Highness.”

“That was rhetorical,” Twilight snapped and turned around, leading them to the navigation room.

Twilight started in Equestrian. “Navigator Western Arrow, these three are here to help. You three,” she turned and maintained her linguistic stance, “help him find the routes. If there are any problems then contact me,” she looked at the three mares for a second and smiled. “I know you can do this, just help her plan the safest route to the capital city while covering several of the other outer cities on the path.”

The three were slightly confused at the directions but nodded all the same. Twilight left them and went to her room. “Finally, a chance to- Rainbow Dash?! What are you doing in my room this time?” she asked loudly as she slammed the door shut behind her.

Rainbow Dash screamed and hid under the covers, panting heavily, her ears moving with each of Twilight’s hoof stomps. When the covers were pulled down slightly the blushing pegasi smiled awkwardly. “I, uh, sleep in a hammock and needed a few minutes to relax… I didn’t think you’d be back so soon…” she looked into the narrowed eyes of Twilight. “Sorry, please don’t be mad.”

Twilight sighed and closed her eyes in resignation. “Look, if you wanted to do sit ups in bed you could have just asked or used the floor. I’m too exhausted to argue about why you think my bed is better for your exercising but it’s probably about time you got your own bed at this rate, if you don’t like your hammock.”

Rainbow looked at Twilight with an eyebrow up. “Yeeeah, that’s it. Uh, look, Twi. I love my hammock but there are times a bed works for some things better than others. Like working out certain muscle areas. Mostly hind quarters,” she smiled meekly. “Look, I’ll just get lost and catch ya in an hour for supper?”

“Actually, I can use the company, if you don’t mind. I’ve got so much on my mind and can use a friend to lay with.”

“Uh, yeah! Sure thing, just slide on in,” Rainbow scooted further aside and let Twilight climb in.

“Rainbow?”

“Yeah, Twi? What’s up?”

“Did you spill cider on my bed? It’s kinda wet over here and smells sweet.”

“Yup! That’s it. Totally that, what you said. Let’s just cover that up and-”

“Because I can use some if you have any left.”

Rainbow gulped. “Nope, all out. Not a drop left. Goodnight!” She began to fake snore.

Twilight looked to her side at the mare. “You know we still have to eat, right? I can eat out if you want to.”

“What?!”

“Eat. Out there. In the galley. I know there’s room service but I’d rather socialize, wouldn’t you?”

Rainbow sat up and groaned. “Okay, this’ getting too confusing. I’m gonna to wait in my hammock, get me when it’s time to eat out. I mean eat, Twilight. Going now!

The room was awash in a gale of wind as Rainbow flew from the bed to the door, opened it and closed it with the force of her flying into the hall leaving Twilight in bed, uncovered, alone, and confused. “I feel I should have asked Spike to come along.”


It’s been a month since we arrived near this land and so far it’s been one problem after another. As Princess and representative of Celestia I’m not going to let her down in this, there has to be a way to solve this. There has been a lot of support and acceptance of our arrival, there have been far less incidents of rioting and injury, and there’s always the hope that when we get to the capital in two days it’ll be to a warm welcome.

There’s hope for all this to resolve peacefully and soon we’ll meet the current Princess Platinum, once that happens we’ll be able to exchange words of peace and unity. I know this will end perfectly fine, it has to. There’s no other way it can end, right?!